Chapter 9 - Let The Games Begin

Placebo

The days came and went fairly quickly. With her mind mostly concerned about the back-to-back quizzes they had to study for and the pile up of assignments that doesn’t seem to have an end, the next thing she knew Friday had rolled around, and with it an aroma that had helped in rousing her from her deathlike slumber.

 

She peeled back her eyelids, taking in a long whiff of the sweet scent that had her dry taste buds tingling. Pancakes?

 

“Tiff?” she called out groggily, pushing herself up on her elbows. Her neck was a little stiff from the awkward sleeping position and she mentally berated herself for sleeping on her stomach. She reached for the phone by her pillow, reading the blurry numbers flashed back to her. 7:54 AM. It was too early.

 

“Tiff?” she repeated, louder.

 

The mattress dipped on her side, a weight pressed onto her back as her roommate sleepily mumbled a greeting to her, placing her head on Jessica’s shoulder. She made a sound, something that resembled a purr, slipping her arms around Jessica’s body to make herself comfortable. Jessica was too sleepy to berate the girl.

 

“What..” Jessica her dry lips, rephrasing the question in her head. “Did you go out to buy pancakes?”

 

Tiffany chuckled, burying her chin further into the crook of Jessica’s neck. Jessica tried to squirm away from the ticklish sensation, stopping only when Tiffany settled her chin on her shoulder instead. “I’m not crazy, Jessie. Not like those two intruders.”

 

“Intruders?”

 

Taking that as their cue the two intruders decided to make their presence known, one more so than the other.

 

“Morning Sica!” a familiar grating voice  shrieked, followed up with another sudden dip on her mattress that shook the whole bed, this time it was too close to her feet. She yelped, freezing every muscle in her body, praying that her fragile bones would be spared from a trip to the hospital. Her prayers were answered when the jumping stopped and another weight was thrown over her back, another pair of arms circling around her. Stiffly she turned her head to the other side where a wide grin greets her.

 

“Wakey-wakey, eggs n’ bakey.” Yuri says in her heavily accented English.

 

Jessica raises a brow at the phrase but Tiffany beats her to the question. “Yuri-yah, do you even know what that means?”

 

“I dunno. Something about eggs and baking.”

 

Tiffany stares incredulously at her for a second before laughing wholeheartedly. Jessica scoffs, refraining from smirking. Ironically she got that right.

 

“Don’t you guys know how to knock?” Jessica asks, wriggling her way out of the small dog pile on her bed. When she finally slips under Tiffany and Yuri’s arms her nose follow the scent of pancakes and spots Taeyeon. Taeyeon sitting Indian style on the floor with a spatula in one hand, a portable butane stove in front of her with a mouth-watering pancake lightly sizzling on a small frying pan.

 

She blinks. This was not right.

 

“We did knock.” Taeyeon answers. Jessica’s eyes are still glued onto the pancake slowly cooking on the stove.

 

When she finds her voice she asks the first thought that popped in her mind. “What are you doing?”

 

“Waking you girls up.” Yuri answers, sliding away from Tiffany’s limp hug and propping her back against the wall.

 

“I wasn’t asking you.” Jessica says and jabs a finger at Taeyeon’s direction.

 

“Taeyeon? She cooking pancakes silly.”

 

Jessica sighs, closing her eyes and massaging the bridge of her nose to get her mind in order. “Let me rephrase that, is this allowed in the dorms? And why isn’t the smoke detector going off like crazy?”

 

Yuri casually shrugs her shoulder.

 

“The smoke detector is a lie, Jessie. It’s mostly there for show.” Tiffany responds from her comfortable position, her back against the headboard.

 

“… Did you know that before-hand?” Tiffany smiles and redirects her gaze on Taeyeon, the latter blushes a light shade of pink and throw her concentration on cooking pancakes. “We had a little incident last year. The ones outside works though so no need to worry.”

 

“Well that’s comforting.” Jessica warily eyes the stove, shaking her head a second later.

 

“Come on girls. It’s Friday! Game day! Aren’t you girls psyched?”

 

“Better question. Aren’t you too psyched?” Jessica shot back.

 

“But Sica! It’s game day! Classes are cancelled to make time for the morning parade that’s going around town.”

 

Jessica’s face slowly hardens into a scowl. “Then why am I awake at this time?” she hisses, settling her glare at Yuri.

 

Before her imagination can run wild at all the possible ways to torture the girl a loud clap catches her attention. She redirects her gaze over to Tiffany who looked like she had a lot to say. “I forgot to tell you. It’s school tradition that everyone attends the morning assembly at 9. The principal’s going to give a speech, then the coach and then the parade starts. Then the cheerleaders do their thing then the band. After that we have a barbeque at the grounds for lunch and the rest of the day is free until the start of the match later in the evening.”

 

“All that for a game?”

 

“The principal is a huge basketball fan. It’s been the school’s tradition to do this for the first game since this is pretty much the only sport that our school has a proper varsity. We actually have this twice a year, the second happening if our team wins the championship title. Our varsity is actually pretty good.” Taeyeon explains.

 

“Pretty good looking too.” Tiffany adds. Yuri chortles while Jessica and Taeyeon, subtly, huffs in exasperation.

 

“Can’t I skip? I’d rather do my laundry.”

 

“You do your laundry?”

 

“No Yuri, my laundry does itself.”

 

“I’ve never seen you do laundry before. How come I’ve never seen you do laundry?”

 

“Jessie only does her laundry when she thinks no one is looking.”

 

“Tiffany.” Jessica says warningly.

 

Tiffany ignores the tone and continues. “She does the ironing and folding too.”

 

“Woah… I’m seeing you in a new light, Sica.” Yuri praises with Taeyeon clapping her hands in the background.

 

Tiffany gets kicked off the bed while Yuri gets a face full of pillow. Taeyeon fortunately is spared, mostly because of the butane stove in front of her. She offers Jessica a peace offering in the form of pancakes anyway, making sure she keeps close to the portable stove just in case.

 

 

 

 

They finish breakfast with little incident. Tiffany and Yuri fought for the last pancake, there was a little pushing and shoving but as soon as Yuri spies and opening she makes a dive for it. Just as her fork reaches the golden brown circle of goodness it disappears from the plate, reappearing in Taeyeon’s plate and out of everyone’s reach. Tiffany throws her secret weapon, her kicked-puppy stare, and Taeyeon, in another showcase of how Tiffany has her wrapped around her little finger, gives up half of the pancake. Yuri attempts to do the same to Jessica who was seated beside her, but is completely ignored. She settles for the glass of milk instead.

 

Once everything is cleared up, stove, spatula and frying pan hidden in a huge bag that they left hidden under Tiffany’s bed, and Tiffany and Jessica changed into their casual wear, they group head off to the gym. On the way Tiffany restarts prattling about the hot basketball players. Again she is mostly ignored, even Taeyeon who usually gives rapt attention to her best friend is only half listening, completely uninterested with the topic.

 

Yuri, to Jessica’s astonishment, wears a wide grin, wider than she’s ever seen the girl grin before. Instantly she knows something is up. There’s this small voice in her head that warns her not to stay too close to the girl and she quicken her pace, sticking by Tiffany’s side.

 

It was creepy. The girl that had, for the past few days, stuck to her side like a lost little puppy, shying away whenever a certain jock was near, barely even smiling to those she knew, was now strutting through the campus like it was a huge catwalk and she was the perfect runway model. Sure, they had foiled every chance Taecyeon had of getting Yuri alone, but this was D-day. If all those sappy teen novels are anywhere near reality today would be the day the guy would confess, something like “If I shoot the last goal will you please give me an answer as to whether I have a chance with you?” or something like that. Yet here she is, grinning like a ten year old with a bag full of treats. What. The. Hell?

 

“Oh, Jessie.” Jessica hummed distractedly, glancing back at Yuri who was energetically waving her hands to someone she knew, like the lunatic she really is. “I nearly forgot. Keep close to us the whole time, and if something.. unexpected happens, keep calm.”

 

“Hm.. wait. What?!” Jessica stopped, grabbing hold of Tiffany’s elbow to stop her from walking further. “Whoa. Why’d you suddenly say that? You can’t just say stuff like that out of the blue and continue on like nothing happened.” She narrowed her eyes, glancing over to the grinning Yuri who had stopped a foot away. “Why do I feel like this has something to do with that idiotic grin of yours?”

 

“The rival school is coming today.” Taeyeon pipes up, but provides no further detail.

 

“And?” Jessica prompts (im)patiently.

 

Tiffany shakes her head, gently prying Jessica’s grip off her elbow and takes it upon herself to explain. “Whenever our school and the rival school come together destruction always follows. Not only is today the official start of the basketball championship, but it’s also the start of the prank wars. There’s no specific target, anyone that falls into what we’ve dubbed the “pranking zone” is fair game. In other words it doesn’t matter if you’re from this school or the rivalling school, if you somehow walk into a trap you’ll be receiving the full force of the prank.”

 

“There are a few unwritten rules, one of them is that you can’t rat anyone out. You get pranked, you stand back up, dust yourself off and continue on with whatever you were doing, or better yet, get revenge. However, if you get caught pranking by one of the teachers, and unless someone takes pity on you and save your , you’re on your own.”

 

“Throughout the years there has been crowned king or queen of prank. It used to be whoever could prank the most students, but we’ve stopped keeping scores a few years ago. It was too much of a hassle to document each and every prank just to come up with victors. So now it all comes down to who has the best prank. The more grandeur it is the better, as long as you don’t get caught or seriously injure someone.”

 

When Tiffany finishes her explanation Jessica continues to stare at her, waiting for the boisterous laughter at the end of the joke. A prank war. Was she serious? Jessica tried to gauge Tiffany’s face, then Taeyeon’s and lastly Yuri’s, watching for any sign that would give away this bull of a “prank war”. Disregarding Yuri’s way too bright smile, Tiffany and Taeyeon had on very convincing smile and pokerface.

 

“You guys are pulling my chain, aren’t you?”

 

“Sorry, but I kid you not. This prank war is as real as it gets.” Tiffany says, offering a small, almost apologetic smile.

 

“Aw.. Don’t you worry your pretty head Sica.” Yuri intervenes, sliding her arm around Jessica’s shoulder to bring her close. “Stick with us and you’ll be fine.”

 

“Don’t believe her. When Fany said there’s no specific target, there is actually one exception. As you know by now this kkab kid sticks her head into big trouble for the laughs. You’re looking at the current holder of the title. Almost everyone, not only wants to get the title, but also wants to get back at her for all those pranks she’s pulled over the years. If I were you I’d stay away from this dark kid for as long as the prank war’s on going.” Taeyeon says.

 

Tiffany’s tilts her head, pondering in silence for a second before her eyes widen as she claps her hands. “Wait, you’re The Kwon. The top prankster of the student body?”

 

Yuri grins triumphantly, puffing her chest out. “The one and only.”

 

“Who else did you think it was Ppany-ah?” Taeyeon asks. She finches and takes a step back when Tiffany lands a hard slap her shoulder.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me your cousin was the top prankster?”

 

“You didn’t ask.” She receives another slap.

 

Yuri chuckles at her two friends, then pouts immediately after her arm is shrugged off the comfortable position she had over Jessica’s shoulder.

 

“No need to tell me twice.” Jessica says, briskly walking away and leaving her friends behind.

 

“Where are you going?” Tiffany calls out after her.

 

“Staying away from you three. If those two could do what they did this morning, and if Yuri really is who you says she is, then I don’t want to be anywhere near them.” Yuri and Taeyeon exchange glances before reaching up for a high five. Tiffany rolls her eyes at the two dorks and was about to give her affirmation when Jessica’s reply fully clicked in her mind.

 

“Why are you lumping me with these two?”

 

“You’re just as bad as them!”

 

“Yah! Jung Jessica get back here!” Tiffany screams after her, pushing forward to give chase, the two dork right at her heels. Hearing the stomping of feet Jessica instinctively takes off, short, shrill, screeches echoing through the campus.

 

 

 

 

 

A little over half an hour into the morning assembly Jessica was already feeling a little faint. The loud, nearly overcrowded stadium was starting to get stuffy, even all the way at the far end by the fire door. After they finally caught up to her she had been sandwiched in between Tiffany and Yuri, their hold on her arm preventing her from attempting her getaway (She regretted nothing besides letting herself get caught). Normally she liked getting herself in a small space, but being stuck in the crowded gym had started an unusual attack of claustrophobia. Her skin felt sticky, palms clammy, the air felt humid and in between subtly in fresh air from the small crack at the door and keeping her gait straight she could barely understand the speech the principal was making over the constant cheers of the crowd. There was a dull pain on her chest that was starting to get to her nerves but her pride kept her rooted on her spot.

 

“How long is this going to take?” she asks through gritted teeth. Tiffany barely hears her and tilts her head towards her. Jessica in a breath and repeats her question.

 

“Just a while longer. Bear with this Jessie, I know you hate crowds and all but I’m pretty sure the teachers aren’t going to let us out until the whole procession is over.” Tiffany half shouts, jerking her head over to the two teachers standing guard on both side of the door, straight faced.

 

Jessica huffs, leaning half her weight over to Yuri’s side. She wouldn’t mind, and she was strong enough to bare her weight, all those times she (wo)manhandled her were great indicators of her strength.

 

“Yuri-yah, if you’re gonna smile any wider I’m seriously going to call the men in white. You’re starting to creep me out.”

 

Yuri chuckles, waving Tiffany’s comment dismissively. “Oh, don’t mind me Ppany-ah. Yo Taengoo, any chance you could scoot over to the space behind the bleachers?”

 

Taeyeon takes a second to glance over the dark constrictive space then shoot Yuri a frown. “What did you do?”

 

“More action now Taengoo, talk later.”

 

“God damn it, Yul!” Taeyeon grumbles, never the less she slowly starts inching her way to the corner, taking careful measures not to get caught by the teachers on standby not too far from them. Jessica watches on before she feels a light bump behind her. She catches on quick and follows after Tiffany without complaint. At this point she’d do anything just to get away from the crowd. Just as Tiffany’s figure disappears behind the space Jessica turns to Yuri. “If we get caught I’m passing all the blame to you.” She warns. Yuri chuckles and motions for her to move.

 

Her back to the wall, she slips easily through the crack. It takes a few shuffles of her feet before the solid structure in front of her gives way to a hollow opening. Light filters through the random open spaces, the view blocked out by the feet of the students sitting on the bleachers, but it was sufficient enough to give her the lacklustre view of the scaffoldings holding everything up. At least the place was breathable, there was a little stench but it was way better than the suffocating humid air outside.

 

“Now will you explain yourself?” She hears Taeyeon ask.

 

She turns her attention to Yuri, who was holding up her phone with that manic grin back on her face. She holds up a finger, eyes still glued to her phone.

 

“Hold up..” Taeyeon crosses her arms and shakes her head, giving up on trying to talk to her crazy cousin. Jessica sympathised with her, putting up with Yuri’s antics a few hours a day was already tiring, what more at the thought that you’re blood related? The sense of responsibility would’ve driven her crazy.

 

“Aaaand.. Now!”

 

The speakers cranked to life, much to everybody’s surprise. The cheers and the coaches’ voice die down, replaced by a familiar tune that just as quickly starts peals of laughter from the crowd of students. Jessica’s eyes widen and she slaps a hand to , stifling her laughter. Nearby Tiffany has her head down, body vibrating in her silent laughter as she holds her hands close to her body to prevent herself from clapping. Taeyeon lets out a snort before slapping her own hands to , and nose. Still grinning, Yuri makes her way to the brightest corner, synchronizing her dorky dance movements along with the bus song.

 

Then again, with times like these, putting up with her crazy schemes seems like it’s all worth it.

 

“This is it! Let the games begin!”

 

~~~

Merry Christmas everyone!

~scribs out