005

Duplicity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hye Rim and Sohee had just walked out when a white car pulled in and honked before it stopped in front of them. "What are you guys doing? Get in!" Jiyong waved for them to get inside. Sohee texted Jiyong last night to ask about Hye Rim riding with them and she was sure that he was gonna say no, but to her surprise, he replied with a simple: "Sure."

"What happened to your other car?" Sohee asked as she straps herself in. "The princess needs her own seat," he said, winking at Hye Rim from the rearview mirror. Hye Rim giggled while Sohee rolled her eyes. "Did bring your jacket?" Jiyong asked. "No," she answered, confused. "Did you get my text last night?" he glanced sideways at her. "Oh. I forgot to check my phone," Sohee had spent most of her night doing homework. "G-d. Why do I even bother texting you?" he grumbled, "Well now you're gonna be freezing at the track meet."

Track meet? "What?"

"What's a track meet?" Hye Rim asked.

"It's a thing I'm competing in. I'm gonna be doing the sprints," he answered, sounding less annoyed than a second ago when he talked to Sohee.

"I'm sorry. Do I have to go?" Sohee asked him.

He gave her an exasperated look, "Of course you do."

"You can make your luck cookies, unnie!" Hye Rim exclaimed excitedly, leaning forward and wanting to be a part of the conversation.

"What's a luck cookie?" he asked Sohee with an amused curiosity on his face.

Sohee sighs, "It's just a cookie."

"No, unnie! It's a cookie that gives you luck!" Hye Rim cut in.

Jiyong grinned and glanced at Sohee with a questioning look, wanting her to explain further. "A few years ago she had her first gymnastic competition but she refused to come out and compete. So I baked her these cookies and told her that it's..." she began, keeping her voice whispery quiet, "That it's sprinkled with luck and if she eats one, she'll be lucky and win." Sohee thought Jiyong would send her weird looks but he just smiled and nodded conspiratorily. "Well... I simply must have these luck cookies, right Hye Rim?" he grinned at the 9 year old from the rearview mirror. She responded with an excited yelp.

***

After dropping Hye Rim off at her school, Sohee pointed that she would not have the time to bake those cookies if she was gonna leave with Jiyong who was leaving with the school bus with the rest of the track team. But instead, Jiyong nonchalantly called his driver to fetch her. "I have to have those cookies, Sohee," he said dramatically, making Sohee want to laugh, "If I lose, will you take responsibility for me?" he added, clutching her hand, mimicking those male leads in dramas. She rolled her eyes but laughed anyway at his ridiculousness. He pulled her in for a hug before she could protest some more. "You have to be at the game," he whispered, then planting a kiss on her lips before walking away to his class.

So now Sohee found herself inside a luxury car that she's never even heard of, en route to her apartment after a very public goodbye with Jiyong at the parking lot ("Make the cookies extra lucky," he whispered after he had kissed her passionately as if he's never gonna see her again, making Sohee blush in embarrassment because of the whistles that Jiyong's friends were sounding at them). Arriving home to an empty house, Sohee immediately began to work. The cookies were really just a simple sugar cookies from a recipe she found online. She typically iced them with the green four leaf clover icing but this time, with the last cookie, she decided to ice them with something else. She stacked them neatly in a container before running into her room to change. Jiyong was already texting her to hurry up ("All the other guys' girlfriends are here. Where are my cookies?") when Sohee finally ran out the door.

Arriving at the track meet, Sohee clutched the container of cookies to her chest as she tried her best to find Jiyong. When she found him, he was warming up with his teammates. He looked so lean in his track clothes, the tight shorts that hit just above the knee and the running tank that molded to his body. He also looked serious and not like the mischevious and annoying Jiyong that Sohee usually sees. She was admiring the view as she walked when she bumped into someone. "Oh. I'm so sorry," she immediately apologized and looked up to find Nichkhun, smiling down at her. "Oh hey. What are you doing here?" he asked, sounding so friendly and nice that Sohee could melt into the ground. "I forgot. For Jiyong, right?" Nichkhun continued. Sohee nodded, "How about you?" she asked him. Nichkhun held up the flyer in his hand with a wide grin, "Giving out flyers for the service trip next year," he answered, handing her one. Sohee took hers and folded it nicely underneath the container, making a mental note to look into it when she gets home. Suddenly, a breeze of wind passed through her, making her shiver. So this is why Jiyong told me to bring a jacket, she thought to herself as she rubbed her bare arm with one hand. She only had time to change into a simple white t-shirt and a pair of black skinny jeans before she left her house.

"You look freezing," Nichkhun quickly took off

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter