Nine

Spontaneity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Myungsoo..w-what a surprise?" I was dumbstruck and could barely muster out words

I didn't know what to think of this situation. My ex, who broke my heart, and the current love of my life (basically) were in the presence of each other. They've been around each other before, but not that Mark knows the situation, this changes things. And what are the ing odds that Myungsoo happens to show up after I just finished explaining things to Mark?!

"I was actually just leaving to pick up Naeun at work," Myungsoo said, flashing a polite smile.

"Oh, we just saw her. Pretty coincidental we ran into you too…."

We both exchanged awkward laughs and a wave of awkward silence was upon us in seconds.

"So--" Myungsoo and I spoke at the same time.

More awkward laughs. And more awkward silence.

"What are you doing here, Myungsoo?" Mark bluntly spoke out in a monotonous tone, startling both of us. Mark was so quiet this whole time that I almost forgot he was here.

"Hello to you too, Mark," Myungsoo chuckled out. "I'm actually checking out of here. We've been staying in this hotel for almost a week because we couldn't afford our rent this month. But a friend of mine found us a cheap condo not too far from here. My kid's in the room with our old friend Chorong. I'm just packing our stuff in the car and once I pick up Naeun, we'll be off," Myungsoo explained and gestured towards the luggage and backpacks he was carrying.

Mark and I shot a quick glance at each other and knew exactly what we were thinking. I didn't want to show it, but we actually felt pretty sympathetic towards them. It's crazy to see how much has changed since high school.

"Myungsoo..--"

"Oh, you don't have to pity us or anything. I vowed to myself and Naeun that I will try my best to get us back on our feet and stay stable until my little boy starts school," Myungsoo confessed cheerfully without an ounce of doubt in his voice.

I mean, I didn't ask, and Mark probably didn't care either, but something about their story tugged a string in my heart. It hit a soft spot that I didn't expect.

If the whole situation with Myungsoo never happened, then Mark and I would have never happened, I mean…I could have been Naeun. I could have been pregnant then instead of now. I could have lived a life with Myungsoo…I could have been living like that, or possibly even worse since I didn't have that family background like wither of them. Just thinking about it gives me chills. I'm glad it's not me, but I still felt sympathetic for them. I get that Myungsoo was a huge back then, and maybe he didn't change, but he doesn't deserve to suffer like this. No one deserves a life of struggle.

I turned my back on Myungsoo and faced Mark quickly.

"Mark, can you give us a minute?" I asked pleading with my eyes while tugging at his sleeve and pouting the slightest bit. I knew he would give in.

Mark sighed heavily in defeat and pressed the elevator button again and grabbed the groceries out of my hand.

"Later, Myungsoo. Stay out of trouble and take care," Mark admitted blandly while giving me a peck on the lips before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter