Seven

Spontaneity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The next morning, the same routine happened again. I woke up, threw up, Mark tried comforting me-- it was a vicious cycle. While Mark was in the shower, I decided to take a stroll down the street to a market. We were going to be here for a few more days and I didn't wanna keep eating out, so I wanted to buy groceries. After leaving a note on the freshly made bed and grabing a coat, I headed out.

It was pretty peaceful, the streets on my hometown. You saw parents holding their kids' hands crossing the street, old couples enjoying a walk and feeding the birds. It was all pretty pleasant. I got to the market and was welcomed by an an older aged woman who gave me a warm, welcoming smile that I couldn't help but reciprocate back while bowing in respect. I grabbed a basket and started looking for things I needed.

 

Author's POV

Mijoo was searching the aisles for some items when she accidentally bumped into a worker. "Oh, i'm so sorry!"

"Oh, it's okay it's my fault--wait..Mijoo? Lee Mijoo? Woah," said the worker. Mijoo was slightly confused. She tilted her head to the side and brightened up like a lightbulb just went off.

"OH! Son Naeun? Daebak! Good to see you? How are you?" Mijoo replied astonishingly.

Son Naeun was Mijoo's old classmate. In high school, Mijoo was always friendly. She was also always ranked top 3 in her class. But Naeun was the one who was always right behind her. Naeun had secretly been jealous of Mijoo because she always one-uped her with everything. Naeun was quite surprised that Mijoo didn't remember her after what she did to her in high school.

 

*flashback*

"Annyeong, Mijoo," Naeun said with a bright (fake) smile plastered on her face. 

"Annyeong, Naeun! How was your weekend?" Mijoo returned. 

"It was great, what about you?"

The duo was walking to school one spring morning. They made small talk solely to make it seem like they were friends, which, to Mijoo's disadvantage, believed. Naeun was, for a lack of a better term, fake. She didn't care about Mijoo nor her weekend. She was just trying to be friendly enough so that Mijoo wouldn't suspect that Naeun didn't dislike her. They reached their classroom and took a seat for class to begin.

"Annyeong, Myungsoo oppa," Naeun heard Mijoo say from up front. This was another thing. Naeun wanted Myungsoo to be with her, not Mijoo. Naeun had prepared herself to confess to Myungsoo in their third year, but he made it clear that he had feelings for Mijoo. The two had been a couple throughout the summer until this last spring semester of high school. 

'Annyeong, Myungsoo oppa,' Naeun recited in her head mocking Mijoo. 'Ugh, I hate her. I hate him. I hate both of them.' She thought again before pulling out her notebook to begin class.

The entire day. Naeun was so fed up with the couple. For some reason, she just wanted to do something about it. She thought against it, though, knowing very well how badly it could end.

She thought, 'calm down, Son Naeun. You're prettier than her, you have more friends, you have guys falling head over heels for you, and you certaintly have a better life than her....sure she might have perfect hair, perfect height, perfect smile, perfect boyfriend, and better grades.....aish! You know what...I'm just going to give up. Who am I kidding? Myungsoo clearly likes her. Possibly even loves her..I will try to make him like me, who cares about Lee Mijoo," while eating her lunch sadly alone in the school courtyard.

Just then, someone who she never thought of sitting next to came over and sat in front of her: Myungsoo. Naeun had her chopsticks in and looked confused. She turned her head and looked around as if making a gesture to him to check if he was lost.

"Ya. Why are you eating alone, beautiful?" Myungsoo said while playing with the loose strand of hair that framed her face.

Now, she was even more confused. "Um, because I wanted to? What are you doing? Don't you have to be with Mijoo right now?"

"She went to the nurse 10 minutes ago. She had a headache for some reason that I really don't care about. But what I do care about, is you, Son Naeun," Myunsgoo said all too convincingly.

"Bwo? If you wanted me, you should have said so when I confessed," Naeun retorted and continued to eat like it was normal.

"See, heres the thing. I did like Mijoo, but not more than I liked you. She's always too busy for me. I was in it for the feelings the first couple of months, but do you know how difficult it is being with her? You don't know how hard it is being with someone who doesn't have time for you. She had more time for that other Mark guy than me because they work together. I hated him. After those couple of months and summer, once senior year started, I stopped feeling the way I did. Honestly, I'm only still with her because I take pity on her. You, on the other hand, you're someone I could see myself spending the rest of my life with. I'd be lying if I said I'm not physically attracted to you, and as a bonus, you still like me, am I right? I've been watching you, from afar of course. Like, I've noticed you've been putting your hair up more often," Myungsoo said while crossing his arms over his chest and smirking.

"So?" Naeun felt a little bad for him. She would never ignore Myungsoo like Mijoo did. Mijoo didn't want to put off Myungsoo, but she had to work 2 jobs and keep her grades up just to support herself and family. She had no idea Myungsoo felt this way. She always thought he was the best, and most understanding person of her situation. That's why she fell in love with him.

"So?" He said mockingly. "You hate putting your hair up. Ever since middle school. You only do it because I like it when girls do that. What? You think I don't know?" Naeun was quiet because she knew he was right. She silently cursed herself. She put her chopsticks down in surrender and responded.

"What do you want?"

"You."

Next thing you know, Naeun and Myungsoo were in the janitor's closet making out. They weren't aware that the janitor's closet was a couple door's away from the nurse's office. 15 minutes before lunch would be ending, Mijoo came out of the nurse's office and went down the hallway.

"Thank you for the medicine," she said thankfully. 'Now I have to find

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter