'Best' Friends

Secret Love

(Spring of 2012)

"Hello?"

"Oh. Je-in?"

Five in the morning and I get this call from a certain someone. I was still half-sleep as I stared at my phone to make sure I'm talking to the right person I have in mind.

"Oh?" I reluctantly answered as I yawned and scratched my head at the realization that I was disturbed from my precious sleep. I don't get up until after 7. I hated it when I have to wake up for nothing. I was a little ticked off. The person on the other line probably knows that fact, too.

"I'll be quick. Don't hang up. You remember tonight, right?"

He spoke in a rushed but somewhat pleading tone. I remained silent trying to dig through my still asleep brain. I was having a hard time recalling what he was talking about. He started to get impatient.

"You can go back to sleep if you tell me you didn't forget."

He teased knowing I'll do the extra effort to remember just to be able to return to my land of dreams. I thought hard and remembered something about a party at 7 tonight. With this vague recall, I started yawning again.

"Party at 7." I sleepily replied. I rested my head on my pillow and put my blanket back on getting ready to fall asleep one more time as soon as he hangs up.

"At The Westin Chosun. Dress appropriately. I'll pick you up at 6, okay?"

I was already dozing of and barely understood everything he just said. And, of course, he got a hunch on that as well.

"Never mind, I'll just text you all the details. Good night, again. I'm hanging up. Bye."

The only word that registered to was 'bye'. And at that sound, I dropped my phone on the floor and instantly entered the land of dreams.

By the time I wake up, around 8 or so, I had to rush to the cafe without even washing my face. Good sleep, Je-in, good sleep. I wasn't even able to say goodbye to Mira who was too busy with her bathroom concert. I open my cafe, normally, at 7. I have regular morning customers who drop by before going to work. I really screwed up this morning. If not because of that morning call, I would have heard my alarm crying to wake me up. I checked my phone and saw the message with the details to the party. Good thing because I can't recall anything from that call. All I remember was that I was really, really pissed off.

I called Mira and told her everything. She doesn't have work today so she'll be helping me at the cafe the whole day. She arrived with a lot of stuff. She was holding a big box or case on one hand and a hanged clothing on the other.

"What are those?" I asked as she stood in front of me with all those luggage.

She tapped her foot and answered, "For you?"

I looked at the stuff then at her with a very confused expression. I didn't tell her to bring anything, though. Or did I? I can't remember. She rolled her eyes and smiled at me.

"For the party. I know you didn't prepare anything. Just tell him to pick you up here."

Sometimes, I wonder if she was my mother in our past life. I need not tell her anything because she already knows. Monday is a really busy day at the cafe. The regulars who were not able to buy their coffee this morning all swarmed during their morning break time. I was grateful because they didn't switch to a different place. Time went by so fast and when I looked at my watch it was already 3. Mira signaled for me to start getting ready. Good thing I have a personal lounge at the 2nd floor of the cafe. Whenever it gets really busy, we can just lodge at the cafe overnight. I got ready, Mira left the cafe to the other staff for a while so she can do my hair and make-up. I never liked formal gatherings. I don't just do this for anyone and I don't do it without a price.

Quarter to 6 and we're done. He could be here in a few minutes he always arrives before the meeting time. Such a punctual boy. Mira looked at me from every angle to check that everything is fine. And as for the final touch; perfume. I don't normally put them on and whenever I do put some on, I use men's perfume. But this time Mira insisted that I smell like flower, like a girl. Ugh.

We were startled at a knock from the door. It was from a staff worker. She said that someone is waiting for us downstairs. I checked the time: 5:55. He's here.

"You need to go now. Let's go."

I went down and it was really awkward to have all eyes on me.

"I should have just done this at home." I whispered at Mira as I hid behind her.

"What are you saying? They adore you!" She teased.

Most of the people at the cafe knows me and they probably won't let this go. I will be hearing about this for next few days. As we went down, I could see him waiting by the cafe entrance. He really looks good in a suit. I smiled as I walked up to him. He held out his hand and reached for it.  I could hear people whispering, "Isn't that boy from that new group?" "The owner knows him." "They look good together." "I think they call him Diyo or DO. Something like that." "The owner looks pretty tonight."

Hearing those whispers made me blush and lower my head. Kyungsoo looked his arm with mine and lifted my face up.

"Don't hide your face. There's nothing to be ashamed of."

I looked him in the eye and smiled.

"Shall we get going then?"

It felt like a scene in those fairy tales where everything was covered in flowers and butterflies. It's funny how this guy, who is a year younger than me, make me feel younger than anyone whenever I'm with him. It has always been like that. When I see him with other people, I see the young man that he is. But when he is with me, he transforms into a responsible and mature man. I don't dislike it but it really fascinates me. I suddenly remembered the first time we met.

----------------------------------------------

I was sitting behind a big tree at school, crying. I always get bullied for being an orphan. Mira is an orphan, too, but she was tough so she never had any bully problems. But me, I was a timid girl back then. I never said anything back to them. I endured it all until I can't take it anymore. I broke into tears as I hid from everyone. I curled up, hiding my face between my legs and just kept on crying. After a while, I felt a hand lightly pat me on the back.

"I don't know how you toughen up to them, Mira, but I just can't do it."

The hand kept on patting my back.

"You don't have to stand up to them. You're gentle, that't the kind of person you are. You probably just need another person to take your side."

As I listened to those words, I realized that the person beside me was not Mira. But, I don't  know anyone except for Mira and those from the orphanage. I lifted my tear-wet face a d turned to the person. I recognized his face but I sure am not associated with him. We just stared at each other for a while until he introduced himself.

"Kyungsoo. That's my name. Can I be your friend?"

I later learned that he had always watched me from a distance and backed me up whenever someone dared to bully me. He was a grade lower than me but he was like a big brother. From then on, he never really left my side (along with Mira) and helped me become a better person along the way.

These two people have sailed with me through the seas of life for almost 20 years. We've been through life's storms together and there is probably nothing that can break up apart.

-------------------------------------

(First few chapters will probably be a little boring since I need to build up the characters. The first chapters will be a little slow because I need to focus on the characters and their background story before moving on to the present. I hope you'll bear with me until the story progresses. Thank you for your support. Comments are very much appreciated. :* XOXO)