Smoke without a Fire

The Odds of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A few weeks later, a strange development had happened in the camp. And that was that there were now rumours about an uous relationship going on in Sungmi's room. It was no mystery to its inhabitants who that could be.

What Kyungsoo and Sungmi couldn’t understand though, was how people had come up with this idea in the first place. They were both sure that neither Sehun nor Chen would have said anything about it to anyone considering their own embarrassment over the matter. In any case, the two of them were now hardly ever paired together by their captain anymore, and were careful about spending too much time together when they weren’t on duty too in case that evoked extra suspicion.

Sungmi was more paranoid than ever that someone would catch her out, especially since she had now garnered a lot of extra attention.

Baekhyun had also taken her under his wing in a way, frequently choosing her to accompany him when he went on the search for landmines. At first, Sungmi hadn’t really wanted to go because, obviously, it was dangerous. But she figured it was better to know what they looked like and how to deal with them rather than not and later be blown to pieces by one.

Sungmi had begun to wonder why Baekhyun was so into explosives, and why he was so good with them, so asked one day whilst they were patrolling.

“Dad was a bomb experts, brother was a bomb expert, I’m a bomb expert,” Baekhyun replied carelessly like it was no big deal. “Been playing with chemicals since I could walk. My chemistry scores are out of this world,” he bragged, smiling proudly as he finished up securing one of the bombs he was working with before throwing it carelessly into his backpack. Every time he did that, Sungmi jumped. She was no expert, but she was pretty sure he shouldn't be so relaxed with them, even if he was sure they were inactive.

“When you finish here, what is it you want to do?” she asked him as they started walking again.

Baekhyun blinked a little at the question, as if it wasn’t a suitable follow-up to her previous one. “I… want to teach kids about chemistry,” he finally said, sounding a little embarrassed. There was a light pink tinge to his cheeks as if to solidify that idea. “It’s what I’ve always loved, and if I can get ever one kid to love it the way I do, then I think I’ll be a happy man.”

Sungmi smiled when she heard this. It was so simple, yet so pleasant.

“What about you?”

“Me?” Sungmi looked up at him and saw him nodding. She sighed quietly. “I’ll have to get married soon, that’s what my mum wants. Then probably children, but I don't mind that so much. She wants grandchildren pretty soon," she said with a little chuckle, thinking back on her nagging. "I want to become a better medic first though.”

Baekhyun shot her a funny look, and it was then that she realised that her answer wasn’t very typical of a young man - or her brother.

“I’m strange like that,” she added with a forced chuckle. Sometimes it was so easy to act naturally around Baekhyun, almost too easy.

Humming a little, Baekhyun bent to the ground and began digging, clearly having found something. “My brother was like that, too.”

Sungmi remembered Baekhyun telling her that his brother was married with a child on the way now. She thought it was incredible after the injury he'd had. “How long did his rehab take?”

Baekhyun glanced up at her. “What rehab?” he asked, but his face was rather blank as he said it.

Sungmi rolled her eyes, crouching down to him. “Remember you told me that medics saved your brother’s life after his leg was almost blown off? I meant the rehab after that.”

Still staring at her, Baekhyun’s eye twitched for a moment, his gaze was unblinking though. "When?"

"We were sitting together," she said after t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter