003

Duplicity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, Sohee arrived at school after taking the subway like she always does. Jiyong was already waiting by the gate when he saw her emerge from the underground subway station. "Do you take the subway everyday?" he asked, sounding a little offended. She nodded, "I don't have a car." She knows that Jiyong drives one of his many luxury cars to school everyday. She was probably among the few who takes public transport to and from school. "Tomorrow... I'll pick you up," he stated, grabbing her hand and clasping it with his before walking into the school. From the moment they stepped passed the gate of the school, she could feel the stares of everyone. Ev-e-ry-one. The attention made Sohee incredibly uncomfortable while Jiyong calmly walked towards his locker like it's just another day of school. Along the way, he kept stopping to talk to people and Sohee could feel the questioning look that they were throwing at him. She's trying her best not to be offended. "Your hands are sweaty," she hissed. "Shut up," he replied, smiling to his friends in the process.

They stopped at his locker and Sohee immediately let go of his hand, glad. "What class do you have today?" he asked her, leaning on the locker next to hers. "Why do you need to know?" she asked, confused. Sighing, he answered, "So I can walk you to and from class, you dummy." Great. We've been fake dating for less than an hour and he's already tired of me, she thought to herself. "You don't need to do that," she said. "That's what boyfriends do, Sohee. What will people say if they see you walking down the hall on your own? Will they believe that we're dating?" he sounded impatient. "I thought we're boyfriend and girlfriend, not conjoined twins at the hip," she barked back. Truthfully, she was feeling overwhelmed at the sudden presence of Jiyong in her life. It's weird enough to have him meet her out front in the morning; walking to and from class with him would be too much for Sohee's system to handle.

"Alright. Whatever. Walk to class on your own," he finally said before leaning down to kiss her.

"What are you doing?" Sohee backed away, looking at him with her eyes widened.

"I'm trying to say goodbye," now he looked annoyed.

"Oh... okay. Sorry. I've never dated before... so... this is all new to me," she closed her locker and hugged her giant literature textbook on her chest, like to protect herself from everything.

Jiyong looked thoughtful for a moment as he said nothing in response.

"What?" she asked.

"We'll save some stuff then. Since you've never dated before," he said. Sohee was touched. "But we'll have to kiss at least once a day because my friends won't believe that I turned into a saint just to date you," Jiyong continued.

"O... okay," Sohee said nervously.

"Not now though. You need more practice," he said.

Sohee glared at him.

"See you at lunch!" he continued before walking away.

***

Arriving home later that day, Sohee immediately threw herself on her bed and lied still. She was glad that Jiyong had track practise - glad to have the time to herself. It's hard to comprehend that everyone in National High now thinks that she's dating Kwon Jiyong. She was once just another student at National High and now everyone is curious about her. What made the Kwon Jiyong of National High pick her after he broke up with Kiko? "Maybe she's really good in bed," was one answer that she overheard as she attempted to walk out the gate of the school as calmly as possible, turning Sohee into a real life red lobster. For some reason, this had hurt even though she knows all of this was a facade. I guess this is the risk of being Jiyong's girlfriend... she concluded with a heavy sigh.

"SOHEE?" she heard Hye Rim's voice from the kitchen downstairs. She immediately got up and ran down the stairs to see her little sister on the kitchen island with her books spread all over. "I'm hungry..." Hye Rim said without looking up from her book. Sohee walked to the kitchen and put on her apron quietly before starting to pull out mixing bowls, cup measurements, and ingredients. Baking soothes her. Being calculated and careful about what she puts in the bowl, and watching the batter turn into something else entirely always gives Sohee a certain kind of satisfaction that she rarely finds elsewhere. An hour later, she trudged upstairs after Hye Rim called out her thanks for the three dozen peanut butter chocolate cookies.

Normally, baking would always leave Sohee tired and content. But as she lied in her bed, she found herself tossing and turning in worry, wondering what else tomorrow will bring her.

***

The next morning, Sohee found herself unsure of what to do. Jiyong had indicated that he was going to pick her up from now on, and while she gave him her address, Jiyong h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter