013

Duplicity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sohee was waiting for Jiyong to pick her up that morning, sitting on the front steps of the building. She kept adjusting her tan stocking and pulled the coat closer. It was nearing the end of Fall and the weather was getting colder and colder. She was dressed professionally for her first debate tournament later that afternoon. When she was told that she had to dress professionally, she went and dragged Krystal to the store to buy some pencil skirts, blazer, and tops to go with the look. Today, she put on a black high waisted skirt that went a little above her knees with a white top. The longer she waited, the colder she felt so she put on the matching black blazer and hugged her legs tight.

"You look hot," Jiyong said, surprised at her outfit when she climbed in the car, "Why are you all dressed up? Are you gonna pitch a meeting to someone?" he pulled the car out of the lot while stealing glances at her. Her hair was up in a loose braided contraption and her eyeliner was applied thicker to make her eyes looked fiercer. She looked different than how she normally dressed for school - in uniform and with the bare minimum on the make up department.

"I have a debate tournament today," she answered simply, still a little annoyed at Jiyong's slight tardiness.

"Oh yeah."

When they arrived at school later on, Sohee realized her mistake of wearing her debate outfit. She saw other members of the debate team wearing their uniform while carrying a garment bag to store their suits. Of course, she thought, Why didn't I check first? she cursed at herself. They're scheduled to leave for the tournament at 11:00 AM since the venue is an hour and a half away by car. She was growing more and more mortified with each passing second as she walked down the hall with Jiyong to the stare of everyone when she saw Nichkhun come out of the classroom wearing a black dress pants and a white button down. She immediately breathed a sigh of relief. "Annyeong," she greeted him with a wave, a tad too excitedly when he spotted her.

She was grabbing her Physics notebook when Jiyong leaned on the locker next to hers with a certain look on his face. "Annyeong," he muttered. She glanced at him before responding, "Annyeong." She closed her locker and turned to say goodbye when he asked, "Why are you wearing a couple outfit with Nichkhun?" his tone accusing. Sohee rolled her eyes. "This is what people wear when they debate," she explained, "Everyone else on the team wears a professional outfit too."

"I don't see any of them wearing it now," he continued, "How do you think this makes me look? My girlfriend being all matchy-matchy with another guy."

"Jiyong-ah, everyone in the team and the whole tournament will be wearing professional clothes like this. Besides, no one pays attention to those stuff anyway."

"I pay attention!" he grumbled.

"Well I'm sorry. This is just the nature of the competition."

"I be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter