I Miss You

Secret Love

It's been two weeks since I last saw Kyungsoo and already a week since I last heard his voice. The time difference made everything difficult because they kept moving from one country to another. He was only able to send me some text messages and voicemails but I haven't really talked properly with him for the past week. It's really dragging on me. Good thing I have Mira and Sungjae (and sometimes all of BTOB) has been dropping by at the cafe more often. Reminiscing the past with the help of Hyunsik somehow eases my worries, too. But there was one more presence that has been bugging me for the past days. 

"A latte and danish, please, Miss Park."

He sat down comfortably by the countertop as he kept smiling dorkily while watching me prepare his order. Whenever he arrives, he would order the same thing, sit at the same exact spot, and watch me. It bothers me a lot. Aside from my hiccups and rumbling stomach, his whole being just isn't good for me and my heart. I'm not all that irritated but I don't like the queazy feeling I get whenever he's around. I never once engaged in any form of conversation with him. I try to ignore him most of the time so his stay will be as short as possible. But when Mira is there, they communicate like they've been best friends in their past life.

One fateful day, his 'dongsaeng twin' caught him having a great conversation with Mira.

"Hyung?" He asked curiously as he sat beside him. Inguk-sshi flashed his dorky smile at the surprised dongsaeng. I stealthily walked to the kitchen so as not to be involved in a crazy conversation. I was planning to stay there until they both leave. I took a chair and sat near the kitchen door, eavesdropping on them.

"Where's noona?" Sungjae asked probably to Mira.

"She was just here. Anyway, she isn't the reason why you two keep coming here, right?" Mira sounded like she was teasing the two. I should know, I hear her voice everyday even in my dreams. There was a few-minutes silence.

The confident and enthusiastic dongsaeng broke the silence first. It's always refreshing to hear his voice; how innocent and brave his words are. He doesn't hold anything back and and is very honest with whatever he says.

"I keep missing noona. If I don't see her, I feel uneasy in more ways than one. Probably because I see my older sister in her. And we share the same interests so there's never a dull moment whenever I'm with her." The younger boy explained. I was, in a way, touched by his words. I don't have a family, so him thinking of me as his real sister really made me feel all fluffy inside. I was grateful to have someone I can treat as a sibling. 

I was about to walk away from where I was seated when I heard Inguk-sshi talking so softly. I haven't heard his voice sounding so serious like that before. I was frozen in my place. 

"As for me, I don't really know. But after meeting her that day, I was curious." There was a hint of smile in his tone. "I found myself constatntly thinking of her. I think I, kind of, missed her." The older guy said. But readily defended himself. "But, of course, you can't tell her that."

"Ohhhhh." Mira exclaimed not hiding her amusement at her tone. "I see, you fell for her. I can't blame you. She is very adorable." She kept teasing. 

"N-no, no, i-i-it's not like that." The old guy clumsily opposed which made the two with him snicker.

I, who was hiding, untimely got the hiccups again. It was probably loud enough that they could hear me outside. 

"That sounded like Je-in." Mira guessed accurately. I can hear her footsteps nearing the kitchen door. I quickly ran out the backdoor nearly out of my wits.

"Why do I have to run and hide?" I whispered to myself. I probably look pathetic right now. But I can't possibly let them know that I heard everything they said. I will keep those I heard in my memory and behave like I know nothing. The last thing I would want to happen is a ruined relationship.

I don't know what happened after that. I had to walk around and go through the cafe entrance to avoid any suspicions. I stayed outside for almost an hour, making sure they would have left already by the time I came back. It would be really awkward facing them now after hearing all those things they said.

I tiptoed to the door and just as I was about to grab the knob, the door suddenly opened. I lost my balance as my hand grabbed nothing but air causing me to fall forward. I closed my eyes bracing myself for a possible impact against the floor, but to my surprise, something (or someone) caught me just in time.

"Are you alright?"

The voice made me jump away but was stopped by an arm that seemed to support me from falling backwards. We were stuck in each other's gaze as if time had gone still for a moment. If I were to describe in words, it was simply magical. I don't exactly know how to describe how I felt at that moment but those eyes that were currently fixed in mine sent the butterflies in my stomach free again. None of us wanted to ruin that moment.

"Are you two filming right now? Because I only see these things in dramas."

The realization that there were other people around us made us reluctantly pull away from each other. I could see a mischievous look on Mira's face. She is definitely enjoying this. I glared at her as she whimpered behind Sungjae. 

"Noona! Where were you? I was worried you got lost."

Inguk-sshi and Mira chuckled at their dongsaengs crazy imagination.

"Wh-what am I, a kid? Getting lost at the place where I grew up. Tsk." I definitely sounded pissed. I wasn't going to answer like that but the lingering feeling of irritation from Mira caused me to end up with that kind of talk. Or was I just getting sensitive from being disturbed at such a wonderful time? Either way, I can't take back what I just said. 

"Then, where were you, noona? If you weren't lost, were you hiding?" His face didn't seem like an innocent boy now. There was something in his words. His words definitely have some weight. I was cornered. The atmosphere started to feel different making my hiccups turn up again.

"I...uh...*hiccup*...I...was..." Obviously, I had nothing to say.

"Ah! You went to find a comfort room didn't you? Your stomach has been rumbling again." Inguk-sshi exclaimed. 

Did he cover for me just now? I shouldn't let his effort go to waste. I have to follow up nice and clean. 

"Embarrassing, but yes. I lost my key to the lounge and couldn't possibly bother Mira when you guys were having such a great time. So, I went out."

I lied. I just lied. 

Sungjae didn't look convinced. He found a flaw in my excuse. 

"But, noona, when I arrived you were already gone, right? Or you left when you saw me coming?" He really is draining me tonight. I started to sweat trying to think of another excuse when I was startled by the sound of my phone ringing.

The moment I read who it was from, I forgot about everything. I forgot about Sungjae, Inguk-sshi, Mira and everything that happened. Right now, the person on the other line is the only one that matters to me. Without an excuse, I turned and walked away from the three of them.

"It's Kyungsoo. Just by the look on her face, I know." I heard Mira whisper to them as I walked away. She tapped them both on the shoulder and added before she left the two, "You guys should just give up."

Mira went back in the cafe and I walked towards end of the front porch.

"Je-in. How are you?"

I finally heard the voice that I've been yearning for for the past weeks. 

"Yah! Why are you only calling me now? Do you even know how much I miss you already?" I said with a sudden burst of tears.

Honestly, I don't even know why I'm crying. I miss Kyungsoo but not really something I should be crying about. Its like there is something weighing on me. I have no way of knowing what but something is really bothering me. All of those thoughts and the sound of Kyungsoo just, kind of, mixed together resulting to tears. It made my head and heart lighter at some point. 

"Are you crying? I'm really sorry. I should have called you sooner. I'm really, really sorry." His voice sounded so worried and that is enough for me. The way he talked made me realize he's actually been thinking of me as much as I've been thinking of him. I smiled. 

"Silly guy. Why are you apologizing? It isn't your fault." I said as I wiped my tears away and replaced them with soft laughter. 

"No matter who's at fault, I'm still sorry for not considering how you felt. We'll be flying back soon. I'll make it up to you tomorrow. I'll do anything." He was serious. I missed his disgruntled self. He'd always been so calm and collected that's why these rare uncomposed moments are to be taken advantage of.

"You said anything." I snickered. "Okay, I'll have something ready for you by tomorrow. You have to be prepared." I teased to lighten up our conversation. 

"Well, if it's you, I'm always prepared to do anything." He said those words firmly and with so much weight that I couldn't help but smile up to my ears. Every word he says, he always means it. That's the kind of person he is. And that's what I like the most about him. Always firm and never swayed. My manly but adorable Kyungsoo.  "I'll see you tomorrow, then. And..." He paused, breathed, and continued, "...I really miss you, too."

"Okay. I'll be waiting. Take care."

Even if he already hang up, I can't bring myself to put my phone down. I looked up at the starry night sky and whispered to myself, "Wherever you may be, I will always cling to the assurance that we'll always be under the same sky, looking at the same stars."