4/5

The Unfortunate Events of Infinite

Chapter Four

“Make it quick,” the police officer worn Hyowan as he picked up the old phone.
“Whatever,” Hyowan muttered as he dialed the number.
He had been stuck in his cell for hours waiting for the phones to work so he could make his one call.
There was no doubt in his mind who to call even if everything in his body was telling him to call someone else.
Anyone but him.
“Hello,” a muffled voice answered.
“Jungyeol,” Hyowan voice seemed sharper almost as if he was going through puberty again.
“Hyowan are you back yet?” Jung Yeop asked his voice becoming clear. “Sunggyu’s director has been calling wondering where he is. Thankfu-“
“Sir,” Hyowan’s voice was shaky.
“What happen?” Jung Yeop asked urgently.
“Sir I need your help…I’ve been arrested.”
“WHAT!!”

 

__________________________

 

“Tell us again what happen,” Sunggyu asked as they sat in an empty class room next to the front door.
“Something grabbed me in the dark,” Myungsoo said in a shaky voice.
“So Dongwoo and Sungyeol weren’t down there?” Sungjong asked.
“No it was a trick I think whoever it was tricked us in thinking that it was them. It-t grabbed my leg and Ho-oy-a-a sacrificed himself for me,” Myungsoo told the members as he cried.
“We need to leave now,” Sunggyu said urgently.
“Now you get it,” Myungsoo snapped.
“We need to find the police,” Sungjong told the group. “They have guns and they can figure out what happen to the other members. Maybe they are actually trapped somewhere….”
“How?” Woohyun questioned. “We searched the whole building for a way out.”
“That’s right,” Sunggyu sighed.
“There was this window that we found without bars,” Sungjong added as the members turn their attention to him. “We were going to tell you but then everything happens…I’m sorry.”
“It’s okay,” Sunggyu added. “We understand why you didn’t”
Sungjong nodded. “It wasn’t too far from the ground and we could find something to break the glass.”
“Okay let’s go before that things ge-“
BANG
Myungsoo let out a scream as he grabbed ahold of Sungjong and hugged him tightly.
“Thunder great! Let’s make this even more of a horror film,” Woohyun snapped angrily.
“Sungjong…do you remember where the room is?” Sunggyu asked the youngest.
“Yes,” he told them.
‘Then let’s get going before something else happens,” Sunggyu told the members.
“What if something does happen,” Myungsoo ask as he wiped away his tears.
“Then we deal with it,” Woohyun told him.
“What if we all die?” Myungsoo asked almost whispering.
“Stop it,” Sungjong hugged him. “If you think that way then you already lost. We have to fight.”
Sungjong grabbed ahold of Myungsoo’s face so they could all clearly see him. His eyes were red and there were cuts on his face from the past incidents.
“You can do this,” Sungjong told him. “We can all do this okay. You just need to believe in yourself and in us.”
After a couple of minutes Myungsoo slowly nodded his head.
“Okay then we have a plan. Our phones won’t last long so we need to hurry up,” Sunggyu told them. “Let’s stick closely together and no running off.”
They all nodded.
“On the way if we see anything to smash open the window then grab it. Even if it’s a book or a ruler anything will do,” Woohyun added.
They all nodded once again.
“We will be okay,” Myungsoo told himself.
Sunggyu open the classroom door as he held up his flashlight to see in the darkness.
“We can do this,” Sunggyu told the members even if he didn’t believe in himself.
They walked into the dark hallway trying their hardest to not make a single sound.
They didn’t want to drawl whoever or whatever’s attention on them.
“This way,” Sungjong whispered as he led the group towards the hallway that Hoya and Sungjong checked.
Their hearts were beating in their chest as they tried their best to stay calm.
But they were all freaking out.
“Here,” Sungjong said pointing to a classroom door.
“Let get the hell out of here,” Woohyun said as he slid open the door revealing a plain empty classroom. In the corner of the room was indeed a window that contained no black bars.
Then all of a sudden a light went out and Woohyun swore.
“ my phone is dead now we only have Sungjong and Sunggyu’s phones.”
“I’m at twenty percent,” Sunggyu said looking down at his phone.
“Mine is at thirty four percent,” Sungjong added.
“Good,” Sunggyu nodded. “Turn yours off so after mine dies we will still have yours.”
Sungjong nodded and turn his phone off leaving one single light to protect them.
“Let’s get going,” Woohyun said as he looked around the room for anything that could bust the window open.
“Myungsoo stay by the window while we look,” Sungjong told the member as he led him to the window.
Myungsoo nodded his head as he tried to not let the fear overwhelm him once again. This was over his head and he didn’t know what to do or who to trust. Most of all he felt guilty for getting s trapped in here and worst getting Hoya ki-
“I found it,” Sunggyu said as he held a broom in his hands.
“What are you going to do with that? Clean up a mess?” Woohyun asked from his looking spot.
