Trial Day

Raised Foreign

Image result for jada pinkett 90

*a/n Red = Korean

You used to call me on my cell phone
Late night when you need my love
Call me on my cell phone
Late night when you need my love
And I know when that hotline bling
That can only mean one thing
I know when that hotline bling
That can only mean one thing

Miyah was sitting in the front row at the best concert ever. Chris Brown opened for Drake and Miyah could swear Drake stared her straight in the eye at least ten times.

“As many of you all now this is the point in the concert when I invite a lucky lady on stage to be serenaded by the Canadian myself.” Drake was walking up and down the stage kneeling to scope out the crowd with a bouquet of roses in hand. Miyah could feel the blood pumping through her veins as Drake slowly made his way closer and closer to her sections. Before she knew it, he was walking down the aisle straight at her. With each step, Miyah felt her heartbeat stop. Drake was suddenly face-to-face with miyah and was extending the bouquet right at her. “Everybody I will be serenading this lovely lad---”

{7:31 AM}
Miyah felt herself being shaken to abriptuly for her comfort. “What the hell?” She yelled as she opened her eyes to see two kids beside her bed. “Crap!” Miyah looked at her clock beside that read 7:30. “Why didn’t my alarm go off?”

“It did but I fugred you need all the beuty sleep you can get so we hit snooze,” Kan-sun spoke calmly. It might ahv ebeen early, but miyah could here shade at any moment, but decided that it was too early for this.

I have to drop you guys off by 8:00 to make my 8:30 class! Hurry up and get changed.

But we didn’t bathe.” Kan-Sun responded

“I know. I know.” Miyah responded as she ushered them back to their room. “You’ll just take double the showers tonight.

But--” 

Kan-sun, you are older, so I suspect that you can dress, and help Chae-sun as well.”

Why do I have to do it. Isn’t that what adults are for?

Kan-sun. I don’t have time just get dressed in the next 15 minutes., please!

{7:51 AM}

“Chae-Sun, Kan-Sun come on let's go!” Miyah yelled as she zipped up her backpack and checked her hair in the mirror. In the reflection, Miyah saw the value of helping children dress. “What happened?”

Chae-Sun wore his green pajama pants and a striped polo shirt with blue crocs. Kan-Sun was dressed in a pink tutu (that she didn’t remember buying), a yellow turtleneck, blue jeans, and orange rain boots. “What’s wrong? ” Kan-Sun inquired.

You guys look like thrown away children!” Miyah knelt down in front of Chae-Sun. “Why is there toothpaste on your forehead?” She turned to Kan-Sun. “Did you try to do your hair?” She questioned as the pulled out randomly placed bows. “Remind me to never let you dress again.”

You’re the grown-up!” Kan-Sun spoke.

C’mon we have to go.”

What about our lunches?

“Miyah dropped her head, and went to the kitchen.” She tore every cabinet in search of something they could eat. She grabbed some bread, and some peanut butter but couldn’t find any strawberry jelly so substituted it for strawberry Twizzlers. Chae-Sun and Kan-Sun looked at each other and gulped nervously as they watched Miyah make their lunch. “What else?

Milk!” Chae-Sun responded excitedly.

Miyah checked the fridge but couldn’t find any Milk. “I have something even better. “Muscle Milk” It will help make you big and strong.

What else?” Kan-Sun asked Chae-Sun

Something sweet? Like Red Bean Buns” Chae-Sun responded.

How about Raisin flavored Fiber one bars? Raisins are sweet.” Miyah put the items in each of their bags and put those in their backpacks.

We need breakfast!” Kan-Sun shouted.

You can’t just hold it until lunch?

“It’s hunger, not pee! We need food.”

Miyah suddenly turned around grabbed the peanut butter jar and two spoons.“Here now let's go you can share it in the car.

{8:06}
Hurry up Kan-sun and maybe you can sneak in with the late kids on the bus that just pulled in.” Kan-Sun hoped out of the car and followed in with the rest of the kids.

She forgot her bookbag!” Chae-Sun exclaimed

Miyah grabbed the backpack from the back and rolled down the manual windows as fast as she could ”Kan-Sun here!” With one good throw, she tossed kan-Sun backpack out the window and before she could tell whether she had even caught or not her and Chae-Sun screeched away.

{8:17}
“Hi this is Choi Chae-Sun and today is his first day,” Miyah spoke exhaustedly to the lady across the counter. The woman pulled out a walkie-talkie and talked to someone on the other end of the line. “I’m kind of in a rush can I just leave him with you or sign something…”

“Hello Mrs. Dean, I’m going to be one of the aid’s helping in Chae-Sun’s clas.”

Miyah extended her hand “Actually is Ms. And it's Nice to meet you. I filled out all the paperwork already and its in his backpack so yeah I've got to go. I’ll be back around 6:00.”

“Alright, we'll talk more this evening then.”

“Sure thing.” Rian was just outside of the door when something came to mind. “Oh two things he doesn’t speak English very well so just know he’s not ignoring you, and do you give them lunch?”

“Yeah.”

Miyah put her hand to her heart. “Oh thank goodness. Can you do me a favor and just throw that brown bag away?”

The teacher nodded and as she heard the door close behind her she heard the most hair-raising cry she had ever heard. She turned around and could see a red-faced Chae-sun struggling to get out of the hands the teacher. “Noooooona!” Miyah turned around in hopes that he would stop on his own, but she just couldn’t stand him crying like that. She walked back to the door and picked Chae-Sun up and set him on the counter.

Chae-Sun why are you crying like this?

I don’t want you to leave.

Chae-Sun you knew you were coming. This is why we went shopping for clothes and shoes remember?” Chae-Sun continued to cling to Miyah for dear life, as he continued to sniffle. “Chae-Sun I have to go to school and learn and you can’t come with me, so you have to stay.

Why?

You would be bored, and you can’t talk, and there aren’t any cartoons, or painting or kids your age. All of which you have here.

No. You’re going to leave me and never come back.” Miyah pulled away from Chae-Sun and looked him in his eyes. “Chae-Sun I am coming back for you in just a couple hours. You’ll have so much fun here you won’t want to leave when I do get back.” Miyah held out her pinky and calmy stated. “Choi Chae-Sun I pinky promise that I will come back for you.” 

{8:50 AM}

Rian slid into her seat next to her best friend and stealthy as she could. 

“Nice of you to join us, Miss Dean.”

Miyah smiled insincerely as she finally got settled in her seat. 

“What happened to you this morning girl? You came into class like you had seen all the troubles of the world.” Janelle was walking to he next class with her best friend, Janelle.

“I had a long morning. I woke up at 7:30 and it seemed like I kept running into walls with every step I took. I practically had to drop Kan-Sun off at the school, and Chae-Sun decided to have an emotional moment when I dropped him off at Daycare and…” Miyah exhaled deeply. “I don’t know. Is it always going to be like this?”

“I felt like that when I had my son but you; ll get used to it. The most important thing is to be as organized as possible. Even the smallest amount helps. Besides it’s only temporary right until they find them a permanent home?”

“That’s what I thought, but I don’t believe that this will be a short-term thing.”

Janelle patted her friend's shoulder. “Well, it’s time for you to trade in your Gin and Juice for Apple Juice now.” Both girls laughed.

“I don’t even drink.” Miyah responded.

“Oh, you’ll start soon enough.” Janelle hinted as she elbowed Miyah in the ribs.

{6:15 PM}

Miyah pulled up to the front of the school where Kan-Sun was waiting on the front steps with someone who looked like a teacher. 

“Kan-Sun are you ready to go?” Kan-sun looked up and quickly stood to her feet as did the teacher.

“Are you her legal guardian?” Said the woman in a pin-stripped suit.

“Yes.” Miyah held out her hand for a welcome handshake “And you are?”

“I’m Ms. Jones the principle. I wanted to talk to you about Kan-sun.”

“Actually Ms. Jones can we talk about this later I have to pick up her brother and I have some studying to do.” Miyah ushered Kan-Sun back towards the car as she yelled over her shoulder. “My number is on record so call me with whatever concerns you have, but I have to go.” 

{6:45}

Miyah was in the midst of signing out Chae-Sun when two women appeared, one of which was Chae-Sun’s teacher. “Are you here for Chae-Sun?” Asked the other woman.

“Yes.”

“Would you mind coming with me please.” 

“Is something wrong?”

“Not at all, but we do need to talk.” 

“Miss Dean I am the director and as a courtesy to our new parent of the program, w would like to bring  few things to your attention.”

“I know what you’re going to say. He and his sister are both new to the country and don’t speak English very well, so I think adapting to the new language is hard for them. Also, Korea is a very homogenous society, and I think he might be trying to adjust to seeing people who are so different in appearance compared to what he’s accustomed to. About this morning I know he was a bit much, but I’ll talk to him okay and…” 

The director waved her hand to quiet Miyah from her ramblings. “ New mother?”

Miayh exhaled deeply. “Is it that obvious?” 

“Child please, we see your type all the time. I’ll take a guess that this is also your first morning in your usual routine?” Miyah nodded. “I smelled it from a mile away.” The director reached her hand across the table and patted Miyah’s hand. “The only thing I wanted to say is that you send Chae-Sun with more markers. This morning it seemed to be the only thing to calm him down after you had left.”

“I’m sorry about that again I don’t know why he acted that way.”

“that’s nothing new either, give him about a week, and he’ll be doing just fine.” Both women stood from the table, and Miyah went to see Chae-Sun. Before she entered, she saw him coloring vigorously on a piece of paper. If she didn’t know any better, she’s positive that the crayon was smoking.

Chae-Sun was so engaged in his picture that he didn't even notice when Miyah had come into the room. There were about six other kids still there and two other teachers whom Miyah had yet to meet. “Are you picking up?” said one that was wiping down the tables.

“Yeah.”

The lady stood up and put her hands on her hips. “You want to take’em all.” Then she burst into a smile. “I’m just messing. Which one are you getting?”

“The one coloring at the table over there.” Miyah gestured.

“Marcus come on its time to go!” the boy looked up and stared at Myah and quickly kept on coloring. “Don’t make me tell you twice!”

“ I meant Chae-Sun.”

“The Asian kid is yours?” It was until this point that she acknowledge the Asian girl standing next to her.

“Yup according to Georgia State Law.” 

Choi Chae-Sun!” Kan-Sun yelled. At the sound of a familiar voice, Chae-Sun ran from his chair to Miyah and gave her a bug hug.

Did you enjoy your first day?” Miyah inquired as she picked Chae-Sun up. 

Yeah.” Chae-sun quickly responded

Miyah turned back towards the woman.“Thank you so much.” I promise he won’t look such a mess tomorrow.”

“No worries.” She looked at Chae-Sun and waved goodbye. “Bye Jason.” 

“Bye.” Chae-Sun exclaimed over Miyah’s shoulder as he waved goodbye.