Glow: Take 2 (part 1)

Daydreams

Prompt: You live in a world when your chest glows when you found your soul mate. This one is closer to the comic that was given in the prompt. I had come up with the first idea without even reading the comic. 

Woohyun slumped onto the floor. They had just been practicing their dance for 4 hours. Every free moment they had, even after almost five years, was still dedicated to perfecting their dance moves.  All a part of the 100% sync that they were eternally striving after. But at least today they could take it a little easier, have a little fun. They were preparing for an open concert sponsored by some company or other. And they had mastered the  dance weeks before. Woohyun preferred practices like these than the suffocating, tense ones before a comeback.

However, days like these he hated. He was melancholic. One of those days that no matter what he did, no matter what anyone did, he couldn’t smile. Why? Woohyun’s eyes darted around the room. Dongwoo was taking advantage of their short break and calling his girlfriend. But is girlfriend really the right title? No, she was his soul mate.

Woohyun and the rest lived in a world where whenever one met a soul mate, their chest would glow. A few seconds later, their soul mate’s chest will glow. Their eyes meet. They fall in love. And the rest is pretty self-explanatory: they have a happy ending.

And it wasn’t just Dongwoo. Hoya and Sungjong were on their phones as well, chatting away. Hoya was lucky, he had met his soul mate when he was 5, and they could practically spend their entire lives together. Woohyun had never seen the normally tense Hoya so at ease with someone; it was like he’d remember how to breath every time they talked. Dongwoo, however, was still in the initial phases of his relationship. He met his during their summer concerts. Right as his chest glowed and saw the girl glowing from the back rows, he leapt off the stage and ran to her, taking her into his arms. And it was the first time the body guards had to peel one of the members off of a fan (and not the other way around), reminding him that he still had a concert to finish. Sungjong’s, however, had a unique start. Sometimes there was a delay. After spending three years by his soul mate’s side, both of their chests glowed during graduation, while saying goodbye. When Woohyun asked why that might’ve been, Sungjong just shrugged and answered, “I don’t know. I guess we were just ready for it.”

The other three weren’t on their phones, but that didn’t mean they were in the same situation as Woohyun. Sungyeol’s chest lately had been lighting up, but only for a short moment. It would be a short burst of light, but long enough for Sungyeol to go bat- crazy and run up and down the street asking at the top of his lungs if anyone had been glowing. Each time, it was a near miss, but he was getting closer. His chest was starting to glow for longer spurts now. He was more excited than peeved. His soul mate was just around the corner.

And then there was Myungsoo, nice, sweet, and incredibly spacey Myungsoo. All of the members joked that he probably glowed before, but failed to notice it, too busy blankly staring off into the distance. Even now, that’s what the visual was doing. He sat on the floor, just staring. Occasionally he would laugh at something or make a remark, but then return to the staring. However, that was usual for him, especially after concentrating for so long like at dance practices. And so it would be unsurprising if Myungsoo had missed his soul mate a couple of times, but the thing about soul mates is that they always come back. So he was okay.

Then Woohyun’s eyes drifted over to their leader, Sunggyu. He was busy draining his bottle of water and fanning the shirt that was sticking to his sweaty body. He said that he’d met his soul mate too, 3 years ago when he went home for the holidays. She worked at the convenience store, and he was buying a snack. It wasn’t the most romantic of settings, nor was what happened afterwards. They exchanged information and went their separate ways. “What’s the point?” Sunggyu argued one night when Woohyun in a fit of jealous, confronted him about not being closer to her. “We have the rest of our lives to be together. We just need a few years to grow into our own people. I don’t want to be like Hoya and Shiwon, like one unit. Besides, she’s my soul mate. She understands!”

Woohyun frowned and hit his head on the wall behind him. He was (practically) the only single one in the band, and he felt like the only one in the world who hadn’t met his love yet. Too make matters worse, Saeron, his costar 10 years younger than him, just glowed this afternoon while they were on set, shining brightly for the delivery boy with boxes of chicken in his hands. Every single f***ing person was in love except for him (and Myungsoo, but he didn’t really count).

But just because he hadn’t found his soul mate yet, didn’t mean Woohyun had never been in love before. His eyes scanned carefully the man in front of him. Even like this, even with sweat pouring out of his body in streams, even with that odd hairstyle picked out for their concept, Woohyun could feel his heart beating faster. His chest was growing warm. White hot, with its heat radiating slowly down his limbs. Wait, this normally doesn’t…Woohyun looked down.

He was glowing.

Woohyun, not knowing what to do, panicked. He grabbed his sweatshirt, clutching it to his chest, attempting to smother out the quickly brightening light. His head was on a swivel as he desperately searched the room, looking for his partner, his love, his destiny. The rookies had just filtered in, preparing to watch their sunbaes and learn from their example. Could one of those girls? They were cute, talented (Woohyun was sure), but dull. Not a single one shined. His eyes even flickered over to their manager. He’d always treated Woohyun well. But he too was normal. Finally, with hope, Woohyun looked directly across from him, and it was like Sunggyu knew something was up. The leader stared at him and cocked his eyebrow, setting the water bottle down. But just as the bottle hit the ground, it was reflecting. Woohyun gasped and slowly dragged his eyes upwards. Life moved in slow motion. But then he saw it.

Sunggyu was glowing too.

“You f***ing liar,” Woohyun said with a wide grin, pulling apart his face.

“Aw ! You’ve got to be kidding!” Sunggyu realized too late, and turned around, squatting on the floor, hiding his chest. Woohyun chuckled and stood up. “Go away! Nothing happened! Go!”

“What do you mean ‘nothing’? Hyung, you’re glowing!” Woohyun was now walking over to him.

“No, I’m not. Yah! Don’t touch me!” Sunggyu yelled and jumped up, darting to the other side of the room and seeking refuge behind an utterly confused Dongwoo. Woohyun chased after him and continued to chase after him when Sunggyu realized Dongwoo wasn’t a good enough barrier and hid behind Hoya. Hoya, who was really entertained and recounting everything to Shiwon, just stepped aside and allowed Woohyun to finally catch up with Sunggyu.

“Why are you running, hyung?” Woohyun teased, wrapping his arms around the squirming leader, pinning the elder’s arms to his sides. “You should be falling instead.”

“Don’t say it. Just don’t say it.”

“Falling in love with me,” Woohyun finished with a thick voice, planting a kiss on Sunggyu’s cheek.

Sunggyu just looked up at the ceiling and shook his head. “Why? What did I do to deserve this? Why?”

From across the room, Myungsoo snapped out of his reverie and nudged Sungyeol in the rib, holding out his hand. Sungyeol groaned and pulled out his wallet, dispensing bill after bill into Myungsoo’s hand. “Aish! I can’t believe it. You were right,” he spat. He then shook his head. “I wonder why it took so long.”

Myungsoo shrugged as he counted the bills, making sure his mischievous friend wasn’t cheating him. “I don’t know. It’s probably just the right time,” he mumbled in a distracted voice. But then he suddenly stopped. Something had caught his eye. “Oh! I’m glowing.”

(Don’t worry guys. Sunggyu eventually came around and here’s the proof: http://puella-bona.tumblr.com/post/98389560891/artemania126-woogyuland-140925-hoseo)