“No I’m going to do this,” Sunggyu said as he walked over to the window. “I would move Myungsoo.”
Myungsoo backed away as Sunggyu threw the broom handle at the window with all his might.
Clink.
Woohyun laughed loudly trying to hold his mouth. “Are you kidding me?”
The members crowded around the window that was still unbroken.
“This must be made with some type of bullet proo-
Glass shattering broke the silence over the school as the maknae stood next to the broken window holding the broom.
“I loosen it,” Sunggyu pointed out.
“Come on we need to go before that thing or person gets us,” Sungjong warn them.
Sunggyu nodded as he held his phone over the edge of the window to get a better view of below.
“,” Sungjong sighed.
“I thought you said that it was doable,” Sunggyu asked looking at Sungjong with panic.
“I-I thought I mean it only looked like a couple of feet from the ground,” Sungjong swallowed.
“Listen we don’t have time for this we need to get out of here,” Woohyun snapped.
“How do we do that now?” Sunggyu asked pointing to the window. “It looks like a ten foot drop!”
“The broom,” Sungjong said as he lifted it up.
“A broom?” Woohyun asked confused. “We’re not witches!”
“Someone will hold it and we will just slide down the handle and hopefully that will break the fall,” Sungjong added.
“But-“
“We are dead if we stay here so why not try,” Sunggyu added.
Sungjong looked at the members and asked the one question that they all wanted to know. “Who is going to be last?”
The air went stiff as each member thought about the last person who would have to jump from the window.
Woohyun took a deep breath as he looked at the reminding members. “I will,” Woohyun step forward.
“You can’t,” Sunggyu objected.
“Myungsoo isn’t in any mental state to do it,” Woohyun pointed to the youngest. “You and Sungjong are too weak.”
“But-“
“Sungjong we both know that I spend the most time in the gym,” Woohyun added.
Sunggyu shook his head. “I’m the leader I should be the last one out.”
“Are you going to stand here and argue with me or are you going to leave?” Woohyun snapped as he grabbed the broom from Sungjong.
“Myungsoo you go first,” Woohyun said as he held the broom out of the window.
Myungsoo shook his head scared.
“No?” Sunggyu said with wide eyes.
“I’m scared,” Myungsoo cried. “I don’t think I can.”
“You can do it,” Sungjong added grabbing ahold of Myungsoo’s hand.
“I don’t think I can,” Myungsoo admitted.
“We don’t have time for this,” Woohyun whispered.
“Sungjong and I will go first then Myungsoo you have to come,” Sunggyu told him. “Calm down everything will be okay.”
Myungsoo nodded.
“Let’s go,” Woohyun ordered the members.
“Go first,” Sunggyu told Sungjong who nodded.
“It will be okay Myungsoo,” Sungjong told him.
Then he climbed on the window cell quickly as he bit the corner of his lip.
“You will be okay,” Woohyun reassured him.
“If I die I’m going to kill you,” Sungjong said simply as he moved his legs off the ledge of the window.
“Woohyun I’m going to stab you in the face with a pen and no one will miss you.” Sungjong threaten him as he hanged from the ledge.
“Just hurry up,” Woohyun snapped.
Then Sungjong grabbed the ahold of the broom making Woohyun groan as he steady himself with the extra weight.
Within seconds there was soft thud and Sungjong let out a scream. “I’m okay.”
“You’re next Sunggyu,” Woohyun told Sunggyu.
“I’ll leave my phone here,” Sunggyu told Woohyun as he placed it on the bookcase next to the window.
“If you drop me my Umma will kill you,” Sunggyu told Woohyun as he climbed over the ledge. Before Sunggyu let go of the ledge he stared up at Woohyun. “Make sure he gets down too.”
Sunggyu looked at Myungsoo who was rocking back and forth on his feet as he bit his lip.
“I will...now go before I throw you down,” Woohyun said between gritted teeth.
Sunggyu gave one last look at the two members then descended to the ground.
“Okay Myungsoo its y-“
Woohyun paused as he looked at the empty spot that once contained the member.
“Myungsoo,” he gasped full of fear. He pulled the broom out of the window and grabbed ahold of the phone. He moved the flashlight around the room looking for the member but the room was empty.
“He was right here,” Woohyun told himself.
“MYUNGSOO!”
No no no.
This cannot be happening.
Not another one gone.
Then suddenly Woohyun felt something hard and cold smack him directly in the chest. He went flying backwards crashing into the window cell. As he began to fall backwards he caught a glimpse of the creature in front of him. It had silky black horns like a ram and dirty knotted grey fur that looked as if it was rotting off its body.  The slits for its eyes were dark black like a never ending hole. On its cheeks what first looked like scraps were actually bright red holes in which you could see it’s blacken jagged teeth. It let out a loud scream that sounded like finger nails on a chalkboard as it stuck out its black and purple tong.
As if to get a taste of him before his death.
So Woohyun did the first thing anyone would do.
He screamed with all his might than he felt himself falling backwards out of the window.
 

__________________________

 

“Are you sure this is where you left them?”  Officer Minwoo asked as he handed me a cup of hot coffee. “You know I’m really sorry about before…”
“It’s all right I would have thought I was a thief too,” Hyowan told him as he placed the coffee on the table.
“Here I brought some chips,” Junhee said with an apologetic smile as he placed down the bag of chips.  “If we really knew that you were a famous groups manager we would have treated you a lot better.”
Minwoo shoved Junhee playfully. “What Junhee is trying to say is we are sorry we overreacted.”
“It’s fine as long as my members are safe,” Hyowan told him
“We have some of our best officers out looking for them,” Minwoo informed him.
Hyowan nodded.
After the call with Jung Yeop he had sorted through the misunderstandings within minutes. Of course it helped that Jung Yeop had some of the top lawyers in South Korea on speed dial.
The door open revealing a dishevel looking Jung Yeop. He was wearing two different pairs of sneakers and was still wearing his pajamas.
“Are they back yet?” Jung Yeop asked the two police officers who were standing there with wide eyes.
“This is Jung Yeop our CEO,” Hyowan introduced Jung Yeop to the two police officers.
“The CEO!?”Minwoo shouted as Junhee bowed.
“Did you find them yet,” Jung Yeop asked looking at the two police officers.
They paused as if they were too scared to answer him. Than Minwoo cleared his voice as he slowly shook his head no.
“Then go look for them!” Jung Yeop yelled.
The two policemen didn’t need another warning as they both ran for the door.
“I’m sorry sir,” Hyowan sputtered out as he stood up from his seat.
“Sit,” Jung Yeop told him as he took a seat across from Hyowan.
“Sir,” Hyowan sat down staring at the CEO. “I didn’t think this would-“
“Hyowan,” Jung Yeop held his hand up stopping the manager.
“It’s not your fault,” Jung Yeop told him as he sat down next to him.
“What? What do you mean?” Hyowan gaped at him.
Jung Yeop rubbed the side of his forehead. “Driving down here I was pissed at you after all it’s your job to watch them. It’s your job to protect them from silly teenage girls and to transport them safely to their schedules. Then I thought if I was in your situation what would I do? The car breaking down in the woods, no cell service, and also the pressure of getting to schedules on time. I would have done the same thing as you,” Jung Yeop admitted.
“Wait what?” Hyowan head snapped up.
“I know that you care about the boys as much as I do. There is no doubt in my mind that you weren't trying to harm them in anyway. So let’s just get our boys back to Seoul and forget all about this godforsaken village!”
“So sir you…aren’t mad at me?” Hyowan pointed out.
“No I’m not Hyowan,” Jung Yeop told him. “I just want to know where my boys are a-“
The door open revealing Minwoo and Junhee. Their faces were pale as they stood there shaking from the news they had to deliver.
“Did you find them?” Jung Yeop asked quickly as they both stood from their seats.
“Are you sure you left them where you told us?” Minwoo asked Hyowan.
“Yes,” Hyowan asked without a second to pause. “I told them to stay there and I would be back.”
“We found the van,” Junhee admitted.
“Great are they here?” Jung Yeop asked trying to look over the police officers shoulders to get a view of the boys.
“Dongwoo has probably tried to eat them by now,” Hyowan laughed. “Or Sunggyu drove them in to madness with all his nagging.”
“They’re not here,” Minwoo told them which caused Hyowan’s face to drop.
“What?” Jung Yeop asked.
“The car was empty,” Junhee told them.
“The car…”Hyowan sat down as his feet was no longer able to support himself.
“The car is empty,” Junhee told them again. “I’m sorry.”
“Where are they,” Jung Yeop snapped at the officers who just kept bowing their heads while saying sorry.
“Where is INFINITE!?"

Hi guys,
I’m so tired right now. Yawn. I went to go see the new goosebumps movie with my niece yesterday. It brought up a lot of childhood nightmares I had after reading those books. But anyways Halloween is coming up soon. So I hope you guys are enjoying this short story. The next chapter will be the end of the story. I’m not sure when I will post it but hopefully it will be soon.
Thank you for reading!
-Morgan