Happy Place (Jaejoong)

The Blind Pianist

If you are not happy with yourself, make a change.

 

I laugh at a joke from one of the old men I have recently befriended in a coffee shop. He keeps telling his story about how he nearly won a million dollars while I close my eyes and smile. Nothing makes me happier than making meaningful connections with people that do not look at me and think I am helpless. I am always talked down to like I do not know what I am doing or cannot take care of myself. Then after someone hears me play the piano, they second guess themselves. It is a wonderful feeling having people believe in me and trust that I can do it without them. My parents had to learn that the hard way, but they eventually got used to it.

 

Suddenly, the old men get quiet when the television station changes. The cashier is explaining how there is this up-and-coming pianist that is blind. "Can you believe that?" one of the men say. "I can hardly play with my eyes open!" The men laugh together for a few more seconds until they realize it is me. I figure they see a clip of me playing on the television and turn to face me. It is quiet for the next minute until I officially introduce myself to them. "My name is Kim Jaejoong. I've been attending Gwangju University for the past few years and recently performed in the concert hall a few days ago. It's a pleasure to meet all of you." I smile and take another sip of my coffee.

 

The men continue asking me questions and I answer with a polite smile and sincere answers. Soon, though, they drop it and go back to their original conversations, leaving me to myself. I decided it was time to leave and left the money I had gathered before I left the hotel room. My friend is waiting at the back table, but I figure he wants a few more minutes to flirt with the lady friend I hear him talking with, so I sit on the bench outside of the establishment. I close my eyes and lean my head back, singing one of Jung Yunho's new ballads. He is my favorite pop artist. He has such a strong tone in his voice and he sounds like someone that has finally found their happy place in the world. He is who I aspire to be like.

 

As I continue to sing, I suddenly notice that someone is singing with me, causing me to fall short. They continue, singing it perfectly. I think I recognize the voice, but I decide that my mind must be playing tricks on me. When he finishes, I feel the bench shift a little. I guess he sat down.

 

"Hi. My name is Jung Yunho." He grabs my hand and shakes it. I must be shaking like a dog outside in a blizzard. "What's yours?"