New Home

Raised Foreign

Image result for kim sae ron 2010

Miyah had prepared herself as much as she could for all the possibilities that would result from the unusual circumstance. She hadn't slacked off in doing her part to make sure she was doing her leg-work to make the situation as smooth as possible. She had done research on daycares within her neighborhood, needed to find a tutor who could teach them proper Korean, books on how to do Asian hair, and read blogs of advice from parents who had raised children of different than their own. but her mind was beginning to fill with doubt. What will people think of me raising two Korean kids? How can I teach them a culture I don't even know. Maybe they'd be better off with their own kind?

...

As the officer walked in with both children, the situation suddenly became real. Kan-Sun walked in her younger brother's hand.

"This is your new guardian." The detective said as he gestured towards me. Both children looked at me, and as soon as they recognized me there eyes became wide.

"Aunt Miyah?" "Aunt Miyah!"

"Hi, guys. How have you been." The last time I saw you guys we were celebrating your third birthday and Chae-Sun was just learning to walk. If it weren't for Skype, I wouldn't haver even recognized you. Look how big you've gotten."

"I'm five now, and Chae-Sun is three."

"Do you guys understand why I am here?"

"You're going to be our new mommy right?" Chae-Sun mumbled.

"Of course not!" Kan-Sun interjected

Miyah looked nervously from Kan-Sun to Chae-sun. "Chae-Sun I'm just your new guardian, meaning that I'll be responsible for taking care of you from now on. So you'll be living with me in America. Okay?"

"What if we don't want to go with you?" Kan-Sun questioned.

"Well, then you and Chae-Sun will remain within the foster system until someone else chooses to adopt you instead...But if it's okay with you I would be honored if you agreed to stay with me."

"What are the chances of us being adopted." Kan- Sun asked the Detective.

"Well since separately Chae-Sun had a relatively good chance considering he's a boy and still young. You, however, have a far less chance since daughters are less desirable. Together your chances are even smaller because most families like to take on one child at a time so..."

"I won't drag you with me to America if you don't want to..." Miyah interjected.

"I want to go with you" Chae-Sun exclaimed as he walked towards Miyah and held onto her leg tightly, leaving his sisters side.

"How about you Kan-Sun? I think Chae-Sun would like for you to come as well." Kan-Sun didn't say anything, but she eventually made her way to stand with her brother and held his hand.

Detective Jang cleared his throat. "Well, then I guess that settles it. Did you sign the papers already?"

"Yes."

"Well, then that settles it. Here are your passports and documents stating that they are within your custody." Miyah took the papers and placed them in her purse.

She knelt down to both children's eye level and put a hand on both of their shoulders. "Are you ready to go?" 

"Wait are we leaving now?" Kan-Sun said. 

"Yes..." Miyah responded. "But I thought we could go to your home and get some things you might want to bring with you." As Miyah waited for Kan-Sun response, she was only greeted by silence. 

...

Miyah, Chae-Sun, and Kan-Sun walked into Miyah's home and their new home.

"Well, this is it. I know it's not the biggest, but this is only temporary." Miyah lead them down a hall. " I know you guys probably have separate rooms, but I'm working it. I have to clean out another space but in the mean time I hope this is okay. You guys will be sharing this room for a while."

"Where is the bathroom?"

"It's at the end of the hall. The kitchen and living room we passed on your way inside. My room is at the end of the hallway if you need me. There's some other stuff I have to tell you guy's but I'll say that tomorrow since your probably tired, but if you need anything, I'll be down the hall."

"Goodnight Aunt Miyah." Chae-Sun said

"Goodnight guys." She responded as she began to close the door behind her.