Chapter 16 - Family Home

Placebo

“Yuri! Look at you!” Jessica looked up from untying her shoe laces to see a kind looking woman standing at the end of the short hallway. Her eyes twinkled in delight as she wiped her hands on the floral apron she was wearing before reaching out with her arms wide open. From beside her Yuri was quick to kick off her shoes, unmindful of the laces, and entered the foyer. She met the woman halfway and engulfed her in a tight hug, giggling as they swayed from side to side.

 

The woman was the first to break the warm moment, pulling away an arm’s length to properly give the girl a top to bottom inspection. “Oh, look at you.” This time the sentence had an undelaying disapproving tone as she forcefully made the girl turn from one side to the other, then did a 360 degree check. “You’ve gotten thinner! Oh, I knew I shouldn’t have agreed to you going all the way out to the big city!”

 

“Umma! I’m fine.” Yuri groaned, stressing out the last syllable. She resisted rolling her eyes at the exaggerated display of disapproval knowing fully well the precautions to the insubordination. It would be just a slap to the , but Yuri didn’t want to give her visitor an embarrassing show on the first day (as if her mother’s scrutiny wasn’t embarrassing enough). Instead, she took a step forward and pulled her mother for another, gentler hug. The second one lasted a few seconds longer as the taller girl savored the feeling of being in her mother’s embrace.

 

She pulled away, discretely rolling her eyes upwards to stop the tears from falling and turned to give her mother a clear view of who waited at the entrance. “Mom, I bought someone with me.” She said, gesturing to Jessica standing awkwardly beside the shoe rack.

 

Jessica had watched the mother-daughter interaction for a brief moment, tearing her eyes away as soon as the pang of home-sickness began eating away at her heart. The scene had reminded her of her mother and father, both of whom she hadn’t seen in a good while. She was still calling them from time to time, but what had been first a daily routine had cut down through the months, from calling every other day to twice a week. Right at that moment, the realization of how much she wanted to see her parents had grown stronger than ever. Her hand went to the lining of her empty pocket. She hadn’t even memorized either of her parent’s phone numbers. Maybe she could steal Yuri’s phone and call either Tiffany or Taeyeon and ask them to forward her parents mobile number.

 

“Umma, this is Jessica.” The light tap on her arm brought her back to the present. Her eyes swung from the shoe rack she had been blankly staring at to Yuri’s face, then finally to Yuri’s mom. She blinked, her brain rebooting, before bowing her head down in greeting (and partially to hide the embarrassed blush on her cheeks). “She has the same classes as Taengoo. Well… one really… anyway, Sica, meet Umma.”

 

“My, my, good manners this one. Dear, you can straighten up now.”  Yuri’s mom softly said, crossing the space in between to gently tap Jessica’s shoulder. Once Jessica had raised her head up the older woman began her second scrutiny of the day, a quicker one with Jessica, before making clucking noises with her tongue.

 

“I don’t know how that school of yours feed you two, but this is ridiculous! Are they serving nothing but gruel there?”

 

“Umma..” Yuri sighed, turning the woman around by her shoulders. “Relax. The school is treating us just fine. They’re not starving us. We’re not being starved, right Sica?” Yuri shot the question back to Jessica but didn’t wait for an answer as she began pushing her mother back to where she had come from.

 

“You say that, but you’ve grown thinner since the last I saw you. And don’t you argue with me, a mother notices even the minutest difference. You’ve lost weight!”

 

“I won’t.” Yuri said mid chuckle. She sent Jessica a look that said “mothers” before shaking her head and pushed her mother through the open doorway. “Oh, and oppa says he’ll be back in a bit. He forgot to buy.. whatever you asked him to buy.”

 

At the mention of the guy Jessica resisted a grimace. They were introduced at the station, after Yuri had come down from one of her hyper modes upon seeing a familiar face. Turns out Yuri had indeed had a thorough plan the night she had tried to sneak away. As they were loading into the car Yuri explained that she had already called in advance, and that roughly two people knew she was arriving on that day. When she asked if Taeyeon knew, Yuri only gave her a smile and said nothing more.

 

Throughout the ride from the station she had felt a lot like the unfortunate third wheel. Won Joo, or as Yuri fondly called him ‘Oppa’ had talked a mile a minute, describing the things that had changed in the neighborhood, the mischief the younger neighborhood kids had gotten into, even going as far as what the current news was about the school rivalry between the two high schools of their town. Yuri had actively partaken in the conversation, mentioning the school, dorm life and a few of the mischief she had gotten into. She would throw a question at Jessica from time to time, but most of the conversation happened between the two childhood friends.

 

“He’ll be back. He’s not a baby. In the meantime, I’ll take Jessica to my room.” Jessica blinked at the mention of her name. Yuri was still by the doorway her mom had gone through. She shook her head, nudging her shoes and Yuri’s with her foot to the side.

 

“You do that, honey. Make sure she’s comfortable. And you two take a shower. It had been a long trip.”

 

“Yes, Umma.” Yuri playfully saluted at her mother before walking back to her silent friend.

 

Jessica was just pushing one of Yuri’s shoes to the open space under the rack when she saw her through her peripherals. She tried to grab hold of the straps of her bag, but Yuri was quicker. She had already slung the straps over one arm, reaching down to grab her own.

 

“I can do that.” Jessica said, taking a small step towards Yuri, hand out to make a grab at her bag. Yuri easily deflects the hand, taking a large step back. She grinned, swinging her gym bag over her shoulder.

 

“Give me back my bag.” Jessica said, holding a hand out. Yuri shook her head.

 

“It’s not that heavy, and I’ve been lugging it around since we left the taxi last night. Not gonna change much now that we’re here.”

 

“But we’re in your house!” Jessica hissed. She glanced behind Yuri to make sure Yuri’s mom was nowhere near before continuing in roughly the same volume. “I don’t want to give a bad impression! And why didn’t you tell me you planned on coming back to your house!”

 

“No. I distinctively remember saying that we were heading back to Umma’s place.”

 

Jessica scrunched her brows. “When?”

 

“Back with driver-ajjushi. The taxi ride last night, remember?”

 

“I thought you were lying! Your mom’s not even sick.”

 

“I may have told a little white lie. Besides, where else would I stay in my hometown?”

 

“I didn’t think your parents knew you were coming home. I thought you were hiding from them.”

 

“What made you think that?”

 

“Oh, I don’t know… sneaking out of the dorm in the middle of the night. Lying to that driver-ajjushi that your mom was ill. Not telling me where we were going, basically kidnapping me to keep me silent.”

 

“I didn’t kidnap you. Admit it, you wanted to come with me. You were curious as to where I was going.”

 

Jessica opened to retaliate, but ended up letting lose a tired exhale. Well, what Yuri said was true. She was curious. Key term was. Now she wasn’t so sure as emotions like annoyance at being duped, embarrassment from being caught off guard, exhaustion from the long trip, and the bitter feeling of home-sickness fought to gain the upper hand.

 

“My room’s this way, second floor.” Yuri said, jerking her head to the opposite doorway. “Bathroom is close to my room too. I say we freshen up first before doing other things. Umma’s cooking lunch, so expect a good meal. She’s going to fatten you up like a happy pig, trust me. She always does that whenever I come home.”

 

Jessica raised a brow. “Should I be scared?”

 

“Nah. Oh, but be sure to eat everything on your plate. She doesn’t like seeing leftovers.” Yuri warned, throwing a wicked smirk over her shoulder.

 

“Last one to my room gets to shower last!” The girl suddenly shrieks a second later and makes a run for the next hallway, bags flying right after her fleeing form. Jessica understands the random act a second later when she sees Yuri’s mom at the doorway to the kitchen, a steaming soup ladle in hand. The woman crosses her arms and makes a soft noise. When the brown eyes shifted onto Jessica she decides to follow Yuri’s example and scrambles right after the girl, half bowing, half tumbling as she passed by the older woman.

 

“Teens.” The woman chuckles, watching after Jessica as she scrambles up the stairs and smartly heads to the only open door at the second floor.

 

 

 

The duo comes back down almost an hour later, refreshed from the cool shower. A towel hangs over Yuri’s shoulder, catching the dripping water from her damp hair. She shakes the towel through her hair, flipping her hair back as if she was in a commercial shoot and sends tiny droplets through the air. Jessica avoids the whip like strands, kneeing Yuri’s in retaliation. She gets a glimpse of three slim, red marks at the edge of Yuri’s sleeves, a gift for leaving her clueless downstairs, and grins satisfactorily.

 

Her grin falls soon after as she spots Won Joo’s broad back leaning against the doorway to the kitchen. His head was thrown back as he let out a loud laugh to something Auntie Kwon had told him. Irrational irritation begins clawing at her.

 

Him again.

 

“Had fun running errands, Oppa?” Yuri teased, rolling the wet towel and throwing it at Won Joo’s face as soon as he turned. He caught the towel, chuckling at the childish antics.

 

“Oh yeah, nothing’s quite as fun as running around doing errands.” He smiled. His eyes trailed over to the straight faced Jessica and grinned wider. Yuri picked up the guys intention and crossed her arms defensively.

 

“Don’t your lazy need to go somewhere?” She glared at him, hoping he would get the hint and stop whatever it was that was running through his mind.

 

“Yuri!” Auntie Kwon’s sharp voice carried over to the room. Yuri grimaced before calling back an apology.

 

“Not to me. To your Oppa.”

 

Yuri sighed, but never the less repeated the apology. She rolled her eyes when she caught Jessica’s eyes. “Umma doesn’t like it if I say disrespectful things to anyone older than me. Not even as a joke.”

 

“Don’t worry Jessica-ssi,” Jessica jumped, surprised that the guy had gotten so close without her realizing. “any friend of Yuri’s is a friend of mine. No need to be all formal. I would say you can call me by my given name, but then people might find it too disrespectful. But between the two of us, I wouldn’t mind.” He winked at her. Jessica stared at him for a moment, wondering if she really did see him wink at her or if it was a trick of the eye. She nodded her head and put on a small smile of acknowledgement, refusing to say anything in case she makes things awkward. Soojung did say she had a knack at making the atmosphere awkward. She took a closer step towards Yuri, taking it into her own to create a comfortable distance between herself and the guy.

 

Noticing the uncomfortable fidgeting, and feeling a little glad of the indirect rejection, Yuri slid her arm comfortably over Jessica’s shoulder and pull her closer towards her, effectively widening the gap. “No flirting with Sica, Oppa. Not in front of me. Besides,” It was Yuri’s turn to give her a playful wink. “I’m pretty sure she’s not interested in you.”

 

The smirk on Won Joo’s face fell. He snorted, took a step back and put on a wounded look. “And here I had to plead a co-worker to cover for me so that I can fetch you.. you really think I’d make a pass at your friend? I’m not that low Yul-ah.”

 

Yuri childishly stuck her tongue out, easing the worry Jessica had at indirectly offending the older male. Won Joo’s façade instantly crumbled and he laughed, even tried to grab at Yuri’s tongue. Yuri retracted her tongue, batting the hand away as she chuckled.

 

“I know, Oppa. But seriously, seeing your Oppa flirt, playfully or not, with your friend is just weird and creepy and incredibly awkward. You’re not exactly handsome enough to get away with being a player anyway.”

 

“What? Are your eyes going bad? Can you not see the ladies lining up to give this” he jerked his thumb to himself “a try.” He ended with an eyebrow waggle. The action had set Yuri off into a round of laughter. She had grabbed a throw pillow from the couch and sent it to Won Joo’s face. He easily caught the pillow and made another wounded look. This time Jessica didn’t stop herself from giggling.

 

Won Joo gasped. One hand shot to his chest and he exaggeratedly staggered back. The two girls stopped their giggling, watching the older male curiously. “Oh God! I think I might be dying.. Cause I’ve just seen an angel.”

 

Yuri groaned, picking up another throw pillow she hurled it at Won Joo at twice the force. The pillow bounced harmlessly off his stomach.

 

“Oh- Jessica-ssi, you saw that didn’t you?” The man gripped, clutching at his stomach in over-exaggeration. For a second, Jessica wanted to applaud his acting, red faced with veins slightly bulging out. Yuri only snorted at the man, walking around him, heading to a doorway at the other end of the room.

 

Jessica gave the man a quick glance before following after Yuri’s retreating form.

 

The doorway lead to a well-lit hallway, mostly thanks to the wide two way sliding door that led to the garden and the few windows in between. Decorated along the walls were multiple picture frames hanging not too far apart from each other. It seems like someone was trying their best to squeeze as much snap shots through the hall for whatever reason. Her eyes moved from one picture to the next. In no particular order it had shown her the still life of Yuri as she grew, from toddlerhood to what looked to be a recent picture with her mother. Most of the pictures had another grinning boy, posing right beside the young Yuri, if not trying to cover her face from the camera. Judging from the facial structure and frequency Jessica could tell it was not Won Joo but someone from her family. Someone she hasn’t met yet. A faint memory of an empty classroom and skipping class reminded her of the one-time Yuri mentioned her family, her older brother to be exact.

 

Yuri stopped at a picture of herself and the older guy. They were both posing in front of a very familiar building. She had walked pass that building for the past few months for her to easily identify.

 

“That’s my brother.” Yuri said, pointing out the grinning male beside her. She continued to stare at the picture, as if reliving the time the photo was taken. “I think I mentioned him to you that one time. He was an annoying know-it-all, just because he was older. Stupid Ji Yong would pull these crazy pranks with another buddy, Won Joo oppa’s younger brother, when they were still attending our school. You could say I learned from them. He used to bully me into running errands or act as a distraction until he gradually got me fully participating in his plots so that I could do the same when he graduated and, in his words, keep the tradition alive. Idiots got caught a few times. He was alright on his own, but with Won Bin oppa.. they couldn’t keep it down for too long.”

 

“This was taken two years ago.” She sighed, turning to face Jessica. She saw Won Joo standing near the end of the hall, silently observing the two. She ignored his presence, focusing back on Jessica’s face “I should probably tell you this now.. before you hear it from someone else, and I’m sure you’ll eventually hear it. But I do want you to know.” her voice lowered to a near whisper, throwing a wary glance at the door at the end of the hall.

 

Yuri took a deep breath, her usually emotive face going blank as her eyes glazed over. “He was coming home from a celebratory party. Our team had won against our rivaling team for the first time in three years. It was supposed to be the party of the year and they were psyched about it. I think Won Bin oppa was more excited about the rumors about there being alcohol involved rather than the actual party..  on their way back the car they took..” Her eyes strayed to the photo. “it was dark, and the road was winding. Ironically they crossed paths with a drunk driver. According to the police, they swerved to avoid crashing head on onto the car, but got nicked at the back anyway. They lost control and.. the car.. went off the rails.”

 

“The shock sobered the driver up and he called it in. He got off his car and tried to help, but they were already..” Jessica didn’t let Yuri continue and pulled her in.

 

Yuri curled her arms around Jessica back, trying to get as much contact as she could. Her heart constricted at the memory of a police cruiser rolling up to their front. Remembered the fear that gripped her when the officer asked for her parents, and that look he gave her when she told him that they were out. How that same fear choked her when the officer wouldn’t answer her when she ask if it was about her brother. Her lower lip trembled but she continued to hold in her tears, not wanting to look too broken and wetting Jessica’s change of clothes. After a short moment she pulled away, conscious of the figure watching them silently. She harshly brushed away the few tears, taking a moment to gather herself again.

 

“Why did you tell me that?” Jessica finally asked once Yuri began re-examining the pictures.

 

“Because.. I want you to know…” Yuri did look away from the picture she was blankly staring at, but she squeezed the hand she held. “I’m sorry, I’m troubling you with my family drama.. but I have a favor to ask. It’s seems unfair, but please, don’t say anything about it to Halmoni.”

 

“Halmoni?” Jessica’s brows scrunched in confusion. What did Yuri’s grandmother have to do with her?

 

Without another word Yuri turned, once again pulling her along. Yuri didn’t look at the other photos, her eyes set on the closed door at the end of the hall. Within a few strides they arrived at the front of the door. Yuri reached up for the silver door knob, took a deep breath, and turned.

 

The door clicked and Yuri carefully pushed it in. An earthy scent of pine wafted from the inside and through the stagnant air. Once the door had opened the whole way Yuri took a step inside, her grip on Jessica’s hands loosening until they dropped to her side.

 

Jessica almost reached out for them, a sudden feeling of unease gnawing at her. Despite the warmth of the rest of the house this particular hall had somehow felt a little disturbing. It was like there was something in the way the snap shots that cluttered the walls that gave a feeling of trying too hard to compensate for something. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either.

 

“Halmoni, I’m home.” Yuri’s low voice carried out to the hall. From where she was standing Jessica could barely see Yuri’s back. Her shoulders were slumped down and from Jessica’s view point she looked tired and defeated. Unlike the usual happy gait her strides were slow, like something was weighing her down. Or mayb it was because the things weighing her down had finally caught up to her.

 

“Is that our little Yuri?” A warm, gentle voice took over the silence. “Come closer child.”

 

Without a seconds hesitation Yuri closes the distance, going completely out of Jessica’s view. Curious, Jessica takes small steps to one side of the doorway, craning her head to try and get a look at the two people conversing while keeping out of sight. She nearly screams in surprise when she receives a light tap on her shoulder. Won Joo had silently slid up behind her. He smiled at her warmly and motioned for her to take up the space by the doorway. She hesitates, but eventually pads softly to the doorway, just in time to see Yuri kneeling beside the bedside where an old woman sat up, an open book resting on her lap.

 

“Halmoni, I miss- ah! AH! Ha-halmoni! My ear. My ear.” The somber look on Yuri’s face immediately contorted to a grimace, both her hands flailing around mid-air, like if she could fan her hands hard enough it would let the fingers pulling at her ear lessen their tugging. With her other hand the old woman began spanking the defenseless girl’s bottom, each slap making Yuri whine in protest.

 

“This ungrateful little girl. No letters or phone calls to your grandmother. Children these days are losing their respect for elders.” The old woman berated, giving Yuri’s one last slap before relenting her grip on her ear. Yuri pouted, one hand rubbing her red ear and the other her bottom. She bowed her head and mumbled an apology.

 

The old woman’s face brightens up the next second. Her gaze moving from Yuri’s face to the direction of the door. Jessica lets out a silent gasp and she takes a step back, trying to hide behind the doorframe yet at the same time making sure she could still see what was going on inside. She mentally berates herself a second later; face growing flush at the short snort coming from Won Joo. “Now where is Ji Yong? Have you finally brought your brother back from the city?”

 

“Ah… no, halmoni. I…” Yuri turned halfway, enough for her to see the doorway. An amused smile, though brief, pulls at her lips when she sees a bit of Jessica’s face poking carefully from the doorway. “Actually…” she extends her hands out and motioned for Jessica to come closer.

 

Jessica stares at Yuri from the doorway. Then her eyes widens in realization. Yuri wants her to keep lying to her grandmother. She shot Yuri an uneasy look then switched her sights to Won Joo, silently asking him to intervene. He only smiles at her, giving her shoulder a gentle tap, encouraging her to step in.

 

“I brought a… very close friend over, halmoni.” Another tap on her shoulder had her take a tentative step through the doorway. She kept her eyes on Yuri the whole time, mentally asking her what she was thinking.

 

“Oh.. She’s a pretty thing.” Jessica switched her attention to grandma Kwon. She noted the way the earthy brown eyes lit up when they met hers. So familiar and yet foreign. “What’s your name dearie?”

 

“Hello, halmoni. I’m Je.. Soo Yeon.” Jessica quickly corrected as she took a bow.

 

“A pretty name for a pretty face.” The old woman croons, clapping her hands as her eyes takes in the young visitor. There’s a familiar spark in her eyes when they make a quick glance to Yuri and her face breaks out in a wider smile. “Oh! Have you met our Ji Yong? He’s a very stunning-”

 

“Halmoni!” Yuri interjected, her voice reaching a pitch that Jessica didn’t know she could produce. She shifted to her side so that Jessica was obstructed from her grandmother’s view, her hands signing for Jessica to back up behind her. Her face was scrunched in displeasure that hid the pain very well. “Please, she’s my friend.”

 

“I’m kidding. Come down, Yuri. But, honestly Soo Yeon dear, you should get to know our Ji Yong. He’s not incredibly handsome but-”

 

“Halmoni.” Yuri protested once again, one hand raking though her hair in exasperation. “Please. Not my friend. Ji.. O-oppa could’ve found a girlfriend on his own if he wanted to.” Yuri reasoned out, her voice warbling at use of the past tense. She gritted her teeth, calming her emotions down.

 

“Okay. I’ll stop. But when will that boy finally come around to see me? At this rate I fear I might never even see my dear boy before my fated time.” The old woman complained, painfully oblivious to the sudden drop of mood in the room.

 

Jessica flinched at the tactlessness. It probably wasn’t needed, but she reached out to grasp Yuri’s hand anyway, tugging at it to snap her out of her sudden brooding.

 

“Halmoni, please. Don’t joke about that.” Won Joo finally intervened, stepping out from the doorway. The old woman laughed, waving her hand dismissively.

 

“You children are so uptight.”

 

“Halmoni, you’re a little too.. jolly, don’t you think?” Won Joo sighed.

 

Jessica raised a brow. Jolly was one thing, grandmother Kwon seems more than just simply jolly. Maybe troublemakers were also part of the Kwon genes. Yuri and her brother were, and from grandma Kwon’s earlier teasing, at least Jessica thinks it was just teasing to get her granddaughter riled up, and the familiar glint in her eyes, it wasn’t that hard to imagine.

 

“Soo Yeon, dear, how long had you known my granddaughter?” Grandma Kwon suddenly inquired.

 

“Since the start of this year.” Yuri answered, glad for the change of topic.

 

“Do you know how much of a trouble maker this girl is? So lively. Sometimes I wonder when all that energy will finally run out and this granddaughter of mine would start acting like a girl.”

 

“Halmoni..” Yuri groaned. She sighed and hung her head. There was no way her grandmother could have a conversation without bringing up embarrassing things about herself.

 

“She’s alright.” Jessica spoke up, feeling the need to defend her dear friend. She took the space beside Yuri rather than continuously staying half hidden behind her. It was rude not to look at the elderly when you talk to them, even though she normally lets her eyes roam. She took a quick glance at Yuri’s curious face, running her thumb gently over hers. “She does get a little troublesome, but she has her good points too. She’s a really great friend, is funny and she makes m- us, our friends and me, happy. She’s great! You’re great.” She gives Yuri a genuine smile, squeezing her hand as a way to tell her that she was sincere about what she had just said. Yuri face breaks out in a wide, toothy grin, and Jessica feels glad to be able to bring the goofy smile back to her face.

 

“Ah, our little Yuri. She really is a gift from God. Why, I remember chasing after you when you were a little totter. Those were the good old days.” her hands went to her knees, massaging the sore knobs over the blanket. “So full of energy, and quite the runner too. I used to chase you around the beach and you wouldn’t stop running. Not even when your diapers had slipped down your legs.” Won Joo tilted his head back and laughed. Jessica turned her head to the side, hiding her amused smile from the embarrassed girl.

 

“Halmoni, can you please..” whatever it was Yuri was going to say was cut off when they heard Mrs. Kwon calling Yuri and Won Joo’s names from down the hall. The childhood friends exchanged looks before Won Joo turned and left. Yuri turned to her grandmother, leaning down to press a gentle kiss on the old woman’s forehead and straightening up.

 

“We’ll be back later Halmoni. I’m going to take Si- Soo Yeon around for the afternoon.”

 

“Go. Go. Have fun you two. It was nice to meet you.” Jessica bowed at the smiling woman before she felt Yuri tugging at their linked hands, pulling her back to the doorway and down the hall.