Chapter Three (pt. 1)

Mission Impossible

The last day. Kai was unable to sleep, thoughts running through his head like a tornado. He had to find a partner today, or he wouldn't be allowed to go on the mission. And he couldn't afford to give up the mission; they needed the money too much. But he's always been a solo act. He would hate to have to drag someone else into this mess. Not to mention, he didn't have many friends other than Tao, and that's because their fathers were constantly together. Friends are dangerous, and Jongin knew it wasn't good to let anyone get too close. He has too many secrets, too much darkness.
His head started hurting again, and he knew what was coming. Rolling over in his bed, he let the flashback overtake him, bits and pieces of his painful past. 
Watching his dad rely on alcohol when the company started crashing. Seeing the abusive tendencies start. Having to steal bandages and antiseptic from the corner store to make sure the cuts and burns didn't infect. Pretending nothing happened the next day, not bothering to tell his father what he turns into after a few drinks. Unable to do anything as the family fell apart, unable to keep his mother from slowly fading away, driven mad by everything. The funeral, his father telling everyone that she slipped and fell off of that overhang. Getting odd jobs to keep the dysfunctional household running. Being forced to join his dad in his "orders". And as he grew older, forced to take over the deliveries while his father pretended nothing was wrong and going to useless meetings to try and save their hopeless company.
The phone rings, breaking through his muddled recollections, and Kai reached for his cell next to the bed.
"Hello?"
"KAI WTF ARE YOU DOING YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE AN HOUR AGO"
There was only one person who dared to call him, let alone arrange an outing, before 12 PM.
"What are you talking about, Tao?"
"Hyung you promised me you'd take me shopping for some shoes that matched the suit Kyungsoo got me."
"Oh yeah. , I forgot. I'll be there in ten."
------
"So, do you like him?"
"Like who?" Kai pretended that he didn't know exactly who Tao was talking about.
"Kyungsoo!"
"Oh, D.O." He tried to act nonchalant, but at the mention of his name his heartbeat quickened. 
"He's alright."
"You liar. You were all over him at my party. You like him, don't you? Too bad he has a girlfriend."
"It's not like that! He told me he hated her, hated girls even. He's just forced to date Sarah because their parents are good friends and his mother doesn't approve of homouals and he needs to get good grades and-" he cut off mid ramble as he noticed Tao giving him a cheeky smirk. 
"Boy, you've got it baaaaaad. Don't worry, I got you. Let love expert Zitao handle this."
------Kyungsoo-------
"D.O?"
Kyungsoo starts, surprised that Jongin knew who was calling. He wasn't expecting him to pick up, knowing from talking to Tao that the man never woke before 12 PM. 
"Hello?"
Now that there was actually someone on the other line instead of the voicemail that he was going for, Kyungsoo didn't know what to do. He didn't know why, but there was something about this masculine, mysterious male that flustered him.
"Hello?" a third time, laced with impatience at getting no response.
"U-uh, this is Kyungsoo."
"Yeah, I know."
"Oh. Yeah."
"..."
"..."
"..So..."
"What?"
"Why are you calling me?" 
He could tell Jongin was growing annoyed, and quickly blurted out the reason for his call.
"Ah yes Jongin I was just calling because Tao gave me your number and told me not to call before 12 but I have to leave for school in ten minutes so I thought I'd leave a voicemail but you picked up."
"..."
"This is Kyungsoo."
"I've noticed."
"Oh. Sorry. But anyways Tao wanted me to ask if you wanted to go do something tomorrow because I'm off of school and my girlfriend is on a business trip with her parents and he's going on a date with Kris so everyone is busy and I liked talking to you at the party and you're a nice dancer and I don't have any homework."
"What?"
"I'm saying...Do you want to go out with me?"
"..."
"As friends though, of course. I have a girlfriend."
"I thought you said you hated her."
"It-it's..Complicated. So do you want to or not?"
------Kai-------
Kai couldn't believe what he was hearing. Was this adorable man asking him out? He couldn't figure Kyungsoo out. Was this strictly because Tao forced him to call? 
Tomorrow...
The day of the mission. A perfect guy to ask, not close enough for him to need to care about, but well enough acquainted that he might be willing to help.
"Jongin?"
"Oh. Yeah. Sure. You could help me complete a job."
"You're working?"
"Not..Exactly. But you'll see. Can you help?"
"I'm not doing anything anyways. It's a date!"
"D.O?"
"I mean, no homo hahahaha."
Kai chuckled, and hung up the phone. Partner: found. Now he just had to get the materials for the order.
---
2KD, 1LG, 1LVR, 2 bags AB, 4 bags O. Jongin checked off the items one by one as they were loaded into the trunk. He adjusted his face mask and pulled down his knit hat. Nodding to the handlers, he paid them a couple twenties and took a ziplock bag filled with what looked like flour in exchange. The two mean dipped their heads in a silent thanks, and quickly drove off, leaving Kai alone with the truck and a couple bags of dry ice on the sidewalk. He stashed the bag into his shoe, and began shoving ice tightly around the boxes, making sure all of them were securely encased. 
The clock inside the vehicle showed 1:56 PM. Time to go meet his "no homo" date. Jongin smiled grimly at what he was about to do, and shut the drivers door.

r/a/n: Hello! We decided to split this chapter into two parts since it ended up being reaaaallly long. I wrote this part, and Sarah's part will be next! We appreciate all your support and all comments; thank you for reading!