Cornered

Frozen Heart


Yixing spins around and an ice spear pierces through the man's chest. The soldier cries out and falls to his knees, clasping his hands to his chest. An arrow whistles through the air and Yixing flicks his wrist, creating an ice shield that shatters the arrow to pieces.  "Back off!" He yells, blasting another spear towards a man foolish enough to approach him. The man leaps back and falls against the icy walls. The General watches the scene with grim eyes. His men are falling like dominoes but he is sure that there has to be a cap on the king's power. He just has to hold out until reinforcements arrive. 

Zitao urges his horse up the hill. The snow has started falling again, reacting to Yixing's emotions and making it much harder for Zitao and his men to force their way up the hills. After much difficulty, they arrive at the ice palace. Zitao barely spares a glance at Yifan, who is struggling against the hold of several guards and slams open the palace doors. His soldiers pour in around him and he stalks in as if he owned the place. It is not difficult to find where the battle is, given how loud the men's shouting are. Yixing turns to face his new adversaries, sweat beading on his brow. His eyes widen when he recognizes his brother's best friend. 

Zitao surveys the battlefield and notices the chandelier hung above them, its ice crystals glinting sharp and dangerous. He leans across to whisper into one of his men's ear. "The chandelier." One by one, the whisper is passed all through the remaining men and they surround Yixing again. Yixing stands his ground, panting slightly from the exertion. His eyes flicker desperately, searching for a way out. 

"Seize him!" Zitao roars and his men rush forward, cornering Yixing. Yixing sends bolts of ice flying in every direction as he bolts. Zitao gauges his distance and an arrow slices straight through the chains holding up the chandelier. Yixing screams as he twists away from the shards of ice falling towards him but the weight of the chandelier catches him by the shoulder and sends him toppling onto his side on the floor. The ice stabs into his flesh, causing him to bleed. 

He lies on the ground whimpering in pain. The chandelier is pinning him down and it hurts him to move. He struggles and gasps when the movement causes the ice shards to dig deeper into his flesh. There is a crash and men shouting and then he hears Yifan's panicked voice. "Xing! Yixing!" Yifan breaks through the line of soldiers and falls to his knees at Yixing's side. "Are you..." His hands tremble as he reaches out to touch his best friend. Yixing gasps at the sight. Yifan's hair is streaked with white. He squirms and whimpers. "Take him." Zitao's cold voice cuts through their silent communication. 

"No!" Yifan flings himself across Yixing's body, mindful of the ice piercing his skin. "You're not in your right mind Yifan. You've seen the damage he has caused." Zitao speaks coldly as his soldiers start forward. Yixing jerks helplessly away but Yifan curls himself over his friend. "If you want kill him, you'll have to get through me first." Yifan snarls, arms forming a protective shield over his friend.  Zitao raises his eyebrows. "That's not hard to do. Guards." 

The guards surround the two of them and one of them lifts his cross bow. "Yifan, get off. Get off and they'll leave you alive." Yixing winces when Yifan's arms tighten around him at the sight of the crossbow and whispers urgently. "No." Yifan whispers back, holding Yixing close to him. The guard locks his crossbow and aims it at Yixing's head. "Fan please!" Yixing gasps in fear. "You have one last chance to yield him." Zitao warns, holding a hand to stop his guard. Yifan's eyes darken and he raises his head in defiance.