Chapter 07: Will really set us free?

'Cause They Could See Us

“The timeless in you is aware of life's timelessness. And knows that yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream.” 

-Kahlil Gibran

 

 

 

‘Dear passengers, we just arrived at Seoul, South Korea…’

At the declaration of the location, Kyuhyun’s eyes flew open from the much needed rest that he was taking through the whole flight. Just the mere mention of the place brought back memories that he has been trying to forget for the past three months. He didn’t know why but in just a flick of a finger; in just a simple name, the walls that he had put up for the whole three months crumbled down into pieces.

“Mr. Cho, we’re already here.” He heard someone whisper from his left side since he was seated next to the window of the plane.

“I know. I heard the announcement just now. I’m not deaf.” Kyuhyun monotonously said. Without waiting for Kibum’s reply, he turned his back on the sighing guy to face the waiting view next to him. Months have already passed but the place didn’t even change a bit. The sun was hanging too low as usual and was creating a gloomy ambiance for the creatures below and people were still wearing their coats and jackets to provide them warmth from the harsh weather. Why does it feel like the only one who was trying to change is him?

“Mr. Cho this way.”

He sighed before moving from his position to face Kibum. “Make sure that you brought everything with us.” That and he walk away. He was welcomed by harsh winds and could only shiver at the coldness it brought with it. ‘No more warmth for me, huh?’ He sarcastically thought.

After walking the remaining distance up to the main exit of the airport, Kyuhyun was more than surprise when a cluster of reporters welcomed him with their microphones and cameras up and could almost hit him square on his face just to get something from him. “What the hell?” He hissed quietly.

Guards from the establishment as well as his own successfully averted the group away from him. “Sir Cho, just a word please!” Some shouted.

“CEO, you’re very successful now, what can you say about that?!”

“Mr. Cho, what can you say about being listed as one of the top ten most successful person not just here in our country but all around the world?!”

Kyuhyun brushed them all away since after all, they were nothing but people who wanted to meddle on someone else’s business.

“Mr. Cho, you’re very successful now, what made you reach this far? Have you made any sacrifices along the way?” Kyuhyun froze when someone – a guy—stepped in front of him despite the forces that the guards were exerting on them. He was wearing a bull cap over his head and a microphone was held in front of him and towards Kyuhyun. “What inspire you for you to reach this far?”

Instantly, he was reminded of the only person that he was depriving himself for the last three months. He was reminded of the small smile and giggles that rung beautifully in his ear; he was reminded of the husky voice from the only person that he so badly wanted to see. The simple touches and whispers, the glances and most of all the memory of his lips with Kyuhyun’s came back all at once.

“Sir! Please get out of the way!” A civilian guard barked. They were about to pull him away in front of Kyuhyun when without thinking the younger guy spoke.

“The only person I’ve loved and still love; I hate to think that I did that because of something else but knowing also what it will do to me, it feels like in a simple word, that’s what I did.” He whispered.

“Sir—?” But he was cut off by a guard who was already pulling him away from Kyuhyun. “Sir, what does that mean?!”

Kyuhyun felt someone pushed him from behind and slowly he started towards his parked car and let someone opened the door for him before settling down on its comfortable leather chair. He tightly closed his eyes before pinching the gap between his eyes to prevent the incoming headache. Did he really sacrifice Jongwoon for all of this? He did, didn’t he? Kyuhyun pursed his lips together in vain attempt to shut off the world laid out in front of him. This is the truth that he has been trying to run away from; no matter what his reasons were this is still the other side of the of reality.

Damn it, Kyuhyun. Damn it!’

“Sir…?” Someone whispered from in front of him. Immediately, his attention drifted on one of the civilian guard sitting in front of him.

“What the hell was that?!” Kyuhyun shouted. “You didn’t even alert us that there was something like that waiting for us!” He roared even more. This making his head ached even more. ‘Why do people get dumber every single minute?’

“Sir, I’m sorry but we thought that you’ll come later than your original flight arrival because we received a message that it will be delayed for an hour.” The guy informed him truthfully.

“But you still ought to tell us.” He hissed; he turned to Kibum at the same time the guy opened his mouth to reply but halted when he refocused his interest on Kibum who was quietly sitting beside him because he felt a small tap from the said guy. “What?” Kyuhyun murmured.

“Sir, Mr. Park of the Park Group is calling, should I answer it or not?” Kibum asked as he brought out the ringing phone. Kyuhyun wanted to pull his hair out already but instead of doing so, he just sighed deeply before asking for the damn ringing phone.

Ah good day Mr. Cho, how are you doing; your flight, were you comfortable the whole—.”

“Let’s not waste any more of our precious time and go straight with our business.” He cut in; not really in the mood to talk about business as early as now since he felt really tired from his flight. “I’m sorry but I’m not interested to merge my company with yours. No offense but Mr. Park my company is currently gaining more than yours and it will not take any smart person five seconds to see that we will not gain anything from your proposal. That’s all that I have to say and have a good day, Mr. Park.” After saying his final words as a form of a respect to the old man he turned his phone off before giving it back to Kibum.

“Cancel all my meetings for today.” Kyuhyun instructed.

“But sir, you have a—.”

“I said cancel it all.” He looked back at Kibum with narrowed eyes; mentally challenging the guy to retort back but it seems like his secretary have already received his message and only nodded in response. “Good.”

 


 

So, how’s that thing you’re talking about?”

Kyuhyun sighed at Donghae’s question. He was sitting at his apartment and drinking his favorite brand of wine when his phone suddenly rung and much to his surprise, Donghae’s name registered at his screen.

“I’m not yet doing anything about that.” He simply replied. He was feeling too tired from all the travelling that he was making this past few months and he couldn’t help but think that when you’re really trying to escape from  something, it wouldn’t take long before you find yourself treading the same spot yet again. “You know that I’m too lazy to get things done at the time allotted.”

Kyuhyun heard a laugh from the other side before he heard Donghae spoke again. “Dude, really? You said you don’t want to step even a single foot on that land yet you’re being lazy to get things done as soon as you can so that you can travel back here in New York.”

The younger walk towards his floor-to-ceiling window to take a peek at the never changing view outside of his flat, “I just wanted to unwind just for a little bit.” He whispered without thinking.

“About what? Let me guess, about that guy you were talking about to me, am I right?” Donghae suggested. “If you’re not yet over him then why leave him in the first place? Think Kyuhyun, god and they said that you’re one of the smartest person in the whole world since you managed to secure your position at such a young age.”

Kyuhyun just sighed at the insult that he had received from his not-too-long-ago-since-became-friend that he met at a bar brawl one and a half month ago in New York. Then after that night, after the broken bottles and chairs and shouting from female waiters and curses that they got from the guards; they just found out that they both have the same likes and dislikes and then more wines and a little chit chat here and there before they settled to become the best of friends within just an hour.

“I’m not talking about that dimwit. I mean, about business. From the last time I remember, it’s been too long since the last time I went out and actually had fun.” He smirked to himself upon remembering his little date with Jongwoon before he left the other at a certain hospital for good.

He heard Donghae scoffed from the other end of the line. “Yeah, you can’t fool me, you know that? Probably not, since you wasted some of your very significant saliva trying to trick me. Tell me the truth, Kyuhyun. You’re still thinking about him.”

Upon sensing the seriousness from the other’s voice, Kyuhyun immediately stiffened and felt his shoulder slumping slowly in disappointment. “Donghae let’s just drop the topic.” He replied.

But Kyuhyun, you’ve changed.”

When he was about to open his mouth to retort back at Donghae’s words to him he was immediately cut off the by the latter.

And don’t even think of denying it. I’ve talked to Kibum even before you left for Korea. And I know that ever since you left Seoul three months ago for New York, you were always angry about almost anything. You always spat at how incompetent humans are – as if you’re not human yourself. But my point is, Kyuhyun, maybe, you going back there in your country is a sign that maybe you really have to do something about that and whether it is to your advantage or not, you have to finish what you have started.”

He was speechless at what Donghae have said. Not because it was all true since he was already used to being slapped with reality slash truth but rather at the part where Donghae said that maybe it is a sign for something…

Maybe this whole ordeal was a sign for him to finish what was started.

“But it was the best for him.” He whispered back, because he couldn’t be selfish anymore just for his sake knowing what it will do to Jongwoon.

Really? Why, have you already asked him? Did he want this? Are you sure that he’s okay with this settlement that you so selfishly made? Goodness Kyuhyun, do you even know his thoughts about all this?”

Kyuhyun’s forehead creased. He didn’t know Lee Donghae long enough to know his history with his family or etcetera. But why does it feel like Donghae already knew so many things about him?

He was about to speak when he heard the other guy scoffed once again. “Just like what you always said, it wouldn’t take a smart person more than five seconds to know what you’ve been up to for the last few months.” He even heard Donghae chuckled from the other line. “Dude, you ain’t got all the time in this world to show him how much you love him.”

Kyuhyun shook his head. What the hell is he thinking? There’s no more possible solution for their situation, for him and Jongwoon, so he should just continue whatever he is doing at the moment. “You know what, you’re just confusing me. Why the hell did you even call me for?”

Oh, oh yeah. I almost forgot. Uhm, hey Kyuhyun can you please do me a favor?”

He rolled his eyes. He knew it, he laughed a little bit before answering. “You gold digging bastard, I knew you wanted me to do something for you. What is it?!” Kyuhyun almost shouted. The wine must be getting into his head now.

Yah! You brat! Anyway, since you’re about to do me a favor I’ll let this one go.” There was a small pause from Donghae’s side before the latter spoke once again. “Uhm, do you mind meeting my friend at the warehouse in front of the dock later this evening?” He could hear the hesitation in his friend’s voice when he spoke. Kyuhyun smirked a little bit at that.

“Okay, sure.” Then he heard a sigh. “But, what do I get in return?” Then he roared a laugh when he heard Donghae groaned in defeat from the other side. “I want something that will really, really make me happy. You know, something like that limited edition of the new version of Starcraft that was still a mystery to me on how’re you able to get?” He nonchalantly added.

What the ?! Kyuhyun anything but that!” Donghae retorted.

“Well then, I couldn’t assure you that I will meet that friend of yours at the warehouse in front of the dock.” Then he smirked even more as he heard a resigned sigh.

You little son of a devil. Ah no, you’re blackmail in human form. Fine! You’ll have it as soon as you returned here in New York—.”

Ah, no, no. I want you to deliver it now here at my address in Korea. I don’t want to deal with a lying friend when I got back there, you know. So have it deliver before the time that I was supposed to meet that friend of yours.” Kyuhyun snickered when he heard a low ‘smart ’ comment from Donghae.

Okay, okay. Then I have to hang up now since I have to deliver something to my friend who, I think, literally came out from hell.”

“Okay, make sure that it is in good shape before it reaches me. Bye.” That and he hang up.

Slowly, as minutes passed by, the smile that was etched on his lips disappeared as the sun started to crawl down from its position a while back. Silence enveloped him once again and thoughts that he wanted so badly to forget invaded his mind for the nth time. Because together with the much needed serenity that he’s been looking for since he was young; memories of the person that he wished to be with came back with it. And for the first time since three months ago, Kyuhyun wanted to just run and find the place that he could call as his home.

The place where Kim Jongwoon is.

Without knowing, a tear already fell from his eyes. Upon taking his hand back from holding the curtains to give some light on the room; darkness was immediate to reclaim his apartment.

At least he is still somewhere out there; doing the things that he wanted to do.’ And those thoughts were enough to strengthen his resolved on not to look for Jongwoon.

 


 

Kyuhyun’s attention flew away from his laptop and up to his phone that kept on vibrating.

As of today, you have an unclaimed package on your account.

Package details:

From: New York City Express, New York City

Sender: Lee Donghae

Time: 4:37 PM

Attached Note: Hey Dimwit,

Hey! This is your beloved Starcraft. I promised I’ll get back to you in the future. And don’t forget our deal. Later at 6:00 PM at the warehouse in front of the dock. Meet my friend there; he’ll just pass a message to you about something.

P.S

Since you’ll thank me later, I’ll give you my response first: You’re Welcome.

 

His forehead creased at the meaning of Donghae’s attached note into the package but anyway, that guy could sometimes sprout weird things suddenly. Kyuhyun immediately typed Kibum’s number to send him to pick up the package.

After doing so, he looked up at the clock placed on the right side of his table and immediately leaps from his position upon knowing that it is already 5:38 in the evening and it will take him more than thirty minutes to reach the dock. He snatched his car key from the drawer of his table before putting his shoes and coat on then runs towards the parking place of the apartment.

Loud tapping noise of the rain welcomed him as he drive off the parking lot and he could only cursed out loud. “Damn it.” And just as he predicted, because of the damn rain, he got stucked in traffic for almost half an hour. He could only wish that Donghae wouldn’t know this from his other friend.

He was really trying to hurry off to the meeting place but when he accelerated his car forward, this guy suddenly came out of nowhere and crossed his path that if it isn’t for his attentiveness, he might have the need spend half of his life in jail for killing someone involuntarily. Loud honking noise from his car as well as those on the same lane as him echoed at the rain-drowned street. Kyuhyun hurriedly exited the warmth and comfortable atmosphere that his car was emitting to check the guy that was still standing in front of his car. “Hey? Hey, sir! Are you okay?” Rain was abrupt to soak him from head up to his toe. He walked towards the guy who was bent down and in the middle of picking his umbrella and other staff that was scattered on the pavements.

“Hey, Mister, are you okay? I’m sorry but you just suddenly crossed the street. God, what were you doing? I could’ve hit you if I wasn’t –.” His next words died down on his tongue when the guy looked up at him. Recognition colored his dull brain when familiar raven orbs welcomed him. “Jong—Jongwoon?” Kyuhyun whispered.

“Excuse me?” The guy frowned at him in question. They were both soaking wet now and still standing at the middle of the road but setting all those aside, Kyuhyun intently stared at the guy standing in front of him. He felt his hands and knees felt numb; his heart beats accelerated and his mind went blank. Not knowing what to do; Kyuhyun roughly took the other guy’s arm to get a closer look at his face. “Excuse me, Sir? What are you doing?”

Upon getting a closer and clearer look, he sighed both for relief and disappointment. “You’re not Jongwoon.” He said more of as a statement rather than a question.

“Well, yes. Basically I’m not.” The guy stared at him confusedly. “I’m Kim Jongjin and how did you know my brother’s name?”

 


 

Kyuhyun settled his cup down over the saucer in front of him before gazing back at the guy who was now sitting in front of him: Kim Jongjin, Jongwoon’s only brother.

“S-s-so…” He stuttered.

“Yes? What is it?” Jongjin stared at him straightforwardly. With a dull emotion, the younger bore his eyes at him. “Do I really look like my brother, Kyuhyun-ssi? You kept on gazing at me since a while ago as we rode your car.”

Kyuhyun lowered his eyes down at his left fist which was placed on his lap while the other was holding the handle of the cup. They were currently seated at the nearest café shop at the dock because without knowing what he had just done, Kyuhyun invited Jongjin for a cup of coffee without knowing what to say in the first place. He sighed. “I’m sorry if I was bothering you.” He simply replied.

“What do you want to talk to me about?” Kyuhyun grimaced at the choice of words of Jongjin. “Do you want to ask me about hyung?” A small frown was now visible on his facial feature.

“No—I-I mean yes. I mean…” Kyuhyun stumbled on his words as he tried to make sense of his actions. “Jongjin, I just wanted to know—.”

“Alzheimer’s Disease.” He was frozen on the spot upon hearing that name once again. Kyuhyun felt his hand shook for the slightest bit. “He was diagnosed of having that disease five months ago. Our parents were the same, you know?” Kyuhyun noted the slight waver of emotions in Jongjin’s eyes. “They were also diagnosed with that same disease but the only different it has with hyung is that, they were already in their fifties when the doctor found out about their growing disease. Then after that, hyung and I watched them as they slowly forgot simple things around them.

“Then they forgot about simple things about us, and then slowly they forgot how to do very simple tasks. And at the end, they forgot that they already lose pieces of memories about themselves.” Slowly, Jongjin’s eyes travel at the view outside the café shop. “Until six years ago, they completely left us.”

“Jongjin, I’m sorry to hear that. Jongwoon didn’t tell—.”

“How? How would he, hyung?” The younger cuts in but this time, gone was the fierce looked on his eyes and was replaced by a gentle one. “You left him, remember?”

Kyuhyun bowed his head down out of shame. He tightly shuts his eyes because somehow, he couldn’t look directly at Jongjin. With those simple words from the younger, he was rendered speechless because no matter what reasons he has; Jongjin’s words were nothing but the truth.

“Jongwoon-hyung, h-he he’s not okay.” Jongjin stuttered and when Kyuhyun looked up he was welcomed by the watery eyes of the younger. “Every day he would forget simple things and I can’t do anything but watched him from the sidelines.”

Upon hearing those words, Kyuhyun hurriedly pulled out his wallet from his back pocket before pulling out a piece of paper of his calling card only to handle it out on Jongjin’s direction. “Jongjin, I need you to do me a favor.” When the younger’s forehead creased he continued. “Call me if… if something went wrong with your hyung, okay?”

“Why would I do that?” Jongjin asked in pure confusion. “Didn’t you leave him because you don’t want to be with him anymore?”

“Jongjin just please do this. I just need to know his… ah-his ahhh…”

Suddenly, the paper that he was holding was snatched away from his grasped. “Currently, the doctor said that he was on stage three of the disease or could also be called as ‘mild decline’; there were seven stages and since his was progressing a little bit faster than any normal person who was also suffering from the same illness, though he was just diagnosed five months ago, he was already on the stage where he was having a hard time remembering details from the articles or books he just read.

“I understood what you’re trying to say. I’ll tell you if there is something or anything new about him.” And with that said, Jongjin left him without waiting for his reply and he could only sigh at that.

He keeps on thinking about Jongwoon’s happiness yet within the three months that he was away, the guy was already suffering too much from his disease and Kyuhyun can’t help but to question his decision many, many nights ago.

 


 

Kyuhyun hurriedly parked his car next to the only warehouse in front of the dock and run-walk the remaining distance before harshly opening the door to get a shield from the now raging rain.

But instead of a person that he expected to welcome him, he was greeted by pure silence and abandoned stuff from fishing. His forehead creased in confusion; from the last time he could remember, Donghae said that the meeting place was in a warehouse in front of the dock and this was the only warehouse he saw when he was driving around earlier.

Did he understand it wrong?

“Hello?!” He shouted since the warehouse was big enough but no one answered. ‘Damn that Donghae, is he mocking me again?’

Kyuhyun turned around to leave the place when he saw a guy standing just outside the warehouse. He almost jumped out of surprised. He narrowed his eyes to see the face of the guy but he couldn’t since he was holding an umbrella and it was covering his whole face from Kyuhyun’s view.

“Excuse me, are you—?”

“Hi Kyuhyun.” Immediately, he froze on the spot. He knew that voice; he heard it somewhere before but he couldn’t tell the exact name of the owner of it. He rummaged his brain to look for the owner of the voice but he couldn’t really remember. “Kyuhyun, your head might explode if you over think your situation.”

And then something in him snapped. “Heechul?” Kyuhyun unbelievably asked.

Slowly, the man lifted his umbrella and behind the blue object that was covering his view of the guy standing in front of him; Kyuhyun was once again, looking straight at Kim Heechul; a phenomenon, a reaper, an angel… and the time in human form itself was standing in front of him once again.

“I can see that you remembered.”

He breathed out of surprise as the situation slowly dawned into him. Donghae. The bar brawl. The phone call. The attached note. Is this what Donghae meant at his note? Is he one of them? Was he being played by these creatures once again?

”Kyuhyun, I know that your mind is currently disoriented but hear me out first.”

“Heechul, wh-what is this all about now?” He asked out of pure confusion. “Why are you here again? What are you up to this time? Do-Donghae, don’t tell me that guy was one of you?”

Heechul took a step forward before halting when he was far enough from the door then slowly, the creaking sound of a metal echoed at the four-walled room. And before Kyuhyun knows it, the door was already tightly shut behind the red headed guy. “Hey! Did you just lock us in?!” He asked exasperatedly.

“Well, I could clearly see that sooner or later you’ll run away from this establishment and wouldn’t listen to even just one word that I will utter so it is better to save myself from the trouble of forcing you to listen to me.” Heechul nonchalantly explained.

Kyuhyun opened and closed his mouth while trying form a comprehensible sentence because no matter how hard he pressed his brain or rummaged it for anything; he was still confused of what is happening.

“Okay, so first, Donghae is, indeed, one of us. I used him to get through you when you were at the state. Second, I also think that you may wonder why I’m here –.”

“You think?” Kyuhyun asked; wide eyes. “Well, why are you here? Are you suddenly trying to help me after all of the things that you have done in the past? You even let them capture Hyukjae, why suddenly has a change of heart??”

He noted the look of irritation that flashes on Heechul’s expression at the mention of Hyukjae’s name. “Well brat, if you would let me finish first then there’ll be no more problem, right?”

“With you? I’m not so sure about that.” Kyuhyun retorted back and step slightly backwards when Heechul took a step closer but halt immediately when he saw the mortal’s reaction.

“I’ll let that one pass. But hey! You can’t say that I didn’t completely help you in the past. I did, you know?” And when Kyuhyun stared at him with a forehead creased, he rolled his eyes upward. “Remember, the first time you met Sungmin and he was trying to block your way to Jongwoon and you can’t even hitch a ride, I was your sponsor at transportation back then.” He said smugly.

Kyuhyun’s forehead creased even more as pieces of memories from that day came back to him. “That was you?”

Heechul’s forehead creased as well. “Hey! That’s why I told you that you can’t completely blame me since I have helped you that time. Okay now, first; Sungmin was lying when he said that Jongwoon wasn’t good for you.”

Kyuhyun’s forehead creased. “W-what?! Then why the hell do they care about us so much—?”

At his question, a small smile broke out of Heechul’s face. “Because he is enough Kyuhyun. He is enough for you, because if you have him you don’t need to fill in the void inside of you with proposals and more business staff that you’ve been doing for the past few years of your whole life. You will stop your ambition to stand up at the very top of the top of the pyramid.

“That’s important, yes I know, but that wasn’t the only thing that matters and you found out that other thing. You found yourself a remedy from all those s that happened to you.”

Kyuhyun shook his head a little bit. “But Sungmin was right. I’ve been successful at whatever I did when I left Jongwoon three months ago.”

“Well, of course. The only thing that I have said that Sungmin was lying about was the part when he said that Jongwoon wasn’t good for you and aside from that, everything is all true.”

His forehead furrowed deeper. “Then—then I can’t take away from Jongwoon his future just because—.” But before he could finish his sentence, Heechul cut him off.

“’And I’m not choosing to be the successful person you wanted me to become if it meant that I’m without Jongwoon.’ You said that, right? And what made you think that Jongwoon doesn’t feel the same way? Yes you’re company will suffer, and you will help lesser than what you could’ve if you’re not with Jongwoon but Kyuhyun don’t forget that that was what originally was written.

“Only because of the sudden change of Jongwoon’s fate sets this on. The chairman wanted to separate you from someone who will sooner be the cause of your sorrow.” And immediately, Kyuhyun already knew what Heechul was talking about. “He knew that the fate of Jongwoon will hinder you to become so much more that’s why he decided to rewrite it. Because Kyuhyun; people will not simply know your name, they will look up to you, they will love you because of the goods that you will provide them but it will be different if Jongwoon is in the picture, do you get it?”

However, the rest of Heechul’s words went unheard on his ear. He was left pondering about Jongwoon’s fate; about how it will ruin him because of its impending outcome, how it will be the cause of his sorrow. He wanted to ask the red headed guy standing in front of him about what he meant by that but he’s not sure if he really wanted to know what’s the hidden implication of it.

He felt his fist grabbed his side in a very tight grasped. This is what they wanted in the first place? To separate him from Jongwoon because he will greatly affect him? Because sooner or later he will leave him? That’s it, right?

Kyuhyun suddenly felt dizzy because after all that he went through he finally reached the very bottom of all this.

He felt someone slapped him very slightly. “Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun?” Someone called him and when he snapped his at the source of the voice, he was welcomed by Heechul. “I know that you have so many concerns right now, but you have to make the decision.”

His forehead creased. Have to make the decision? What’s with that question? Of course he will definitely choose Jongwoon. But then, what will he do about what Sungmin had said? If he chose Jongwoon now, then there will be a possibility that his future will change too.

“Kyuhyun, he has to sacrifice that then. It will be just like how you will sacrifice the much better future ahead of you. That’s an equal exchange. It is like how nature gave life to you humans but in the end, will have take it back.” Heechul explained serenely; this is the first time he saw the guy with an understanding expression painting his face. “Isn’t that all living things will eventually leave this place? All the existing things now will have to fade away sooner or later; it’s just that there will be people who will leave earlier than others and you have to accept that fact.”

Kyuhyun thought he was prepared to know the bottom line of all this, he thought there will be nothing else that could make him feel pain other than leaving the person he loves so much and most of all, he thought that he was already used to being slapped by the truth but he was wrong. So wrong that he was ashamed to admit it even to himself.

And now, all he wanted to do was to travel back on the time that he decided to leave Jongwoon. He wanted to return to that hospital, he wanted to return the time that he wasted for self pitying. He was so dumb!

He heard the red headed guy in front of him chuckled a bit. “Yes you are. But it is not too late to fix all this. It is never too late.” Kyuhyun stared at him with a creased forehead. “I’ll help you.” Heechul added.

 


 

“Okay so where is this?” Kyuhyun finally asked. They’ve been walking for the past few minutes now and he couldn’t help but question the loyalty of the guy walking ahead of him; leading him to the unknown. Around him, there were water pipes that are sometimes leaking and there were also small canals here and there. Though the place doesn’t reeked of something that it unbearable, still, he was worried of their location. He has been receiving calls from Kibum since a while ago but he was just ignoring it, he’s not gonna let anybody ruin his plan.

“Relax kiddo. We’re under the city.” Heechul ducked a little upon seeing a pipe hanging so low. “This is a safe place since there’s water everywhere, Hyukjae told you about the water thingy, right?” When he nodded Heechul continued. “Well, since it will stop raining after seven minutes, you are very much an open target for those who were keeping tabs on you; that is why we needed to stay here for a bit longer but don’t worry, it is just until rain finally pour tomorrow morning once again.”

“It will rain tomorrow?” Kyuhyun asked idiotically. But it was too late to take his comment back.

Heechul looked back at him ridiculously. “Duh, I just said it.” They continued walking for a little bit more until they reached an opening where a wooden table, two chairs and a lamp were placed. Kyuhyun’s forehead creased but followed Heechul when the latter occupied one of the chairs and started rummaging through his black messenger bag. “Yes, it is safe in here.” Heechul answered his unvoiced question. “This is a hide-out that Hyukjae made many, many years ago when he was still a human.” Then he shrugged. “But that story was for later; now let’s get on with our business.”

“You can read minds, too?” Kyuhyun instead asked. Hyukjae can’t do that but Sungmin could and it seems like Heechul also could read his mind. “You’re just like Sungmin but Hyukjae’s one of you also, right? Then why can’t he read my thoughts? Is it because he was a human before?” He bombarded Heechul with his question to which the other just sighed before mumbling about how curious humans could get.

The read headed guy placed a map of some sort on the table before glancing up to him. “First, we cannot read minds.” When he was about to retort back, Heechul cut in. “Sungmin lied. We cannot read minds but we can absolutely feel your decisions. We can feel when you will turn around, when you will sleep, what you will pick from all the choices laid out to you but feeling is different from reading. Sungmin tricked you so that you will feel the fear of being exposed.” Kyuhyun was caught off guard when Heechul smirked. “Though, it clearly didn’t work because you’re still here. Fighting your way through.”

“But what about Hyukjae?”

“Remember when we first met? I told you didn’t I? Hyukjae was just my subordinate; he was not in the same level as I or Sungmin. He was just like Youngwoon, you know, the bulky guy? And they don’t have the same ability as their masters’.”

Kyuhyun nodded in understanding. “Guess that’s why Hyukjae was smarter than his master.” He mumbled silently but he knew that Heechul heard that very well as if he has spoken normally.

“Okay now!” Heechul finally dropped the topic but not without a sparing a glare on his way. “This is the map of the city above.” He said while tapping the paper in front of them. “Remember that you cannot use all the doors above because there are some that we could control.”

“Control?” Kyuhyun looked closely at the map. “What do you mean by control?”

“We could control its destination. And there are some scattered here in the city and not just here but all over the world so you have to be careful at opening the doors.” Heechul ducked down and towards his bag before fishing out a pen. He encircled some of the doors that for Kyuhyun seems like he was picking randomly. “There,” He said after he was done. “Now look closely at those doors and tell me their similarities.” He touched very delicately the map as it zoomed in to them for them to have a closer look at the doors.

Kyuhyun didn’t react anymore at what happened.

His mind automatically observed the doors being enveloped with red marks to those that weren’t. At first glance, they were all just the same, some were faded and some were not. His forehead involuntarily creased as he focused even more at the challenge presented to him and after a minute or two, as his eyes trailed door to door something bizarre caught his eyes.

One of the doors, one that was marked, has a faded mark like that of a chain. If one was not observant enough, they might think that it was just a smudge or a scratch but when Kyuhyun felt the bracelet like chain encircling his arm dangled a little bit recognition colored his eyes.

“You’re right. That was indeed the prognostic that that door was ours in the first place.” Heechul said with prideful eyes. “For us, they were actually a reminder of our limited power. The chairman limits us for the use of our power to avoid rebellion.” Then he scoffed. “Especially since not all of us like you, humans.”

He rolled his eyes at that. “Okay, now what?”

“All you have to do is to avoid those doors; don’t come closer to it, like an arm span maybe, because it will you in and if it does, then it’s game over for you.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Once you started running, all hell will break lose for you and Jongwoon, every one of us will be sent to follow you. That is how Jungsu works. He will not let you get away with this. And once you get up by a door that is within our control then in just a blink of an eye you will be cornered by the likes of me and that’s the end of it.”

Kyuhyun’s shoulder slumped down. He’s not sure about the outcome of this but no matter how many times he told himself that, he cannot find it in him to stop whatever it is that he was planning. “It’s all worth it.” He said more to himself. He closed his eyes for the slightest bit and imagined Jongwoon’s smiling face. “’The means justifies the ends; the end justifies the means.’ The end will come no matter what and it is only a matter of time before that. It will not make any difference if we are to meet it half way.” He inhaled deeply before letting it all out together with his worries. “As long as I’m with him.” He added in a whisper.

“And you won’t do it alone.” Heechul cut in. Kyuhyun stared at him from his reverie with questioning eyes. “I will be your ally.”

 


 

He was mumbling something, he was saying something; an explanation? A question? An order? He doesn’t know. Kyuhyun was talking with someone, he was having a conversation with a person he hasn’t seen before. His forehead creased in confusion when desperation suddenly enveloped him, he felt like crying but no tears are coming out.

What’s happening? Where is he?

“Kyuhyun it’s time!”

The said guy snapped his eyes from looking at the map laid out on the table. His eyes were wide open, but why does it felt like he was dreaming just now? He heard the loud tapping of the rain above them and the air felt colder than earlier. “Kyuhyun, you have to move now.” Heechul hissed from beside him. He didn’t even know that the red headed guy was sitting too close to him; as if he was waiting for something to happen.

Kyuhyun leap from his seat and stared at his wrist watch: 8:34 AM. “I have to leave.”

“Yes, that’s what I’ve been telling you but you keep on looking intently at those doors.” Heechul said in a hissed. “You go now, and I’ll come when you needed me most.” Heechul started packing all the things that he have used before glancing back at him. “Remember that up there, everyone is enemy. You don’t know how to distinguish humans from our kind; it is something that only we could do that’s why you should treat all of them as an enemy.”

He nodded before starting towards at the exit but halted when he remembered a very important part of his mission. “Wait, but where can I find Jongwoon?”

Heechul stared at him with challenge coloring his gaze. “If it is really the both of you, then you’ll see him; just like how you two met over and over again.” That and he forcefully pushed the younger man out of the door.

Though full of questions and doubt, Kyuhyun started running as soon as he stepped foot out of the place that he hid at with Heechul. Rain immediately drenched him from head to toe but he doesn’t care anymore. He has to finish this, and his only goal: find Kim Jongwoon.

People started to looked at him in ridicule as he only keeps on running; not caring if he was already bumping some of the bystanders on the street. He crossed streets and started searching for doors far enough to the ones with the insignia of the chains. When he found a good enough door, he twisted the knob counterclockwise twice before letting his mind lead him to the place where Jongwoon is. But as if someone was sabotaging him, it lead him to an alley he has no clue the exact location. Fences blocked his both side and his only way out was the door behind him and moving forward. He turned around to enter the door once again but as he reached out for its knob, it was moving continuously, as if someone was trying to get through.

Left with no choice, he run forward under the rain but abruptly stops when these guys suddenly came out of nowhere and blocked his way. “Damn.” He hissed.

“You’re cornered.” One said. He opened his mouth to speak some more but Kyuhyun turned around and runs back to the fences, he climbed on it hurriedly; good thing he was a bit athletic enough to do simple things like this. Without wasting any more time, Kyuhyun reached for another door and was surprise to see the café shop of Jongwoon and Jongjin standing in front of him upon exiting the door.

“Jongwoon!” He shouted idiotically; thinking that he will be heard from his position across the street. He willed his feet to move faster as he started running towards the shop. Kyuhyun yanked the door open as soon as he was near enough to reach it. “Where’s Jongwoon?” He asked the unfamiliar guy standing in front of the cashier.

“Wha—?” The guy was caught off guard that it took him a minute to respond from his question. “Sir Jongwoon was not here. He left hours ago.”

He brushed his hair upward out of disappointment. “Damn!” He hissed loudly which gains the attention of the customers inside the café. He exited the shop and runs towards the door sitting idly on the next block. This time, this time he’s sure that he will finally reached Jongwoon, he can feel it.

