Coronation

Frozen Heart

 

Inside in his room, Yixing sits in the corner, too afraid to move lest the frost spreads too far out the door.

 

He clutches at his gloves and inhales.

“Conceal. Don’t feel.”

 

Slowly, he pulls his gloves off and reaches for the candelabra sitting on his desk.

Nothing happens and he smiles.

 

But slowly, as if it had felt his uncertainty, frost creeps up the metal and Yixing drops it in horror.

 

He pulls his gloves back on and sighs. Ready to try again.

 

3 years later

Yifan knocks on the door of Baekhyun’s room.

“It’s time to get up.”

 

There is a grunt, a bump and a loud “OW!” before the door is opening. 

Yifan chuckles and grabs Baekhyun round the neck before hauling him to his feet.

“Don’t get so excited. We have to wait for your brother to finish the coronation first.”

 

Yifan sighs inwardly at the thought of his best friend.

 

Yixing had emerged from his room to announce the bolting of the gates and accepting a few words of condolences before going back into hiding again. The servants left food outside his room and Yifan always hides round the corner to see how Yixing is doing.

He has become colder and bitterer. Nearly all of his old personality has disappeared. He appeared sometimes in the winter, standing in the back doorway watching them play, his face a mask of bitterness. 

 

He is yanked out of his thoughts when Baekhyun tugs on his arm.

Baekhyun holds up two outfits. 

“What should I wear?”

 

After breakfast, Baekhyun grabs Yifan and drags him out to the gardens to play.

 

“Cause for the first time in forever…”  Baekhyun trills as he chases the palace ducks around with Yifan’s gentle laughter in the background.

 

Up in his room, Yixing pulls on his gloves and inhales.

“Don’t him in, don’t let them see. Conceal. Don’t feel. Put on a show. Make one wrong move and everyone will know.”

 

He moves to the window where he can see Baekhyun in the garden, playing with Yifan.

 

He grits his teeth when he hears their lighthearted laughter float up to his window.

 

It's so unfair.

 

He thinks bitterly.

 

Why does it have to be me?

 

He curls his hands into balls and stares.

 

Yifan has shot up and he towers over Baekhyun like a giant over a mouse.

 

Yixing feels a stab at his heart at the sight of how handsome Yifan has grown over three years.

 

He ignores the feeling and turns away to face the candelabra standing on his table.

 

Pulling off his gloves, he grits his teeth and sets his jaw. 

 

Slowly, he picks up the candelabra in one hand and a little golden ball in the other.

 

Nothing happens for the first few moments and he inhales and exhales, trying to relax.

 

A scream of laughter comes from outside the window and he jerks, concentration shattering.

 

Frost climbs alarmingly fast over the objects.

 

Yixing growls under his breath.

 

Nearly there.

 

He grits out to himself, cursing his brother.

 

He pulls his gloves back on and picks up his ceremonial cloak.

 

He moves to stand in front of the mirror and just as he fastens the cloak at his throat, a knock sounds.

 

"Your Majesty?"

 

He doesn't look, doesn't turn around when he says.

 

"Open up the gates."