Getting Settled

Raised Foreign

Image result for geum jan di little brother

Chae-Sun, Kan-Sun, are either of you awake.” Miyah stood beside their bunked beds as she opened the curtains to let in some light. “Wake up sleepy head, we have a busy day ahead of us.”

“Noona, I’m still tired,” Chae-Sun stated as he rubbed his eyes.

“I know you are both tired, but you’ll adjust to the time difference in no time, I promise.” Miyah pulled the covers off both children and when that continued not to work she unleashed a fury of tickles.

“We’re awake! We’re awake!”

Miyah stood as she placed her hands on her hips. “Perfect. Take a bath, get dressed, and when you’re all done were heading out alright.” Miyah spoke over her shoulder. “No more than three minutes or else I’ coming in after you.” As she left the two to get ready, she sat down and began to complete her first task as a guardian for her two new found responsibilities.

‘How to take care of little humans?’, was written on the blank paper before her. “First thing’s first, buy clothes…” Miyah started to jot down potential stores, but she couldn’t remember the last time she had been to a children’s store. “Toy’s R’ Us sells clothes right?” Miyah quickly scribbled down the thought before moving on to her next task.

“Unni!” Miyah heard a voice call from down the hall as she still tried to get her to-do list together.

“Yeah!”

“How do you work this stuff?” Miyah suddenly stood from her chair and followed the young voice. “What’s wrong?” She was greeted by the sight of Kae-Sun standing in the middle of the bathtub.

“I need help.”

Miyah leaned over them and the shower water. “Ekk! Unni it’s cold! It’s too cold!” Kae-Sun tried to avoid the freezing that rained from the showerhead.

“You have to give it time to warm up a bit,” Miyah stated as she helped Kae-Sun out of the tub. “The more you pull this out, the stronger the water will hit you. When you turn it to the left it becomes hotter, and when you turn it to the left it gets colder, arasso?” Kae-Sun nodded her head. “Now that it has been a few seconds put your hand under the water and test it to see if it will be comfortable for you.” Kae-Sun stuck her hand underneath the running water and turned the handle slightly. “Is it good now?” Kae-Sun nodded again. “Alright then go ahead and get in.”

“But I can’t swim?”

“That’s okay you’re just going to be standing up.”

“But unnie the water is running out.”

“Yeah, that’s how a shower works. If it didn’t, then you’d be taking a bath.”

“Can I have bubbles while I shower?”

Miyah looked around the bathroom and attempted to improvise. “Here’s some soap, it doesn’t make as many bubbles as a bubble bath, but it suds up nicely and smells like cinnamon.”

“I don’t like cinnamon; I want to feel like SpongeBob,” Kae-Sun stated plainly.

“There’s SpongeBob soap? I’m sorry I don’t’ have any of that but when we go out today we can get some, but in the meantime you have to use this.” Miyah replied.

“No! I don’t like it! I want SpongeBob!” Kae-Sun yelled suddenly as she ran out of the bathroom.

“Kae-Sun! You need to bathe!” Miyah shouted as she followed her to the room she shared with her brother. “Kae-Sun you can’t just be running around the house with no clothes on, with your…bits hanging out.”

“I can do what I want you are not my mother!”

Miyah closed her eyes and decided to handle Kae-Sun later. “Chae-Sun come and get cleaned first then.” Chae-Sun looked between Miyah and his sister questionably.

“Chae-Sun I’m your sister you don’t have to listen to her.” Miyah noted Kae-Sun’s move and decided to she could play this game too. She knelt to Kae-Sun’s ear and whispered to him. Chae-Sun suddenly began to smile as followed Miyah to the bathroom leaving his sister baffled.

“Okay Chae-Sun, you can either take a bath, or take a shower?”

“Bath.”

“Alrighty then.” Miyah started the bath water and put the bar of soap by the drain to create make-shift bubbles. Once the tub was filling decently, she reached for Chae-Sun to put him into the tub only for him to step back. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s too hot!”

“You didn’t even get in yet, how can you tell?”

“There’s steam coming from the water.” Miyah looked at the water and put her finger in to test it out. “Oh, Shi-kamaru Naru…” Miyah saved herself from cursing as she held her finger in . “You were right it was too hot.” Miyah started the water again but with cold water to balance out the sauna she had created. “While that does that, I guess I should tell you now that you will be in Daycare starting on Monday, and Kae-Sun will begin school, are you excited?”

“You mean with other kids?”

Yeah.”

“I don’t want to go. I want to stay here.”

“Sorry but I have classes, and you two can’t stay here by yourself.”

“Can we stay with your husband?”

Miyah started to laugh to herself “I don’t have a husband silly. I’m too young to be married.”

“But omma and oppa are married,” Chae-Sun said with the cutest and most confused face.

“That is true, but omma was four years older than me,” Miyah stated over her shoulder as she tested the water again. She turned to place into the water and noticed his eyes watering. “What’s wrong? I promise it is not hot this time you can check.”

“You used past tense,” Chae-Sun stated. “Well, that is what you use when someone has…become an angel.” Chae-Sun looked up at Miyah. With streaks of tears on his cheeks. Miyah knew if she looked at him long enough she would start to cry too, so she placed her hand in the water and sprinkled water on his face. “Nope. No crying because you will make me cry and I look weird when I cry.” Miyah started to make a series of funny faces in hopes it would change the mood. At first she had noticed that Chae-Sun was no longer crying but laughing. “Okay Mister time to get cleaned up.”