He opened it and felt his blood runs cold when the stoic face of Lee Sungmin welcomed him. Kyuhyun tried to turn around but the door was already locked that he couldn’t even turn the knob even for the slightest bit. He stared back at Sungmin unbelievably before noticing that they were once again in an alley that he doesn’t know of. “Sungmin.” He said through gritted teeth.

“I will have to reprogram you now. How dare you do something like this, you filthy human?” Kyuhyun swear he could already see red in Sungmin’s eyes. “You are such a pain in the .”

“How dare I? No, Sungmin. You, how dare you?! You keep on meddling with my life. Don’t you think it’s unfair that you could do whatever you wanted yet I’m not?” Kyuhyun said as he looks around the place. There were no people around, it seems like Sungmin picked a very appropriate place for his plan.

“You’re in no position to tell me that, human!” His left hand started to glow, the same light that he saw many years ago with the men who infiltrated his office. “I’ll reprogram you whether you liked it or not.” He started inching forward Kyuhyun when a sharp wind; so strong that he have to close his eyes to avoid dust from coming into his eyes. But even before he could tightly shut his eyes close, a flash of red and grey cross his vision.

There was a moment of silence. That is, until a choking sound touched his ears.

Kyuhyun’s eyes almost escape their sockets when big grey wings welcomed him. And they were not just wings from simple doves that he sees everyday; they were bigger. The feathers were more defined, and look softer. And it is so big that Kyuhyun thought it might carry a human being.

Slowly, the person behind the set of beautiful wings turned to face him. “Heechul?!” He almost choked when that familiar smirked painted the thin lips of the guy. The extended wings folded ever so slightly and the situation before him shocked him even more.

Sungmin was now kneeling in front of Heechul with the latter’s hand extended towards the former. He looks like he was choking from something that was not there. Kyuhyun stared at Heechul questioningly. “Heechul wha—what’s happening?”

“You must go now, Kyuhyun.” The red headed guy simply said. “I’ll take care of this nuisance.”

Nevertheless, even without that order, Kyuhyun already turned his back towards them and face the door once again. He held the knob and was glad that he can now twist it counterclockwise. He pushed it forward and felt his breath got stucked on his throat as the familiar sight of the midnight black tiles registered his vision. White lavatory, dirty white cubicles and the dim lights of the comfort room welcomed him on the other side of the door.

But what caught his eyes is the man standing in front of one of the lavatory looking at him with wide eyes too. His hair was still the same familiar mop of raven and his eyes were still deep ash black. However, Kyuhyun noticed also the darker bags under his eyes, and it seems like he grew slimmer this time. Kyuhyun slowly walked towards Jongwoon with careful step, measuring his expression and reaction at the same. “Jongwoon.” He whispered lowly.

Jongwoon stared at him for a second before hatred color his eyes. “What are you doing here?” He asked through gritted teeth. Kyuhyun felt so much strong emotion from the guy in front of him; he felt his knees shook from fear of rejection, his hands felt numb and cold out of nervousness. “Why are you here?” He barked.

“Jongwoon,” He said softly, as softly as he could since he was still a little bit out of breath, before stepping forward to hold Jongwoon closely to him but he was still unable since the latter has his left hand extended forward. “Jongwoon, please just listen to me. I’m sorry for what have I done. It’s inexcusable—.”

“You’re sorry?” Jongwoon whispered unbelievably as he kept on staring at him with wide eyes. “You left me on that ing hospital for goodness sake. And now you’re back and sorry because of that?” Kyuhyun inched a little bit forward but this time; waking up from his reverie, Jongwoon pushed him backward harshly. “Don’t touch me!” He hissed.

But Kyuhyun didn’t give up. He forced himself more to Jongwoon as he held the latter’s hand with him. “I’m sorry. I know it seems terrible but I have my reasons—.”

However, just like him, Jongwoon was not listening to whatever it is that he was saying. “A phone call, that’s what you said, but then after that you didn’t came back.” Then he fixed his eyes towards Kyuhyun’s waiting ones. “Didn’t you know that nobody hurt me as much as you did?”

“I know and I’m sorry but Jongwoon please listen. I have my reason—.”

“You don’t know anything about me and the things that make me happy.” Jongwoon said and Kyuhyun could very much feel the frustration on his voice.

“I’m so sorry, Jongwoon, I’m so—.” He got cut off when someone came in and if it wasn’t for the chain bracelet that was hanging on his arm, Kyuhyun would think that the guy was just a visitor at the Hotel. And so without thinking, he threw a punch on the guy’s direction and immediately, due to force that he emitted, the guy fell limply on the tiled-floor.

 “Kyuhy—what did you do?” He heard Jongwoon whispered from behind him. He looked back before rushing back to his side. “Kyuhyun what have you done? What are you doing? What’s going on?”

“Don’t mind him.” He explained while pointing the fallen guy. “He’s—he’s one of them. Jongwoon they’re after us.” He forced the older guy to look at him but Jongwoon remained looking at the stranger. “They are here for us.” When he said those last words, Jongwoon finally looked up at him with furrowed forehead.

“What?” He asked under his breath.

“Look Jongwoon, I know you love me, and, and I love you too.” He looked around and found the black notebook lying beside the body of the guy that he punched. He hurriedly picked it up before turning back to Jongwoon. “See, see this. It states that we shouldn’t be together and that we shouldn’t have fallen in love with one another but we did, we did Jongwoon.” He tried to make things clear but with the reaction of the guy standing in front of him; it clearly says that he doesn’t get anything. “That’s why they are after us. They will take you away from me; they are not ordinary people, they are powerful and they could do anything that they wanted.

“And now that I’m telling you all this, they are after me not just because I keep on following you but now, it’s because they will reprogram me.” He finalized. He wished, he desperately wished that Jongwoon will understand him because there is not much time.

“Wh-why would they reprogram you Kyuhyun? What does that even mean?” Jongwoon asked and it seems like he was in a daze. He keeps on looking back and forth from Kyuhyun to the guy who was lying unconsciously on the floor.

Kyuhyun walked towards the door and locked it before running back towards the still frozen Jongwoon. “It means that they will reset me, they will take all my memories away; that is the deal I made with them in return of not telling those information to other people.” Then he started looking around in search for another door.

“But you told me?” Jongwoon concluded hesitantly.

“Because you have the right to know, Jongwoon.” He stared directly at Jongwoon’s eyes. “You’re the other half of this whole ordeal, and I’m sorry for not telling you all this before.” He said before pulling Jongwoon towards the door of the storage room. “Come now, we need to escape.”

When Jongwoon saw the direction that they were taking he was suddenly confused at what Kyuhyun was about to do. “Wait, escape? But, to the storage room? Kyuhyun, I’m confused.” He whispered, unsure of the things suddenly happening around him.

Kyuhyun twisted the knob counterclockwise twice with the thought of anywhere but near this establishment and when they exited the room, they both found themselves standing in an empty stadium somewhere still in Korea.

“What the hell?” Jongwoon said in awe. “What’s happening? What’s this? Where are we?”

But Kyuhyun was already busy looking around the place for another door. “Door, door! Look for another door, Jongwoon—Ah there!” He pulled Jongwoon once again towards the other door which this time leads them to the city square. There were so many people bumming around and Kyuhyun grew more anxious every time he would see someone looking at them suspiciously.

They ran across the street aiming for another door. Winds slapped them on the face as their breathing become more rugged, their feet almost dragging them in an aimless motion.

They were about to reach the door when he felt his grasped with Jongwoon slowly slip until it completely disappear; he looked back only to see the confused expression of the other. “Kyuhyun, how did we… how can we do that?”

All Kyuhyun wanted to do was to answer him and clear everything out. However, as he open his mouth to speak, a group of men came rushing towards the both of them and it wouldn’t really take anyone more than five seconds to understand who they are. “No time. I’ll explain later.” That and he grabbed Jongwoon once again.

After exiting the door once again, they found themselves under the Statue of Liberty which made Jongwoon felt numb; like cold water was poured down on him. ‘How did they just…?’

“Ah..” He breathed out nervously, “Kyuhyun, how the hell did we do that! What’s happening, I cannot understand anything.” He said as he clutched his head in both side; trying so hard to make sense of everything around them. “How can…”

“Alright, alright I’m sorry.” The younger said in a hush tone. This might indeed be a big confusion in Jongwoon’s part since it was all happening so suddenly. He reached for Jongwoon’s hand which was still placed on his head. He leaned a little and rests his head with Jongwoon’s. “I’m sorry if we keep on doing this but I cannot stay still when I know that they will come and will take you away from me. I won’t pretend that they will have mercy and let us go.”

“But why did they care so much about us?”

“Look, they said that you will have a better future if I’m not with you. The only thing left with you in the future; you won’t be able to do that if I’m beside you and that’s why I left you on that hospital many nights ago.” Jongwoon stared at him incredulously. “But, but this is not right, if we keep running we’ll never find peace in here.” Then slowly he detached himself from Jongwoon and walked towards the other door on their left adjacent to the one they came in with.

“But Jongwoon, I’m sorry because up until now I’m not taking into consideration your decision. I dragged you out here without knowing if you wanted all this or not. And so,” He stared back at the door behind him before looking back at Jongwoon. “I could go into this door alone; you will never see me or those guys that are after us. You will live in peace and have that better future or you could come with me. I may sound selfish but, I don’t care whatever happens as long as I have you beside me then I’m fine.”

Silence envelopes them and minutes passed by like winds with knife on it. Kyuhyun felt his confidence crumbled down into pieces when he saw wariness flashed the other’s feature. Little by little, Kyuhyun walked backwards towards the door with his eyes still placed on Jongwoon. ‘At least he will have a peaceful life ahead of him…’

“Wait.” Jongwoon called out as he was about to turn away. His husky voice filling in Kyuhyun’s ears. “I’ll come with you.”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened at that. “You—?”

“You said that they were after you since the day we saw each other at the train. And looking back, you were always restless whenever we were together and you’re always hesitant to let me go alone. Is it because you’re afraid that we might not see each other again?”

Kyuhyun’s hand flew to scratch the back of his head as he ashamedly stayed quiet; not answering the question thrown at him. He tucked his free hand on his jean pocket and lowers his gaze down. Then he nodded.

“I’m sorry I didn’t know. I should’ve helped you but I didn’t know. You’ve been doing this for so long now and you’re doing it alone. That’s why this time, let me help you carry half of it. Kyuhyun?” Jongwoon stepped a bit closer to Kyuhyun and waited for the other to accept him but the other didn’t made him wait longer for Kyuhyun already reached for him and tugged him before hugging Jongwoon tightly.

The younger shook his head against the crown of Jongwoon’s head as he envelopes him tightly with his hug. “You don’t have to be sorry. You don’t have to.” He whispered. Just being with you is enough. Just knowing that you wanted to be with me too is enough to erase all my insecurities.

They stayed like that for a minute when the door they came out a while ago suddenly burst open revealing unknown looking faces. Kyuhyun’s eyes grew wide as he immediately grabbed Jongwoon’s hand and darted towards the door behind him. The next thing they knew, they were already inside an establishment that they both find unfamiliar. But as Kyuhyun stared at the people around them; their familiar clothing, their knowing gaze and the chain bracelet hanging in their white wrist made the younger realize what was happening.

“The one who wrote it; the chairman…” He said more to himself.

The crowds present in the scene were starting to question their access in the building as they moved closer towards them. “Kyuhyun what did you say?” Jongwoon hissed as he tried to look over the younger’s shoulder in search for a door they could use to escape. “What are you doing? Come on.”

However, Kyuhyun pulled him forward as they charged towards the crowds, surprising the latter with their sudden action. “We have to find the chairman. We have to let him know that he’s wrong when he decided to redo our fate!” He shouted above the noise of the whistling wind blowing past them.

“Hey! You’re not supposed to be here.” Someone shouted from behind them but they did not bother to look back anymore as the voice also got ruffled from the whistling wind.

“Door. Door.” Kyuhyun said to warn Jongwoon that he saw an incoming door and was about to enter it. When he did, he felt the older guy followed him immediately but he still looked behind to confirm it and smiled when he saw the curious face of Jongwoon.

He looked ahead and frowned when he noted that they were still inside the building; like the bracelet suddenly stopped working. Just keep moving upward. His instinct told him. And so he did.

He pulled Jongwoon and took the flight of stair upward not thinking of anything but seeing this chairman to end all of this once and for all. They ce again, enter doors after one another, took stairs after stairs but they never cease on running, not until they got the chance to fight for something they should be the one deciding. And finally, after what seems like a thousand years of searching, they reached a hallway with a door standing on its end and without any more second thoughts, they both run towards it.

Hand in hand and never letting go of one another.

But what surprised them the most is that, upon entering the door, it leads them to the least place they expected to see. The rooftop. They could tell that they were still at the same building but Kyuhyun expected to see something other than the rooftop. Across from them, there was still a single door standing; waiting to be opened but Kyuhyun felt something wrong and so he decided to turn back to enter the same door but as soon as they did, men in black coat and hat blocks the hallway; walking towards the door. He hurriedly reached for it and closed it with a bang before turning towards the other. “Let’s run.” He said in a rush that he, himself, couldn’t understand his own words. But as if feeling the same tension, Jongwoon moved as he got pulled once again by the younger.

They entered the other door which leads them to a staircase with a door standing on its other end. Without wasting for another second, they dashed towards it; thinking that a safe haven is finally waiting for them only to be disappointed in the end when the door leads them once again on the rooftop. They were stuck.

They were trapped.

There is no other way out but the other door on the other end of the rooftop which is where they were standing a while back. And the door on it was already getting knocked down by the people who are trying to get in. They turned back once again but those men in black coat were already standing in their way.

He grasped Jongwoon’s hand tightly—tighter—afraid of what the future might bring. “Oh gods.” He heard Jongwoon said desperately. Kyuhyun pushed him at the corner before standing in front of him; shielding him in the process. “Kyuhyun!” Jongwoon hissed.

Kyuhyun turned back to him slightly, face full of stress and eyes were covered with bags underneath. They both have a rugged breathing. But he smiled the smile that Jongwoon liked most and when they locked eyes with one another, Jongwoon thought he had never looked more handsome. “I can’t let them hurt you.” Kyuhyun said in a whisper. Then in just a blink of an eye, he turned towards Jongwoon before making their lips touch one another for what could be the last time.

The sensation brought both of them back on that certain night, back on the restroom, leaning casually on the cold lavatory; back on the days before all of this happened, before they started worrying about the smallest of thing around them. The kiss felt nostalgic, as it grew deeper, Kyuhyun forced himself to remember all of this even after they’re done reprogramming him. He knew that it is impossible but he wished, he wished so hard for the impossible to become, at least just for once, possible.

Seconds passed by and they have to let each other go to breathe in some air but upon looking around, the men in black coats were already gone. Only the familiar face of Sungmin welcomed them as he stood at the very middle of the concrete staring at them lightly.

“See? No matter what you do it will definitely lead you to nothing.” He said as a form of ‘hello.’

Kyuhyun’s forehead creased as he continued standing in front of Jongwoon; hands still locked with one another. “Heechul…?” He asked.

Sungmin’s flawless faced contoured a bit at the mention of the name. “Hmph.” He spat. “If the reinforcements didn’t arrive you would’ve been successful with all this bull.” He said disgustingly. “But now look, you’re cornered with nowhere to run to. I’m sorry but this will have to end here right now.”

Kyuhyun could practically feel the seriousness in his voice as he said that. He shook his head in disagreement, he still has to see the chairman and talk to him!

“Do you really think you could reach the chairman? And what then, talk to him? Ask him to stop whatever it is that he’s doing? Then walk off on your own? Do you think you could do that? You cannot, human, and I’ll tell you wh—.”

“Sungmin-ssi.” When the said guy looked up at the guy who spoke his forehead creased in pure confusion. “For you.” That before handling him a notebook in which he opened gingerly.

“Hyukjae.” Kyuhyun said under his breath. Jongwoon looked back at them in confusion but kept all his question to himself. Intending to ask them later to Kyuhyun.

“I understand.” Sungmin said in disappointment after reading the content of the notebook for a while before looking back and forth to Kyuhyun and Hyukjae before slowly walking away from them. He walks deliberately; with full of bitterness and furiousness.

Kyuhyun approached the blonde haired guy without letting Jongwoon go as he asked Hyukjae questions through his eyes. “Even Sungmin-ssi has a boss too.” The blonde said.

“What do you mean by that?” Kyuhyun asked. “Y-you’re the chairman?!”

But Hyukjae only snorted. “Of course not. But you met him already. I’m sure of it. He came in different form for every single one of you. He could be anyone right now down there.” Then he looked pointedly down the building. ”It happens every day, you meeting someone you don’t know I mean, that you rarely realize that the one you’re talking to is the chairman himself—or her.”

“So-so what is this? Are we off the hook now?” Kyuhyun asked curiously. “Is this some kind of a test?”

 “I don’t know.” Hyukjae shrugged. “Maybe not. Maybe yes. But you have to know one thing.” He said as he raised his forefinger in action. “Everything is a test for everyone. Maybe you’re right. Maybe this could be a test for you, on how long you could fight for him.” Then he looked pointedly towards Jongwoon. “Or this could also be a test for us, on how long we could be faithful to him but if it is; then I surely fail this test.

“But look on the bright side. Didn’t we all learn something from this?” Hyukjae smiled. “In fact we’ve learned far more great things than we could imagine. And,” Then he stepped closer with a smile painting his lips. “The chairman also learned something from you, guys. Because if he didn’t, then he wouldn’t give you the only thing that you wanted so much.”

“What?” Jongwoon whispered from his right.

“Your freedom.”

He literally felt his heart leaps with joy upon hearing that. “Really?! Th-that’s all it takes? We’re really off the hook?”

Hyukjae rolled his eyes for fake repulsion but the smile on his face said so otherwise. “Yes, you see Kyuhyun. What inspire him most is when you decided to go look for him just to be with Jongwoon-ssi. Both of you, you inspired him. You see, his relationship with humans is active. You will not just learn from him but even he could learn from you. And you both thought him that no one is great enough to control else’s perspective. And I congratulate you for that.”

“Aren’t you done yet?” Suddenly, the thing that Kyuhyun thought as a gargoyle moved from its position on looking ahead the blue sky. It turned towards them and once again bore his eyes towards Kyuhyun and instantly, the younger realized who he was supposed to be looking at.

“Heechul, what are you doing there?! I thought you were caught?”

But the red headed guy scoffed at his reaction. “Who would dare touch me? They’re nothing but lowly lives living under our powers.”

Hyukjae butted in. “In short, those were not the reinforcements but rather his team, linking him about what had happened.”

“Yeah, yeah. And here I thought you were still inside that dark prison looking all pathetic as you always did. Then that next thing I knew you were already out and is holding the chairman’s order about those two idiots.”

“Hey! –.” Kyuhyun was about to speak some more but the annoying red headed guy spoke once again.

“Come on, come on. I’m getting tired of this.”

He felt Hyukjae reached for him and before he knew it, the chain bracelet was already removed from his wrist. “I guess I’ll be taking this back, Kyuhyun.” He said before slipping the bracelet on its rightful position.

They watched as he walked towards Heechul and both released their beautiful set of grey wings before setting off away from them; bickering as always. “Whoah.” He heard Jongwoon said under his breath. “I think I’ll have nightmares about this.”

Kyuhyun couldn’t help the bubble of laughter as they escape his throat. He felt giddy after all that happened; one moment they were desperate to escape but now things have finally gone back to the way they should be. He turned around and enveloped Jongwoon in a bone crushing hug. “It’s done right?” Jongwoon said against his shoulder.

And Kyuhyun could only nod to answer. He placed a kiss on the older guy’s forehead as they both faced the now clearing sky. The rain stopped and he didn’t know when but who cares? As long as he’s home then nothing else matters. The wind blew past them but neither of them shivers and no question should be raised for that, everyone should know the reason.

There were still dark clouds looming but at least the sky was clear enough for them to see the warm sun; but Kyuhyun wonders, the sky, will it stay clear like this forever?

 

 

 

He’ll see.

 


 

Author’s Note:

Word Count: 11, 840 excluding all my blabbing.

I’m sorry if it’s long and late. I’ll post the epilogue sooner or later. Finally! The story is over and yeah, thank you for all those who waited, who subscribed and commented for every chapter that I post. So for the last time, please leave a comment or two behind and let me know what you think about this. Sorry if the ending disappoints you but this was really the plan.

For the epilogue – don’t expect too much, okay? This’ll focus more about the pending problem our main characters have. So it might be a little angsty.