Chapter 12 - Match and Anchor

Placebo

It was hot. The consistent wave of heat was starting to leave a light sheen of sweat on the foreheads of those that had gathered out at the open space. None seemed perturbed by the heat as they continued chatting amiably with each other as they ate. And there, at the middle of it all was Jessica in her own ragtag group. Jessica who sat still, tolerating the heat of the sun, staring at the two girls eating- no, devouring their third round of a nearly complete meal. The two have stopped sharing a long time ago.

 

“Unnie, are you going to eat that?” Yoona asked, pausing in between bites to point at Jessica’s half eaten burger from two plates ago.

 

Jessica, unblinking, followed Yoona’s finger to her own plate, then back to Yoona’s expectant face.

 

How could one stuff so much food in one sitting and have that slim of a figure? Admittedly Jessica had quite the appetite too, though recently she had gained a bit of weight and had to exercise caution with her intake unless she wanted the pounds to show. Maybe it was because of the hyperactivity of the girls? Causing trouble does seem like a physically draining activity.

 

She pushed her plate towards the grinning girl. “Go crazy.”

 

“Yoong share!” Sooyoung, who had watched the exchange with rapt attention, reached out for the burger, only to have her hand swatted away.

 

“No way, Sica-unnie gave this to me!”

 

“Aw come on. Just a tiny bit.”

 

“Youngie, don’t fight with the maknae.” Tiffany lightly berated Sooyoung. Yoona nodded her head vigorously and stuck her tongue out.

 

“We’re the same age.” Sooyoung protested.

 

Hyoyeon snorted. “And just this morning you were arguing with me about our age.”

 

“No you don’t get it. Though we” she indicated between Yoona and herself. “are the same age, I am still older. Plus Yuri and I only have a 2 month , so if you really think about it there’s not much of a difference between you guys and me.”

 

“We have a 5 month gap, and you have nearly a year with Taengoo. I’d say that’s pretty big of a gap.”

 

“Details!”

 

“You’re contradicting yourself.”

 

“Shut up and just eat Hyo.” Hyoyeon grinned smugly, knowing she had won the battle, again.

 

“I’ll go get you guys more. My ’s aching from sitting down to long.” Yuri volunteered, already rising from her seat. “You guys want anything in particular?”

 

“Two hamburgers with lots of ketchup, unnie.” Yoona requested.

 

“Three of the same, but pick the one with the biggest meat.” Sooyoung followed up.

 

“And lesser lettuce and onion.”

 

“And add mayo, Yuri.”

 

“And more…”

 

“Okay! I’ll get whatever they have with ketchup and more veggies with less mayo. Got it.” Yuri interjected, waving her hand flippantly as she started to walk away from hearing range.

 

“That’s not what I said! Kwon Yuri, are you even listening. Aish, that “health” freak.” Sooyoung grumbled, biting a huge chunk off her hamburger.

 

“If you stuff your face anymore you’ll get indigestion, stupid.” Hyoyeon said, reaching over to land a hard slap at Sooyoung’s back. The latter’s eyes bulged, catching her breath, nearly choking on the food in her overfilled mouth. Swallowing a partial amount, to make sure nothing was clogged up, her eyes narrowed at Hyoyeon, fist curling up right into her face in warning.

 

Unable to contain her curiosity Jessica finally asked. “Do you guys always fight like this?”

 

“Don’t be fool Sica-unnie, even though we’re like this on a daily basis, we’re as thick as thieves.” Yoona proudly proclaimed. To prove Yoona’s statement right Sooyoung swung an unoccupied arm around Hyoyeon’s neck to bring the girl closer to her. In a split second though the former suddenly decides to pucker up and tried to press a wet, sloppy, crumb-filled kiss on Hyoyeon’s cheek.

 

“Get back to your seat you disgusting pig of a human.” Hyoyeon snapped, harshly pushing Sooyoung’s face away from hers.

 

“Aw.. Hyorengi, why so violent?” Sooyoung whined in her own way of being cute. Hyoyeon sneered at her while Yoona violently threw her head back and let out a quick bark of a laugh, which in turn started up Taeyeon’s own unique ahjuma laughter.

 

“Ae… what did I do in my past life to deserve this?” Hyoyeon mutters. Crossing her arms over her chest she began restlessly scanning their surroundings.

 

“Hyorengi.” Sooyoung started to childishly prod Hyoyeon’s side. Her prodding finger was swatted at multiple times, but the latter seemed hell bent on ignoring her friend and continued to look around.

 

“Hyoweng-unnie.” Yoona followed, scooting closer to Hyoyeon’s other side and latched on like a koala to a eucalyptus tree. The girl had on a perfect puppy dog pout, wide glossy eyes and bottom lip jutted out, slightly trembling. Hyoyeon avoided looking at the younger girl’s face and gritted her teeth.

 

She huffed. “Why do I get stuck with you lot while Yuri gets the guys?”

 

The comment had caught Jessica’s ears. Instantly her head shot up, eyes scanning the crowd until she spotted Yuri by the food stand, a stiff smile on her face. A lanky boy stood beside her, trying to engage her in speech, his hands animatedly waving around. Jessica had seen the lanky form way too much for the span of the week. Getting pulled this way and that to avoid even the slightest of interaction had constantly grated at her nerves, leaving a bad impression on the guy even though they’ve never been formally introduced.

 

“.”

 

“Jessie? You alright?”

 

Jessica stood from her seat, absently waving Tiffany’s concern as she dusted off her bottom. Either Sooyoung or Yoona may have mentioned something about food but the comment had gone in one ear out the other. Her whole attention was directed at one point, her irritation building up as she neared the two figures.

 

Taking a deep breath she put on a practiced smile. “Yuri-yah!”

 

Yuri’s head snapped towards her, her tense body loosening up when Jessica wrapped her arms around Yuri’s free one. “Sica-yah.”

 

“Yuri-yah, I’m hungry.” She whined in the cutest voice she could muster. She gave herself a pat on the back at Yuri’s slightly taken aback look before the latter caught herself and grinned.

 

“Ah, sorry. I was..” she glanced over to Taecyeon. Jessica gave herself another pat on the back at the awkward way Taecyeon was leaning against the table, nervously shifting his weight from one foot to the other, looking at everything and anything but at them.

 

“Oh. Hello, I don’t think we’ve met. Are you Yuri’s friend?” She stressed the last word, looking straight onto Taecyeon’s nervous face.

 

“Ah..” Taecyeon grinned sheepishly, rubbing the nape of his neck. He cleared his throat, forcing his eyes straight and bowed his head slightly in greeting. “Ok Taecyeon, uh.. Yuri’s old classmate.”

 

“Oh, that’s nice. Jessica, I’m Yuri’s friend. So, Taecyeon-ssi, if you’ll excuse us.” She turned to Yuri, slipping her fingers through Yuri’s she gave a slight tug. “Sooyoung and Yoona have been complaining nonstop since you left. I don’t blame them, you were taking so long.”

 

“Ah, oh sorry. I was catching up with Taecyeon.” She give’s Jessica’s hand a subtle squeeze in thanks then giving the guy a small smile she says “I’ll see you later then.”

 

A panicked look overcomes Taecyeon’s face and before either of the girls could take a step his hand shot out, fingers curling around a wrist. “No wait!”

 

Jessica’s bottom right eyelid twitched. Snapping the slightly dazed Taecyeon a glare she curled her fingers into a fist and harshly tugged at her restrained arm. Jolting out of his stupor Taecyeon retracts his hands, raising it in front of him in apology.

 

“Sorry Jessica-ssi, but if I can borrow Yuri for just three seconds.”

 

Jessica rests her free hand on her waist; the other still had a firm clasp on Yuri’s hand.  She clicks her tongue and nods her head. “Your clock’s ticking.”

 

“Um.. I meant alone?”

 

“Three.”

 

“Oh, uh..” He shoots Yuri a questioning look. Playing dumb, Yuri merely smiles and raises a brow expectantly. Shooting a quick glance at Jessica he pursues his lips, clearly not liking the situation, then clears his throat. “Well, I um… wanted to ask a little favour..”

 

“Two.” Jessica interrupts.

 

Detracted from his thoughts Taecyeon shot Jessica a wide-eyed stare, his mouth spastically opening and closing, looking like the teacher had called on him to answer an insane question they never covered before. “Uh..”

 

“One. Time’s up. Yuri lets go.” Jessica said, tugging at Yuri’s arm, pulling the taller girl along.

 

“Wa- YuricanyouputinagoodwordtoYoona-ssiforme?”

 

“What?” It was now Yuri and Jessica’s turn to stare at Taecyeon in complete bafflement.

 

“H-huh?”

 

“Yoon- daebak.” Jessica scoffed. She noted the light pink hue colouring Taecyeon’s cheeks and rolled her eyes. She glanced at Yuri’s side profile, the blank stare she had sported and the slight opening of told her all she needed to know. All these times and Yuri had the wrong idea.

 

“But… I- You… Did..” Yuri stammered, her mind still rebooting from the new information.

 

“Taecyeon-ssi, you didn’t happen to give this idiot a love letter at any time since you knew her, did you?” Jessica asked bluntly, jabbing a thumb over to the stupefied Yuri beside her.

 

“Um.. I’m pretty sure I didn’t. No offense Yuri, but.. how do I say this- I.. You’re not my type. Sorry.” The male grinned sheepishly, nervously rubbing the back of his neck as he avoided looking at either girls.

 

Her annoyance level reaching its critical point Jessica subtly moved her hand, pinching the back of Yuri’s arm, making sure her nails would dig into the uncovered flesh. For Yuri’s part she did pretty well to hide her pain, the only evidence that she felt it was the quick of breath which only Jessica heard. Satisfied with the punishment for the moment Jessica finally pulled both her arms back to cross them over her chest.

 

“Jesus, man up and tell her that yourself. Having to use a friend as a conduit is just so lame and-”

 

“I’ll try, but I can’t promise you anything Taecyeon.” Yuri interjected. Grabbing both sides of Jessica’s shoulder she forcibly turned her back to their group. She gave Taecyeon one last smile before throwing an arm around Jessica’s shoulder, dragging her away from the fidgeting male.

 

“What the hell Yuri?” Jessica hissed into her ear. “You’re not actually going to help him, are you?”

 

“I’m not.”

 

“Then why’d you tell him you would?”

 

“Because I know Yoona.” Yuri answered, shrugging her shoulders. “And he’s not her type.”

 

Jessica raised an inquisitive brow. “You know her type?”

 

“I do.”

 

Jessica switched her gaze over to their group, to Yoona who was eating the last bit of her- or Jessica’s half- burger. “She told you her type?”

 

“No.” Yuri smirked, waving her empty hand animatedly at their group. Sooyoung and Yoona’s face fell at the sight, be about Yuri and Jessica coming back empty-handed while the rest laughed at their plight. “She’s like me, you see, and I know what my type is.” She began to explain, shrugging her shoulders when Sooyoung rose from her seat, motioning what seems to be some sort of circular object before pointing at Yuri. Yuri pursed her lips, patting her sides to emphasise that she wasn’t hiding or holding anything. Sooyoung replied by gesturing wildly with her hands, angrily pointing at the food stand more than one time. “I guess you can say we need someone that can keep us grounded, someone who’s our complete opposite. An anchor, if you will. Taecyeon.. he’s not even my type. And Taengoo’s calm rationality can only last so long, and with Soo and Hyo with the mix.. we blew up the cafeteria you know. And Taengoo loved every second of it.” Yuri chuckled, winking at her.

 

“But unlike us Taengoo’s found her anchor. The ol’ Taeyeon wasn’t always that calm, just so you know. Now that I think about it, she wasn’t that quiet either... Hah! She really did find her match!” Yuri laughed.

 

Jessica tilted her head, grabbing Yuri’s hand and slows her steps. That was news to Jessica. True, they weren’t that chummy, especially when left on their own. Their version of friendship was a strange one, Jessica admits. They’ve always needed a sort of bridge, in the form of Tiffany or Yuri, for them to connect. It was more like the way one would interact with a sibling when you share a room with them; faintly aware of the other’s presence and speaking only when needed.

 

Even so, she never thought Taeyeon was interested in anyone in that way. They’ve been friends long enough for Jessica to know how Taeyeon reacts in certain situations, and she may have even seen glimpse of, in Yuri’s words, “the old Taeyeon”. But she has never seen her swoon or stumble on her words or gush about a guy, though the last one sounds far-fetched.

 

“She never said anything, or even shown interest in anyone.” She voiced out.

 

“That’s what you think.” Yuri tugged at their hand, resuming their pace. “You just didn’t think much about it, but she does in her own way.”

 

“Where’s the food?!” Sooyoung grabbed both of Yuri’s shoulders as soon as she got within arms-length. She shook Yuri for good measures, watching out for any hidden snacks falling from her clothes.

 

“Unnie, my hamburger!” Yoona whined, though rather than facing Yuri she changes course and sends her pitiful pout up at Jessica. The latter winced, turning her sights elsewhere, pretending to be looking for something.

 

Yuri laughed. “Sorry, I got side-tracked.” She answers for them.

 

“What’s so hard about getting food?!” Sooyoung groaned, retracting her hands and pushing past the still grinning Yuri. “Forget it. Shoulda known better.”

 

“Honest to God S’youngie, I got side-tracked.” Yuri said, though from the tremor in her voice from holding in her laugh and the bright smile on her face, not to mention her track record of pranking, made it hard to take her words seriously. Sooyoung just sighed and waved Yuri off, heading straight to the food table before all the burgers were taken, Yoona hot on her tail.

 

Jessica took a quick sweep of the vicinity of the food table. Taecyeon was no longer anywhere in sight. She took her seat, tuning out the rest of the group as she turned her attention to the smiling Taeyeon, feeling a slight twinge of guilt. And a whole load of curiosity. She will have to keep a closer eye on the girl. Her eyes flickered to the remaining girls, silently scrutinizing each and every one before finally falling onto Yuri who was laughing while Hyoyeon attempted to lock her in a chokehold.

 

She couldn’t explain it, but there was something earlier that suddenly felt off about the girl. An anchor? What did she mean by that? And the look she wore when she mentioned it, the sudden dip in her tone. She shook her head, drawing a long breath in.

 

A nudge to her side. Taeyeon’s face comes to view, a small frown on her lips. “You alright?”

 

“Yeah.” Jessica her lips, turning her gaze back to the comedic violence ensuing in front of her. “Just the heat getting to me, that’s all.”

 

~~~

A/N: I should be staked for this. I totally forgot to post this up. I've got a good reason, though y'all proably think I'm just making excuses.. Anyway, there it is.

If anyone needs me I'll be over there suffering for my poor choices.