Chapter 15 - Runaway

Placebo

“I can’t believe I’m doing this.” Jessica grumbled as she sank further into the leather seat. She sent a glare at Yuri sitting opposite of her, the girl completely ignoring Jessica as she was staring out of the window. It was nearing 10 in the evening and here they were, sitting on a cab on the way to God knows where. Yuri wouldn’t tell her and would either purse her lips or make a zipping motion over the few times she asked. She huffed, zipping her jacket close as she trained her eyes out her side of the window.

 

They were breaking curfew. And not only did they (Yuri) lie to the driver ahjusshi, they (Yuri) also lied to Tiffany and Taeyeon. It wasn’t even to their face, no they (Yuri) didn’t have the guts to do that. A hurriedly scribbled note was what was left after Yuri had the still processing Jessica change into jeans and pack a few extra clothes without telling her what she was planning. All of that done in a span of 5 minutes before they were sneaking out of the dorm through the back exit, sticking to the shadows to slip out virtually undetected.

 

If that wasn’t enough to prove to Jessica the younger girl was up to no good, hailing a taxi and pretending to look like she was in a hurry to go back to her ailing mother in her hometown was. Before she could rethink her decision she was herded first into the back seat, Yuri slipping in right after her, shutting the door and her chance to turn and head back to the dorm in one smooth motion. She didn’t even have her cellphone with her.

 

“And how exactly are you going to explain to everyone why we aren’t in the dorm, huh? Are you at least going to text Taeyeon where we’re heading?” Jessica harshly whispered, glancing once in a while towards the driver to make sure he didn’t hear and get any more suspicious than he already was. Yuri finally acknowledged Jessica, leaning her back against the door as she sent the back of her head a lazy grin.

 

“Don’t worry about it.” She glanced quickly to the driver before leaning closer to whisper the rest of her sentence. “We’re not doing anything bad. I swear I wasn’t lying when I said I wasn’t up to mischief. We are going out, and I do have a destination in mind.”

 

“And why aren’t you telling me? Why’d you think it was a good idea to drag me around?” Jessica hissed. Her head was starting to throb, and it was way past her usual bed time.

 

“Because, it’s a secret. I promise you it’s not some shady shack with drug addicts or gangs. As for your second question.. well you wouldn’t let me leave if I hadn’t ask you to come with me. I wasn’t even forcing you that much to come with me. But honestly I’m glad you did. It’s lonesome going there all alone.” Yuri confessed softly, smiling appreciatively at Jessica.

 

Jessica rolled her eyes. “It’s in the middle of the night. Of course it’s going to be lonesome.” She said, completely ignoring the confession and stamping down the heat crawling up her neck. She was still a little worked up not knowing anything and her headache was growing worse by the minute. “This better be good Kwon, cause I swear if you’re yanking my chain to get a few good laughs I’ll personally see to it that you rot in hell.”

 

“I swear by Taengoo’s hidden stash of gummies, I’m not.” Yuri let out a short chuckle. “I hope you don’t mind sleeping while sitting upright, cause it’s gonna be a long ride.”

 

Jessica’s eyes widened. “WE- we’re going out of town?!” she nearly screamed at her. She glanced back at the driver, breathing in relief that he was paying no heed (chose to ignore) to the conspiratorially whispering teens. “How? The trains are probably… No…”

 

One hand shot out to grab Yuri by her shirt collar, pulling her close as Jessica leaned in, a dark look falling on her face. “Are you crazy? Wasn’t it hard enough to convince ahjusshi that we weren’t teens sneaking out past curfew for no valid reason? Now we need to convince the ticket person, the driver and the conductor that we’re not runaways? What about the other passengers?” Jessica argued through gritted.

 

Yuri calmly placed her hand over Jessica’s, easing the grip of her fingers around her collar and slotting her own through the spaces and gave a light squeeze. She shuffled closer, taking up the middle seat, Jessica leaning back from shock and the embarrassment of feeling her heart sped up at the other’s touch. “Calm down Sica. I convinced ahjusshi didn’t I? I’ll convince the rest, you don’t have to worry about a thing. I’m an expert at tricking people. I’ll take care of it.”

 

Forcing her lips to curl down Jessica groaned. “You’re so annoying.”

 

“Aw, I know you mean I love you by that.” Yuri cooed, raising the hand in her own to prove her point. Jessica growled lowly, pulling her hand back and turning her attention to the passing scenery out the window in her attempt to ignore the girl’s somehow comforting presence beside her.

 

Yuri chuckled. She attempted to pull back the hand she had lost contact with, and with success as Jessica let her be, re-slotting her fingers through the spaces and resting them in the middle. She gave another squeeze and a grin. Jessica was already too tired to keep up with the other girl and merely rolled her eyes in mild annoyance, unconscious of the slight upturn of one corner of her lips.

 

Letting the fringe covered side of her forehead rest against the window within a couple of minutes in silence Jessica felt her eyes becoming heavier and her vision slowly clouding over that the colours began to blur into one. She didn’t try to fight off the sleepiness, the car’s rhythmic rumbling was making it impossible anyway. Just as she was losing her consciousness she felt a warm hand going to the side of her neck, her eyelids pulling apart long enough to see a burred silhouette of Yuri easing her body to rest against hers. Into the inviting warmth of another body. She snuggled into the warmth, inhaling deeply the light, pleasant scent of her shampoo.

 

“Wake me up when..” her slightly slurred words were cut off by a yawn. She felt Yuri’s head, pressed against her own, move in a single affirmative nod. She didn’t continue her words.

 

 

 

 

 

It wasn’t until a couple of minutes before Yuri shook her awake. Jessica leaned against the leather seat, disoriented from the short nap. She let herself be pulled out, her arms instantly wrapping around the warm body beside her, gripping on the loose, cotton jacket as she blinked away the sleepiness from her eyes. Before her was an unfamiliar place. It did not help that the lights were few and far in between and in her groggy state she felt vulnerable, lost and afraid, so she clung tighter to the only thing that gave her a sense of comfort, shivering involuntarily. She felt Yuri’s arm hooking under her armpits to help steady her, heard the door slamming shut and the crunch of gravel under the tires as the car they’ve just stepped off of rolled away into the night.

 

Side by side they walked at a steady, slow pace. Their destination looking like a beacon in the darkest place to Jessica’s muddled mind. She did not notice the empty play park as they passed it by, too focused on dull white light from the bus station stretching out to the darkness. With every step Jessica’s mind began to slowly wake up. She pulled away from Yuri’s protective arms, her hand slipping to Yuri’s instead as she followed after her like a toddler trailing after their mother.

 

Like she had forethought the ticket attendant watched them suspiciously, eyes scrutinizing their faces as if looking for a minor tick that would give them away. Jessica kept a passive look on her face, opting to stare blankly at the clock hanging behind the attendant as not to give away the nervousness that she felt. Beside her Yuri had put on a small smile as she dug into her wallet, counting the bills. She handed the payment over, not offering an excuse as they weren’t questioned. The attendant, still looking sceptical, tore two ticket stubs and counted the change, briefly hesitating before handing the tickets and coins over to Yuri’s open palm.

 

The same thing happened as they boarded the bus. The conductor took their ticket, giving the both of them a judging look. Yuri merely offered a smile. Jessica stood behind her, hand clutching onto Yuri’s as she hid behind Yuri’s taller frame, taking the chance to hide her own frown while she agitatedly nibbled at her lower lip. Finally, the conductor stepped aside, lips still set into a frown, letting both girls through as he attended to the woman after them.

 

Finding two unoccupied seats Yuri pushed their bags into the overhead cabin while Jessica slipped into the inner seat, once again resting her head against the window. Once done Yuri plopped to the outer seat, giving Jessica a satisfied grin. All of a sudden she leaned closer, to the point that her lips were just a few centimetres away from Jessica’s ears, and when she spoke in a hushed whisper a shiver ran up and down Jessica’s spine as her warm breath tickled Jessica’s ears and the nape of her neck.

 

“I told you I’d take care of it.” Then she leaned back, a self-satisfied grin on her face.

 

Jessica felt the warmth spreading up to her cheeks and even up to her ears. She was glad the lights had dimmed in time as the bus lurched forward, starting its journey. She breathed out, sneakily glancing at the silhouette of her friend as Yuri eased back her chair in preparation for sleep.

 

She her lips, eyes falling to Yuri’s open palm. Gingerly she slipped her hand onto Yuri’s, curling her fingers lightly over them. She felt Yuri squeeze back.

 

A light chuckle came from Yuri, cut short by a yawn. A contagious one.

 

Jessica tucked her chin in her jacket, her hair falling around her face like a curtain to hide her silent yawn. She sniffled, back scooching down the back rest to find a comfortable position to sleep in.

 

“Your back’s gonna curve like that for the rest of your life if you sleep like that.” Yuri said, shifting in her seat to face the groggy Jessica.

 

“Shut up.” Jessica growled out, peering blearily at the chuckling Yuri.

 

“Good night Sica.” Jessica hummed in response, eyelids already falling to a close.

 

 

 

 

 

“Well if it isn’t my favourite black bean.” A smiling porcupine said, opening up his arms awaiting another body to launch at him. He finches and moves away as a shoe is sent flying where his face was a second ago. It makes a loud thumping as it hit the wall behind him, a light brown dust of the sole imprinted on the once clean beige wall. The smile doesn’t leave the guy’s face though as he turns to retrieve the shoe, chucking it to the side of the shoe rack when he returns to the front door.

 

“Now, now, our little monkey. Is that how you greet your oppa?”

 

“As a matter of fact it is.” Yuri grinned, taking aim with the other shoe. “Now hold still porcupine-oppa.”

 

Before she could throw the other pair a hand went to ruffle her hair, simultaneously yanking the shoe off her hand and lightly hitting the top of her head with it. “Seriously, this girl. So violent even in the morning.” The voice said before letting out a long yawn.

 

“Ji Yong!” Yuri whined. Her hands shot up to her hair patting down the strands that was disturbed by her brother’s rough handling. Just as she was satisfied with her hair another hand rested on her head, roughly disturbing her hair once again. She growled, grabbing the hand and yanking down to bite the arm it belonged to.

 

“AH! AH! Y-Yuri! STOP BITING!” Porcupine head yelped, grabbing Yuri by her hair and desperately began yanking at it. Unfortunately for him, the more he yanked the more pressure is applied onto the bite on his arm. His face starting to blanch from the pain he let go of Yuri’s hair, changing course and going for her cheeks instead. “I give. I give! I’m sorry.”

 

Satisfied Yuri let go, snapping her head away that her cheeks easily slipped from the pinch, eyes glinting at the angry indent left by her teeth. “Teach you to mess with me.”

 

Porcupine head rubbed at the mark, watching Yuri warily as he scurried to the unoccupied seat around the dining table. “Jesus, Ji Yong. Are you sure you have a sister instead of a dog?”

 

“Yah!” Yuri slapped at his arm, sending Ji Yong a warning glare, to which the older guy just chuckled at.

 

“Yes. I’m sure. She’s a little wild, but all monkeys are like that.”

 

“I’m going to kill you.” Yuri declared darkly, shooting both her brother and his friend her finest glare. Both male chuckled at the sight, not the least bit disturbed as they began preparing their own plate for breakfast. Yuri rolled her eyes, making her way to the sofa where she was previously enjoying her favourite morning show.

 

“By the way, Yuri. Do you want to come along with Ji Yong and I? There’s a late victory party for the Knight’s going on tonight. I’m sure your boyfriend is going to be there.” Yuri scowled at the smirking guy. Ji Yong, calmly placing down his spoon and chopstick, motioned with his hand for his friend to lean in. Confused his friend did just as asked, only to have a Ji Yong’s hand slap the side of his head.

 

“Are you high, idiot?” he muttered glaring at the whimpering friend. “Say that again and my foot will be the last thing you see.”

 

“Jesus, Ji Yong. I was kidding. You know  I’d never actually push that violent girl on some poor sap.” Porcupine simpered and then sent a smirk Yuri’s way.

 

“Poor sap my !” Ji Yong growled. “No hormonal guy is ever to be within a hundred meter distance with that prude black bean!” He pointed dramatically at his now fuming younger sister. Quick to pick up the cue his best friend reached out to clasp his outstretched hand, nodding his head vigorously.

 

“Our naïve little monkey, I would rather die than have some punk lure and hypnotize this prick of a girl into believing kiddie crushes could last through years.”

 

“Enough!” Yuri screamed at them, her hand griping tightly onto the remote control that her knuckles were turning white. “If you idiots keep yammering stupid stuff…” she motioned to throw the remote “I am not a prude. Bunch of idiots.. I can’t believe I got stuck with you two. Where is umma when you need her?” She rolled her eyes exasperatedly at the muffled chuckles.

 

“Relax Yuri.” Ji Yong said, returning back to his food.

 

“Seriously though, do you want to hang out at the party with us?” Porcupine head asked again. “Ommoni and Abujji won’t be back until tomorrow and Ji Yong for sure is going.” He said, jerking his head to Yuri’s brother who was far too concerned in consuming his breakfast to reply.

 

Yuri lazily waved her hand with the remote in dismissal. “I’ll pass. I don’t like basketball anyway, I wouldn’t understand what everyone would be so hyped up about.”

 

“It’a a party Yuri, not a debate. Who cares if you don’t know any basketball terminology? Just agree with whatever everyone else is saying and have fun.!”

 

“No drinking.” Ji Yong interjected, the sudden sobriety in his voice not doing much to show his seriousness with his cheeks puffed up like a squirrel. “Especially you, Won.” He added, jabbing his spoon at his chuckling best friend. Porcupine head’s mirth faded in exchange for glare and a low growl.

 

“I know. I have a bad alcohol tolerance . No need to shove it to my face.” He grumbled, swatting away the spoon still held in front of his face. Ji Yong lifted the spoon before Won’s hand could touch the shiny surface and plonking it back to the soup bowl. He turned his attention to his younger sister who was pointedly ignoring them, eyes settled on the television screen.  “You can come, Yuri,” He began in an unnaturally soft voice, pausing long enough for Yuri to look curiously back at him “but you’re going to have to go there yourself. Your lame is not sitting with us in the same car.”

 

“Screw you, Ji Yong!” she huffed angrily, returning to the show she was ‘watching’. “Go jump off a cliff! See if I’d care.”

 

 

 

 

 

Ji Yong-oppa…

 

I didn’t mean what I said.

 

 

I do care.

 

 

 

Please come back.

 

 

 

 

 

“Wake up!” Jessica groaned, arms blindly reaching out to clutch at the rough fabric her hands touched, hoping to stop the nauseating rocking.

 

“Stop it.” Her voice croaked out, eyes scrunching tighter to block out everything and try to return back to sleep. She heard a click of a tongue, closely followed by a rougher shaking of her shoulders. She groaned in defeat, eyelids peeling back and brows scrunching to flash the annoyance her signature scowl.

 

“Stop!” she growled, gnashing her teeth at the far-too-wide smile Yuri gave her.

 

“Come on Sica! We’re here!” Yuri said giddily, letting go of Jessica to straighten up to scavenge for their displaced bags from the overhead cabin. Jessica nodded her head absently, hand rising to to stifle a big yawn.

 

“We’re here..” she parroted mid-yawn.

 

Her lips pursed, eyes slowly blinking away the stinging, sight slowly focusing at the grey seat in front of her. Her hand shot out, grasping at the ends of Yuri’s jacket tightly. “Where is… here?”

 

Tentatively she looked around, noting the slightly nauseating mix of scent in the air. Her hand went up to her face, using her cotton jacket to filter the air she was breathing. Her eyes scanned the unknown faces moving about, moving to the window right beside her. Shops outside were opening, welcoming another brand new day, while a thin crowd went about their morning around the street.

 

A thump to her side had Jessica gasping in fright, her hand detaching from its deathlike grip on Yuri’s jacket as she huddled closer to her own body.  Another bag was place on the space her arm was previously occupying, then Yuri lowered her body, head jerking to the window. “Here is the town I grew up in. So I guess this is the best time for me to welcome you to my home. I mean, we’re not anywhere near my house, but you get what I’m saying.”

 

Yuri suddenly reached out, her fingers swiftly combing through Jessica’s long fringe a couple of times before pulling her hand back, a soft smile playing at her lips.

 

There is a light flutter in Jessica’s stomach, a tingling, chaotic kind, but not quite the one that threatens to erupt in an unwanted spillage. Still she shakes her head, passing it off as nausea with Yuri’s less that careful treatment in waking her up. She coughed, clearing her dry throat, pulling her eyes away from the soft browns staring earnestly at her. “Why are you smiling like that?”

 

“Oh, nothing really.” Yuri slipped her bag’s strap over her shoulder, hefting Jessica’s own over her shoulder. The soft smile turned into a grin. “Just that it’s the first time I got to touch your hair is all.”

 

Jessica craned her head up and blinked at Yuri. Her bright eyes held a spark to them and her toothy smile held nothing back to show her happiness right at that moment. Jessica soughed out, rubbing her palms over her face. It was too early to be that bright. “It’s too early to try and understand the silly things you’re saying.” Jessica mumbled through her hands, keeping her face smashed against her palm for a few more seconds, completely missing the faltering smile from the younger’s face.

 

“Anyway..” Yuri grabbed Jessica by her wrist, lightly tugging to get the sleepy girl off her seat. “Get up, before the bus takes off with us still in it.” With another groan Jessica relented. Standing straight the top of her head just barely touching the lowered part of the overhead cabin. She clicked her tongue in annoyance, feeling like the world was taking a jab at her shortness once again.

 

Yuri her head to the side, stuffing her hands in her pocket as soon as she let go. “You alright?”

 

“Just peachy.” Jessica replied, squeezing past Yuri and heading straight for the door. As she slides past the driver seat the driver, unlike the conductor, merely nodded his head and muttered a monotonous greeting, eyes glazed with tiredness.

 

Hopping onto the sidewalk Jessica took a deep breath of the clear air. She glanced around curiously, noting that there were definitely fewer cars around. It seems that the town’s folks preferring walking or biking, at least early in the morning. Even a university town had more cars on the street compared to this place. It was satisfyingly nice change. Her eyes filter through the small buildings, mostly boutiques and random American outlets, a few café now and then on different blocks and a fast food chain. Not bad for a small town.

 

“Like what you see so far?” A voice to her left ear had the small hairs on the back of her neck stand. Suppressing a shudder and the heat crawling up her neck she took a small step to the side, enough to turn her body half way and plant a satisfying slap against Yuri’s arm.

 

“Don’t scare me like that!” She berated half-heartedly, keeping up her pretence of irritation as she watched Yuri’s face contorting to a pout as she rubs the spot she slapped. “And don’t make that face. I didn’t hit you that hard.”

 

“But… I’m fragile..” Yuri began, keeping the kicked puppy look on her face, not that the recipient was going to fall for it. “.. Sica, I’m Yuri.” She ends her pun, failing to keep a sad façade when her lips quirked up into the beginnings of a smile.

 

Jessica rolls her eyes at the pun and gives Yuri a hard shove. “Okay. Okay. I’ll stop. But you’ve got to admit that was.. punny.”

 

“You were hilarious.” Jessic deadpanned, hoping the girl would take the hint. She gives a wary glare at the ear splitting grin taking up residence on the girl’s face and the glint in her eyes.

 

“Aw come on, that was a pun-tastic joke! Ti-pun-ni-ah would’ve laughed.” Yuri giggles at her own lame puns while Jessica groaned in exasperation. A couple of older women laughed between themselves, overhearing the lame puns as they passed by, prompting Jessica to hung her head in second-hand embarrassment. Just as Yuri was jovially greeting the elderly Jessica took the chance to get away. She pretended to be interested in the bus schedule, leaving the embarrassing girl to her own device.

 

“Sica-yah, why’d you leave me there?” Yuri, unable to read (or completely ignoring) the warning glare sent her way, slung her arm over Jessica’s shoulder, pulling her until they were hip to hip.

 

In response Jessica shrugged off the arm, turning her back to Yuri muttering an “I don’t know you.” as she tried to once again create a sizable distance in between them. Unaffected Yuri follows her every step, brandishing a toothy grin and an over enthusiastic hello to anyone that so much as glanced their way. Despite the chuckles and cooing praises the elderly women gives Yuri, Jessica’s face pale in mortification when Yuri finally grabs her my the arm and swings her around, introducing her to the giggling aunties. Jessica shot Yuri a withering glare, mentally face palming herself for tagging along instead of strapping Yuri to her bed as she had originally planned. She set a reminded to do just that the second they arrived back at the dorm.

 

Jessica, fingers itching to pinch and pull at Yuri’s ear for a well-deserved stress relief, stops herself when a voice interrupts Yuri’s antics. “Still embarrassing as ever I see.”

 

Yuri’s head snaps to the direction of the voice. Her already goofy smile, if possible, grows even wider as she practically launches herself at the rather good looking male. “Oppa!”