Chapter 03: Difficulty Arises

'Cause They Could See Us

“Love knows not its own depth until the hour of its separation.”

-Kahlil Gibran

 

 

 

Hyukjae watched as Kyuhyun struggled from his position.

“You know what; I really don’t get it why you two keep on seeing each other?” Heechul said nonchalantly. “I mean, what’s with him that you can’t just let the guy go? You’re successful and everything and I really think that you don’t need someone like him –.”

“Stop it!” Kyuhyun shouted. Hyukjae flinched at the force of his voice and one would really feel how frustrated he is towards the effeminate man standing in front of him. If looks could kill then there will be no more Kim Heechul standing in the midst of the group. “How dare you ing say that? I asked you why you were after me but you keep on blabbering about Jongwoon…” Hyukjae stared at Kyuhyun more intently.

‘How could someone so angry spoke so softly suddenly?’ Hyukjae thought.

“…just ing answer my ing question.” Kyuhyun continued through gritted teeth.

Heechul’s laugh echoed in the premises. He even bent a little forward while clutching his stomach in effect. “Easy there; and I haven’t even started my story yet.”

“What do you want?” Kyuhyun monotonously asked.

By this, Hyukjae stepped forward bringing his notebook with him before showing it to the guy in subject. He will not wait anymore for his boss who keeps on provoking the young man to speak. Knowing that the other guy wouldn’t understand what it all meant he cleared his throat to explain. “You see, what happened last June 19, in the year 2013, was nothing but a coincidence.” Kyuhyun’s forehead creased even more. “What I mean is that, you shouldn’t really have met Kim Jongwoon by that time.”

He felt someone brushed him by his side and felt the force that slightly pushed him aside. “See?” He heard Heechul’s obnoxious voice boomed from beside him. “That’s what I meant by unnecessary. Your meeting with him is very much unneeded, not wanted.”

“Stop it –.”

“Why?” Hyukjae sighed. Heechul is starting. Why is it that his superior is someone as sadistic as this guy? “Why do you want me to stop, Cho Kyuhyun-ssi? You asked me what we are after, right? Well let me say this,” He said in a dull tone. “We want you to avoid Kim Jongwoon from now on, and whether you like it or not you will not see each other again because that was what the plan said. You will follow the plan.”

The blonde guy watch as horror washed through Kyuhyun’s face. “What – what do you mean?” He stuttered. “I – I can’t see him but why? Who are you to decide that for me?!” Then he started struggling out of his chair again but the invisible forces that keep on holding him down the chair never wavered. And as his answer, Heechul clapped his hand out of pure amusement and Hyukjae shook his head in disappointment.

“Hyung, please take this seriously.” He whispered.

“Shut up.” Heechul hissed back before turning back to Kyuhyun. “I’ve told you already, haven’t I? We are here to make sure that things will go the way they should be and YOU and your friend are going opposite the flow! You’ve been constantly, without a fail, giving us headaches.” He pointed around him and Kyuhyun followed his lead as the latter too watched as the other men who accompanied Heechul and his team arranged everything differently from what Kyuhyun had saw when he came in. “Want me to tell you more? According to the plan it is not you who was destined to be with that guy; according to the plan you should have not seen each other that time and if you did, just like what happened, then he is not destined to fall in love with you.”

“But –.”

“You have his number, right?” Heechul turned to look at Youngwoon who was standing by Kyuhyun’s side before nodding. “We have to get rid of that as well.”

Kyuhyun wasn’t able to avoid it anymore when someone as bulky as Youngwoon forcefully took out the piece of paper that has eleven digits in it. And as what they all could sense, the guy already has the number in his phone as well. After deleting the necessary information, Youngwoon slid next to Hyukjae who was just staring at the happenings before him before elbowing him on the ribs; Hyukjae looked at him questioningly.

“Say, why do you think that boss didn’t just simply erase the boy’s memory?” One thing about Youngwoon, he is an easy going guy that has many questions about almost everything around him. “It will be easier if he will just let the boy forget about all this then we will not have to go to the extent of explaining to him what we really are, right Hyukjae?” He’s right. At first that’s what Hyukjae also thought of doing but as he think about it even more he realize that the chairman, since he was the one who decided this, wants Kyuhyun to realize something more.

“Learning something is better if we are to learn it through the hard way especially if we are given choices that both could change the outcome of our situation; be it against us or with us.” Hyukjae simply said. 

Youngwoon stared at him confusedly. “Choices?” And as his answer, Hyukjae stared back at the conversing Heechul and Kyuhyun; the bulky guy followed him.

“One more thing, if you are to tell all of this to someone even to your closest friend, just one person, then we will come back for you and will not hesitate to reprogram your memory just like what we did to everyone here in your office." Heechul said lightly, as if he was just giving a comment about the weather.

“How will that affect him?” Youngwoon asked once again.

‘We’ll see.’ Hyukjae thought.

''Where the hell are you bringing me?'' Kyuhyun thrashed against the hold of the other men as they started to bring him with them. Hyukjae watched helplessly as the human tried to slip away from their grasp; he even inched a little bit closer secretly to warn them not to hold the captive tightly and that they are handling a mortal.

''Well, supposedly, you are to come in the office late because of a little accident.'' Then he looked pointedly at the blonde guy who, in his presence, remained poker face. ''We'll simply bring you back at the station then you may take it from there. Or you still want to have someone who will babysit you?'' He asked in mock sarcasm which only made Kyuhyun struggle more.

''No.. no, let go of me, you freaks!''

''Good answer.'' Heechul answered back. He walk towards the conference hall since that was what written on the wooden sign above the door before twisting the handle twice counterclockwise and upon opening the door, the sight of the train station welcomed Hyukjae and Kyuhyun once again.

''What the - .'' The blonde boy heard the mortal whispered.

''Well, good luck on you, Mr. CEO.'' Their leader said before pushing Kyuhyun forward and closing the door without waiting for the other to reply.

Hyukjae sighed as Heechul did the mantra again on the door but this time it leads them on the rooftop of the building; he knew that once they left the place, things will go back to the way they should be. He avoided the glances that Heechul were giving him and focused on tracking Kyuhyun in his mind. Somehow, he's having the feeling that he should look for the guy but he don't know why.

''Hyukjae are you listening?'' When the subject looked up and around the rooftop, he realized that the escorts were now gone and that it is just Youngwoon, Heechul and himself who were occupying the place.

''I... ahh, I'm sorry but what is it?'' He said in his most sincere voice.

Heechul sighed, his hair was getting ruffled a bit by the wind and Hyukjae could only find it harder to focus now on what he is about to say. He just didn't know that the next words of his superior will be enough to bring him out of his reverie. ''I said that you will not be handling this case anymore. It was already out of our hands, the chairman decided to give it to someone who was more capable of bringing those two apart.''

“What?”

 


 

Jongwoon stared at his mobile phone.

He kept on looking at it and waiting for something to come but he doesn’t know what. It's like someone should call him or at least send him a text message but he couldn't remember who or why.

''Hyung, still waiting for that call?'' He was startled when Jongjin's voice echoed right behind him. Jongwoon looked at him, puzzled. How should he answer that? Should he feign innocence? But if he would then why should he? But that is how he felt, he just feels like saying something that would make Jongjin forget about the topic for the moment.

But instead, he asked his younger brother for something that might make things clearer. ''Why would I wait for a call?'' He said in a questioning voice.

Jongjin laughed at him mockingly before occupying the vacant seat next to him. The coldness from the outside of the closed window seeps in through and touches Jongwoon's shoulder ever so lightly. ''Really hyung? You tell me why.''

His forehead only creased at that. Really, what is Jongjin up to this time?

''Seriously,'' He started. ''Jongjin, I don't have any idea of what you're talking about.'' He finalized. He settled back on the couch and went back on watching the rain as they fell down from the grey clouds. He waited for the sure comeback from his younger brother but none came; he looked back only to mirror his brother's expression.

He frowned. ''What?''

''Hyung, you can't remember, can you?''

His frown deepened. What Jongjin meant by that is a mystery even to Jongwoon. ''Jongjin, remember what? Could you please talk about something that will make sense?''

He settled his chin down on his forearm as he listened to the rain. Somehow, in some weird way, rain calms his system down. He feels at ease whenever it rains, maybe because he loves coldness; or because he likes the color of the gloomy cloud or simply just because. Not everything requires a reason.

Reason?

''Hyung, two months ago you told me not to touch your phone because you're waiting for a very important call from a friend, remember?''

Important call? A friend? Reason?

He stiffened from his position. His forehead creased even more, if that is possible then slowly, his eyes travel from the window to his mobile phone lying idly in front of his face.

Jongjin settled his back comfortably on the couch; eyes never leaving his brother's face. ''I asked you how much important that friend of yours is for you to warn me not to touch your phone and you said it's none of my business but that's not true. Because when I asked you of his name you said it in the softest voice you could produce...''

He waited for Jongjin to say the name because in some way the story did ring a bell in his mind. He could recall but only vaguely. He looked at Jongjin with questioning eyes when the latter made a paused too long for him to handle. But with that move of his, his brother could only stare at him with confusion clouding his eyes.

''...it's Kyuhyun, hyung. You said that your friend's name is Kyuhyun.''

.

.

.

Phone, the train, the lavatory, the cubicle, the restroom..... the kiss.

Yes, yes that is it. How could he forget something as important as that? The reddish brown hair that curls a bit just above his eyes; the charcoal black eyes, the creamy white skin of the guy who he met by pure chance. Cho Kyuhyun, how could he forget that guy? Why did Jongjin remember and he did not? “Ah…ah yeah, you’re right.”

Could it be….?

“Hyung, you’re… you’re alright, right?” Jongwoon looked directly at Jongjin and being stared like that by his only family just made him feel afraid of what could be lying ahead of them.

“Of course.” He smiled. “Why wouldn’t I be alright?”

Jongjin shifted his eyes down on his closed fist and before sighing. “You know that mom and dad have the – “

“I’m not like them.” He cut. “I’m not like them.” He said firmly before smiling. He waited for his brother to talk but the latter only stared at him for a whole minute before nodding and smiling. He walked out of the room without any more words and Jongwoon could only stare at him as his only family left him in silence.

What he said to Jongjin was something that a family who wants to assure someone would tell. And he could clearly see that his brother didn’t believe him, he could see it in his eyes.

He looked around the room and stood up when he spotted the white folder that he got when he visited the hospital two months ago that was sitting idly on the table next to his bed. After settling down on his midnight blue colored bed, he opened the folder before reading the text that was written on the paper in it. But only certain phrases caught his attention.

‘… difficulty in remembering new information … it begins in the part of the brain that affects learning … serious memory loss, confusion and major changes in the way our mind works may be a sign that brain cells are failing …’

‘Brain cells are failing…’

He crumpled the paper before throwing it at the bin just beside the table. There’s nothing wrong with him, there’s nothing. What he said to Jongjin is nothing but the truth; it is real. He stared back at his phone which was left by the window and thought of Kyuhyun. But as scary as it may sounds; Jongwoon didn’t believe in his own words either.

“I’m still here.” He whispered to himself. “I’m still here.” But deep inside his brain someone keeps on whispering; confusing him to no ends.

‘Are you really?’ And thoughts like that keeps on bringing him back into reality.

 


 

“Kyuhyun that won’t work.”

The said guy glared at the blonde boy following him from behind. What the he is doing is a mystery for Kyuhyun. He remained unresponsive like he always does for the last week when Hyukjae started stalking him. He knew something’s wrong the time he saw the guy approaching him a week ago and it may only involved Jongwoon since that’s what they wanted, right? They wanted them to stop seeing each other and that’s their only goal that is why they keep on stalking him. But this time, since this Hyukjae guy keeps on preventing him from riding the train again, this might mean that sooner or later he will once again meet Jongwoon accidentally.

And Kyuhyun could only hope for coincidences to side with him.

“You should listen when someone is talking to you, you know?” Hyukjae finalized it with a tug to the taller guy’s shoulder to cease him from walking.

“What is it that you want?” He asked. If this is more bull about him going opposite the flow he will surely wreak havoc this time. “I’m not doing anything wrong, am I? Then why do you keep on following me?” He said through an irritated voice.

“Now, now. Easy there. Goodness, why do I keep on associating myself with creatures like you and Heechul?” he jokingly said. When Kyuhyun started walking off again he immediately run to catch up with the mortal. “Hey, hey wait up!” But Kyuhyun didn’t.

The mortal was about to open the door of the restroom from the train station to wash his messenger bag since someone bumped him awhile ago spilling some small amount of coffee on his bag when Hyukjae, once again, run in front of him and twisted the handle of the door in an odd way. “What the hell.” He said; surprised.

But before Kyuhyun could react properly; the blonde guy pulled him in the room and before he knew it, he was already standing in the middle of a big aquarium that stretches from both side of him and even above his head. He was in the biggest aquarium in Seoul.

“What did you do?! I need to catch up that train!” He shouted at the smirking Hyukjae behind him. “Jongwoon… he, he might be riding that train again!”

“Yeah, yeah. I knew you’d say that. And you even told me that you were doing nothing wrong.”

“Bring me back in the station.”

“I told you. What you were doing won’t work.” Hyukjae instead replied. He walked around the big aquarium; looking and analyzing the different species of fishes swimming around them in a directionless way.

His forehead creased. “What do you mean by that?”

“The truth is…” Hyukjae made a pause first; contemplating on his decision whether it is right or wrong to tell Kyuhyun the truth. Well, it is definitely wrong for their kind but, he could really feel the need to do this. “The truth is I’m not here as your enemy.”

There was silence first before Kyuhyun erupted into laughter. Hyukjae could only stare at him in confusion.

‘Am I being funny?’ The blonde guy thought.

“Really, now? Ok, ok, what is this all about?” He said in a sarcastic tone after forcing his laugh away from his system. “You’re not the enemy? Then what are you? If you’re not the enemy then why did you keep on getting in my way, huh? Why you and your group did what you did two months ago? Do you know how hard it is to find him?! Yet in just a blink of an eye you took all those information from me, and now every move I make you were there just to make sure that we will not see even just a strand of hair from each other?!” He said exasperatedly.

“You must be kidding me.” He whispered.

Hyukjae stared at him ashamedly. He stared at Kyuhyun since the latter was facing away from him and he could only imagine the face that the other was making. “That’s why I’m here.” He whispered back.

With those words, Kyuhyun slowly turned to him with a creased forehead. “What?”

“Kyuhyun, I’m not the one handling your case anymore. That’s why I’m doing this. That’s why I can move freely now because no one is watching my back anymore. It’s like saying I’m off the hook.”

“Wait, what? I can’t understand you. What case? What do you mean by you’re not the one handling my case?” Kyuhyun asked. He stared at Hyukjae questioningly.

Hyukjae sighed. He expected this. “Listen carefully.” He said as he moved closer to the aquarium. “In our kind, since our main job is to balance the equilibrium of the earth we took cases that were a little bit off, you know, just like Heechul’s word; that kind of went opposite the flow. Like your lawyers, they took cases that went against human laws and that go the same for us. Now, your case with Jongwoon is something that I haven’t seen in my whole existence that’s why we have our eyes set in you. It is kind of unique if I may say.

My superior, Kim Heechul, gave that case to me. Two months and two years ago he assigned me to prevent you both from seeing each other.” Hyukjae’s eyes travelled down when Kyuhyun looked at him accusingly. “But then even from the start, I’m already against the order.”

Kyuhyun took that the order was to separate him and Jongwoon. But then, why would someone like Hyukjae would go against it? Isn’t he like them?

“But I can’t go against them especially if someone is watching my back. Of course like in your world, we have observers who will keep tabs on us if whether we are doing our job appropriately or we’re just bumming around.” He explained. “Until two months ago. Remember, the day when our whole team went to see you, that was the same day that Heechul said that your case was out of my hands and that someone was already handling it. And then I realized that I’m already free from the bind of someone who will observe my every move in relation to you guys.”

Then Kyuhyun concluded what he thinks that Hyukjae was trying to say. “So now, you’re here to help me? Is that what you’re saying?”

The blonde guy smirked.

“Now you’re getting it.”

“Wait, wait.” Kyuhyun said while he walks left and right as he tried to sink it all in. “How are you going to help me? And why would you do that? Aren’t you one of them? And what makes you so sure that the person who was after me now can’t see all this? If you can follow my every move when you were still the one handling this, then why can’t that person see all this?”

“Whoah, whoah.” He smiled a bit. At least he’s making a progress with this guy. He will do anything to make up with this mortal. After all, he was the first instrument that was used against Kyuhyun. ”First of all, yes, I’m indeed one of them. But before that I was once a human.”

“Aren’t you all were?”

“Hahaha, of course not.” He said as he completely turned his back away from Kyuhyun to look at the fishes in the aquarium. “I’m different. I was a mortal once but that was a different story. Then fast-forward, my superior, Kim Heechul, found me and took me in but that happened many, many years ago. That’s also maybe the reason why I’m softhearted when it comes to you, humans.

Because I also felt your sufferings once.” He whispered; intending for Kyuhyun not to hear him. But he knew he failed.

“Then how are you going to help me?”

“Hey, don’t forget that I also have the same ability that they possessed. And what makes you think that the one handling this case wasn’t able to monitor you?” he asked sarcastically.

“Then he could? If so, he could see this right now? Then how about you?” Kyuhyun asked. He won’t let go his only way to see Jongwoon again. If he needs to do anything, then he will gladly do it.

Hyukjae stared back at the water and smiled. “In this world, there are things that some creatures aren’t allowed to see that is why the creator made boundaries that will limit us to see it.”

Kyuhyun was confused. ‘Really, talking with someone who lives for so long now was hard.’  He thought. “I don’t get you.”

Hyukjae sighed. ‘Talking with humans is much harder than what I expected.’ Hyukjae thought at the same time. “Why do you think oceans exist? Why does different form of the bodies of water exist if you humans find it hard to explore it?” When Kyuhyun only stared at him dumbfounded he sighed harder. “It serves as a boundary to limit us. Not everything here on earth is allowed for you to discover, there are things that are better off not to see. To be hidden forever. In short, whenever you are surrounded by waters, it hinders us to see you; to monitor you. It is like you were suddenly erased from the face of the earth.”

“But then why water? If there really are things that are better off not to discover, then why would he use something that will tempt humans to explore it?” Kyuhyun wonders. He keeps on learning new things from Hyukjae that he might use in the future.

“Learning something is better if we are to learn it through the hard way especially if we are given choices that both could change the outcome of our situation; be it against us or with us.” He repeated his words two months ago. Hyukjae was suddenly reminded of the race that they are about to start. He already picked a side and nothing will change his mind. Especially now that he knew that Heechul was also with him on this fight.

Two months ago…

Heechul sighed, his hair was getting ruffled a bit by the wind and Hyukjae could only find it harder to focus now on what he is about to say. He just didn't know that the next words of his superior will be enough to bring him out of his reverie. ''I said that you will not be handling this case anymore. It was already out of our hands, the chairman decided to give it to someone who was more capable of bringing those two apart.''

“What?”

When Hyukjae stared at him accusingly Heechul could only laughed at his reaction. “What are you so surprised about? You should have expected this coming especially of the mistake that you have done.”

“But hyung – “

“Listen,” Heechul cut in. “I could see what you’re up to. And I know that no matter how much I tell you not to meddle I know that you wouldn’t obey. But today, we did what we have to do to avoid suspicion from above and now I want you to find out why I agreed to their decision. Why did I let them take this case off your hand? Think Hyukjae because I definitely won’t tell you.” He teased.

He couldn’t be more thankful to have a superior like him.

“Then it is settled.” Kyuhyun interrupted his thoughts. “You will help me, did I get it right?”

Indeed, Kyuhyun is intelligent and Hyukjae thinks that it might be a worthy fight after all. “Yes, you definitely get it right.”

 Now, first objective: Why did they suddenly decide to change the original writings?

 


 

Jongwoon made his way on his favorite coffee shop to unwind a little. But as he made his first step into the shop, he failed to see the eyes of the guy that was sitting silently at the far corner of the room follow his every move. But really, these past few days, it seems like he has been failing to see different changes around him. He keeps on failing to notice that slowly, every day; new information keeps on slipping away from his mind.

“Mister, here’s your coffee. Would you like me to put more sugar in it?” Said the server girl.

“Ah no, I’ll do it.” He politely declined.

After the server left, he read a line from the book that he was reading while picking the teaspoon from the saucer just beside his cup of coffee before looking at it.

He stared at it for a minute, thinking of what else could it do. Confused, he thinks about the reason of why he picked it up in the first place but he can’t remember. His forehead creased as he settled it back on the saucer and get back on reading the book before sipping a little from his coffee.

“Hmm. It lacks of sugar.”

 

 


 

 

Author’s Note:

I’m sorry it’s late; got a little busy. Anyway, here’s the third chapter. Argh, no Kyusung yet but sooner, that is for sure. Is the pacing too fast? Well, I promised to make it short after all. XD This chapter bores me a bit. I’m sorry if it’s the same for you guys. But still, I hoped you enjoyed this third installment.

Don’t forget to leave a comment or two. And ask me if something confuses you, alright?

Disclaimer:

The Article that Jongwoon read wasn't mine. :) I googled it. :)