Three

Elements
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] Three [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

The next day, Yoongi walks you to the elemental class after your normal classes end. It's a good thing that he's there, because you're positive you would have bailed if left on your own. But right outside the classroom, you tense up and refuse to budge.

"Yoongi-sunbae, I can't do this."

He turns to look at you with irritation, but his expression softens when he notices how hard your hands are trembling, "_-ah," he says as gently as he can, "What's wrong?"

"I just… I don't think this is right for me. I mean, maybe I don't have ice powers. Maybe it was a cold day or maybe I was just feverish or something."

"_-ah, I know you're nervous and embarrassed, but everything will be alright."

"But, sunbae—"

"_," he says your name, placing a hand on your shoulder and squeezing, "Do you trust me?"

You're taken aback by the unexpected question, "What? Well—"

"_-ah, do you trust me?"

You stare at him, surprised by the intense expression in his dark eyes, "Yes," you answer honestly.

"Good. Now stop worrying. I'll take care of you."

Your eyes widen and you hasten to thank him, but you're so flustered that you trip over your words. Yoongi ignores this and ushers you in through the door.

You walk into the elemental classroom, and at once are bombarded by an explosion of loud sounds and colors.

Water mages run around screaming and hiding, playing an impromptu game of tag while spraying water all over each other. A group of three Earth mage girls gather around a fire mage, giggling as they make flowers blossom out of his hair and clothes while he spins in circles, angrily burning them off. In a corner, a light mage puts on some sort of pyrotechnical show for everyone at his table. Two wind mages race through the classroom, propelled to inhuman speeds by their tailwind.

You shield your eyes against the brightness and stick close to Yoongi's side, overwhelmed by the chaotic classroom. Yoongi weaves through disarray with practiced ease, and leads you to a table in the front of the classroom where a small, mousy woman with huge hair flips through a book.

"Professor Nam?"

She looks up from her book with a wide smile, "Ooh, Yoongi-ah! Hello! And who is your friend here?"

You bow deeply, "Hello, professor. My name is _ and I am a transfer student. It's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you, too, but are you lost, sweetie? This is an elemental mage class."

You flush red and struggle for the words to explain your situation. Yoongi interjects to save you, "She's an ice mage, professor."

"An ice mage?" Professor Nam's eyebrows shoot up so high, they almost disappear into her thick fringe, "Really? No one informed me that there was a new ice mage on campus!"

"Well, that's because we only just found out."

Professor Nam's mouth makes a small "o" as she finally understands the situation, "I see… And how old are you, my dear?"

"Um, I'm going into my sophomore year now, ma'am."

"Oh, my… And I thought Jungkook was a late bloomer… Are you sure that you are showing signs of ice magic, my dear? Sometimes non-elementals with elemental genes will show a bit of magic for a few weeks, but it disappears."

"We're 100% sure," Yoongi answers for you.

Professor Nam raises an eyebrow, "Do you mind showing me a bit, dearie?"

You hold up your hand and concentrate. You can swear you feel a bit of tingling in your fingers, but nothing actually happens. Flustered, you try to make up an excuse, "I don't know, ma'am. Maybe I don't have any powers. Maybe these were just false signs and I'm still a non-elemental."

Yoongi sighs in exasperation and grabs you by the wrist, "_-ah, you can do this."

Shocked, you flinch back, but he has already pulled you close so that your faces are only inches apart. Your mouth opens to protest, but his hand is suddenly on your face, gently brushing a finger a cheekbone. Your entire body freezes up and adrenaline rushes through your system. You gulp and your eyes flit down to his mouth before you can stop yourself, and your lips part in anticipation.

"See what I mean?" Yoongi says, abruptly pushing away from you.

Startled, you stumble back a foot, but his grasp around your wrist holds you upright. Then, you realize that frost is steaming into the air from where his skin meets yours.

Professor Nam looks equally as astonished as you are, "Wow, that's so cool!" She squeals, "Oh my goodness, I can't believe we have another ice mage! I'm so excited! Are you excited? Because I am!" She practically dances to the back table and hands you a stack of books, "Here are the texts we use in this class! I'm so delighted to have you here! Welcome, my dear!"

Overwhelmed, you clutch the books to your chest and refuse to look over at Yoongi. You're fully aware of how he just manipulated you to make you show your powers and judging by the small smirk on his face, he's equally as aware.

"Thank you, professor," you say in a small voice, "How much work do I have to catch up on?"

"Well, we've already gone through the first eight chapters and have our first unit test on Monday… But don't worry about it, dear. I understand your situation and you don't have to take it!"

"What? No, it's ok. I don't need any special treatment. I'll take it," you immediately say, your nerdiness cringing at the idea of skipping any test of any sort.

Professor Nam her head to the side, "Are you sure?" When you nod, she says, "Well, in that case, good luck, honey! Fighting!"

Confused, you hurry to return her fist pump. Yoongi simply rolls his eyes and leads you to the back of the classroom, "Sorry, Professor Nam can get… overexcited sometimes. She's just like that."

"Ah, is she a light mage?"

"Worse; wind mage."

At that moment, you realize that Yoongi's leading you to the empty desks at the very back where other members of the BTS circle that you recognize from the lake are sitting. You tense, but Yoongi's hand on your arm pulls you forward, and you're forced to confront them for the first time since the Jimin incident in the hallway. He gestures to the empty desk next to him and you have no choice but to take it.

A few members of the BTS circle watch the two of you curiously, and whisper amongst themselves. Then, the wind mage bounds out of his seat, disregarding the fact that class is supposed to start any second now, and launches himself at your desk.

"Hi!" He loudly greets, "What's your name?"

You're a bit taken aback by his sudden appearance, but you quickly collect yourself, "_, nice to meet you," you say, bowing deeply.

"My name is Taehyung, and we're the same year! So let's be friends, ok?"

"Um… ok?"

"Are you the new ice mage?" he asks.

"Yes."

"Hmm. If you're an ice mage, why are you so tan?"

You stiffen at that, staring up at him in disbelief. Next to you, Yoongi tenses as well. The handsome water mage sitting in front of you glances over at that moment and his eyes grow huge with shock when he processes the situation. Then, he runs over and grabs Taehyung's arm.

"Oh my god, Taehyung," he hisses in embarrassment, shooting you a sheepish smile, "You can't just ask someone why they're tan!"

The younger boy blinks at that, "Why not?"

Yoongi sighs and rubs his temples, "What about the ice mages from other countries, then? Hmm? What about South American or African ice mages?"

"Oh," the wind mage says, tapping a finger on his chin, "So you're a foreigner?"

"Um… no. I'm Korean."

"Oh, ok. So why are you so tan?"

Seokjin's entire face reddens at that, "Taehyung! You can't just say that!"

"What? Why not?"

"Because… Because you just can't!"

"But—"

"I'm so sorry, _-ah," Seokjin says to you as he slaps a hand over the younger boy's mouth, "We'll be leaving now." And with that, he drags Taehyung away, scolding him the whole time.

"Your friends are… interesting."

"They're idiots," Yoongi corrects you with a sigh.

You smile and begin to say something back, but at that moment, the two juniors of the circle, Namjoon and Hoseok, approach your table as well.

"Hey, I heard you're the new ice mage Yoongi-hyung managed to drag in," Namjoon greets you with the easy confidence that seems to come natural to all lightning mages.

You nod and bow, "Yes, my name is _."

"I'm Namjoon," he says, offering you a hand that you gratefully shake, "And this is Hoseok."

The light mage approaches you with a bow and offers you his hand as well. But as soon as your hand touches his, he flinches back as though stung. Your eyes lock on each other. Then a shiver violently courses down his spine.

You your suddenly dry lips and try to think of something to say, but the bell rings at that moment and everyone returns to their seat. You try to pay attention throughout the lecture, but you can't help thinking about the look of fear that passed over Hoseok's face when he touched your hand…

 

You're desperate to get out of class and don't even wait for Yoongi to catch up before you're rushing out of the room. You push your way out the door and almost run straight into Sooyoung who's standing next to the door.

"Oh, sorry," you say when you almost slam the door into her face, "Wait—what are you doing here, Sooyoung?"

She glances around the hallway, and her eyes lock on Jimin, who exits the classroom with Jungkook, "Oh, my dear elemental mage friend!" She almost yells, suddenly hugging you, "My sweet, dear mage who belongs here and is totally the reason I come here Friday afternoons! How are you?!"

You roll your eyes at her, "You can lower your voice. They're not listening."

She sighs, then glares at you, "Why aren't you best friends with Jimin yet? You've got to set me up!"

"Um, I'm sorry? It's kind of my first day here."

Her brow creases at that, "And why didn't you tell me you're an ice mage?! I mean, I had to hear it from Yoongi-sunbae, even though I'm your best friend!"

"Sorry, Sooyoung," you say with a sigh, "It's just… difficult."

Her face softens at once, "Oh, don't be like that. I understand. It must be very embarrassing for you to develop your powers so late. But hey, you're not the only one."

Your attention peaks at that, "What do you mean?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter