Chapter 23 - Attention

Placebo

Jessica knew she looked weird right that moment: sitting under the shade of the tree, as far away from the rest of the students as possible, smiling and giggling bashfully at her phone. It couldn’t be helped. She felt whimsical as her eyes scanned the texts she had postponed responding to, all from the same sender.

 

Surprisingly, or maybe not so, the group chat had stayed idle for a while. With Yuri directly sending her messages and her replying to them without fail, she guessed, satisfied the energetic girl’s need for connection. And Jessica truly did enjoy reading and responding to every text. They consisted of the most random topics and full of small talk but, so far, they have never failed in brightening up her day. She wondered why she never did it in the first place.

 

Bringing her knees to her chest Jessica began to wonder whether she should start replying or hold off a little longer when a presence plopped down the space beside her. She glanced to her side, flicking the phone close and stuffing it into her jacket pocket.

 

“Hey Tiff,” she greets casually, beaming a carefully constructed smile at the glare she was receiving.

 

“Jessie,” Was Tiffany’s curt response.  Jessica subtly bit the insides of her cheeks, struggling to quench her laughter at the obvious displeasure oozing from the cheerful girl.

 

“Sooo.. what brings you here?”

 

“Can’t I go anywhere I want.” Tiffany replied snappily, crossing her arms over her chest. Jessica lifted a critical brow, forcing her lips to curve down to a frown. Unfortunately, the side of her lips refuses to budge and she ends up with an unnatural grimace.

 

“No. Was just wondering. Do whatever you like Tiff.” She says, casually turning away to avoid suspicion. Fortunately, Tiffany remains oblivious as she seems to be too busy looking around their surroundings, Jessica assumed, to search for a certain short, chubby cheeked girl.

 

Jessica took Tiffany's distraction to really look at her roommate. Her short hair had grown a lot during the months they were together, just stopping a little past her shoulder. Recently, she had been tying it back in a high ponytail, accentuating her new choppy bangs. With her sulking away her overall appearance made her look a lot more child-like. Cute.

 

Jessica plucked a few strands of her now chestnut brown hair. She had let it grown past mid back with side bangs to complete her look – not liking the look of her long hair flattening right on top of her forehead. It was slightly harder to maintain and they get easily tangled with anything that resembled a hook. But Jessica had liked the slight, natural waviness giving it an extra volume and bounce.

 

Taeyeon had opted to dye her hair a dark black, disliking the lighter portion of her hair clashing with the natural, darker, strands at the crown of her head. She decided to have her hair trimmed up to her shoulder – to cut loose the frizzy ends.

 

With Yuri, Jessica rolled her eyes at the list of reasons to chop her hair.

 

  1. Head was getting heavy
  2. Getting too hot behind the neck.
  3. Taking longer for her hair to dry.
  4. Gets in the way during rigorous activities (never mind that she can’t do much physical activities)

 

She only had about an inch trimmed off.

 

When Tiffany’s search came up empty her sights return to her roommate, meeting the piercing stare directed at her. She doesn’t react, knowing well enough to brush it off as one of Jessica’s daydreaming look. “Where’s Taeyeon?”

 

Jessica blinked, her eyes briefly darting to the rooftop where she had last seen Taeyeon heading off to. Keeping her gaze trained upwards she lifted her shoulders in a half-hearted shrug. “Haven’t seen her since the end of History.”

 

Tiffany lets lose another huff, but her glare lightens to a worried frown. Her arms uncross from her chest and she lays her hands flat on the grass and absently begins plucking out a few blades. “Do you know where she’s going?”

 

“Sorry, no.” Jessica lies smoothly. She surreptitiously took a side glance at her roommate, taking in the worried look and smirks. “But we’ll be meeting up later.” Her smirk transitions to a toothless, innocent smile when Tiffany’s head snaps to her, eyes once again hardening.

 

“Got a history project that we need to finish before next week.” Jessica sighs for added effect. She was planning out the bull she was going to have Tiffany believe. If Taeyeon was going to be stubborn, then Jessica had no choice but to manipulate the target. It was for their own good. “Mrs. Goo is such a pain in the . Good thing I managed to snatch Taengoo before the rest of the class. God, I can’t even begin to imagine the awkwardness if I was forcefully paired with another classmate. Tanegoo was just too cute, trying to make herself look so small when the guy beside her tried to pair up with her.”

