012

Duplicity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sohee's newfound activity has nearly taken over her world. She now spends most of her time reading the news, practicing debate, watching debate, and talking to her debate teammates. It was an odd sight to see for everyone, including Sohee herself. She never remembered ever being so excited to take on a new challenge before even though her fear of messing up and failing still often overpowered everything else. Knowing that her book-smarts would not necessarily benefit her in this field, Sohee now spends every waking hour reading news articles on her phone to keep herself informed. "Just download a few apps and read as much as you can," Nichkhun had advised her when she shared her insecurity of being the dumbest one in the team.

And then there was Nichkhun.

Her teammates were nice, friendly people but Nichkhun has got to be the one who was helping her the most. She has to remind herself that he is the captain of the team and therefore obligated to help her. She was starting to enjoy the attention a little too much. "I mean, he's just so nice," Sohee told Krystal when they had lunch together because Jiyong was away on a track meet. "There must be something wrong with that guy, though. Come on, Sohee. Spill it. I've never seen him frown even once. No one should ever be that happy and positive all the time," Krystal prodded, making Sohee laugh as she shook her head, "I don't know how he does it, but he really is that happy and positive all the time," she explained.

Last week, during practice, Sohee was tasked to debate about the Arab Springs. She had little clue about the phenomenon and events surrounding it, so she naturally panicked when the topic was announced. She was starting to sweat and freeze up when Nichkhun casually came over to her desk and pointed her to the direction of a useful article that summarised the basics. He then proceeded to ask her questions that helped her find the right information and strengthen her case. This continued to occur during rehearsals until Sohee knew to expect Nichkhun's help. They'd spend extra time after practice since Jiyong's track practice always ends an hour after hers where Nichkhun coached Sohee on what to do to make her a better debater. Jiyong would usually knock on the window of the classroom and Sohee immediately gathered her things to leave, bidding Nichkhun goodbye.

Today, though, Jiyong was away for another track meet. This was the last track meet for the season and it was a qualifying one for further championships. He had asked her repeatedly if he should send his driver to pick her up, but Sohee waved him off and told

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter