The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway

Frozen Heart

Yixing runs, snow churning all around him, the fjord turning into a white blur. He darts through the dense pine forest, the smell of pinecones strong in his nostrils.

 

The thick needles of the pine trees keep the swirling snow from floating in front of his eyes and obscuring his vision.

 

Gripping his black cloak around him, Yixing slows to a walk, panting softly as he gazes around him.

The pine trees part and he stares at the large ravine dividing the snow mountain from the pine forest closer to the fjord.

 

A cold breeze swirls in his hair and he grins, unfastening the cloak and letting the breeze catch and tear the cloak from his shoulders.

 

He has never felt this free.

 

“Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know.” He scoffs, tearing off the one remaining glove.

 

“Well now they know.”

 

He throws the glove behind his shoulder and doesn’t look back.

 

“Let it go. Let it go. Don’t hold it back anymore. Let it go. Let it go. Turn my back and slam the doors. I don’t care what they’re going to feel. Let the storm rage on!!! “

 

Yixing grins and raises his hands, eyes glowing silver blue. A staircase made of ice slowly grows at his feet, intricately detailed, stretching over the ravine, crossing into the snowy mountains.

 

He steps onto the first step and frost spreads from his foot across the entire staircase, covering the ice in a layer of beautiful patterns.

“Yifan hyung.”

 

Yifan stirs, pain shooting through the base of his spine when it connects with the bed.

 

His eyes flutter open to see Baekhyun staring worriedly at him.

 

“Yixing?” He questions, forcing himself into a sitting position.

 

He shivers. Since when had summer become so cold?

 

Baekhyun looks at him sadly.

“We haven’t found him.”

 

Yifan glances at the window at his side and gets the shock of his life.

The sky is dark and gloomy and snow is falling thick and fast.

 

“The kingdom is in a state of emergency. We’re not prepared for this winter. We have to find hyung before the people and us, freeze to death.”

 

The thought of seeing Yixing again spurs Yifan to action and he pushes himself off the bed, cursing and swearing when his feet come into contact with the freezing marble.

 

Baekhyun stifles a laugh as he helps Yifan regain his footing.

 

“Dress in warm but unrestricting clothes, we’re riding.”

 

Yifan blinks at when a snowflake lands on his nose. He tugs on one boot and watches as two stable hands lead their hardier Bashkir horses out, already saddled and bridled, ready for them.

 

“I leave Tao in charge of the palace affairs.” 

Baekhyun proclaims his childhood friend from the village to the great surprise to everyone.

Tao steps out from the surrounding crowd, a small smirk on his handsome face.

 

“I swear to serve the kingdom with the loyalty I serve the prince.”

 

Yifan feels a stir of unease in his stomach as he watches Baekhyun and Tao hug.

 

They start out towards the fjord when Yifan recalls that he last saw Yixing there.

 

It is with great hesitation that Yifan nudges his horse to step onto the frozen fjord towards the pine forest.

 

“It’s frozen solid.”

Baekhyun stares, jaw agape with awe.

He glances up from the ice to look at Yifan.

“He must have been really angry to do such a number on us.”

 

Yifan cringes at the memory and turns his horse towards the forest without a second word.

 

“You love him. Don’t you hyung?”

Baekhyun breathes when he catches up.

 

Yifan flinches and grips the horse’s mane tightly between his fingers.

 

“It’s complicated.” He grits out at last and the subject.

 

Yixing grins and raises his hands again. He’s having so much fun.

 

“My power flurries through the air and through the snow. My soul is spiralling in frozen fractals all around. And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast.”

“I'm never going back, the past is in the past.”

He his hands upwards and ice shoots up through the snow covered floor, interlocking with each other to form a beautiful palace made of ice crystals.

“Let it go, let it go. And I'll rise like the break of dawn. Let it go, let it go. That perfect son is gone. Here I’ll stand. In the light of day. Let the storm rage on.”

Here, he waves a hand transforms his outfit into a glittering silver blazer and white pants. Icy blue boots glow white on his feet and he grins.

“The cold will never bother me again.”
 

Author's Note:

I changed some of the lyrics to fit my story so please don't explode the comments box telling me I screwed up the lyrics:) Here's the disclaimer right here:)