Little Brother

Little Brother

Jinki ran to the window and watched his parents pull out of the driveway to go who knows where. They left him alone with his uncle, Jongjin, and he wants to know why because they always take him everywhere they go. He's no more than three years old but he already knows there's something wrong. His parents left him in charge of the house until his uncle arrived and all he did was stand in the middle of the hall hugging his chicken plushie. He moved away from the window and felt alone, so alone that he started to cry, which worried his uncle.

     "Hey, don't cry Jinki! Your parents will come back soon!." Jongjin panicked.

    "W-why di-id they g-go and not s-say bye?" Jinki stared at his uncle with teary eyes.

    "They had some really urgent busy to attend to, like it couldn't be stopped. You understand right?" Jongjin tried to reason with the toddler.

Jinki sniffled while nodding, making Jongjin wiped his tiny tears and smile.

    "Go play with your toys and I'll call you when they get back."

    "Ok." Jinki pouted.

Many hours passed and Jinki was about to fall asleep when he heard his uncle call for him. He quickly ran out of the room, tripping a couple of times, while there was a big smile on his face.

    "Umma!" Jinki yelled when he entered the living room.

Three people turned around to shush him and he felt confused. He then noticed something on the table and instantly knew that wasn't food. He moved closer only to be blocked by his father, which confused him even more. The adults seemed to be cooing at something and it felt wrong to him because he's the only person they should be cooing at. Something moved in the container his mother was holding steady and it scared him.

    "What is it? Is it a puppy?!" Jinki jumped up to get a glimpse at what his parents and uncle seemed to be paying more attention to.

His father laughed and picked him up, still not letting him see what was in the container. Jongwoon hugged Jinki tightly and smiled.

     "Jinki, remember when I told you were weren't going to be alone anymore."

Jinki nodded and was wondering where his father was going with this. Jongwoon put him on the couch, ruffling his hair.

    "Your mother and I brought home a little brother for you." Jongwoon beamed.

The world seemed to stop moving as Jinki stared at his father with a confused expression. Lots of things ran through his mind when he heard the word little brother. He imagined not being able to sleep because his little brother would be crying, he imagined his little brother getting more presents then him, and his little brother getting all of his parents attention!

    "No." Jinki said blankly.

    "No?" It's Jongwoon's turn to be confused.

    "No, take him back." Jinki looked dead serious.

Jongwoon was mentally trying to think of a way to convince the child that having a brother wasn't a bad idea but it looked like his oldest son wasn't budging. Instead he diffused the situation by laughing awkwardly making Jinki raise an eyebrow.

    "You'll like him." Jongwoon beamed. 

    "How do you know?" Jinki tried to look upset.

    "You like everyone, Onew." Jongwoon was hoping that maybe if his son held his little brother, he would accept him.

Jinki pouted and crossed his arms, while his mother walked over to him with a bundle of blankets. Ryeowook smiled warmly at Jinki, making him smile back at his mother.

    "Jinki, meet your little brother. His name is Jongdae." Ryeowook handed Jongdae to Jinki.

Jinki looked upset while looking down at his brother, Ryeowook immediately noticed they were clashing and Jongdae couldn't even talk to defend himself. Jongwoon looked concerned because Jinki was the type of person to smile at everyone he meets. Once Jongdae grabbed one of Jinki's fingers with his entire hand, Jinki started to warm up to him. He then decided that he liked his lite brother and was willing to share his parents. Jongdae suddenly started to cry in his brother's arms and it startled his older brother, making him cry as well. Jongjin laughed at the chain reaction while the parents were completely shocked.

    "Why did we have another baby when Jinki is still a baby?" Jongwoon scoffed.

    "Well now we have two babies." Ryeowook beamed.