~ XI ~

Correspondance des Arts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Attention: each "~♪♪♪~" sign is a link to the song that the character is performing.

‘Mhmmmm…’ I muttered, concentrated on playing with a strand of hair. Reflexes of sunlight kept on painting it with extraordinary colors. The sunshine was playing with long locks, colors changing like in a kaleidoscope. One moment the hair was copper-colored and in the matter of seconds it transformed into golden brown. I was watching this colorful and shiny mosaic of flares and shadows with pure amusement. I pulled the strand of hair closer to the window, trying to catch more of the magical sun beams.

‘Minho, are you listening to me?’ I heard annoyed voice of the owner of colorful hair. I looked at Taemin blankly, realizing that I have no idea what he’s been talking about. Shiny strands of his hair were still catching my attention, distracting me. After a long moment of silence, Taemin sighed. ‘Tomorrow is the day of our performance. Why can’t you just get down to work for once?’ he asked, annoyed.

‘Minnie, we’ve been practicing hard enough. I’m sure that everyone will be delighted,’ I answered, reaching with my hand to lazily touch his cheek. He waved his bow in the air and hit my arm, frowning.

‘Don’t fool around!’ he snapped. ‘And don’t call me like that…’ He pouted, almost too cute to handle.

‘Why I’m still forbidden from calling you like this?’ I asked, fake angriness ringing in my voice. ‘If Jonghyun can, why your boyfriend can’t?’ Taemin was getting more and more embarrassed with each word I said.

‘Because you’re my boyfriend,’ he answered, protectively crossing his arms on his chest. I raised my eyebrows. I didn’t expect such answer.

‘That’s unfair…’ I muttered.

‘Oh, you’re such a child! I always have to explain everything to you!’ he burst out and I smiled, because the whole conversation was childish from the start. ‘I don’t want you to call me the same way Jonghyun hyung calls me,’ he stated.

‘Why?’ I kept on asking. Teasing Taemin became one of my favorite things to do.

‘Because he treats me like a little child. Like a younger brother, or son even. That’s why he calls me… Minnie.’ The last word was said with disgust.

‘And how should I treat you then?’ I asked, before he managed to change the subject. A rosy shade of pink colored his cheeks with embarrassment.

‘You should already know such things…’ he mumbled, lowering his head to hide his face.

‘But I’m too stupid, you said it yourself…’ I said, lightly. I heard a snort from behind the curtain of his hair.

‘I’m a man and you should treat me like a man,’ he finally said, causing the rush of hotness inside of my body. I closed my eyes and leaned to him, searching for his lips, but I didn’t manage to kiss him, because he suddenly stood up and escaped. I glanced at him, disappointed, as he leaned on a window sill. I couldn’t see his face, only the golden, shinning hair.

‘Can you hear it?’ he asked thoughtfully. I sighed silently and approached him.

‘Here what? Are we listening to the city again?’ I spoke, leaning next to him and watching the concentration painted on his face. I couldn’t help his extraordinary behavior, unable to perceive the world the same way he did. The boy shook his head and smiled lightly, reaching for my hand. He turned back from the window and leaded me through his apartment.

Although I was a frequent guest in his flat, my visits usually consisted in penetrating Taemin’s room. However, this time I was leaded to another room, which appeared to be a living room. It was as clean and well-organized as Taemin’s bedroom. The room was furnished with elegant leather armchairs and a tiny coffee table. Instead of television there was a huge stereo set, with speakers in each corner of the room. Hundreds of CDs and vinyls were decorating shelfs and filling cabinets, all of it being a private collection of my little music lover. He leaded me through the room, to the glass door of a balcony. I felt a winter wind on my face and shivered. Taemin didn’t look as if he was cold, though.

‘Can you hear it now?’ he asked quietly, and I tried hard to concentrate, so that I would understand what he means. Unavailingly. I didn’t manage to find anything special in distant sound of the city, that could be heard from behind the barrier of trees in the park. ‘Can you hear this enchanting silence? It’s the sound of the winter,’ Taemin spoke, his whispering voice full of admiration. I rolled my eyes, heaving to deal with his favorite topic again, but stayed silent. The view from Taemin’s balcony was completely different, than from my own. Instead of rooftops of buildings and mosaic of streets, there was a beautiful landscape of the park, flooded with snow. I fixed my eyes on the trees. Their crooked, old branches were painted in white.

I tried once again, searching for something more than the cold wind that hit my ears. The layer of snow seemed to be absorbing all of the sounds, that the civilization tried to force through the natural barrier. There was only a faint trace of the city that could be heard, composed with the whispers of the trees. I frowned my eyebrows, deeply concentrated. How did Taemin call it?

‘…enchanting silence,’ I spoke, not quite aware that I do it out loud. The boy by my side smiled brightly.

‘So now you can hear it?’ he asked, gripping my hand tighter. I let go of his hand and stood behind him, placing my arms around his body and hands on his hips. ‘Can you hear my winter?’ he kept on whispering, as I put my chin on his arm, my eyes watching white snowflakes, falling from the sky and painting the hair of the boy that I was hugging. The sun appeared between the clouds and started a shiny show of flares on the layer of snow in the park. Somewhere not so far away, there could be heard a sound of snow falling from a branch of a tree, landing lightly on the ground. It was so soft, so fitting to the magical silence around us.

‘It’s beautiful, your winter,’ I admitted, watching the delicate smile forming on his lips. ‘And it will always remind me of you, no one else.’ I rubbed his hand with my thumb. ‘Can you tell me why you chose Vivaldi’s “Winter” during workshops?’ I asked, still curious about his point of view. I wanted to know his interpretation. The boy tilted his head. I could see that he’s preparing to tease me.

‘Minho, I doubt you’ll ever understand the essence of winter,’ he stated, at the same time interlacing our fingers. ‘For you it’s only the whiteness of snow and the coldness of wind or ice.’ I was listening to him, fascinated, once again learning his way of perceiving the world. ‘For me winter means something a lot more diversified. Winter is an essence of contradiction. From coldness of mornings, to hotness of evenings, spent by the chimney. From frost of the skin, to warmth of each breath. Winter is beautiful with its contrasts, with the imperfect impetuousness, that make your body shake and shiver. That’s why I chose it as my definition of ism.’ He smiled, satisfied with his explanation. I tried to find a proper words to answer, but the deepness of his point of view was just too much.

Suddenly, a cold wind ruffled our hair and the boy in my arms shivered.

‘You’ll catch a cold. It’s time to go back,’ I spoke firmly and he nodded, following my steps. As soon as we came back to the living room, I fixed my eyes on something that I didn’t previously notice.

‘A piano?’ I spoke, and the question made Taemin blush, as he became embarrassed.

‘I won’t play for you,’ he stated, trying to sound as harsh as possible. I smiled viciously and sat behind the piano. I started to purposely hit random keys, creating a chaotic and noisy music. After a few seconds I felt a pain in my back, as Taemin hit me. I stopped playing and glanced at my boyfriend. ‘Get out of my way, you idiot,’ he growled, and when I did not react, he sat next to me and sighed. He placed his fingers on the keyboard.

‘You changed your mind? Not jittering anymore?’ I asked and he snorted.

‘From what you presented, your skills are so poor that there's no use in being nervous,' he said and, not giving me a chance to answer, he started playing.

~♪♪♪~

Slender fingers danced across the keyboard, creating

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter