Wide Awake

The Odds of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

AN: If you recall where we left off, Sungmi was running towards explosives...

 

Sungmi was aware of voices before much else, but that only came first by a tiny margin to the dull throbbing in her head. Although only now becoming conscious, she could tell that the throb had been there for quite a while now. She felt awful.

There was the sound of a monitor nearby, and from the beat of it, her heart was being recorded. There was a scratching sound that irked Sungmi’s senses too; the sound sending goosebumps up and down her spine. She couldn’t tell what was making it though. Her eyes were heavy as she lifted them, her gaze blurred to the world until she blinked four times which – thankfully – cleared them up nicely so that she could see what was going on around her, and more to the point, where she actually was.

The medical quarter, she quickly realised. And from her current view, it seemed that she was in one of the beds. That could only mean one thing: she was injured seriously.

On instinct, her hands flew to her chest in panic but she was quickly relieved to find that her bandages were untouched and her clothes were still untouched. She had never been so thankful that the medics here were severely overworked and so didn’t have time to check the entire bodies of those who had to come in for treatment. For her, it was a miracle and a blessing.

A medic passing by then seemed to notice that she was now awake because he made a detour to her bed when his eyes locked onto hers. He smiled at her rather simply.

“Glad you’re up,” he said with a patronising expression, but his voice sounded tired. It must have been a long night for them all.

Sungmi didn’t reply at first, merely blinking at the man which caused his smile to falter a little and he picked up her chart from the end of her bed, scanning it quickly.

“Can you understand me?” he asked her carefully, taking another step closer to her.

She nodded a little, seemingly putting his mind at rest even if only slightly.

“And do you remember what happened?” he pressed, brow creasing.

This time, she paused and thought. In reality, she had no idea why she was in the hospital wing. But she was sure that must have meant that she was injured somehow. The throbbing in her head should have been the giveaway, really. The last thing she remembered was Sehun and explosives, though she couldn’t piece together how they were connected, or what had ultimately happened to her.

“Se…hun…” she murmured aloud, more to herself than anything. The man heard it though, and mistook it.

“He was here earlier to check on you,” he told her, turning on his heels, “I’ll send someone to fetch him so we can work out exactly what happened to that head of yours.”

Sungmi could only blink after the man as he disappeared again. It was obvious that he didn’t know what had happened to her head either, but she was sure that hearing what about it would help to trigger some sort of memory about what actually happened.

Sehun returned very soon after that, with a very obvious injury to his head that looked like it had barely stopped bleeding.

When he saw Sungmi sitting up in her bed now, he smiled, looking relieved.

Sungmi’s eyes were fixed on the wound on his head though. She frowned a little. “What happened?”

“I don’t know, I think you–”

“No. To your head,” she interrupted quickly, pointing weakly to the gash on his forehead.

Sehun’s hand automatically went to the area, then flinched when his hand caught to flesh as if he had forgotten that it was there at all.

“Something hit me, I guess,” he replied dismissively, sitting down on the edge of her bed. “Don’t worry about it.”

Sungmi thought about arguing, but was distracted when Sehun gave her a rather pensive stare. She returned it with a frown.

“What?” she demanded, bristling uncomfortably under his gaze.

He cracked a smile at her petulance. “Your sister would be proud if she heard you say that,” he mused, still looking amused.

Sungmi almost shrunk back a little when she heard that, realising that it wasn’t a particularly Sunghee-ish thing to say.

“What happened to you out there?” Sehun asked, moving on quickly and not seeming to notice her internal battle. “I thought I told you to go back.”

Sungmi did indeed remember Sehun telling her to go back, but she couldn’t remember why exactly.

“Why did I need to go back?” she asked, frowning a little.

Sehun’s eyes flicked to the side as he thought back on the night before. “I thought you were hurt,” he said, looking back to her with concern. “When I found you, someone was attacking you so I figured you were hurt.”

That also came back to Sungmi when he said it. She could remember Sehun saving her life and killing the man like he was a bug. Her hands subconsciously went to her neck where she felt bandages covering her marred skin.

“What happened after that?” she murmured quietly, eyes far away as she tried to think.

Sehun shook his head, teeth worrying his lip a litt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter