Chapter 2 - Abstract

Placebo

The first week of school Jessica was constantly late for every one of her classes.

 

On the second week she didn’t fare any better. Even in the few times the teacher came in late due to some mishap or unforeseen event she somehow always ends up coming in just a tad bit later. And this plus her knack of keeping a straight face and uncanny ability to finish a conversation with her blunt answers has dubbed her the ‘princess’ of the sophomore year, sulking away in her icy lair. Not that she purposely did it to call attention on herself. No, not at all.

 

For some strange reason dries up quickly and, in her personal opinion, talking with a dry mouth is not a comfortable thing to do, but it was rude not to finish what one was saying, so she kept her answers short and to the point. Problem solved. Then there was the indifferent thing.. Well not everybody is all happy sunshine every single hour(hey-dilly-ho!). At least she didn’t frown all the time and her glares were strictly saved for the special(annoying) cases. And another thing, Jessica Jung does not sulk, she just prefers the comfortable silence of her room, propped up on her bed with a good book. Lastly, and embarrassingly enough, even after two weeks, she would still somehow end up lost in the corridors. Completely and utterly lost. The campus was too big and there were just too many buildings and halls and it wasn’t like she had her classes in the same place every time. In short, she was directionally challenged.

 

Wednesday

 

1st period- English I (203 Pound hall)

 

2nd period- Algebra I (105 Winston hall)

 

3rd period- History (205 Winchester hall)

 

Et cetera

 

Unfortunately she didn’t have any classes with Tiffany. Though she barely said anything to the girl- she couldn’t even say that they were friends, roommates weren’t necessarily friends, more like acquaintance that happen to share the same room- Tiffany was more than accommodating and if given the chance would be more than happy to help, that she was certain off. Tiffany would talk her heart out back in their room with Jessica half listening, inserting grunts and hums at random.(See, she wasn’t a total icy asshat) Tiffany was even courteous enough to ask her if she wanted to have dinner with her every time, which was always answered with an ‘I’m not hungry.’ or an ‘I’ll try to catch up later.’ Of all the times she had Tiffany with her now was one of those rare times she wished she was there beside her.

 

She glanced down to the paper in her hand, her schedule, and looked around at the numbers on the door. God, why did all the halls have to look the same?

 

203

 

204

 

205

 

She stopped, glancing back at her schedule to verify that 205 was indeed her classroom for that period. 205 Winchester hall – History. Why did she even have to take history?

 

With a tired sigh she steeled herself, ready for the pointed stares that she was bound to receive at the other end of the door. Turning the knob she pushed the door in. “Sorry I’m late.” She said quietly, eyes focusing on the tile in front of her as if it was the most fascinating thing on earth.

 

She couldn’t count how many times she’s said that since the beginning of class. Though oddly enough, today she wasn’t greeted with a ‘If you could find your seat miss Jung.’ or a ‘would you like a map of the corridor miss Jung?’

 

Today was different. Today it wasn’t a mature, sarcastic voice that greeted her.

 

“I wasn’t expecting company, but I guess you can pull up a seat.” The voice sounded younger. Deep in range, but there was no doubt that it was a girl’s voice.

 

Jessica blinked. Lifting her head up she was greeted with rows of easel and an empty classroom. Almost empty. To the back was a girl with long, black hair swept into a neat pony tail, holding one of those paint holder thing with a hole for the thumb that Jessica always forgot the name off and a paint brush in another. Her lips were quirked up in one of those mischievous half smirks.

 

“Ah…” Jessica took a step back out, rechecking the numbers on the door.

 

“This is really 205, but I don't think it’s the 205 you’re looking for.” The girl said.

 

“Is… isn’t this… Winchester?” Jessica mumbled to herself. And she was so sure she was at the right place.

 

The other girl’s attention was now back to her canvass. Her brush dips in one of the blobs of colour paste before it is brought up to the canvass, her hands making quick fluid . “Church hall.” The girl helpfully supplied, “Winchester’s all the way at the other side.” She made one last before leaning back to check her work. “Better run if you want to get there before half time. What class?”

 

“History.”

 

“Mr. Park’s?”

 

She lightly shook her head. “No. Mrs. Goo’s.”

 

“Mmmmh.” The girl pursed her lips. Her hum droned a little longer than necessary.

 

Jessica didn’t like the sound of that. But try as she may, she couldn’t just quite remember what kind of teacher Mrs. Goo was. Not only was she directionally impaired but her memory too. She could not place names with the faces, at least not until maybe the sixth or seventh meeting and not if they haven’t made an impression on her. Tiffany’s was easy to remember since every time she came back to her room she’d come face to face with her name on the whiteboard and they are roommates. The girl was a pink monster, Jessica observed. The one time Taeyeon came into their room wearing a light pink shirt(she swore it was the last piece of shirt she had, the rest were sent to the laundry mat) Tiffany was stuck to her like a Koala (proclaiming “Everything pink, mine!” much to Taeyeon’s embarrassment).

 

“Take a seat.”

 

“No, I think I should go.”

 

“I wouldn’t bother. You’d only get an earful and she’d constantly keep the pressure on you for the entire lecture. Best skip for today.”

 

Jessica narrowed her eyes. Skipping class, tempting offer. “Hm..”

 

“I have another canvass by the teacher’s table.” The girl continued, ignoring Jessica awkward shuffles by the door. “Just made it earlier. You’re free to take it. There’s a couple of acrylic paint in one of the cubicles, take whatever you like.”

 

“Isn’t that stealing?” Jessica asked, brow arched in uncertainty.

 

The girl finally turned her gaze to her, the smirk in place. “Not if you just take a bit from each. They won’t notice.”

 

Jessica stared at the girl head on. Was she kidding? No way was she going to do that. There was this thing called integrity, she would rather face a raging teacher than steal- even if it was just small portions of paint. Just as she was going to turn and leave the girl started to laugh.

 

Not giggle.

 

Not chuckle.

 

She was laughing, like, remember the in the cartoons when the antagonist has this brilliant idea to thwart the good guy’s day- yeah it was that kind of laugh. Evil. And she was rocking on her seat while clutching her stomach.

 

“Stop laughing.” Jessica hissed, her hands clenched at her side in embarrassment while she glared at the laughing girl.

 

“I’m sorry.” The girl gasped, wiping away the tears that formed at the edge of her eyes. She bit her lower lip, raising a hand up palm facing out as she regained her control. “I was kidding.  I swear, they won’t mind. Those were donated by the previous years. It’s free for everyone.”

 

Jessica narrowed her eyes. Should she believe the girl? After all they just met and she already pulled one on her. How would she know for sure that she wasn’t setting her up? Besides she needed to get back to her class.

 

“Good bye.” Jessica said, turning on her heels and closed the door behind her before the girl could say any more. Now, where was Winchester hall again? Maybe she could retrace her steps and find her way back to the main hall. Or was that pound? “Urgh, why is this place so big?”

 

“It’s big because you’re new here and you don’t know where the boundary is yet.” An irritating voice replied. Jessica didn’t need to turn to know that the girl had come out of the room, maybe to further irritate her. Couldn’t she just leave her alone?

 

Before Jessica could verbalize her thoughts the girl had started talking, cutting her off. “Winchester is at the other side,” she started, pointing at the building at the other side “where the high school sector is at. We’re at the middle school sector.” Oh. Okay this was embarrassing.

 

“But really, come on back and take a seat. Mrs. Goo hates late-comers and she’ll keep drilling you for answers even if you don’t know. Besides, what would information from a bunch of dead guys help you with in life?” As much as Jessica didn’t want to admit it the girl had a point. Though can she bare being with the evil girl without wanting to throw things at her?

 

As if reading her thoughts the girl added. “I won’t tease you. We’ll just be painting.”

 

“Well, in that case, I’ll just walk around and familiarize myself with the buildings.” Jessica said fanning the taller girl off, that way she won’t have to constantly remind herself not to hurt the girl.

 

“Aw come on, I promise I’ll be good. It gets lonely in there by myself.” Jessica stared at the girl, did she just pout cutely at her? “Hey, how about this. You stay with me until the bell rings and then in exchange I’ll give you a full tour around the campus. I’ll behave. What do you say?”

 

 

 

 

 

To say that Jessica is an artist is a huge understatement. She had neither the patience nor the will to sit on a stool day in and day out facing a blank canvass. Chances were she’d zone out and completely forget about the canvass or walk out for some fresh air and disappear for the rest of the day. But there she was, sitting in front of a canvass, palette in hand and a brush dangling in another. She had been staring at the canvass for a good five minutes, unmoving. A few feet behind her, to her left, was the dark haired girl busily finishing whatever it was she was painting in silence, like she promised. Jessica wondered exactly how the girl managed to persuade her to step back into the art room, but she did, which was quite a miracle.

 

No. It was because she promised to take her on a tour if she stayed. Yeah, that was all. Though Tiffany could probably do the same if she asked her… but then again Jessica didn’t want to intrude on her. But she wouldn’t mind. Well the girl did offer, and staying there beats sitting in on history class.

 

"You know," the girl started, "the whole point of painting is to project your inner creativity from your mind to your brush and onto the canvass." Then she smirked, dark brown eyes flickering to Jessica's way before returning to her own creation.

 

Jessica glared back at the girl. She knew that. A one year old knew that. She exhaled loudly through her nose.

 

History class with a possible grouch of a teacher? Or stuck with an annoying girl in the art room? Argh!

 

Her head snapped back at the blank canvass, she couldn’t be sure but she thought she heard her neck cracking at the abrupt action. She dipped her paint brush in a random colour, nearly drilling the palette in her irritation before attacking the canvass. Minutes later Jessica huffed, dropping the palette and paint brush on the end table nearby. The once blank canvass was now a splatter of random colours, much like the result of giving a 5 year old child with a tantrum a piece of paper and paint.

 

"Abstract?"

 

"What?" Jessica whirled her head around. It was an easy task, something that needed no advance thinking- a spur of the moment kind of thing so there shouldn't have been a problem with it. Unless, one, someone decided to stand right behind her, two, that someone had leaned in close-too close and three her face had nearly collided with the dark haired girl's face. She recoiled, her chair teetering at the sudden shift of weight. Before she could try and steady her gait she felt a warm hand wrap around her shoulder, instinctually she grabbed onto the arm to steady herself.

 

"Whoa there. You alright?"

 

Jessica slapped a hand onto her chest, feeling her erratic heartbeat through the fabric of her uniform. Normally she would have yelled but it felt like her heart had lodged itself in , so instead she feebly nodded her head, squeezing out an “I’m fine” as she hanged her head down, tentatively pulling her hand back to herself when she realized she hadn’t let go. The girl smirked then readjusted her posture, looking at the colour bombed masterpiece as if nothing happened.

 

Jessica swallowed drily, pushing down the warmth rising up her face. She had just nearly had a lip smack with the unknown girl. If she hadn't pulled back at the last minute... the warm feeling started crawling back up her neck. She shook her head.

 

"Colourful." The girl finally said as she straightened up. "So you’re into modern art?"

 

"Uh..." modern art? Abstract? What the hell? It was just a dumb painting.

 

“It’s nice.”

 

“Thanks?”

 

“You could join the painting club. They go on various art museums and outings to admire art. Or just hide away and paint.”

 

“Are you in the club?”

 

The girl chuckled. “Nope.”

 

Jessica raised a brow “Then why are you inviting me to join the club?”

 

“I’m not. I’m just saying there’s an art club here. Though if you’re interested to join I know someone in the club.”

 

“Why are you advertising a club when you’re not even in it?”

 

A shrug. “Why not?”

 

The school bell chimed. It was one of those that reminded Jessica of a Romeo and Juliet theme. She supressed a gag and rolled her eyes instead.

 

“There goes the bell.” Thanks captain obvious, Jessica scoffed.

 

The girl held out her hand. Jessica looked up to her face and was met with a wide grin. “Well, you held up your part of the deal, now it’s time for me to play my part. I’m Yuri, by the way. Kwon Yuri.”

 

At least she had manners. It was late but.. whatever.

 

“Jessica. Jung.” Jessica said, politely reaching for Yuri’s hand for a quick shake. At least that was what she was aiming for. Just as she was retracting her hand back Yuri’s grip tightened and the girl turned around and headed for the door, Jessica trailing after her in shock.

 

“H-hey!”

 

“Alright! This is Church hall. Don’t ask me why it’s called that, the one who build the school up must be into American history or something. Anyway this is part of the middle school fraction. Let’s get a move on before this place gets crowded.”

 

Yuri moved on. Jessica thought of pulling her hand back but then thought otherwise once the hallway started filling up with students pulling and shoving to get to their next destination. She hurried her steps, tightening her grip around the hand guiding her.

 

Just until the crowd thins out.

 

For the twenty-five minutes of brisk walking- it was more like playing dodge ball without the ball if you asked Jessica- the crowd didn’t quite thin out. She wasn’t sure when they had crossed the border between the two fractions but Jessica would spot a familiar face now and again through the mass of heads and dodging limbs. Yuri would occasionally wave or nod her head, say a quick hello, but she mostly prattled about which hall held which lecture, like a true guide.

 

By the end of the not-so-short tour Jessica was panting. They had passed through 7 different halls, at least walked up and down 5 floors, went pass the indoor gym, the indoor swimming pool, the baseball field, the cafeteria(Jessica thought it was another gym),  walked through the open field they called Deer’s park(again she didn’t understand the naming but kept it to herself) and finally stopped at the steps of the library where Yuri finally declared the end of their tour, much to Jessica's relief.

 

“Thank you for choosing the Amazing Kwon’s tour around campus. Now if we round the corner over here we can cut through the back and be at the cafeteria within 2 minutes. Lunch is now in session.”

 

“You mean we could’ve just cut through the back instead of going through the field?” Jessica gasped in between heavy breathing.

 

Yuri nodded her head. “Yeah. People coming from the library cut through here to save time.”

 

“Aish! We could’ve just done that!” Jessica tried to swing her hand up in irritation when she felt resistance. Her eyes followed her arm down to where her hand was locked firmly in another. She had a fleeting thought of how the hand felt so soft and warm, but then realized what she was thinking and quickly jerked her arm back, furiously blushing. Thank God her face was already flushed from the walking and the heat.

 

“Ah, but then I wouldn’t have given you the full tour as I promised.” Yuri said nonchalantly, pocketing her hands. “Well, now that it’s over, let’s get back to the cafeteria. I’m hungry.” She cheered, turning on her heels to cut through the side of the library. Jessica sighed as she followed after. It had been weeks since she ate real food and not the bars hidden under her bed- which reminds her she needed to stack up again if she were to continue declining Tiffany’s offer to eat at the cafeteria.

 

“Oh, and by the way” Yuri’s voice cut through her thoughts. Yuri had stopped walking ahead of her and was just standing, smirking at her. “Your hand sure is cold. Are you sick or something?”

 

Eyes twitching Jessica curled her hand in a fist, motioning to the taller girl that she’d punch her. The girl drew back, holding her hands up in surrender, but the huge smile plastered on her face says otherwise. “I’m just saying.”

 

She turned back, once again leading the way. Just when Jessica thought she had dropped the subject entirely she spoke up. “Hey, if you ever need someone to warm your hands I’ll be glad to hold them for you.”

 

And with a bright smile Yuri ran off leaving a stunned Jessica gaping dazedly at her retreating back.

 

~~~

And.. that took a while. I blame my net connection!