First Day of School

Five Guys and an Exchange Student

Where the heck is the Mandarin room? I took a look at my schedule again and pulled out the map I’d picked up at the main building. Universityof Seoul is so different compared to USC. My nose was buried in the map as I struggled to find what direction was where. I was concentrating so hard I didn’t even notice I was walking into someone until it was too late.

“Watch where you’re going, won’t you?” I looked up and saw an older male student crossing his arms at me, his friend at his side. The friend was pretty cute, the kind of guy whose smile could kill, and I couldn’t help noticing the nicely worked-out muscles of the guy who had spoken to me. But I didn’t want to get off to a bad start on my first day abroad.

“I’m very sorry, sunbae.” I bowed my head quickly, to show my sincerity. “I’m a little lost right now, could you help me find – ”

“Go look for it yourself, I don’t have time to waste on first-years. Come on, Kibum, let’s go,” the guy grumbled. His friend, whose name was Key I guess, seemed shocked as he looked back. “Hyung, wasn’t that a little – ” I heard him say as they moved out of earshot. Maybe Key is nice, but his hyung definitely got up on the wrong side of the bed. First-year? I’m a second-year so shut your face. I saw another student, maybe a third-year, coming my way. Determined not to run into anyone again, I figured I would go ask him for directions.

"Excuse me, sunbae,” I said. “Could you tell me where the Mandarin class is located?”

“Sure.” He smiled an adorable, slightly uneven smile, but a friendly one. “I’m heading over to the English class and they’re both in the foreign language building. Want me to walk with you there?” Well at least some people are nice here.

“Thanks, that’d be great,” I answered gratefully. As we headed off, I took a closer look at him. His hair was disheveled just enough to be delightfully y. Stop it, Mihyun, I thought, trying to push those thoughts out of my head.

“So are you a transfer student or a new freshman or what?” he asked.

“I’m a second-year studying abroad from the States,” I explained.

He seemed fascinated. “That’s really cool. What’s your major?”

“Music technology, since I hope to go into audio engineering someday,” I continued.

“Nice.” He smiled again, filling me with a fuzzy, pleasant feeling. “I’m third-year Choi Minho.”

“Jang Mihyun,” I smiled back. We walked on for a few moments. It’s so quiet and I have no idea what to say. He must think I’m so awkward. “Say,” Minho finally broke the silence, “if you’re from the States, do you want to help me with my English outside of class?”

Whoa whoa whoa. Did he just ask me to be his study partner? “Sure,” I answered. “When do you want to meet?”

“I’m not sure yet,” he said, “but I’ll figure it out soon. Hey can I see your phone?” I pulled it out and gave it to him. He played with it for a minute or so and then gave it back to me. New contact saved – Choi Minho, a message flashed on the screen. “Text me when you get out of class,” he said.

“Okay,” I replied. Smart, Minho, very smart. Before I’d even realized it, we had arrived at the foreign language building. Minho held the door as I walked in. What a gentleman. We traipsed up the stairs. “The Mandarin room’s the third door on the left in that hallway,” he pointed. “Don’t forget to text me, okay? See you later.”

“No problem,” I waved to Minho as I walked into the hallway. One, two, three. This is it. I pushed open the door. All of the seats were full already, except for one, so I sat down there quickly. My desk partner, a very cute yet sort of nerdy-looking guy, turned to me. I couldn’t help but notice how nicely toned his arms were – and his body for that matter. The more I looked at him, the more I realized how attractive this guy actually was. Even his glasses, which would have seemed dorky on any other, were really cute on him. Happy daydreams filled my mind...

“Hi, I’m Lee Jinki, but you can call me Onew.” Crap, I’ve been staring at him this whole time he’s been looking at me. I must seem like such a creeper checking out this total stranger. He smiled, and I thought I would pass out. How was it possible that a guy could be so adorable and hot at the same time? “You weren’t in the Mandarin Level 2 class last year. Are you new here?”

“I’m Jang Mihyun,” I said, trying not to hyperventilate. Too much eye candy can be fatal. “I’m a second-year student studying abroad from the States.”

“Wow, have you studied Mandarin there? It’s really unusual for a student from the States studying here in Korea to place ahead in Mandarin.”

“Actually, I’m Chinese, so Mandarin was my first language. But my grammar and written Chinese needs some work,” I explained.

“No way.” Onew’s expression was playful yet admiring. “Your Korean is very good, especially your pronunciation.”

“Couldn’t fool me.” I heard a snort behind me. Annoyed at whoever it was for ruining my happy moment with Onew, I turned around and saw that jerk of a kid with his friend Kibum. “Oh no, you again? I have to sit in this class with you the whole year?” I groaned. Kibum looked at me apologetically.

“Jonghyun, shut it will you?” Onew shot a glance at the guy, irritated. Before Jonghyun could say anything back, the teacher walked in, and class began.

--------------

yay don't forget to comment! :D