FINALE: Always and Forever

Good As Gold

 

When I woke up in my hospital room, the doctor told me that I had been out for almost two days. Even though I thankfully wasn’t dead, I didn't know whether to feel relieved or guilty that I'm alive either. My thoughts were interrupted though when I saw Jun walk in the room, dressed in hospital clothes like me.

 

“Jun,” I said in a relieved tone, opening my arms and inviting him into my embrace.

He didn't hesitate to smile and hug me against his warm chest. “Hey, savior…” I heard him smile as he held me tighter in his arms.

 

“Hi, soldier,” he responded.

 

We stayed in each other’s embrace for another while until Jun finally decided to pull away, but stayed close enough to where I can still feel his body heat. As he sat down on the chair beside my bed, we did nothing but only stared into each other’s eyes quietly. I guess we were both still shocked that we survived such a tragic incident. I couldn’t hide my smile when he reached a hand forward to pat my head trailing down to brush a piece of my hair away from my face.

 

“For a second, I thought I was gonna lose you,” Jun said placing his hand on mine.

 

I smiled at his words. “Well, you know I’m a fighter,” I replied to him.

 

Jun chuckled. “You are a crazy one.”

 

I laughed at him and playfully nudged his arm with a punch before I sighed softly, my tone turning serious. I looked at him with loving eyes.

 

“Thanks for…” I stopped a bit as I didn’t know how to put it.

 

“You know, saving my life, taking that bullet… Still, piercing right through you into me was brave. Even if I got hit, you gave me blood. You still saved me…” I smiled at him as I slightly rubbed my belly, wishing this very moment would last forever. At this moment, I wanted to tell Jun about the little bundle of joy, but I refrained myself from doing so. I wanted to wait just a little bit longer.

 

“I may have took a bullet for you,” Jun said with a small smile before it slowly ceased, “but I didn’t save your life, Bitnae… Wonwoo did…”

At that, I suddenly remembered that Jun and I weren’t the only ones who suffered.

 

“Where’s Wonwoo and Chan?” I sat up more straight with concern written all over my face.

 

Jun shook his head. “They are safe. Both Wonwoo and Chan.”

 

He held my hand firmly in his as his eyes stared into mine intensely and deeply. This time, I saw something in him that didn’t look right. It almost seemed like he was hesitant.

 

“Bitnae, I love you… You’re the person I want to flee and grow old with, have as many children together as we can…”

 

His voice trailed more sadly. “But today, I saw the look in your eyes… The way you looked at Wonwoo, you would never look at me like that…” He dropped his head, his eyes on our interlocked fingers. “You still love him… and if being with him makes you happy,” he looked back up at me with his sad brown orbs, “I will be happy with you. I will stand by your side always and forever… I’ll be here when you need me. I don’t want to be in pain anymore…”

 

I didn’t know how to react to his explanation. I felt like I died inside. In a way, Jun was right. It was Jun who took the bullet for me, but it was Wonwoo who actually saved my life. I love Jun as he makes me who I am today, but I will love Wonwoo always and forever no matter what. I couldn’t bring myself to decide. I just couldn’t…

 

I gulped as I felt my eyes b with tears.. At this second, I figured it was best to tell him what my body was like right now. “Jun, I-” I held onto my stomach tighter in desperation.

 

“Don’t, Bitnae…” Jun cut me off standing up from his seat and letting go of my hand. “I’m sorry…” He took a deep sigh before he looked away. I could hear the cry that was stuck in his throat. “Wonwoo is outside waiting for you… I’ll tell him to come in and talk to you.”

 

“Jun, please…” I didn’t know how else to get his attention as he went ahead walking out the door. I let my tears slip watching my one true love leave me alone in the room. I was so confused as to what just happened. At that moment, I felt everything pouring down on me.

 

“Babo! Be careful next time. That pan literally barbequed your finger and thumb.” I pulled his arm and walked towards the coffee table where the first aid kit still laid.

“Well in this case we just got to put the burner medicine on. Can’t put a bandaid on because it will cause more heat and your fingers will hurt even more.”

 

“Can you teach me how to crack an egg with one hand?” I asked him.

 

“Yeah, here hold the egg like this.” He put the egg in my hand and put his hand on top of mine to show me how to hold it. Of course I always succeed on trying something new.

 

“Bitna!” Jun yelled my name and shook me to wake up.

I awoke from that nightmare gasping for air as I opened my eyes. The second I saw Jun, I harshly grabbed his arm making him pull me into his embrace without question. I panted so hard thinking Jun was Wonwoo in my dreams.

He didn’t let go of me. “It’s okay… I’m right here…”

I held onto him so tight not wanting to let him go. “Don’t leave me Jun…”

“I won’t ever leave you, Bitnae…”

 

My memories with Jun were interrupted when I heard the door opened. I hitched a breath in surprise, kind of hoping to see Jun come back again, but to my dismay - it was Wonwoo who walked in. At this point, I didn’t know what to say to him. I just watched him come back to sit in the chair that Jun sat in before he left. Wonwoo and I locked eyes for a moment, not saying thing. We were just staring at each other, probably thinking of how relieved we were to see that we were both alive.

 

I broke eye contact when I felt a warmth on my hand and looked to see that Wonwoo was holding it in his.

 

Oh, how much I missed his touch. For a second, I was so happy to have him hold my hand again. I’ve dreamed for this for so long after his death years ago, but I don’t know how to feel the same.

“Bitnae,” Wonwoo said making me look up at him with my tear-stained face. “I love you…”

 

Hearing those three words made me happy and angry at the same time that I had to pull my hand away from him.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me this after you faked your death…” I said no louder than a whisper. “You had years to come find me, but you didn’t… You left me in the dark. You left me thinking that I was alone. You left me… You made me kill you with my own bare hands…”

 

Wonwoo lifted my chin up with his fingers to make me look at him. “I was going to find you,” he said in a promising tone, “but I had found Hyoyeon unconscious somewhere along the way, and I had to take care of her until she was stable to be on her own. I couldn’t leave her and Chan alone…”

 

“And then, you forgot about me and started a family.” I didn’t want to sound angry at him for starting a family, but being that he left me in the dark for so long, he couldn’t really blame me.

 

“I started a family only because you were in the hands of Jun,” Wonwoo claimed shaking his head, “someone who I can trust to keep you safe.”

 

“To keep me away from you, that’s right.” I tried to keep my tone of bitterness low.

 

“You made a family with my best friend. Wonwoo… That doesn’t lessen the pain.”

 

Wonwoo bit his lips trying to suppress his tears from slipping. “I’m sorry Bitnae. I just want to be with you and fill in the gaps that were meant for you and me.”

 

I looked up at him as I heaved a small shaking breath. I sniffed and reached out to hold both his hands in mine. “I will always love you, Wonwoo… Always and forever.” I stared into his warm brown eyes sadly. “But our time is gone. And now… I’m ready to start a family with Jun. If you love me, move on and let me live my life with the person I want to be with…”

 

Wonwoo’s ears perked up at the new information that I just accidentally let out.

 

“Bitnae…” He blinked his eyes wide in surprise before he glanced down at my stomach. “Y-you’re…”

 

I sighed softly with a tiny smile placing my hand on my stomach. “Yeah… I am…”

At that, Wonwoo’s expression changed. It turned more sad and upset, but I think he was just more frustrated with himself than with me or anyone. He put on a smile, but I could tell he was forcing it only for me.

 

“I’m happy for you, Bitnae…” He tightened his grasp on my hands in a loving way, caressing my knuckles. “I’m glad you are with child now… If only I was-”

 

“Wonwoo don’t,” I sadly cut him off knowing what he was going to say. “I’m done feeling guilt and pain. I love Jun…” Tears ran down my cheeks as I raised my gaze up at him. I hated how things were going to be left between us. But I didn’t want to feel obligated to keep him in my life only to remind me of the pain that he gave me.

 

Slowly, I sat up straight in bed to face him more although I was struggling a bit. I leaned over to kiss Wonwoo one last time placing my lips upon his chastely.

 

“Goodbye, Wonwoo…” I whispered. I couldn’t look him in the eye, so I just stared down between us. Although I could feel his eyes piercing straight through me. This was the last time I will see the love of my life. He won’t be dead, but he will be gone forever.

 

Wonwoo took a deep breath while tears ran down his cheeks. “I will always love you…”

 

He got up from his seat and slowly walked out the door, making my heart crumble with every step that he took away until he was out of the room. Just then, the doctors came in for a check up, too.

 

“Excuse me Doctor,” I said to the man in the white coat, “Where’s the man who was here before?” I asked for Jun’s present.

 

The doctor tilted his head giving an expression of confusion. “Mr. Jun left two minutes ago,” he told me. “He didn’t say if he was coming back, though.”

 

When the doctor told me Jun had left, I didn’t hesitate to get out of bed and run out the door after him. My wound still hurt, but it was worth the pain to chase after the love of my life.

 

“Ma’am, you need to rest!” Some nurses tried to stop me as I ran past them, but I didn’t care to listen.

 

I ran down the hallway to the elevator. I felt as if I was going to grow older since the elevator was so slow. I ended up losing my patience and took the stairs down all the way to the lobby. As I got out of the staircase to the lobby, I looked from left and right to find Jun. It took a while before I saw him walking towards the exit.

 

I shouted, “Junhui!”

 

The said man stopped walking and paused there just before he could get to the exit. I ran as fast as I could to catch up to him, stopping four feet away from where he stood when I got to him. I couldn’t stop panting for air either, but I couldn’t care less about that at the moment.

 

“Stay…” was all I could speak out to him, almost no louder than a whisper.

 

I saw Jun’s back stiffened. “Go back to Wonwoo,” he commanded me as he still looked forward, not wanting to turn back to me.

 

But despise all his words, I shook my head. “Wonwoo isn’t who I want to be with. You are the one that I want and grow old with together.”  I slowly took a small step towards him, afraid that if I get any closer, he will vanish out the door.

 

“When you washed up on shore, that was the first time I met you. I knew you had to be good. I wanted to know you, but I couldn’t put you in danger as I am danger myself to everyone…”

 

Jun finally turned to me and looked at me with his teary eyes. Surprise was written all over his face.

 

“All along… it was you who saved my life…” He spoke in a confirming tone. He wasn’t asking - probably because he thought it was true, too. “Why didn’t you just stay?”

 

“I couldn’t…” My voice trembled as tears flowed down my face. “I was scared…”

 

I didn’t realize Jun walked towards me and wiped my tears until I felt his touch. “Don’t be,” he assured me. “There’s nothing to fear now.” Jun pulled me to his chest and hugged me. “I love you Bitnae…”

 

“I love you too… ” I cried as I told him I loved him.

 

Closing my eyes, I tightened my embrace with him and braced for his reaction at my next words.

 

“I just hope you love both of us the same…”

 

I felt Jun freeze in my arms for a second before he slowly pulled away from me. I could see his eyes burning on me intensively, but I didn’t have the face to look at him in the eyes.

 

“I mean… I guess I wouldn’t mind you loving another girl besides…” I gathered some courage to raise my head to find his brown orbs on me. “Besides ours…”

 

Jun furrowed his brows for a second before he gulped.

 

“O-ours?” he questioned curiously. He slowly began to connect the dots of my words, then trailed his attention down to my flat stomach.

 

He instantly widened his eyes. “Y-you’re…”

 

I had the urge to look away from him, not wanting to see the disappointment in his expression, but my heart yearned for his reaction as my eyes pooled with fearful tears. Suddenly, all of my worries vanished and was replaced with surprise when I heard the warmest, loudest laugh echo in the lobby feeling strong arms around my waist and picking my up to spin me around, causing me to gasp.

 

“J-Jun, put me down! Oww… You’re hurting me” I exclaimed, still surprised at his reaction, but still in pain. I didn’t look to see, but I could feel many patients and nurses’ eyes on us. “Jun! I mean it! Put me down! You’re hurting me”

 

“I’m sorry, but aren’t you so great at enduring pain, my love.” Jun felt sorry for hurting my wound, but then he was too happy to even feel sorry. Seeing him happy made me also forget my pain from Wonwoo and my wound.

 

I didn’t even get to exhale a breath before I felt warm, loving lips on mine causing my stomach to flutter with butterflies. My heart raced a mile a minute, I could barely tell if I was running or not. All I know was that my thoughts of how this would turn out changed more than I expected.

 

Once we pulled away from each other, our foreheads were touching. I could still feel his minty breath on my lips. I heard him smile happily.

 

“O-ours?” Jun said again, afraid that it would be too good to be true to hear that he was now a father.

 

I looked up at him with my happy glossy eyes and smiled with a nod.

 

“Yours,” I specified, holding his hands that were cupped around my face.

 

“Mine…” Jun smiled happily, kissing my forehead ever so lightly in the process. “God, I love you, Bitnae…”

 

I chuckled happily at his word before I wrapped my arms around his torso again, taking him his warmth and scent.

 

“I love you, Jun…” He didn’t hesitate to hug me back holding me in his embrace.

 

And right there, and then - it felt perfect. In the arms of my true love. My savior…

 

“I say it’s a boy,” Jun said quietly in my ear.

 

I heard him smile and I said. “We’ll see…”