Freshmen Orientation Camp

Do opposite poles repel?

Na-eun's pov

"Alright, please gather for your next station briefing!" our camp instructor shouted loudly. It was the first day of my second week of high school and I was already attending freshmen orientation camp. Everyone around me were so excited and bubbly. Laughter and shrieks of excitement replaced the gloomy atmosphere that existed a few hours ago while waiting under the scorching heat to enter the camp site. The whole cohort of the freshmen were here. A plethora of coloured t-shirts were strewn across the whole field. Each and everyone of the students were wearing their favourite coloured t-shirt like they were instructed to. Each class was divided into 4 groups that each consisted of 9 people. Everyone was excited for this class bonding camp. All except one.

One week ago, third day of school

Na-eun was lucky enought to have Ha Young in her class as she was her best sister and soulmate for life, so she didn't need to worry about making friends. Well, at least not for now. 

"Ya, Na-eun ah, have you heard of the Freshman Orientation camp?! It's going to be so wonderful, getting to make new friends!!" 

"Yeah, i heard. We have to go in our favourite coloured shirt or something, right? Why are they asking us to do weird things..."

"Who knows, maybe you'll find the love of your life!" Ha Young sneered at her. 

"Ya, stop it!" Na-eun smacked the back of Ha Young's head and chuckled along to Ha Young's joke. Actually, she was looking forward to the camp. She haven't had camps in like forever. Na-eun wanted to quickly get along with all the people in her class already. During lunch break, Ji Myung, Na-eun's classmate was queueing behind them to buy her food when Na-eun heard her conversation with someone else, 

"Ya, why don't you want to participate in the freshmen camp?! It'll be fun~ I promise. Besides, camps are good for anti-social people like you, tch"

"Han Ji Myung, just shut your mouth I'm not going, even if it costs my death"

"Wow, Ji Myung made friends already? Hmm, given her active and hyper personality, i guess I'm not surprised" Na-eun thought mentally to herself. 

"But you could undoubtedly make a few friends and not be sooooo lonely at school everyday!" 

"I have Jimin hyung and V hyung and that's more than enough for me, now shut up and buy your food"

Would someone hate camping so much? Who could possibly hate outdoor activities? They're a hell load of fun! "I can't imagine someone being so stupid" Na-eun muttered to Ha Young and she nodded in agreement, showing Na-eun that she was eaves dropping on their conversation too. 

"YA JEON JUNGKOOK!" 

Na-eun turned around to see a pouting Ji Myung who was facing a guy's back view whos hair is slightly brown and man, he was pretty tall. But she couldn't care less, she didn't even know how he looked like. Not until freshmen camp. 

Present

The groups were divided such that each group only had 3 people with the same coloured t-shirts. "Alright, please organise your groups so that each group will have 3 people of the same coloured t-shirts while i go and prepare your next bonding activity." I moved towards the other 2 who were already seated together. To my surprise, my two other group members were Ji Myung and one other guy whose name i have yet to know. His face was decorated with frowns and his expression was more than unwilling to participate in this camp. 

"Ya, Jeon Jungkook, would you at least say hi to your team member?" Ji Myung asked him. It daunted me that this guy that was sitting across me in a red t-shirt was the only unwilling soul that refused to attend the camp. His name was Jeon Jungkook. Seeing his level of awkwardness at it's maximum, I stretched out my right hand to offer a handshake, "Hi, I'm Na-eun". To my horror, he didn't even bother turning his head to greet me and uttered a lifeless "Hi" at me. I was slightly annoyed at first but came to accept the fact that different people have different characters so i should learn to accept him as my anti-social group member. Suddenly, his name became more familiar to me... "Jeon Jungkook? Where have i heard this name... sounds sooo awfully familiar"I thought so hard that my brains were about to explode when i finally found my answer.

"Oh! That guy that Ji Myung was talking to in the cafeteria the other day!" I jerked up so suddenly that even the monotonous Jungkook looked up at me,

 

"What?"

"Oh, it's nothing, i just thought of how familiar your name was and i found my answer."

 

"Well, good for you. There's no one around here that doesn't know my name though. Took you long enough, lady." 

 

"It's Na-eun, if you don't mind." “He didn’t even turn to look at me while talking to me! What audacity!” I fumed and Ji Myung could literally see imaginary smoke emitting from the top of my head. 

 

"Hehe, eh Na-eun ah, don't bother about him, he's usually like this."

"Breathe, Na-eun, breathe. Don't get angry, you're here to socialise. Never give up hope!" with that, i calmed myself down and proceeded to carry out the activity with Ji Myung, leaving the "Oh-so-unfriendly" guy out, fufiling his requests. I never talked to him until dinner time. 

"Ew, is this all they serve here?!" Jungkook exclaimed to himself. 

"What do you expect? We're at a campsite, not a five-star hotel, Mr Jeon." i muttered sarcastically at him. 

"But I hate cabbage and the chicken they serve is way too little for my liking"

"Don't eat then" the words came out of my mouth faster than i could imagine myself saying, so i had no control over what i said, until it was out. He cocked his head to the side and raised an eyebrow, mentally saying "Excuse me?" "" i mentally cursed myself, "Make friends! Not freaking enemies! God damn it Na-eun" i slapped myself on the forehead and repeated my sentence.

"I m-mean, you could have my portion of the chicken and i could eat all your cabbages" i carelessly blurted out.

"What now Son Na-eun? No meat = no life and happiness oh my god.." i mentally face palmed myself, yet for the 20th time today.

"Oh? That'll be great. Thanks a lot. " he "cheered" and walked to an empty table and sat down.

I sighed at such ungentlemanliness and walked over to sit with him and the already seated Ji Myung. The seats beside Ji Myung were already taken and there was only one seat left, which is beside Jeon Jungkook. It was as if that seat was meant for me. I could almost see the spotlight shining so brightly at the seat, beckoning me to go over and sit down. With no other options, i walked over and sat down beside him. As promised, I gave him all my chicken and he gave me all his cabbages. 

"Wow, you guys look like married couples already." Ji Myung teased as i put the last spoon of chicken down on his plate.

"Ya, say one more word and i'll smack your head." he almost screamed at her before i could even open my mouth to show my disagreement. 

It was pretty weird and awkward sitting beside him. The tables and benches were meant for only 1 person, but knowing the camp's objective, (which was to allow the students to bond as much as possible) they would probably try to squeeze in 2 or more people into 1 seat, if not the rest had to stand while eating. Luckily for me, i was skinny enough to fit into the seat, but not skinny enough to avoid my elbows from brushing onto his, from time to time while we were eating. I was glad that he showed no discomfort in sitting beside me --or rather he didn't even care. 

We had to wash our own dishes after we had our meals. To my amusement, he didn't know how to go about doing it. Ji Myung was busy teaching him how to wash his own dishes and i could see faint pink blushes on his cheeks --probably ashamed of not knowing how to wash his own dishes at his age. I chuckled slightly at his blushing face and slowly walked to my next location for our night activity. 

Ji Myung and Jungkook arrived slightly later than the rest. I guess Jungkook was having problems learning how to wash his dishes, if not Ji Myung wouldn't have been nagging and cursing at him non-stop when the instuctors told them to hurry up. 

"All of you have to listen carefully to my instructions, okay?" 

"Alright!" the whole campsite echoed in unision.

"Right now, we are about to head out for a night walk and since most of you have been really good today, i will let you choose your partners for tonight's event. You can partner with anyone of any coloured shirt. But remember, it is only for tonight. But i have one very important rule that each and everyone of you must follow. You must hold each other's hand and do not let go at all times unless i say so. Is that clear? Okay, you have 1 minute to find your partners! Your time starts now!" Everyone ran helter skelter. The whole area was really messy. Countless heads bobbed up and down and i struggled to find Ha Young. She promised me she would partner me if we could choose our own partners. I squeezed through the crowd like a tuna sandwich wrapped with thick, thick, layers of bread and i finally found Ha Young but she was with another girl. 

"Oh hey Na-eun, I'm sorry but Min Young wants to partner me for today, is that okay?" she shouted through all the noise and surprisingly i could hear her. I nodded to show that it was okay and went off in search for a partner. 

"30 seconds left!" 

I panicked. I didn't want to end up without a partner. I walked one round around the hut and I saw Ji Myung with one of her guy friends that she decided to partner. I stopped my foot steps and pondered.

"That means... he doesn't have a partner right? I could partner him... or someone else..." i shook my head. There was no way i was going to partner that jerk. What if something were to happen along the way? He'd probably leave me alone and continue walking... I sighed in defeat and sat at the left corner of the hut. 

"Your time is up! Who doesn't have a partner?!" 

I walked to the front and saw two feet dragging against the ground as it made its way towards me. I looked up. "Dang it! Why does it have to be Jeon Jungkook of all people?!" I frowned and he could see my reluctance to have him as a partner.

After the instructor seperated us into our designated groups, we set off for our night walk. 

...

"Ah, before that, i want to see all of you holding each others hands! If not, we won't start. And the faster we finish, the faster you get to bathe! If i catch anyone not holding hands, i will let you walk alone and your partner will hold my hand." 

Despite the instructor telling us to hold hands, both of us still stood there in silence. Neither one of us were willing to at least stretch out our hands to hold each others'. 

"Waiting for Christmas?" the instructor nodded her head, gesturing to our unheld hands. I held my hand out in defeat, waiting for him to hold it. He grabbed my hand and interwined it with his. I was momentarily shocked by the electricity that passed through me. I had never held anyone's hand before. I never thought it would feel this comfortable. His hands felt soft and warm. Heat made its way up my cheeks unknowingly and i blushed slightly at the contact of his fingers in mine. I was dazed and kept staring at our interwined fingers. He fisted his cough to let me know he was still physically there. I turned my head to the other side in embarrassment and we both remained silent and continued walking. 

As the chilly night wind made its presence known, my fingers tightened around his. 

"What, you're feeling cold already?" he spoke in a low voice to avoid the attention of others on us. 

"NO? Who said i was?"

"Hey lower your volume... and your fingers gave way." 

"No, i just wanted to lessen the space between our fingers so that no wind will pass through and that way, we both won't feel cold." i smiled lightly at him. He turned to the side after hearing my words and i wasn't sure of his reaction then, as i couldn't see his face.

"Did he just blush?" I don't know if i saw it wrong because it was possible to see things wrongly in this pitched black darkness. I pondered about it but let the matter rest because even if i pointed it out, he wouldn't admit it anyway. 

Just as we were about to end our night walk --and this deafening silence between me and him, i tripped over a rock and fell onto the ground. 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: 

I didn't have time to proof-read this as i was too lazy, and i wanted you all to read it asap! once again, no perfect grammar or vocab so.. hahahahah and as the story goes on, the chapters will eventually get longer i promise. But for now i hope this satisfies you all! 

WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN NEXT? CLIFF HANGER MODE: ON!

stay tuned~

Thanks for reading and please anticipate the next chapter!!

`Peterabitt