~ VIII ~

Correspondance des Arts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Attention: each "~♪♪♪~" sign is a link to the song that the character is performing.

 

I clumsily packed my artwork to a folder and subconsciously headed to the hall. I started to slowly tie my shoes, trying hard not to think about anything. Yes, not thinking seemed to be way healthier to my aching head, than thinking. However, on the edges of consciousness there still appeared those fragments of views and words, that tried to destroy my calmness. If not for the fact that I didn’t sleep a wink for the whole night, I would probably consider happenings of yesterday as one of these weird and incredibly realistic dreams that I tended to have. When Taemin left my flat yesterday, I realized I still had my homework to paint. That’s why I spent the rest of the night with easel and brushes. That was an official version, at least. Because I knew well that even without a work to do, I wouldn’t be able to sleep after what happened.

‘Well done, Choi,’ an amused voice spoke. I raised my head. Key was leaning on the door-frame of my bedroom, playful sparkles shining in his cat-like eyes. I did my best to ignore the sigh of Jonghyun, that apparently wandered through my room without his shirt on. I glanced at Key questioningly, not sure what he was talking about. He couldn’t know, right? Or could he?

My friend must have read my mind, because he rolled his eyes.

‘Don’t think that I’m not aware of what you two did in the corridor last night!’ He claimed. ‘The whole tenement house is already gossiping about it…’ I froze at his statement. I still didn’t quite understand what had happened and I certainly didn’t want anyone else to witness it. I glanced at Key cautiously, wondering if he’s not joking to scare me. And then I noticed his unusual looks. Eyes sparkling weirdly, hair ruffled and clothes creased. He seemed so different than his usual self.

‘And what you two did in there?’ I attacked, not quite sure if I really want to know the answer.

‘Oh, you shamelessly celebrated your birthday together, so we decided to do it in our own way,’ he talked back, not ashamed at all. I decided not to ask for more details. Key frowned. ‘What are you doing, anyway? He’ll be waiting for you…’

‘Since when did you know about this?’ I asked, surprising my own self.

‘Since the beginning,’ he said confidently. ‘I tried to help you somehow, but you’re a bloody idiot and even my genius plans could not work a miracle. Taemin is so unlucky, but he did a great job anyway. To confess your love with a help of violin, this kid has a good sense! He impressed me.’

I gulped loudly, hearing the word love. Even though I understood Taemin’s message well, this word still sounded strangely and unfamiliar in my ears.

‘Don’t think too much, or you’ll have to deal with a headache,’ spoke Kibum, patting my back. My head hurt from a long time ago, though. ‘Just do what your heart tells you to.’

I raised my eyebrows, never expecting to hear such type of advice from my friend. Especially from him.

‘Just like you?’ I asked, glancing at the inside of my bedroom, partly hidden behind his back. Key smiled charmingly.

‘Kinda…’ he said, sending me a flying kiss and shutting the door again.

~*~

‘Expressing your emotions on a paper is good, but everything has its boarders and limits, Mr. Choi,’ said the lecturer, glancing at me with sympathy. There was my artwork in his hands, the one that I’ve been paining for the whole night. To be honest, when I realized what I’ve created, I was in shock. It seemed like a few hours ago, when I was painting, my mind didn’t work quite properly. The whole paper was covered with chaotic stains of red in various shades. It was a total abstraction, without any concrete shapes or meaningful composition. Loud and incomprehensible. Weird and… strangely familiar. As if my heart wore the same pattern of red chaos.

I scratched my head, not sure how to answer to my lecturer’s statement. In his old, clever eyes I saw concern. ‘Choi, do you have any problem with yourself?’

I froze at the question. A stupid thought came to my mind, telling that my teacher already knows about everything that had happened. I quickly rejected such possibility and cursed at Kibum in my mind, blaming him for scaring me.

‘So much angriness and aggression on one paper…’ continued my lecturer thoughtfully.

‘It’s not angriness and aggression,’ I spoke sooner, than I reconsidered my words. The teacher studied me cautiously. I knew exactly what question he will ask in the next place and I certainly didn’t want to answer it. I glanced at my watch. ‘I am so sorry, but I have to go now,’ I mumbled hurryingly and impolitely leaving the lecture hall.

I rushed through the corridor, aware of the fact that break has started about five minutes ago. I found Taemin still sitting in his class on his place. There were a few more students in the room, but all of them distant from my neighbor. The atmosphere was heavy, as if there was some conflict hanging in the air above our heads. I approached Taemin, took his hand and we left the class together.

Not much changed between us since yesterday. I mean… in fact everything changed, but we still acted like before. At least tried to. Never before had the touch of his hand scald my skin so much and it was hard for me to concentrate on anything else than all of those shadows and flares playing on his face. But I just couldn’t bring myself to mention last night. I was afraid that it might have been just a crazy dream of mine.

‘What happened? They bullied you?’ I asked worryingly, leading Taemin to a bench in the courtyard, the one that we sat on when he told me about his disability. I liked this place, often spending my breaks in here, watching the sky. This time courtyard was full of students, since the day was very sunny. Some of them glanced at me and Taemin. Winter silence was shattered by whispers. I couldn’t understand why everyone acted strangely today, but I was ready to hit anyone who disturbed Taemin.

The boy gave me a crooked smile, clearly not intending to answer my question. He sat closer to me and with a bit sleepy gesture leaned his head on my shoulder. I felt relief seeing the first sign of tenderness from him today. I watched his behavior closely, hoping to find an assurance of what had happened yesterday. I hesitated for a moment and finally softly pulled him closer, hugging the boy with one arm. He sighed quietly and snuggled into my chest. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who couldn’t sleep last night. Taemin seemed to be exhausted. I raised my hand and gently touched his cheek.

‘Hi,’ spoke an unfamiliar voice, pulling me out of the trans that I fell into, influenced by the warmth of Taemin’s body and this slight swinging of our breaths.

 Our bench was approached by a boy. I didn’t know him, but it seemed like he passed by me a few times in academy’s corridors, since he looked a bit familiar. I guessed that he was older than me, a student of the vocal department. I felt confused about his sudden approach, but I nodded my head and he smiled, placing himself next to Taemin. The boy was emanating with optimistic aura. He seemed to be very cheerful, which made me weirdly suspicious. However, I acted like nothing bothered me.

‘Call me Onew,’ said the boy, friendly, glancing at me and Taemin a bit too intensively.

‘Nice to meet you. I’m Minho and he’s my…’ I hesitated, suddenly realizing that I don’t know how to call Taemin. The word friend became faded and outdated, as if it wasn’t useful anymore. Much to my surprise, I saw understanding in Onew’s eyes. He nodded his head and smiled gently.

‘I understand,’ he said, not waiting for me to answer. I raised my eyebrows. How the hell could he understand if even I wasn’t quite sure about this? I suddenly thought about those stares that Key and Jonghyun used to give me and about the fact that my pink-haired friend knew about everything from a long time ago. It seemed like I was really the only one who couldn’t understand.

‘I’m Taemin,’ spoke the boy that I’ve been hugging. He sat straight and shook his hand with Onew, who gave us another warm look.

‘You don’t even know how much I envy you right now…’ he claimed with a dreamy expression.

‘I don’t understand what you mean,’ I said, confused. Onew frowned his eyebrows, suddenly worried.

‘Oh, I know such isolation may be terrible, but I think it’s worth it.’

‘What?’

‘Your love, of course,’ he claimed, making me even more confused. So it seemed like everyone really knew… but how? ‘They will be teasing and gossiping for some time, but then they’ll get tired of it and leave you alone, trust me.’ He smiled, this time in a sad way.

‘You’re…’ I didn’t finish my question, because suddenly the word gay rang in my head loudly, as I realized that what happened yesterday made me somehow one of them. I stared at Onew blankly with wide eyes, shocked with the conclusion.

‘Yes,’ he answered, guessing what I was about to ask.

‘Where is your boyfriend?’ spoke Taemin, that stayed silent until now. I even thought that he might have fallen asleep. Onew scratched his head, sadness filling his friendly eyes.

‘I haven’t found the right person yet.’ He blushed. ‘That’s why I envy you.’

‘Onew, tell me,’ I started hesitantly. ‘How does everyone knows about us?’ I looked around, afraid that someone is hearing out conversation. Taemin made a nervous movement and Onew raised his eyebrow, surprised.

‘What do you mean how? Since this kid appeared in academy you two were inseparable, walking through corridors and holding hands. I considered approaching you then, but didn’t want to embarrass you, if my guessing was wrong. But today you admitted it yourself, didn’t you? At least that’s what I heard…’

I stared at him with my eyes wide opened.

‘I didn’t…’

‘I did,’ spoke Taemin harshly and confidently. I gave him a puzzled look.

‘You?’ I stammered and he frowned, annoyed.

‘You asked if they bullied me. In fact they wanted to know if I pay you for being my dog,’ he said. I burst out laughing at this statement.

‘And what was the answer?’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter