I'm with You

The Odds of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: I would recommend you go back and read at least the end of the last chapter before reading this, just so you know what is going on :)

 

Although Sungmi really hated going to the toilet in the middle of the night, lately she had been going every other night. It was annoying to say the least. And it was on one of these late night ambles that she saw a couple of medics rushing through the darkness with frantic whispers and hurried steps. She watched them pass quickly, careful not to step in their way. She obviously assumed that something had happened.

“Did you see him?” one medic asked in a low tone. “I’ve never seen anyone so pale.”

“Well, he would be,” another said, hurrying along. “He was the only one to survive. The other fifteen were obliterated – totally.”

“So young,” the first one tutted before they disappeared from sight. His voice echoed over to Sungmi though. “Did you see the body of the one he took back? There was hardly anything left…”

Sungmi stood there for a moment, and though she might not have realised at the time, a part of her knew exactly what it was that they were talking about. She followed along behind them all the way to Minseok’s cabin. The three of them stood outside, still whispering until they caught Sungmi standing there.

“What are you doing up? Has something happened?” one asked her.

Swallowing with a little shake of her head, Sungmi stepped forwards. “I was just wondering, who you are here for?”

The medics shot each other a look. “We can’t really say.”

“Please,” Sungmi begged, stepping forwards again. “Please, is it about the group who set out a few days ago?” she asked, and it was then that she realised why she had followed them.

“Yes,” one of them replied with a curt nod.

“Did they all come back safe?” Although Sungmi had heard them say one of the men had lived, she wanted to be sure that she hadn’t made a mistake.

There was a little pause. “Well, no…” one said, shifting uncomfortably.

“Only one made it back,” another added as if to help hiscompanion.

“Only one?” Sungmi breathed out, feeling her chest tighten a little. Sehun’s face flashed through her mind and she felt a wave of panic flood through her. “W-what happened?”

One of the medics nodded towards the door of Minseok’s cabin. “That’s what they’re trying to work out.”

Sungmi’s eyes swept along the base of the door, where a slither of light could be seen. She stepped forwards again, but her legs felt a little weak. Sixteen of them had set out, and only one had returned. What were the chances that it was Sehun? One in sixteen? So what was that? About six percent?

“Was one of your teammates on that mission?” one of the medics asked, seeing the panic on Sungmi’s face and clearly taking pity on her.

“One of my closest friends,” Sungmi revealed, still staring at the door.

The medics offered her their condolences, but Sungmi wasn’t really listening. She couldn’t believe it. How could Sehun be dead just like that?

Before any more thoughts clogged up her mind, the door of the cabin opened, spilling light out into the darkness. Several captains left first, chatting away as if nothing had happened. Sungmi tried to look past them all, desperate to see who it was that made it.

A silhouette appeared in the doorway, impossible to identify because of the light behind his back. Sungmi took a little step forwards just as the figure did, and the light suddenly lit up his face.

Sungmi threw herself onto him without a second thought. “Oh my god,” she breathed, squeezing him tightly. “I thought…” She let the words die, not even wanting to entertain the idea any more. Her arms crawled up his back, bringing his head closer to hers.

She felt Sehun’s arms slowly stretch around her too, pulling her close to him. She only had a small waist, and he had long arms so he was able to easily wrap himself around her. She felt herself be lifted off the ground slightly, just enough for Sehun to straighten his back before setting her down again really slowly. Drawing back, Sungmi looked up at his face. His eyes were hollow, empty almost. She couldn’t put her finger on what it was. Tears had clearly fallen from his eyes, and his cheeks and nose were wet.

“Are you hurt?” one of the medics asked, breaking the moment.

Sehun pulled away from Sungmi a little, turning to the medics and giving a little shake of his head. Physically, he looked fine.

One medic came up to Sungmi and soothingly rubbed her back. “This one was worried sick about you,” he said, giving Sehun a little pat on the back. “That’s a good friend you’ve got there.”

Sehun’s eyes flicked to Sungmi who was now avoiding all eye contact like it was the plague as she thanked the retreating medics. When they were gone, silence fell over the pair of them. Sungmi glanced up at Sehun to see that he was still looking rather hollow,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter