Extra chapter - Favours and Girlfriends

Placebo

“Hey, Hyo?”

 

“Wassup, shikshin?” Hyoyeon said absently, eyes still glued to the game console in her hand. She had been addicted to it since her roommate introduced her to this new Mario game, offhandedly challenging her to beat her high score. Hyoyeon had taken the challenge as a personal attack on her, loudly claiming that Sunny better get her ready because she was so going to beat it. Sooyoung had looked over Hyoyeon’s shoulder one time as she cursed at being beaten once again. Hyoyeon hadn’t even gotten half of Sunny’s lowest score.

 

“What does your roomie like.. oh, I dunno.. what she likes to eat? Or like, does she like a certain author?” Sooyoung carefully asked, throwing shifty glances over her shoulder. It had been a while since the whole buying her silence with a game card fell apart. Sooyoung had been on alert for any signs of Hyoyeon’s diminutive roommate, almost bordering paranoia. Being around the company she had, needless to say, it was nerve-wracking how the weeks had passed in total peace. Nothing blowing up in her face, no weird things in her food or anything of the like. But that God damned smirk was always present every time she chanced to come across the roommate. It was maddening.

 

“Dude, she’s my roommate, doesn’t automatically makes us close friends.” Hyoyeon’s brows furrow, her brown eyes shifting from the console to Sooyoung’s face for a brief second. “On second thought.. Did you-” The shrill background song took a sudden dip which causes Hyoyeon’s wide gaze to snap back to the small screen. “No! No! I only took my eyes off for a few seconds!”

 

Hyoyeon slams a closed fist against the table, startling a few of their peers sitting close to their table. Sooyoung pays them no mind, her thoughts already trying to pick apart what she could remember from the few visits she had at Hyoyeon’s dorm room.

 

Unfortunately, nothing in particular jumps up to her. The shared room was always clean. Not immaculately so, but for a room housing two teenaged girls it was relatively free of the usual clutter. Clothes were put away, books and games arranged in their respective shelves. Even their beds were always made. Sooyoung was by far no slob, but even her bed wasn’t always made up. It was hard enough to stay up early in the morning.

 

“Sooyoung!” A nudge to her elbow snaps her back to the present. She turns a questioning eye to Hyoyeon, feeling her breath hitch at the sight of another blond peering curiously at her. The girl smiles, her lips curling to that akin to a cat, a very blond cat.

 

“S-Sunny-ssi, ah.. hullo.” Sooyoung nodded her head in greeting, her eyes wandering to the gold, extremely short hair.

 

“Sooyoung-ssi.” Sunny greeted back, smile still present. “I hope you don’t mind me joining you today.”

 

Sooyoung had to restrain her facial expression and shook her head. “Not at all. Please.” She motioned to the empty seat beside Hyoyeon, diagonal to where she sat. Close enough to observe, but far enough not feel too paranoid. Sooyoung let her eyes fall onto her meal, her stomach suddenly not up to finishing her food.

 

Her eyes wandered back to Sunny, her golden hair extremely distracting.

 

“Your hair…” she voiced out, still unbelieving of the sight.

 

Sunny’s grin widened, a hand went up to flip the short golden strands. “Like it?”

 

“Uh.. it- it suits you very well.”

 

Sunny’s eyes curved into upturned crescents, and for a brief second Sooyoung was reminded of a playful Yuri and one sly Tiffany. She swallowed nervously, paranoia rising to an all-time high. “Thank you for the compliment, Sooyoung-ssi.”

 

Sooyoung’s answer, or lack thereof, is interrupted by a frustrated “Aw, God damn!” and a game console being carelessly discarded on the table top. Sunny’s playful aura disappeared as she reached up to slap the back of a grumbling Hyoyeon’s head. The force sends Hyoyeon’s head jerking a good few inches, almost making her face plant on her empty tray.

 

“Yah!” Sunny shrilled, glaring darkly at the other blond. “Treat that with care. I don’t go around throwing your things. I’d appreciate it if you respect my things in return.”

 

“Ow! That freaking hurts!” Hyoyeon gripes, furiously rubbing the back of her head. “Damn Sunny, it was just a small toss! I’ve seen you throw that thing around enough to say that that’s one sturdy Gameboy.”

 

“It’s mine! I see you tossing that like a rag doll again and you’re seriously gonna get it. Got it?”

 

“Okay! Jesus! I hear you loud and clear, boss.” Hyoyeon back pedalled from her seat, swiping the console from the table. Grabbing her tray she pauses long enough to catch Sooyoung’s eyes, subconsciously gives a twitch of her eyelid, and she straightened up. “See you later, Sun.”

 

“Bye, Hyo. Oh, Sooyoung-ssi can I have a word?” Sunny sweetly asked.

 

“Uh…” Sooyoung is caught in an awkward position between standing up. She shoots a panicked look at Hyoyeon, but the blond was already making her way to the rubbish bins. By then Sunny had pushed her tray directly opposite Sooyoung, reaching to quickly brush her hand over hers. Sooyoung plops back down her seat, internally screaming, looking at anywhere except the smiling blond.

 

“How are you?” she began.

 

“Fine.” Sooyoung replied tightly. Her whole body was tense and she was trying not to show it. “Just doing regular stuff, you know. You?”

 

“You’re trying to buy my silence.” It wasn’t a question.

 

“W-well… buying is..” she lets loose a few nervous chuckles, one hand coming up to fiddle with her collar. “I-I-I wasn’t- didn’t mean it like that.. It was a.. ah.. thank you, for not telling her it was me.”

 

“Um-hm. And you used her to send me your thank you gift.”

 

“Oh-err.. th-tha-that was not very clever of me.” Sooyoung replied sheepishly, lowering her eyes on her tray.

 

Sunny smiles a little. “You couldn’t have just come to me and thank me in person?”

 

“Well..” she rasped, feeling hot under her collar. She fidgeted in her seat, boring holes at the half eaten kimbap.

 

“Sooyoung-ssi, look at me. I don’t bite.”

 

Sooyoung made a weird choking sound, caught just as she was taking a breath. She raised her eyes, fixing them at the short blond hair. “I-uh.. really do like your hair. It’s-uh… a very bold choice.”

 

Sunny’s smile widens at the compliment, her eyes curving down to those terrifyingly familiar crescents. She lifted a hand to self-consciously brush the end of her boy cut. “You know, I do like being complimented, but that’s not why I’m asking for your attention.”

 

“Right.. uh.. you’re here to collect on a favour?” Sooyoung guessed, hoping that was not the case. The second appearance of the eye smile shoots down her hope and she begins to sweat nervously.

 

“Right you are, Sooyoung-ssi. You are definitely smarter than my roommate. Tell her I said that and I will deny it to my last breath.” Sunny laughed heartily. Sooyoung laughed along with her, feeling like her nerves were fried. She took a quick sweep of the cafeteria, spotting Hyoyeon animatedly talking to somebody near the doors. It doesn’t look like she would be receiving help from her.

 

“I hope it’s not something that’ll bankrupt me.” She says hoping to pass it as a joke despite her voice slowly losing the strength she usually possessed.

 

“Nope, not at all. I just need help getting rid of a… ah.. particularly pesky problem.”

 

Sooyoung made a face. “I hope it’s not an actual pest problem.”

 

“It’s not.” Sunny rolls her eyes. “I just need to you pretend to be my girlfriend.”

 

Sooyoung’s brows shot up. She leaned back, turning to look over her shoulder again. “Oh, is it just that?”

 

Sunny nodded her head once, her cat-like grin still in place. Sooyoung sighed, the side of her lips quirking up. “Well, in that case, let me just say, that was a very good joke, but it’s lacking. Did Hyoyeon put you up to this? That little twerp. What is she planning now?”

 

“I am dead serious, Sooyoung-ssi.” Sunny calmly replied, her smile going down a notch.

 

It took a while for Sooyoung to respond, opting to stare at Sunny like she was waiting for her to crumble and reveal the joke. “But you’re a girl.” Sooyoung pointed out, trying her best to keep her voice nice and low. “And I’m a girl.”

 

“Yes. That’s why I’m asking you to pretend to be my girlfriend. Notice I’m not saying boyfriend.”

 

“But why me?” Sooyoung squeaked. She threw a glance over her shoulder, checking if anyone had heard her. Coughing into her hand she lowered her head, meeting Sunny’s calm gaze with her own troubled ones. “Why not Hyo?”

 

“Why not you? I’ve seen you act. You’re pretty good. And I don’t trust that fruitcake with this. I can’t even understand her sometimes. Wiphra Ofrey, who the hell is that?” Sunny scoffed.

 

“Wiphra? Oh, My God, that idiot.” Sooyoung sighed, palming her face in embarrassment of her best friend’s stupidity. She suddenly shot up from her seat, leaning her body over the table with fire in her eyes. Her suddenness caught Sunny by surprise and she gave the other girl a wide eyed look, her hand shooting up to her chest protectively. Sooyoung doesn’t notice.

 

“Alright, fine, you need an actress, I can recommend you one of the best. You might know her from the last theatre showing. Im Yoona? You know her right? She gets really into her character and she owes me, so I can assure you she won’t give you any problems.”

 

“Wait. Wait. Wait!” Sunny swiftly held up her hand, stopping Sooyoung from desperately selling her own friend. She took three quick breaths, leaning back to give them both an appropriate amount of distance. “As I recall, it’s you who owes me one. I do not know Yoona. I know you. I’ve seen you act, you’re a natural. Look, I just need this guy off my back. I told him I was gay and that I already have a girlfriend, but he wouldn’t believe me.”

 

“Wouldn’t belie- hah.” Sooyoung sat back with a plop, not caring for the people around her as she dug her fingers through her hair in frustration. “You do know I’ve done kissing scenes in a few of our plays. With guys.” She hissed.

 

“So?” Sunny asked unconcerned, returning to her meal now that Sooyoung wasn’t pushing her face into hers.

 

“So? Do you seriously think that this guy’s going to believe you if you suddenly take me to him and announce we’re together? I know I haven’t exactly been gallivanting with guys, but don’t you think it’s gonna sound and look fishy? No one’s ever seen me with you before.”

 

“You’ve gone into my room.”

 

“For Hyo.”

 

“And only you, Hyo and I know that.”

 

“Exactly!” Sooyoung jumped at the thought. “No one else knows, so that’s irrelevant.”

 

“No one else knows, yes. So we make up a rumour. You know nothing goes past this school faster than a rumour.”

 

“Hah… but.. but I don’t like girls..”

 

“And you don’t have to. I really just want this guy off my back. You know how fast rumours come and go. Some believe them, others don’t. When the rumour gets to him, he’ll be looking for me to verify that himself, but what he’ll see is the both of us hanging out, just the two of us. He backs off and I’ll be out of your hair. See, easy.”

 

“Sounds easier than it is…” Sooyoung muttered, reaching up to agitatedly tug at her earlobe. “But seriously, a rumour that we’re gay? You don’t think people are going to go nuts about it? If people ask me I’m downright telling them I am not gay.”

 

“No you can’t, not now. Just smile and keep quiet. Keep them guessing, but don’t give them a direct answer until we’re finished.”

 

“How are you not bothered by it?”

 

“Why should I? Just a rumour. It’ll pass.”

 

“But people are going to label you as queer. Doesn’t that bother you, even a tiny bit?”

 

“Does it really bother you that much?” Sunny finally took her gaze off her food, looking straight at Sooyoung and tilted her head curiously. “I mean, I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but when you talked about your junior and her liking this other girl… I thought you were cool about it.”

 

“Ah- I-I am. I mean, I have nothing against them. A-and I’m glad Y- my junior finally found someone who makes her want to give dating a go, but…”

 

“You’re not comfortable being labelled as one.” Sunny finished for her. curved down in a small frown, digging absently at her meal. “If you’re really that uncomfortable…” Sunny sighed, unconsciously reaching to brush her hand through her hair. “Alright. I hope your friend won’t mind.”

 

Sooyoung let out a long sigh, shoulders deflating, resting her heavy head on the table.

 

“Alright.”

 

 

 

 

 

“If I have a date in a fast food place, does that mean I can wear casual clothes?” Sooyoung asked as soon as her back rested against the locker beside Hyoyeon’s.  “Or would I still need to wear something smart casual? Wouldn’t I look overdressed then?”

 

“What the hell is with those questions Soo?” Hyoyeon looked her friend up and down, a sneer on her lips.

 

“I have a date soon.” Was Sooyoung’s dull answer. Hyoyeon quirks a brow at the taller girl and rolls her eyes.

 

“Okay, congrats.” She said sarcastically.

 

“Which reminds me.” Sooyoung perked up. She turned an inquisitive look to her friend. “Do you have plans tonight?”

 

Hyoyeon hummed, propping her leg against the locker below hers to have easy access to her backpack. “I’ll be hanging out with Park and the rest of the dance crew. They said we’ll be hitting the streets tonight. There’s a dance-off and our rival group would be there. So-”

 

“Cancel your plans. You’re staying in tonight.” Sooyoung intervened, wincing at the responding book slapping against her shoulder.

 

“The hell you think you’re talking to? You’re not my mother.” Hyoyeon sneered, tempted to flip her friend the bird, hindered by the current stream of students passing through the corridors before the next period. Not that she was one of those wholesome students, but who knows if a teacher was lurking around the corner. Last thing she needed was detention of ‘bad behaviour’.

 

“Alright, go and have fun with your dance crew. But tonight, while I have a serious discussion with Sunny-ssi, I’ll be putting super glue on everything I see on your side.”

 

Another slap. Sooyoung hisses as she turns her shoulder away, rubbing at her smarting arm.

 

Hyoyeon glares darkly at her, shaking the stinging around her palm. “Why the hell are you meeting with Sunny? When have you been buddy-buddy with her anyway?”

 

“Since you left me with her at lunch time. Why the hell didn’t you warn me?”

 

“I didn’t know what she needed from you. She asked if we ate together. All I said was yes.”

 

“And you left me with her.”

 

“I have been subjected to her wrath. I know enough not to piss her off.”

 

“You left me with her!” Sooyoung repeated, her face turning red. “I can’t believe you! Some best friend you turn out to be.”

 

“Oh, shut it. If you knew her like I do, you’d do the same.”

 

“Knew who like what?” An airy voice suddenly joined their conversation.

 

“Jesus, where’d you come from?!” Hyoyeon breathed, slapping a hand to her chest. Sooyoung had jumped back, crashing against the lockers in her haste, garnering stares from the students passing by. She grinned, waving them off and sent a peeved look at her junior.

 

“hm..” Yoona gave a small shrug, slipping at the space in between her two favourite seniors. She had a blank look to her, glassy eyes staring forward but not really seeing anything. She looked almost zombielike, except for the dopey grin that doesn’t seem like it was going away anytime soon.

 

‘What’s the matter with her?’ Sooyoung mouthed, jerking her chin towards an oblivious Yoona.

 

‘The hell should I know?” Hyoyeon mouthed back. She reached up, tapping Yoona’s forehead with two fingers “Hello, anybody in there?”

 

Yoona merely swatted away the probing fingers, dopey grin and glassy eyes still present.

 

“You look stupid with that dope grin on your face.” Sooyoung finally voiced, simultaneously snapping her fingers by Yoona’s ear, in case she didn’t hear her.

 

“Unnie..”

 

“What?”

 

“I was kissed.” Yoona sighed dreamily, one hand coming up to rest against her cheek. “I was kissed, right here.”

 

“Kissed?” Sooyoung and Hyoyeon exchanged glances, one grim, the other a little smug. “By who?”

 

“But I didn’t say anything back. I was caught off guard.” A frown slowly took over her features.

 

“Im Yoona, tell us who kissed you.” Sooyoung asked again, tapping her finger against the locker beside Yoona’s head to try and catch her attention. The girl seems oblivious to it as she began digging into her pocket.

 

“I should have said something. But she walked away before I could say anything. What do I do now? I was supposed to say something, right.” She finally pulled out her cellular device, still ignoring the impatient tapping beside her ear and the frustrated look crossing Sooyoung’s face.

 

“But what does it mean? Are we- are we girlfriends now?” She looked to Sooyoung and then Hyoyeon, both girls too taken aback by her sudden question.

 

“What do you mean by that?” Hyoyeon cocked her head to the side.

 

“Did Juhyun kiss you?” Sooyoung followed. Hyoyeon pushed her head aside, scowling at Sooyoung’s insensitivity. Sooyoung reaches back to do the same, knowing Hyoyeon was only trying to delay the inevitable.

 

“Do- do I still need to properly ask her? I should call Yuri-unnie, she’d know what to do.”

 

“What? You’re calling that black bean pole when we’re right here.” Hyoyeon blurted out, giving her junior a faux look of offence.

 

Yoona looked between the two of them, pursing her lips in thought for a few seconds. “But you guys have never been in a relationship.”

 

“Yah! You little.” Yoona skittered away from the two as Hyoyeon raised her hand. Sooyoung looked too affronted to do anything but stare disbelievingly at her. She gave the two an exaggerated flying kiss, giggling as she scurried into the throng of students.

 

“Yesh, that little kid.” Hyoyeon huffed. “I otta smack some respect into her.”

 

“She totally meant Juhyun.” Sooyoung grinned, patting Hyoyeon’s shoulder. “Don’t forget tonight. I’ll have a tube of superglue ready.” She gave her one last pat merging with the flow of students.

 

~~~

A/N: I totally didn't forget them.