002

Duplicity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You could probably call it serendipity. If Sohee hadn't moved to National High. If she hadn't been harboring a crush on Nichkhun. If she hadn't been too shy to talk to Nichkhun. If she hadn't written all those letters. If Daesung had came into school late as he usually does. None of this would've happened, but it did.

***

"Oh my god..." Sohee muttered under breath as she locked herself in the bathroom stall. Her heartbeat was beating so hard that it felt like it could burst out of her chest cavity. She thought of two things at the moment: (1) that she needs to exercise more and (2) that she needs to dig a hole to the center of the Earth and plunge to her death. She had just kissed Kwon Jiyong. The 'It' guy of National High. The guy that possessed a mischevious handsomeness where you're left wondering what kind of plot he's scheming. Besides, she's never liked him ever since she heard the stories of his wild escapades with his girlfriend, Kiko.

"Oh my god. Kiko!" she silently cried as she fidgeted in her tiny stall. Kiko Mizuhara, the Korean American girl with a Japanese name, that sort of ruled the school with her cold and chilling charm. Even though Sohee doesn't believe it, Krystal swore that she felt literal chills when Kiko passed by. She was mostly quiet but somehow commanded the attention of the entire school, and everyone was probably afraid of her to different degrees. Her career as a model had recently took off and according to rumours, she's been flying back and forth to Japan for her photoshoots. "Flat s must be a thing there," Krystal snidely remarked once. Krystal has made it no secret that she hates Kiko. Even though she has to admit that Kiko does carry a presence, she refuse to "bow down to her face" as Krystal so nicely put it. Sohee always merely shrugged in response as she likes to remain enemy-less.

...until now. The voice in her head reminded her of the peril at hand.

Sohee's still not sure why she went ahead and did something so crazy. Nichkhun is her long time crush and perhaps having him know her feelings was just mortifying enough that she doesn't need the whole school knowing too. But in this situation, it's as if she's throwing herself to the cage of another hungry lion by kissing Kwon Jiyong. The wrath of Kiko may not be worth having the school not know about her crush on Nichkhun. I just need to explain myself, she told herself, Jiyong and Kiko will understand. She took deep breaths right as the bell rings. After waiting a few minutes until the hallways are clear, Sohee walked out of the bathroom.

***

When the clock strikes 03:00 PM, Sohee stood up nervously and began packing up her things. She can hear the chatter of the people around her. She wondered if they were talking about her but she decided not to try to decipher their murmurs. If they are talking about her, she'll lose the little courage she has about talking to Jiyong and Kiko. Knowing that Jiyong would be at track and field practise, Sohee walked nervously to the track behind the school. It'll be okay... it'll be okay... it'll be okay... she kept telling herself as she tried to steel herself to keep walking. From the distance, she could spot Jiyong who was stretching his legs by one of the hurdles as he chats with his friends. Wearing his track shorts and t-shirt, Jiyong looked casual and less intimidating.

"Can I talk to you for a sec?" Sohee asked when she was close enough to Jiyong. His friends gave him a teasing look while he shrugged in response before he followed Sohee towards the bleachers, away from everyone else. "That was quite the move that you pulled on me, Sohee," he uttered with a mischevious smile, sending blushes of bright pink to Sohee's cheeks and effecively raising her body temperature in embarrassment. "Don't remind me," she snapped, suddenly annoyed at his nonchalance. While this was doomsday for her, it was clearly just another regular day for him.

"I'm sorry for jumping--" Sohee tried her best to ignore Jiyong's snicker at the word 'jump,' "--on you and all that. I needed to distract someone."

Jiyong's eyebrow rised. "Who?"

"It doesn't matter. Just... thank you and I promise that it won't happen again," she quicky answered, wanting to end the mortifying conversation.

"Wait... my lips was abused for no reason this morning. I think I deserve to know why," he inquired.

Sohee sighed, "It's... it's complicated, okay?"

"Try me."

She sighed again before explaining the ridiculous circumstances that prompted her dramatic kiss. By the end of it, Jiyong stared at her with an incredulous look on his face, like he could not believe what he had just heard (not that Sohee's blaming him since she's still having a hard time believing it as well). "Nichkhun? That's the guy you like?" he asked in disbelief, "He's such a tool. Too goody goody for his own good. Though it makes sense that you'd like him," he continued, making Sohee glare at him, annoyed at both his statement about Nichkhun and his judgment on her. "What are you implying?" she asked, making her annoyance crystal clear. He just shrugged, "I mean. You're the type to stay at home on weekends to do homework and cook or bake cupcakes, right? You probably only watch romcoms." Sohee bit ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter