Basketball

The New Student
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His car was nice, sleek, black, and cool. I got in the passenger's seat, admiring the car. "Hey, I'm in love with your car."

"Sorry, it's already taken by me." He laughed and revved the engine. "Are you sure about this?" He looked at me, his eyes full of concern. 

"Of course. It's just a basketball game." 

He shrugged. "Okay, lets go." He pulled out of the parking lot and I prayed that he would be a safe driver.

"So will you be warming up until six?" I asked, wanting to get my mind off of the cars driving by.

"No. We'll eat first and then warm up until 5:45-ish and we have around ten minutes to do whatever we want. Then the game will start."

"So what's the game like?"

"You've never seen basketball right?"

I shook my head. "No."

"So basically you have the two teams and from each team there are five players standing on the court. Hold on." He paused to veer left after looking at both sides of the road. I smiled, happy to learn that he was a safe driver. "Okay. So five people from each team. In the beginning, the referee tosses the ball up into the air and one player from each team tries to swat it to their other team members. Then the game starts." His eyes were constantly on the road and he used his right hand to describe what he was saying. "So the hoop where you're trying to score is on the opposite side of where you first started. You know what a basketball court looks like, right?"

"Yes."

"Okay. So the person who usually dribbles the ball is the guard. Those people are kind of short. Then the centers are the normally the tallest players and they try to block the ball if it's shot at their hoop and can also catch re-bounds. A re-bound is when a ball bounces off of the hoop or the back board instead of entering the net and scoring. Then your forwards are the ones who try to shoot and remain open so that the other players can pass them the ball. I'm not going into as much detail because I think it'll confuse you, but that's the general idea. Do you understand it so far?"

"Yes." I was recording him with my phone, not wanting to miss a single detail. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter