Chapter 05: Just to See You

'Cause They Could See Us

“Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”

-Kahlil Gibran

 

 

 

Kyuhyun stared at the rain as it covers everything that it touches.

The gloomy ambience it brought with it adds up to how he felt at the moment, he raised his arm to push the curtains aside when the bracelet placed on his left arm dangled for the slightest bit. He sighed.

Hyukjae’s gone and he doesn’t know where to look for him. He glanced at the small table placed just beside his bed; he was currently in his flat because the rain suddenly poured, where the letter was hidden safely. He will definitely find a way to save that guy; he will not let Hyukjae rot wherever he might be at the moment. At these circumstances, how could he enjoy the things around him if he knew that someone is suffering because of him? Hyukjae knew so well that Kyuhyun’s a human and that sooner or later, guilt might swallow him whole.

He sighed once again.

“You’re worried about something?”

Kyuhyun unintentionally smiled at the question asked. Really, no matter how tight his situation is, just hearing him was enough to make him forget all of it. He turned his back towards the floor-to-ceiling window before facing Jongwoon who was standing by the entrance of his handkerchief sized kitchen. Kyuhyun smiled at his questioning gazed before walking towards him and caging the smaller guy in his embrace. He sighed yet again.

He buried his face on the crook of Jongwoon’s neck for some comfort. Lately, he has been feeling so down; he felt so tired. He sighed but this time, because of the comfort of the heat that the other was emitting. Kyuhyun felt small hands patting his back and he couldn’t help but to relax some more; he smiled against Jongwoon’s neck before facing the other.

Their eyes met and Kyuhyun wonders how could this be wrong? He brought his hand up to Jongwoon’s face before caressing it, “I’m not worried about anything, why would I be when you’re here?”

Jongwoon smirked at that before slapping him slightly on the forearms. “Really?” He asked mockingly after detaching himself from the possessive hold of Kyuhyun and then walks straight to the dining table. “Anyway, here’s your hot chocolate. Drink it while it’s hot.”

They were at the park when the rain started pouring so suddenly and since Kyuhyun’s flat was nearer to their location than Jongwoon’s, they decided that maybe they should wait for the rain to cease at his flat. At first, Jongwoon suggested that maybe they should go on with their schedule for the day so that they could have longer time to meet up later but of course, who in the right mind will let this guy go, knowing that it might take years again to see him?

“Really!” Kyuhyun said for his defense. He sipped lightly on the hot chocolate, “You’re good at this.” He commented as he lifted the mug for emphasis. “So, how’s your coffee shop? I’m sorry I wasn’t able to come at the grand opening.” His gaze slid down out of conscience. “I’m sorry too if I wasn’t able to contact you.” He added in whisper.

“Ah, Mouse Rabbit? It’s doing fine oh that reminds me, why didn’t you call me?” Jongwoon replied as he pouted. He stood by at the counter; the farthest place from Kyuhyun’s position on the table. “Huh! And you even asked me for my number but then in the end, it serves as one of your contacts in that phone of yours.”

Kyuhyun sighed. How should he explain this? He cannot tell him the real reason or those guys might come for him and reprogram him in the end. He is prepared to do anything, anything even if it's not within his power just so he will not forget Jongwoon.

He will never forget Jongwoon.

He was about to open his mouth when his phone rang and Kibum's name registered on the screen. ‘Damn, the board meeting.’ He immediately picked his phone before answering. “Hello –”

“Sir, where are you?” Said a very flustered Kibum.

“Kibum, I have to cancel the meeting that was scheduled for today; I just met Jongwoon again. Move the speech as well. I will not go to the office for the day.” He simply replied before hanging the phone without waiting for Kibum’s reply.

“Wait – wait what?” Jongwoon said when Kyuhyun stared back at him. “Wait, Kyuhyun. Did you just cancel your meeting?” He then stood up before grabbing his bag that was placed on the table. “You don’t have to, I’ll just go.”

Kyuhyun stood up as well. “No, no it’s okay. I already did.” But when Jongwoon continued fixing his things Kyuhyun held him on his arms. “Jongwoon, I said its okay.”

“No really, really. Just call me; I haven’t changed my number since the last time. Just call me whenever you have the time.” Jongwoon said firmly.

“Jongwoon listen.” Kyuhyun said as he blocked the exit before taking the bag from the hands of the older guy. “I wasn’t able to call you because I lost my phone. Okay? I lost it with my wallet and I put the paper in my wallet just before it was taken away from me.

I even go to the extent of searching you on Google© and there were like three thousands or more results but none of them were you.” Kyuhyun explained. “I’m really sorry if I wasn’t able to contact you when I promised I would.”

Kyuhyun stared at Jongwoon as the latter did so to. Slowly, a smile broke out of Jongwoon’s face before changing his expression to a serious one. “So, Kyuhyun-ssi, what makes you think that I already fell for you? What if I don’t really like you? What if I already have someone I love?”

“Do… do you already like someone?” Kyuhyun hesitated. ‘Is this the reason why Jongwoon is hesitating? Does he have someone he liked already? Am I too late?’

“Hmm… Actually, I do.” And with that simple answer, Kyuhyun’s hand slowly slid down from his hold on Jongwoon’s arm. And to him, it seems like Jongwoon haven’t even saw that. The older moved away from him before occupying one of the seats around the dining table. “You see, I liked him for a very long time now…”

Every words stab Kyuhyun that he already felt like not listening anymore. But just like the first time, no matter how hard Kyuhyun slapped himself, his body won’t still listen to him. “Ahahaha!” Jongwoon laughed out loud as if he remembered something really funny that Kyuhyun can’t help himself but to smile at the view. “The thing is that I met him at most unexpected time and place that neither of us anticipated. Two years ago…”

Two years…?’

“I dared myself to crash a very important party, it was my friend’s actually and it was held at Seoul.” Then slowly he smiled at Kyuhyun. “Then when I was caught, I hid at the men’s room until a very frustrated guy entered.”

“Then that’s…?”

“Who else?” Jongwoon asked sarcastically. He rolled his eyes before shrugging his shoulder. “Seems like you don’t have any faith in me, huh?”

Kyuhyun jumped towards him before pulling him into a tight hug. “What the –?!” He even heard Jongwoon hissed out of surprised. “Kyuhyun! Ohhmph.. ummff –!!” The latter’s word got muffled when Kyuhyun tightened the hug.

“Is that really me? Is it me, the one you liked?”

When Jongwoon successfully escaped his hug, he playfully glared at the tall guy. “Really? Who else was there at that time? The cubicles? The lavatory?” He asked mockingly.

Kyuhyun laughed so hard that he felt like he was in cloud nine already. The situation is so perfect that he can’t really understand why there are so many people against them. “I love you, too.” He sincerely said. Slowly, their laugh died down and only their heavy breathing could be heard. It seems like the weather also calmed down a little bit outside but setting all those aside, Kyuhyun could only stare at Jongwoon’s almond shape eyes…

“Kyuhyu—“

*Riinggggg!!!*

They were both startled when Jongwoon’s phone released a very loud noise cutting the shorter guy to whatever it is that he was about to say. “Oh, sorry it’s too loud.”

Kyuhyun laughed a little. “Really, why would you set a very loud ringtone for your phone?” He commented as he let Jongwoon go search for his mobile phone.

“Oh, yeah, so I could find it without difficulty, I could easily forget small things like this, you know?” After reading the text message Jongwoon cursed immediately. “Damn.”

“What is it?” Kyuhyun asked. He was standing now by the window staring outside. Something’s not right, he could feel it. “Something came up?”

“Ah, yeah. I forgot that I have to meet up with Jongjin later.” Jongwoon said as he walked towards Kyuhyun’s direction; settling beside him as he too peeks through the window. “Woah, at least the rain already stopped.”

“You’re leaving?”

Jongwoon stared at him in ridicule, “Of course. I have to meet up with my brother, we both planned this out yesterday. We have to check new menu for our café.” He explained. Kyuhyun looked at him directly at his eyes.

This is not something that those freaks planned, right?’

He was about to talked back when his door opened revealing Kibum’s face. “Sir.”

“Kibum?” Kyuhyun was so startled that he didn’t know what to do. “What—what are you doing here?” Kibum was breathing heavy and some of his locks were dripping wet. Jongwoon immediately excused himself to grab some towels from the lavatory.

“Sir, I’m sorry but the board members were calling for a sudden meeting. And they’re requiring you to attend.” Kibum said. “Sir, they will have the meeting in thirty minutes.”

“Kibum I—.”

“Go, Kyuhyun.” A husky voice from behind him said. Kyuhyun turned around to face Jongwoon who was holding a towel in his hand.

“No, Jongwoon its okay, I’ll just stay here for today.” Then he faced Kibum who was staring at him unbelievably. “Kibum tell them that we’ll have the—.”

“Sir, you don’t understand! It’s not just a simple meeting; it is an emergency meeting because the company was starting to suffer –.”

“It’s okay, Kibum I said. I’ll handle that tomorrow.” Kyuhyun stared at Jongwoon. He can’t let this happen, he know that someone was doing this. He peeked once again outside to look for some suspicious guy but he found none. “Just set the meeting at the same place tomorrow early morning.”

“But – .”

“Where will be the meeting place, Kibum-ssi?”

“It will be held once again at the Seoul’s Grand Hotel, that’s why sir it will be hard to cancel it all at once.”

“Ah perfect.” Jongwoon faced the questioning look of Kyuhyun. “Jongjin and I will meet up at the café just across that building. We could meet up once again after that if you want.”

Kyuhyun’s forehead creased. “Really?”

“Yes. So now, why don’t you start preparing?”

 


 

“Mr. Cho.”

Upon hearing his name being called, Kyuhyun automatically stopped from walking out of the hall. He glanced back at one of the board members that called his name. “Mr. Cho.” Mr. Lee said.

“Ah Mr. Lee. What is it that I could do for you?”

“No, President. I just wanted to tell you that you did a good job once again.” The old man said as he slowly bowed his head towards Kyuhyun. There goes another company problem that he successfully closed and not to mention fast which gives him more time to prepare since Jongwoon, by this time, might still be with Jongjin since he said that they will meet up at exactly 7:30 PM and then after that; he and Kyuhyun could meet up at the same location.

“But sir, the head of the board wanted to extend the meeting with you. He said to tell you that he wanted to meet up with you personally since Mr. Park wanted to talk with you something in private.”

“Ah, but I already have an appointment after this, my schedule was full already.” He said as he turned his back towards the old man knowing that he will still follow him. “Tell him I’ll accommodate his request tomorrow.”

“Sir, let’s go?” Kibum appeared from out of nowhere with a black notebook placed on his hand. “Mr. Park said that –.”

But Kyuhyun wasn’t listening; he was looking through the glass and into the café shop in front of the building. It was small in size that’s why he could see the inside of it even if he is standing from across the street. He glanced at his wrist watch…

It was already 7:34 yet they weren’t in the café still. Where are they?’

He walked pass Kibum and Mr. Lee before exiting the building. It wasn’t raining now but the sky was still dark; he continued staring at the café but he saw no sign of Jongwoon. He looked around ignoring Kibum as the latter kept on trying to catch his attention.

“Sir Kyuhyun, where are you going?”

He runs around the place but still no sign of Jongwoon. It was getting dark and they should already be here by now. He was on that position when something shiny hit his eyes that startled him. He focused his attention on that particular place trying to make something out of it.

He was on that position when a silhouette of a guy that he hasn’t seen before stared back at him with a serious look painting his face. His way of standing and his clothes were familiar with Kyuhyun; he definitely saw that outfit before. The guy slowly lifted his left hand to fix his hat; lowering it down until it covers his eyes. But aside from that, one more thing that caught Kyuhyun’s attention was the chain bracelet that was hugging the guy's thin wrist that keeps on shining whenever the last ray of the sunlight hits it which is what keeps on hitting him on the face.

He glanced down at his wrist and stare at the bracelet that was hanging idly on his arm. It was the same.

Immediately, he took out his phone before contacting Jongwoon’s number. ‘Sorry, but the number you dialed is out of coverage. Please try again later.’

*Beep, Beep, Beep*

He tried once again but he couldn’t really get through. He walked towards the direction of the café shop but Kibum blocked his way; startling him in the process. “Sir, where are you going?” He asked monotonously.

“Kibum, you know that I have a meeting with Jongwoon, why are you still asking?” Kyuhyun said; irritated. “Now get out of my way.”

Kibum sighed. “Kyuhyun,” With that, Kyuhyun ceased on walking. Kibum never called him like that except if whenever they had nights out together. He has been with Kibum since they were young and the latter never called him like that since he started working under him. This is the first time after five years. “I’m telling you this as a friend, but can’t you see? Ever since you met Jongwoon you’ve been neglecting other things that are needed to be your priority.”

As the meaning of Kibum’s words started to sink down on his mind, Kyuhyun immediately shook off Kibum’s hold on him before facing his secretary completely. “Don’t talk about Jongwoon like that.” He said patiently but his tone said so otherwise. “You don’t know what’s happening with us right now. You don’t know anything so don’t talk like that.” He said firmly.

“Kyuhyun, look, I’m not saying that – listen, I’m not even saying that – “

“No, no Kibum.” Kyuhyun said as he moved away from Kibum and towards the café shop. “You just said it. I wasn’t born yesterday; I know what you meant with your words.” That and he walked away from him and towards the café shop. He opened the door and started looking around but there’s really no sign of Jongwoon. People started whispering and he even heard someone whispered his name; some even started taking pictures of him.

What the hell is their problem?’  He thought.

“Excuse me.” He said but no one listened; they kept on whispering and taking pictures. “Excuse me!” Kyuhyun shouted. When the noise ceased he smiled thankfully to them. “Does anyone know Mouse Rabbit?” He asked. “Anyone? Mouse Rabbit, have you heard it before?”

No one was speaking. ‘Damn, damn, damn.’

“I do.” Someone from the crowd said. “I tried their coffee once before.”

“That’s good.” He whispered. Kyuhyun walked towards him before asking him for directions.

 


 

He hurriedly run towards the bus stop but upon seeing the scheduled time posted on the directory saying that it is still thirty minutes before the next bus will arrived, he couldn't help himself but to cursed out loud. He tried hitching for a taxi but no one is stopping to give him a ride. “Hey! Hey stop!—hey, wait!” But no one was listening.

“You know, that’s very futile.” A deep voice said from behind him. He expected Heechul or someone that he saw before but when he turned around, a guy with golden brown hair was sitting on the bench. He was looking around, as if he was waiting for the bus; as if he was just looking at the weather. The guy was sitting with his legs crossed with one another and he was holding a black notebook lightly. It was as if they were just strangers talking about the weather.

“It’s you, isn’t?” Kyuhyun said. “You’re doing all this.” He stated instead of asking.

The guy smiled at him, golden brown orbs meeting his dark ones. “You may call me Sungmin. Lee Sungmin.” He stood up from his seat before walking straight to Kyuhyun’s side. “How are you doing, Kyuhyun-ssi? Why don’t we just walk around for a while? I heard t—.”

“Stop it. Whatever you’re doing stop it.” Kyuhyun hissed. “Whatever you do I will find him, you understand?” He said as he tried to hitch a ride once again but no matter what he does, taxis weren’t stopping.

He heard a giggle from the guy standing behind him. “Really? You’ll find him? How; when you can’t even get a ride to reach the guy?” Kyuhyun glared at Sungmin as the latter laugh unstoppably. Sungmin inched closer as he stared at Kyuhyun directly in the eyes. “I heard that the nature was with you and that’s the main reason why you kept on meeting that guy.” He said as he smirked. “I also heard that, the new guy, Hyukjae was his name, I think, was assigned to this case but unfortunately he failed.”

He simpers before sniffling in a very fake manner that makes Kyuhyun wanted to puke.

“Who, I wonder, did that? From what I heard, he lost the freedom to feel the beauty of the things around us. In other words, in YOUR words, human,” and he said that as if he was disgusted even with the thought of humans breathing the same air as he did. “He was imprisoned and will never saw light again because of the mistake that he did of helping you and your friend.”

Imprisoned? Just because he helped us? Isn’t that too much?’

“No, it’s not. That suits him.” To Kyuhyun’s surprised, Sungmin replied. “Meddling on the things that he shouldn’t, hmmph; that only proves that he’s not worth of the trust that Heechul-ssi gave him.”

“You can… you can read my mind?”

Sungmin smirked at that. “Guess Hyukjae wasn’t able to tell you that, huh? Think of a number.” Without thinking long; number thirteen automatically registered in his mind, the number that he is so fond of.

“Thirteen, right? Now, think of a color.” Sungmin ordered once again.

Blue.’ Kyuhyun thought as his answer.

Once again, Sungmin smirked and even before he could voiced out his surmise, Kyuhyun have already read the first movement of his lips. “Blue.”

Kyuhyun was about to retort back when the bracelet that was placed on his thin wrist dangled a bit; bringing him back to reality.  He pulled back his sleeves downward a little bit more to hide the bracelet before dashing across the street.

“What the—?” He heard the other guy said; clearly surprised to his sudden movement.

He felt his feet moves faster as he thought of Hyukjae, of Jongwoon and of the words that Hyukjae wrote on the letter. Until now, until now that guy was still helping him and this was the first time Kyuhyun thought that being a human was such a nuisance.

He pushed some of the bystanders that were standing (and some were even blocking him) on the sidewalk. If he was not yet aware of creatures like Sungmin, Heechul, Hyukjae and the others then he will thought that all of this were nothing but a coincidence but now, he knew better. He felt the cold wind brushed him from head up to his toes as he run towards the next block to hitch some ride but suddenly a woman pushing a stroller appeared in front of him that Kyuhyun have no more choice but to stop running to avoid bumping the mother and her child.

“You really think that I’ll let you do whatever you want?” Sungmin said.

Kyuhyun turned around immediately and was shocked to see Sungmin standing no too close behind him but as he breathe heavily, Kyuhyun could also see that the latter was also the same. ‘He was running, I might as well keep this up.’

Sungmin hissed at him. “You really are a pain in the .”

But Kyuhyun didn’t retort back anymore as he pushed Sungmin away from him before running once again at his full speed. He rounded on the corner of the next block that he saw when this taxi suddenly stopped not too far away from him. “Hey!” he shouted. But as he run towards it, a white van suddenly came out of nowhere bumping the taxi from its left side causing for the latter vehicle to get stuck between the van and the wall from its right side. Shouts from different bystanders were heard on the background. “!” He involuntarily shouted.

“Hey get some help!” Some of the guys said.

“Call an ambulance!”

“Are they dead?”

“Just call for some help!”

What the hell’ Kyuhyun thought. ‘Just what the is that guy thinking?!’ He looked around but Sungmin was nowhere in sight.

Minutes later, sirens of the ambulance and of the police cars were heard and then everything happened so fast that the next thing Kyuhyun knew they were being interview by the police for their statements and Kyuhyun was starting to feel irritated by the same questions that the police were asking him. “Sir, you need to stay for a bit longer for your statement.” The police insisted when he said that he’s leaving.

“But I already told you what I saw, and aside from that, there’re many witnesses present in the area that has better view than I did.” He said; almost shouting.

“But sir, all of you were being inter—.”

“Okay, okay, I get it. You’re not one of them right?” Kyuhyun said as he pointed the other polices doing their thing. Without waiting for his reply, Kyuhyun walked away from him and towards a police woman that was standing next to the ambulance.

“Excuse me.” He said.

“Yes, sir?” The woman replied. “Are you in need of our attention as well?”

Kyuhyun immediately shook his head. “Ah, no. I just wanted to confirm something.” When the woman nodded, he continued. “Do you know that guy?” Then he pointed the place where the police that he was talking to a while ago was standing but much to his expectation, the guy was gone.

“Yes?” The woman asked in confusion.

“Ah, no, no, never mind.” He said before dashing off again. ‘Damn that guy.’ He looked down at his wrist watch and was surprised that it was already eight in the evening. ‘He must be waiting.’ He fished out his phone from his pocket before dialing Jongwoon’s number; just trying his luck that maybe this time he can get through.

*Ring…ring…ring*

And that’s the only thing that he wanted to hear. “Ah, Kyuhyun?”

“Jongwoon! Jongwoon, where are you?” He hastily asked. He just needed to know his location then he will definitely do anything to reach him.

“I’m at Mouse Rabbit. I’ve been trying to call you but the reception here wasn’t so good that’s why I can’t get through. Where are you?”

“Ahh – I’m at... –“

*Beep, beep, beep.*

“What the—. Hello? Jongwoon?” But no one answered. “.”

Kyuhyun hurriedly redialed Jongwoon’s number but before he could even hear the ring someone bumped him from behind before running away snatching his phone in the process. “Hey! Get back here!” Kyuhyun shouted. He immediately followed but Sungmin appeared in front of him with a force smile.

“You’ll stay here.” Sungmin said firmly. “Because the plan said so.” Kyuhyun smirked.

“You think I really care about that damned plan?”

Sungmin was about to talked back when he gasped out of surprised. His eyes rounded as he looked around them as if he was searching for something, or someone. Kyuhyun was planning to out run him again but suddenly, a yellow cab stopped in front of them and without thinking twice he almost jumped into it before ordering the driver to hit the road.

He glared at Sungmin but as he directed his glance at the other side of the road, he saw a flash of red and black and when he focused his attention on the silhouette that seems to be like hiding from the view of everyone; the familiar face of Kim Heechul welcomed him.

Voided with any form of sarcasm, Kim Heechul stared back at him.

 


 

Upon entering the Mouse Rabbit café, Kyuhyun was welcomed by the strong smell of coffee and cream. His eyes automatically searched for a certain guy with a mop of raven hair but all he could see are the customers that were peacefully having a cup of tea.

“Kyuhyun? You’re finally here.” Jongwoon said who appeared from behind the kitchen. “I’ve been trying to call you but I really can’t get through, so weird.” The last two words were said through a whisper.

Without thinking; the taller guy inched closer before pulling Jongwoon into a hug. Kyuhyun tightly closed his eyes as he felt the warmness that the smaller guy was emitting. ‘It’s okay, he’s here; he’s finally here.’ He assured himself.

“Woah there, are you okay?” Jongwoon asked but puts his hand on Kyuhyun’s back nonetheless.

Kyuhyun nodded against him as he smelled Jongwoon’s strong cologne with a mix of caramel coffee. “I’m fine; I just thought that I won’t see you again.”

Jongwoon lead him to a vacant table in a more private area so that they could talk more properly. “Won’t see me? That’s ridiculous, why would you think like that?” He called for one of the waiters and asked him to prepare them a coffee.

“Nothing.” Kyuhyun smirked. ‘Really, what am I thinking? I’ll just make him worry if I act like this in front him.’ “I just got worried when I didn’t see you at the café.” He explained. “And I can’t reach your phone as well that’s why I thought that it might take longer before I could see you again. You know, just like the first and second time I met you.” He said.

 Kyuhyun sighed. He really felt tired with all the running that he did a while ago and this is all Sungmin’s fault.

“Oh, Kyuhyun you dropped something.” Jongwoon said as he bent to picked up something by the foot of the chair that Kyuhyun was occupying. “Is this your wallet?”

He stared at the brown leathered wallet on Jongwoon’s hand. He could feel his heart drummed harder on his chest that he didn’t know what to do anymore. Should he feign innocence? Should he pretend that the wallet is not his? But what if Jongwoon opens it, he will be found out.

“Jongwoon that’s –.”

“It’s yours, right? I saw it fell from your pocket. Here.” Jongwoon stared at him innocently. Kyuhyun only stared at him in confusion. “Hey, why aren’t you taking it?”

Slowly, he reached for it; thanking Jongwoon in the process. “Aren’t you—?”

“Ah here’re the coffees.” When the waiter was done placing it down in front of them, Jongwoon stared again at him. “What’s that Kyuhyun? You’re about to say something, what’s that?”

“Jongwoon, aren’t you surprise that I have this?” He asked as he lifted his wallet a bit. The last time he checked, he could clearly remember he told Jongwoon that he lost his wallet together with his cell phone, so why isn’t he wandering?

Jongwoon laughed out loud at his question, as if the answer was already in front of him. “Why would I? Of course you have your own wallet, everyone does.” Then he sipped slightly on his coffee. “Unless of course, you told me that you lost it.” He added jokingly.

“Jongwoon, I did.” He replied monotonously.

Slowly, Jongwoon looked at him innocently; confusion coloring his eyes. “I don’t remember you saying anything.” He simply said. “Yeah, you didn’t.”

Kyuhyun stared at Jongwoon unbelievably. ‘Am I missing something?’

 


 

Author’s Note:

Sorry about the grammar mistakes.