~ VI ~

Correspondance des Arts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Do we really have to do this?’ I asked with resignation. Luckily, I’ve already managed to recover from my recent cold, because Taemin clearly decided to give me another chance for runny nose.

‘We’ve decided on winter as the keynote of our project,’ he snapped back, deeply breathing the cold air in. Temperature was low again, making me feel as hopeless, as Taemin happy. The earth became covered with a whiteness of snow once again. ‘But if we want it to work out, we both have to feel the same atmosphere, so that each one of us will be able to express it in his own way. Me – with the help of violin, you – with your paintbrush.’

‘We’ve decided?! You mean you’ve decided!’ I withstood, not able to recall anyone asking my opinion.

‘Exactly,’ Taemin agreed, nodding his head with satisfaction.

‘But it’s our project, not your project!’ I was annoyed with this injustice.

‘Ugh, okay, have it your way!’ he exclaimed. ‘Our repertoire may be different each time, depending on the mood of the artist.’

‘And that means you?’

Taemin decided not to answer this question, probably considering the topic as finished. I sighed, backing down.

‘Imbibe this atmosphere or you’ll regret not listening to me later, when you’ll be standing in front of your easel helplessly, bringing shame not only on yourself, but also on me.’

‘But why winter?’ I whined, deluding myself that I’ll manage to change his mind.

‘I’ve already told you that I like this season,’ he answered, suddenly deep in thoughts.

I watched him attentively. I had to admit, with my objective eye, that he looked extremely pretty today. His dark silhouette stood out in the omnipresent whiteness of snow. Long eyelashes shadowed his rosy from the frost cheeks. I observed a lonely snowflake that fell somewhere from trees above us and landed on Taemin’s head. I felt urge to dust it off, but it faded in his hair. Another snowflake landed softly on the boy’s cheek, right away melting and changing into a drop of water. I automatically raised my hand to brush off this fake tear.

‘I don’t understand how you can call winter colorless,’ spoke Taemin, waking me up from this weird trans that happened to me. I backed off my raised hand. ‘Hyung told me that winter means a lot of red and green. Not to even mention the colors of a warm fireplace and steaming mug of tea… How can you call all those things colorless?’

His words were undoubtedly fascinating, but for some reasons I was completely unable to concentrate, too busy with watching single strands of his hair, softly drifted by the wind.

‘Taemin…?

‘Hm?’

‘Can I draw you?’ I asked, before I managed to reconsider my words, obviously too enchanted with his looks. The boy frowned.

‘You haven’t been even listening to me, have you?’ He was irritated.

‘Can I?’ I didn’t give up.

‘What’s wrong with you today, you idiot?’ he talked back, aggressively.

‘Not only today. Generally,’ I rectified and he raised his eyebrows. ‘I’ve already told you that you’re extremely pre…’

‘Don’t finish this ridiculous sentence!’ he cut in.

‘Wait, you don’t understand…’

‘You’re a crazy ert. What else should be understood?’

‘Taemin, I’m an artist,’ I exclaimed, shutting him up for a moment. ‘And as an artist I’m searching for a beauty in the world that surrounds me. Wherefore, there is nothing weird in me trying to immortalize this beauty since I already found it, right?’ I was surprised with such ambitious argument showing up in my head. Improvisation became my life saver. For a brief moment Taemin looked as if he didn’t know what to say, which was rather rare in his case. Eventually he straightened his back, proudly.

‘I don’t think I’m willing to give you my permission,’ he said with brittle tone of voice.

‘But why?’ I begged.

‘Even if you draw me, I won’t be able to check your artwork…’ His last word sounded a bit sarcastic and I felt hurt. ‘Maybe you’ll mar me, not giving me a chance to stop you.’

‘You don’t trust me, do you?’ I asked a bit angry.

‘You’re right,’ said Taemin laconically. ‘Trusting someone means pure foolishness.’

‘You don’t trust Jonghyun neither?’ I asked, surprising my own self. I wasn’t even aware of my curiosity.

‘Are you jealous?’ Taemin’s voice was painted with maliciousness making me feel awkward with his question. ‘You’d better do something useful rather than fool around!’

I glanced at him critically, having a hard time with understanding how can he be so rigid and harsh all the time. A sneaky idea came to my mind.

‘Come on, I can’t believe we came here only to stare at the snow!’ I shouted out unexpectedly, grasping his hand and pulling him with me, straight into a nearest snow drift.

‘What are you doing, madman?!’ he squealed, clearly not expecting me to behave in such an irrational way.

‘I want you to have some fun,’ I replied, giggling.

I threw myself on the ground, pulling Taemin with me, but not forgetting to care for his safety. The boy, panicked, grabbed my jacket and fell straight on me. We both lied like this for a moment, breathing loudly. The beating of my heart was worryingly fast and I guessed that Taemin had a similar problem. Feeling this boy, lying on my body, made me have crazy ideas, suddenly showing up in my mind. My hands wanted to lock him in my embrace, my eyes wanted to look at his, still snuggled into my chest, face. Those weird reactions were most probably a part of my overprotective nature. I just wanted to ensure myself that my thoughtless behavior didn’t hurt my friend. Especially because he was still silent, even though we fell some time ago. I glanced at him, alarmed.

‘Taemin, are you oka…’

‘TAKE THAT, YOU ERT!’ he shouted unexpectedly and after a second I felt a huge snowball on my face. As for a blind boy, Taemin’s accuracy was quite surprising. ‘It was you who started this madness, so here is your lesson,’ he exclaimed, proud of himself. I was so shocked with his sudden attack that I didn’t even know how to react. I guess my muteness was alarming to Taemin, because he grasped my jacket and moved his body a bit higher on mine. ‘Minho?’ I heard a quiet voice right next to my ear.

I was watching the face of the boy lying on me. His expression was inscrutable when his hand travelled through my body, searching for my face. He started to brush the melting snow off, awkwardly. The hot touch of his fingers was somehow electrifying. Probably because of the difference of temperatures… However, I was so surprised with his care, that I was afraid to make a slightest movement, not to ruin this unusual moment. But it didn’t stop my body from doing weird things. I placed my hand on Taemin’s cold one, pressing it against my wet cheek. The boy blushed at this awkward gesture that even I did not understand. He frowned his eyebrows and opened his mouth, as if he was about to nag me, but I didn’t give him a chance to do so. I grasped his wrists and switched our positions. Now Taemin was the one lying on the snow.

‘WHAT ARE YOU DOING? IT’S A , SOMEONE HELP ME!’ my friend shouted, forcing me to let go of his wrists.

‘? I just wanted you to do a snow angel…’ I said, pouty, making Taemin feel ashamed. However, after a few seconds of awkward silence his face formed in a dogged expression.

‘Snow angel? Here you are! Happy now?!’ he exclaimed, moving his arms and legs up and down, looking as if he was just an elementary school student. I giggled, actually really satisfied with the outcome of my attempts. Not only wasn’t he mad at me, but also joined in my playing in the snow. I felt proud of myself.

‘Very happy. You’re a cute angel,’ I replied, helping him to stand up. Taemin snorted with annoyance, but abstained from commenting my compliment.

‘You’d better never do something like this in the future or you’ll lose your job as my private masochist,’ he said, making me burst out into laughter at his ridiculous and yet somehow serious statement.

I needed a few moments to notice that Taemin is shaking in his expensive, but certainly not good for playing in snow coat. Not having a better idea, I embraced him, trying to share my warmth.

‘You’re turning into a little, shaking icicle,’ I mumbled, feeling guilty.

‘Enough of those endearments, ert,’ I heard a muffled voice and Taemin stepped back. I laughed under my breath and grabbed his hand, leading us back home.

~*~

‘Oh, you’re here, my lovely turtledoves?’ said Key, as soon as me and Taemin entered the living room. He was sitting on the sofa with crosse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter