Chapter 1

Out of the Ordinary

Noise filled the hallways. Students stood outside classrooms with their friends and chatted away. Some tried to take care of last minute homework that was not finished because they were out partying too late the night before or it was procrastination at its finest.

 
Baekhyun walked quietly with his head down towards his locker. Baekhyun must have really bad luck because his locker was situated by the "Athletic Hall." The Athletic Hall was where all the sporty people are put together. It's where all the popular and well liked people are. It was an entire hallway dedicated just for people like them. Albeit it wasn't all athletic people in that hall. Some were just normal people like him but the only difference between him and them was that they were well liked and he wasn't. People might wonder why being near them would be so bad. If one were anyone but Baekhyun he or she would be thrilled to be so close to the "idols" of the school but being that he is Baekhyun, he wasn't so thrilled. Not because he despised them or anything but he sure didn't have very good memories of them. Maybe it was the aura that he gave off, but Baekhyun always finds himself in a situation where no one wants to be in. Usually it's insults and nothing physical but once in awhile he would end up going home after visiting the nurses office. 
 
Having arrived at his locker, Baekhyun opened it as fast and discreetly as he can to avoid any attention that he might bring. As usual luck was not on his side. Before he can even remotely open the locker to its full potential, someone not so gently slammed it shut. Baekhyun thanked the heavens for his fast reflexes otherwise he would have broken fingers already and morning classes didn't even start yet.
 
"We'll look who final showed up this fine morning," a tall guy who had a slight accent and blonde hair mockingly said to Baekhyun.
 
"Good morning, Kris," Baekhyun said as he slowly looked up fearfully at the boy.
 
"No need to converse. Where is it?" 
 
Baekhyun took the bag that he was carrying and put it on the ground. He crouched down and opened the bag to grab the papers that he worked so hard on last night. 
 
"Here, five pages for English, math, and the research paper for history." Baekhyun handed the stack of paper over to Kris.
 
"Outta boy. Since you did such a good job meet me here after classes and I'll give you your reward and by reward I don't mean money. Now get out of my way before people see I'm even talking to you." Kris shoves Baekhyun to walk back to his group of friends. 
 
Baekhyun goes back to what he was doing before and this time was able to open the locker while ignoring the sniggers in the background. He takes out everything in his bag and only puts back the supplies he needs for his morning classes. Closing his locker Baekhyun starts heading to class. On the way Baekhyun keeps his head low to be as invisible as possible. By doing this allowed only verbal insults thrown across the halls and nothing physical. 
 
"Why is he such a creep?" 
 
"He looks so weak. I can't believe someone can be so tiny."
 
"Is he even a man?"
 
"Should we check?"
 
"Hey Nerd! Come here-" before things escalated to far judging by the course of the conversation, Baekhyun ran the last steps to his class.
 
Opening the door, Baekhyun took one step forward and was halted in his steps. Instead of seeing the lecture hall, he was greeted by a very hard chest pressed up against him. 
 
"I'm sorry-" Baekhyun started to apologize softly but was cut off.
 
"Watch where you're going . Hey Yifan I'll see you later and you better tell me what happened last night!" A tall guy shouted before he pushed Baekhyun to the side and left. 
 
Hearing an unfamiliar name Baekhyun looked up. He knew everyone that was in his class and there was no one named Yifan. Then he realized that the rumor he heard last week must be true. That Kris and Yifan were the same person.
 
Throughout the whole interaction, Baekhyun dare not to face the guy he bumped into for fear of gaining another bully. After being shoved aside he took a deep breath and signed that he was only presented with a shove and a scoff before he was left alone. It was probably better to avoid the person he just bumped into considering the guy just referred to Kris as Yifan. Everyone knows that Kris' real name was Yifan and only those who were real close to him were allowed to call him that unless people wanted to be killed, they followed that rumor. Baekhyun would like to avoid anything that has to do with Kris and his posse anyway.
 
Baekhyun walked into the room and took a seat at the front of the class. Sitting in the front usually prevented any unwanted things to happen since it was right in front of the teacher, but it was also better for understanding the lesson. It gave the students better perspective since the teachers usually only interact with those close. 
 
The first class was English and today there was a test which means once a student finishes, he or she can just leave. Baekhyun took out his pen and waited for the test to be handed out. Five minutes later the whole class was quiet except for the sound of scratches and some curses. Baekhyun worked through the questions without a hitch and was the first one finished. He took out his essay that was due today to hand in along with his finished test. 
 
Walking to the front he handed the test and essay to the teacher.
 
"Well done Baekhyun. As always, you're first to finish." 
 
"Thank you Mr. Kim and have a good day." Baekhyun replied with a whisper so as to not disturb the other students that were still testing and left the class.
 
Checking the time on his phone, Baekhyun realizes that he has three hours to spare before his next class. With so much time he decides to go to the library to study for the upcoming exam in his math class. 
 
Walking in an empty hall was surprisingly pleasant. Without the insults and comments left the halls peaceful and silent. Baekhyun took his time to savor the moment since he never knows when he'll get to have this again. 
 
Once he reached the library, Baekhyun found an isolated table near the back and occupied it with his bag and books. Leaving his belongings on the table, he continued into the shelves filled with books. 
 
After finding what he wanted Baekhyun went back to the table to do some practice problems. He was able to study in peace for about half an hour before he heard bickering in the background. Turning around, Baekhyun found a couple fighting and decided that it was time for him to leave before things got ugly.
 
With more than two hours to spare, Baekhyun decides to go to the cafeteria to get breakfast. He was starting to feel hungry anyway.
 
Once again Baekhyun starts walking in the hall in peace. Except this time after five minutes classroom doors start opening and students pour out into the hallway. Noticing this, Baekhyun walks a little faster to get away from the commotion. It's times like these that Baekhyun wishes the building wasn't so big. The library and cafeteria were on opposite sides. From one end of the building to the other took roughly fifteen minutes. These fifteen minutes were pure torture. Insults were thrown at him and Baekhyun had to be careful of where he stepped because there were many feet stuck out just waiting for him to trip.
 
"Yo nerd! Why are you so ugly?"
 
"Were you dropped as a baby?"
 
"What is wrong with him? Hey! Why are you so quiet? Are you mute?"
 
"You don't have to ask him anything. Everyone knows he won't answer anyway. He only exists to take up space."
 
"Man I know! What a waste of air on something so useless."
 
Baekhyun tried to hold in the tears that were forming in his eyes as he speed walked through the hall. Today the insults just seem to double in harshness and amount. 
 
Finally reaching the cafeteria, Baekhyun quickly went in and grabbed a tray to put food on. He took some eggs and bacon on a plate and grabbed an apple before going to the line to pay for his breakfast.  
 
The cashier gave Baekhyun her usual smile once he reached her and said, "no strawberry milk today Baek?"
 
"Not today Taeyeon noona," Baekhyun replied.
 
"That'll be $8.50."
 
"Here you go and have a nice day noona."
 
"Okay take care of yourself Baek."
 
Out of everyone in school Taeyeon was the closet to a friend that Baekhyun had. She was pretty, nice and popular. Baekhyun didn't know why she acknowledges him but even so he feels happy that there is someone who cares about him. 
 
 
 
 
"There is an exam today and you will all be given two hours to complete it. Once done you may leave the class. If caught cheating in any way you will receive a zero and a F for this semester. Do we all understand?" The teacher stared at the class intensely to show that he meant business.
 
The students stared back at the teacher and all replied in unison with a "yes!"
 
Completing his second exam in record time once again Baekhyun left his second class and proceeded to go to his locker. Grabbing the necessary things he leaned against his locker waiting for classes to end. Baekhyun dreaded the meeting with Kris for his "reward." He knew it wasn't going to be anything good but he didn't dare defy Kris' command. 
 
Baekhyun jumped when he felt someone shove papers into his arms.
 
"These are due by the end of next week. Finish it and give it back the day before it's due. If the job done is not up to par be ready for your punishment." Kris said with a glare. 
 
Baekhyun felt a shiver go down his back with the threat Kris made. Nodding at the command Baekhyun put the stack of paper in his bag and reorganized himself to head home.  Kris shoved him against his locker before he left. Baekhyun stared at the retreating back and saw that there was another giant waiting in the back. The last thing he saw was the giant slinging and arm across Kris' shoulders before he turned away from them and left through the doors of the school.
 
 
 
 
Arriving home to the aroma of his mothers cooking was always the best part of Baekhyun's day. The scent of spices and and the thickness of the smell that he can almost taste it on his tongue tells him that his mother is making curry.
 
"Mom! I'm home!" Baekhyun shouted while taking his shoes off before entering the house.
 
Baekhyun see's a middle aged woman enter the front of the house to greet him.
 
"Welcome honey. How was your day?"
 
"The usual. I smell curry, do you need help in the kitchen?"
 
"Everything is almost done so you can just wash your hands and situate yourself in the dining room. We will have a guest tonight so make yourself presentable."
 
Following his mothers order Baekhyun goes to his room to change out of his school clothes. Baekhyun turns on the music and SNSD is blasted through the speakers. He walks back out to the hall and heads to the bathroom to wash his hands. Not wanting to look like a mess in front of the unknown guest tonight, he changes into and jeans and a t-shirt. 
 
"Honey! Come down and get the door please. Also turn down the music would you? How many times do I have to tell-" Baekhyun hears his mother complaining and he just smiles thinking about how his mother is trying to scold him but never really had the heart to. Baekhyun is so thankful to have a very loving family and even though his father isn't with them, they still keep in contact and visit each other once in a while.
 
"Ok mom!" Running to the door, Baekhyun opens it and was surprised at who stood at the doorstep.
 
"Dad!" Baekhyun shouts before running into his father's embrace to give him a hug.
 
"Hey sport, how have you been."
 
"Fantastic now. I missed you so much." Baekhyun replies and the sight of his father is making him emotional that tears are forming in the corner of his eyes.
 
 
 
At the dining table his parents converse about what each have been doing and if anyone were to see them right now, it would be so evident that this was a happy family. Baekhyun smiles at his parents and wonders how he got so lucky to be born to such a perfect family. Just by looking in the eyes of his parents, he could tell that even after all these years they are still so madly in love with each other. Seeing the sight in front of him, Baekhyun wonders when he'll find the one. 
 
After a happy reunion with his father Baekhyun bids his parents goodnight and heads to his room. Baekhyun undresses himself and heads to the bathroom to brush his teeth and to take a soothing shower. 
 
Stepping in the shower Baekhyun hisses at the pain the hot water inflicts on his still bruised wounds. Being very careful Baekhyun scrubs his body softly as to not disturb the cuts. Baekhyun signs at the cuts and bruises caused by a someone who bumped into him last week but refused to acknowledge his mistake. Baekhyun had tried to apologize even though it wasn't his fault but it his irritation must have shown in his voice because the next thing he knew, he was on the ground withering in pain with his palm on his cheek. More hits and kicks followed after and it didn't stop until the guy got bored.
 
Baekhyun came out of his reverie when soap got into his eyes. He washed his face and rinsed his head and body and stepped out of the shower. After dressing in his pajamas Baekhyun dove into his bed and pulled the blanket to cover himself. He closed his eyes and sleep took over as he dreamed about finally finding love and meeting his soulmate.
 
Again.
 
A/n: not much happened in this chapter but I wanted to give some insight on Baekhyun's family. Things should start to heat up next chapter. Thanks to all the people who subscribed and I hope you all continue to show lots of love for this story!