 

Jessica’s cheeks were beginning to flush from holding in her laughter at the deadly aura emanating from her roommate. She cleared . “I think I’ll sleep over at Taeng’s place, so we won’t bother y-”

 

“Do it in our room. I don’t mind.” Tiffany interrupted, a little too hastily. She seems to realise this as she calmly leans back, trying to salvage her image. “I mean, we’ve been using our room whenever we sleep over.  And anyway Taeyeon’s roommate might not appreciate having their room turned into a library, plus Taeyeon’s already have a few of her stuff in my closet. She’ll be a lot more comfortable in our room. And it’s a hassle to suddenly switch rooms for a one-night thing.”

 

“Aw, that’s so thoughtful of you Tiff. I’ll shoot Taengoo a message about the change of plans later.” Jessica replied calmly. Internally she was laughing at the possessiveness. She had clearly heard the points of emphasis and had wished she had recorded their conversation.

 

It was blaringly obvious Tiffany disliked the idea of Taeyeon’s attention being hogged by someone else, even by their “best friends”. Jessica has only ever seen her possessive side rear its ugly head whenever it came to two things: anything pink and Taeyeon, and she’d bet the remainder of her not so secret stash of treats that Tiffany was not so oblivious to this fact. All that’s really needed was a bit more push on either side to the right direction.

 

“Say, Tiff. Do you want to join us for dinner?”

 

“You two had plans for dinner? Without me?” Tiffany asked slowly, a look of complete disbelief flashing across her pretty face.

 

“Well, that’s why I’m asking you right now. We’d probably be talking about the project the whole time, but if you’re alright with that..” Tiffany’s eyes widened, brows shooting up and disappearing underneath her bangs as she vigorously nodded her head.

 

Just as Jessica was about to lose her composure, her phone vibrated. She mentally thanked whoever texted her and pretended to be busy looking for her phone, hiding her face from the ecstatic roommate.

 

[Taeyeon: Yuri’s asking for you. Do you want me to do anything?]

 

Jessica smiled at the text, feeling her pulse picking up and her insides churning in a good way.

 

[Jessica: Thanks, Taengoo. I’ll take care of it. And by the way, we’re going out later to discuss the project we need to do for History due next week.]

 

[Taeyeon: What project?]

 

[Jessica: Just play along. We’re eating out with Tiff and Yuri later.]

 

[Taeyeon: Oh… have you asked them already?]

 

[Jessica: Tiff says yes.]

 

She switches the conversation to Yuri’s, smiling even brighter at the random messages and emojis she sent her.

 

[Jessica: Hey, sorry for not replying. History class has been.. urgh! Anyway, do you want to join dinner later?]

 

 

 

[Taeyeon: Is Tiffany with you right now? Why are we using history class again? Do you have something against history?]

 

[Jessica: Yes, we’re hanging out. And yes, I hate it, but it’s the only class we have together.]

 

 

 

[Yuri: Treat me to dinner tonight and I’ll forgive you. :)]

 

[Jessica: Oh, I’ll retract my invitation then. See you around Yul.]

 

[Yuri: I’m kidding Sica-yah. I’d love to go to dinner with you.]

 

[Jessica: Hm..]

 

[Yuri: Don’t be like that Sica-yah~ I won’t stop bothering you until you say yes.]

 

[Jessica: Okay, okay. You’re re-invited to dinner.]

 

[Yuri: I can’t wait! :D]

 

[Jessica: You’re going to have to. Dinner isn’t another 3 hrs from now.]

 

[Yuri: Awww… :<]

 

[Jessica: Now, be a good girl and wait patiently.]

 

[Yuri: But it’s boring. I don’t have anything to do until next period. T.T]

 

Jessica chuckled. Wasn’t Taeyeon with Yuri?

 

[Jessica: Well.. think of something.]

 

[Yuri: Isn’t it your break right now?]

 

[Jessica: Just for the next 5 mins. I’m heading to class in a bit.]

 

[Yuri: I’ll walk you!]

 

[Jessica: No need. By the time you make it here I’ll be in class.]

 

[Yuri: You underestimate me. Where you at?]

 

[Jessica: Forget it Yul. Tiff and I’ll get to class just fine.]

 

[Yuri: Challenge accepted. Now where you at woman?]

 

[Jessica: You do remember your leg? It isn’t fully healed yet. Stay where you are.]

 

[Yuri: You do care for me! Kkk]

 

“You’re doing it again.” Tiffany’s voice grabs Jessica’s attention. She her head to the side and squints her eyes. Tiffany grins at the cute display. “Smiling at your phone like an idiot.”

 

Jessica rolls her eyes at the smug smirk and flips her phone shut, moving to pushes herself up.

 

“Come on Tiff, before we’re late to class.”

 

“Who were you texting?” Jessica chose to ignore Tiffany’s teasing question and walked ahead of the bubbly girl.

 

“Jessie~” Tiffany sing-sang, easily catching up to her roommate. She slung her arm over Jessica’s shoulder, pulling her until they were cheek to cheek. “talk to me, babe.”

 

Jessica cringes and jerks away from Tiffany’s hold. “Please don’t call me that ever again.” She grumbles, rubbing her arm furiously to smoothen out the goose bumps. “Look, my whole body is rejecting your cutesy act.”

 

“Yah!” Tiffany shoved Jessica’s shoulder, sending the girl staggering slightly to the side. Regaining her balance Jessica shoots her roommate one of her darkest glare, choosing to overlook the cute display of a pouting Tiffany—complete with trembling bottom lip and puppy dog eyes.

 

“Whatever Tiff. I’m going to class.”

 

“Fine. But where are we meeting for dinner?”

 

Jessica shook her head, lazily waving her hand as she continued walking away from the loud girl. “Figure it out.”

 

“Yah! Jung Sooyeon!”

 

 

 

 

 

After receiving the dinner invitation from Jessica Yuri had felt high for the rest of the afternoon, leaving her with a shot concentration. Her eyes would constantly trail towards the nearest clock, counting down the hours until they could meet up and hang. No amount of discrete nudging from her seatmates or grumbles from frustrated teachers could tear her away from her day dreaming.

 

She was excited with the thought of seeing Jessica, with her doll-like porcelain features, chestnut brown, silky hair cascading down her shoulders, flawlessly curving along like a smooth stream, again. She tried to imagine what she would be wearing: a simple flowing one piece that would emphasise her fair skin tone and feminine curves. Maybe she would stick with her casual look, a simple tee with a pair of slim fit jeans. Whatever she was going to wear Yuri was sure it would look great on her.

 

She checked her own clothes, a thin red and black patterned flannel shirt over a thin white tee and a pair of straight cut jeans. Not the most flattering of outfits, but the long sleeves hid her scratches well without aggravating her delicate skin and the pants were one of the easiest to slip on.

 

Should she change? She wasn’t a girly girl, but Yuri remembered wedging a nice cotton one piece down the farthest reaches of the closet. It was a Christmas gift from her closest- incredibly nosy- aunt from two years ago. She was sure it would still fit, though she can’t determine how long it had been since she last washed it and if it smelt anything like the stale wood scent from her closet. A few sprits of cologne should fix the problem if it comes to that.

 

But then again, her scratches was less than flattering and to flaunt it off for everyone to see..

 

A flick to her ear snapped her out of her day dream. Her face scrunched up, ready to protest when she came face to face with her teacher.

 

“Miss Kwon, deep in thought I see. I’m sure with how you’re staring holes through the blackboard you wouldn’t mind enlightening the rest of your classmates of King Sejong’s achievements to be post humorously be given the title Sejong the Great?” Mr. Park humorously quirked a brow at his spaced out student, gently tapping her shoulder with his book.

 

Yuri, still in a state of daze, looked between the blackboard, the unintelligible chicken scratch scribbled all over her notes, the obviously wrong page on her book, then back to Mr. Park’s teasing face.

 

“Uh..” a low mumble fell from her lips as she scrambled to flick through her book, pretending to try and read through the squiggly lines. The sweet chiming of the school bell halted her movements. She looked up, restraining from heaving a sigh of relief and looked up to her teacher.

 

Mr. Park lets out a small chuckle, moving from his spot at Yuri’s table side to return to the front of the class. “Saved by the bell. Literally.” The class let out a few strained chuckles; none found it more humorous than Yuri. “Well tackle the rest of chapter 20 in the next meeting. I expect everyone to be fully conscious by then. History may not sound like an interesting subject, but it is what shaped our country and our culture. And let’s face it, you can’t graduate with a failing grade in history.”

 

Another round of chuckles. “I will see you in the next few days. Class dismissed.”

 

Yuri couldn’t control the ear splitting grin off her face. Gathering her things in one quick swipe she stuffed them all haphazardly in her bag and was on her way out the door. Hobbling to her locker she excitedly began pulling one book after another, replacing them back into their proper place. A few seconds later she decided to stuff her entire bag into the locker, promising to take care of it the next day.

 

She was feeling too giddy. She was going to have dinner with Jessica in a matter of minutes. After that weird lack of communication between them at lunch counting down the rest of the three hours until the official end of school was torturous. And now, in just a few minutes, she could see her again.

 

“Yul” she heard a familiar voice call, followed by a friendly slap to the back of her neck. She grimaced, in a breath from the burning sting. “that’s no way to treat your books.”

 

Yuri raised a brow. “And when did you start caring about books Taengoo? Last time I saw you with a book you flung it across the room.”

 

“I saw a roach.” Taeyeon stiffened, her face contorting into disgust at the memory. “Anyway I got fined for it. It wasn’t even because of the roach splatter on the front page.” Her expression change into a scowl as she glared at the books in Yuri’s locker. Yuri looked between Taeyeon and her books, and began closing her locker shut.

 

“I’ll remember not to lend you my books then.”

 

“Oh, haha. I’m not here to be made fun off. Let’s go.”

 

“Go? Go where?”

 

Taeyeon shrugged. “Dinner. Come on, slowpoke, we still need to catch the bus to get to town.”

 

Yuri stood by her locker, staring at Taeyeon’s back as she lazily walked away from her. She wracked her brains, trying to remember if she had made other plans for the day. Her memory was not exactly the best, but once she had something planned she wouldn’t forget. Especially, not with family.

 

“I’ve already got plans for dinner.” She called out after Taeyeon. The elder stopped, turning her body just enough to look at Yuri in confusion. Yuri took the opportunity to hobble to her cousin’s side, not an easy task with the crutches and watching out for random feet around the semi-busy corridor.

 

“Really? I thought you were joining us.”

 

“Us?”

 

“Un. Dinner with Ppany, Sica and me.”

 

Yuri blinked, her shoulders deflating a little. “Oh. Our group.”

 

Taeyeon tilted her head, eyeing her cousin curiously. “Yeah. I mean, I thought you agreed with Sica this afternoon.”

 

“No. Yeah. Yeah. I did, didn’t I?”

 

“We’re not.. taking you away from something important, are we? We would totally understand if you can’t come.”

 

“No. No. I’m going. I just thought… nevermind. I must’ve mixed up the dates.” Yuri grinned, hoping Taeyeon wouldn’t question her any further. She didn’t know what to say. She couldn’t say she had expected the dinner was just between Jessica and her. That she was psyched at the thought that she’d have Jessica’s attention all to herself.

 

Was that selfish of her? To want another person’s attention all to herself, even over the rest of their friends. Over her own family?

 

“You alright?” Taeyeon asked, holding onto one of Yuri’s wrist gently.

 

Yuri grinned at her, her back straightening. “Of course. Why wouldn’t I be? Come on. The bus isn’t going to wait for us.”

~~~

A/N: Here it is. Long overdue. I don't know what it is with history, but it keeps popping into my head the moment I try to think of a subject. It wasn't one of the most... practical subject to learn in school (honestly, what does anyone expect of my knowledge of the dead? I have no plans of running an entire country.), but it was one of those classes that I got an easy A out off. Just don't ask me anything about it now cause I've already forgotten most of what I've learned.

Anyway, another brief insight to Yuri's thoughts. It sure doesn't sound like her thoughts are of simple platonic friendship. And Jessica is starting to get a little manipulative, but her heart is in the right place. I mean, how obvious can Taeny get before everyone else around them gets tired of their denial?

Hm... should I drag this a little longer? How badly do you guys want them to be together? >.>

On a side note, still sick... I need a longer break.