The Dinner Dance

Marriage for Money

PLEASE READ! In case you did not read my author's note at the bottom of the last chapter, I wanted to reiterate that I will NOT be able to upload any chapters starting next week for a span of 2-3 weeks. Therefore, I am trying my very best to put up a chapter everyday and maybe put up 2 chapters the day right before. Please be understanding! I will update as soon as possible!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She smiles at me and places her hand on top of mine, "Sis. I don't blame you at all. Really! In fact, this incident has helped wake me up. I want to make only good decisions from now on. I want to help out our family."

I smile at her. This is my sister. This is the girl I remember. "Call us or call the aunts if you need anything. Good night," I walk back to the master bedroom with Bosco.

When we go to sleep he wraps his arms around me but I push him away, "Although you helped me and my family today, I still don't forgive you for what you've done to me," I say bluntly, not even facing him, but instead facing the wall.

"I know," he says quietly.

I decided to wake up early in order to help Fa-yi and Mei-yi with breakfast today.

I'm wearing:

"Good morning, siu-je," Fa-yi and Mei-yi say in unison, smiling at me.

"Good morning," I smile back, "what are you cooking this morning?"

"We are making omelettes today, is that okay?" Mei-yi asks.

"Oh no, that's fine! Do you need help?" I ask as I roll up both of my sleeves.

Shocked, they remain speechless, probably because I'm their boss's wife and I want to do chores.

I look at them, "I'll wash the veggies," I say as I grab the bag of lettuce and parsley and start running them under water.

I hear footsteps coming down the stairs, and turn around and see my sister had just woken up.

"Ga-je, morning," she said as she rubbed her eyes.

"Are you doing alright?" I ask, knowing that she's still very traumatized.

"I'm okay, thanks ga-je," she responded as she plops down on the dining room chair. "What are you doing?"

"I'm washing the greens for the omelette," I respond, focusing on carefully washing the stack of vegetables.

I hear heavier footsteps coming down the stairs but I don't bother to look at who it is since there is only one more person in this home.

I feel a pair of familiar arms wrap around my waist. I freeze. I can't even push him away since Yoyo might suspect. I go back to washing the veggies.

"Morning, honey," Bosco says, smirking as he rests his head on my shoulders.

I whisper softly so Yoyo can't hear, "Let. go. of. me."

"I love you too, babe," he responds as he kisses my cheek.

I flinch slightly and make a disgusted face.

"Awwwww you guys are so sweet!" Yoyo exclaims.

I fake laugh.

"Don't worry, in-law, you'll find someone soon too," Bosco adds as he gives me another peck on the cheek.

I step on his foot as discreetly as possible.

In response, he embraces me tighter.

I finally finish washing the veggies and have an excuse to push him away softly so I can give the greens to the servants.

They finish making the omelettes and they serve it to us at the dinner table.

"Thank you, Fa-yi, Mei-yi," we all say as we start digging in.

"Honey, my business partners and I are going to a formal dinner dance tonight," Bosco says as he takes a bite out of the steamy omelette.

I look up, waiting for him to continue.

"So all our spouses will be there. Mei-yi will get a dress for you. We're leaving at 6 p.m." he says as he stabs a piece of the omelette with his fork and feeds me.

"Awww that's cute," says Yoyo, smiling cheekily at us.

I fake smile back, "Okay," I reply to Bosco.

I finish eating and take my plates to the sink. I then come back to the table and sit down.

I grab Yoyo's hand, "Do you want to go anywhere? I can take you."

"No, thanks, ga-je. I don't want to thirdwheel," she replies, laughing.

Before I can tell her she's not thirdwheeling, Bosco cuts me off, "Thank you, sis."

"Anyway, how's marriage, you guys? When are you going on your honeymoon?" Yoyo asks, eyes like a puppy.

"It's...good," I reply, not meaning it at all.

"I plan on taking her to Jeju Island in a week," Bosco adds.

I instantly look up, shocked as he never  mentioned this to me. "We are going next week?" I ask.

He smiles and holds my hand, "Surprise, wifey."

Yoyo squeezes her hands together as she smile widely, a habit she has whenever she witnesses something cute.

I don't even try to fake smile.

"Oh!" I suddenly remember something. "Yoyo, when is the next monthly payment for the bakery?"

"Uhh...I think it's tomorrow," she says as she scratches her head.

"Okay, I'll go tomorrow to pay it," I say.

"Ga-je, can I come too? I want to get the hang of things since I wanna start helping out," Yoyo asks, gosh I missed this innocent face I haven't seen on her since years and years ago.

"Of course!" I respond.

5:30 pm

I change into what Mei-yi brings me:

I walk down the stairs to the living room after changing. I spot Yoyo on the couch with a magazine in her hand, "Are you gonna stay home tonight?"

"Yup! I wanna relax a little then maybe watch a movie with Mei-yi and Fa-yi," she responds, putting down her magazine.

"Okay, your brother-in-law and I will head out soon. Call me if you need anything, okay?"

"Alrighty," she replies, smiling. I can tell she probably won't call me if she needs anything though. She doesn't like bothering other people with her own issues.

Bosco comes down wearing this:

"Are you ready, babe?" he asks as he swings his arm around my shoulder.

"Yeah, let's go," I say, slightly sighing.

We get in the car and this time, Bosco is personally driving instead of the driver. The entire car ride was relatively quiet. I place my hand on the center part between the two seats and he grabs my hand but I pull away.

He suddenly gets a phone call.

"Hello?"

"Hi, mom. You want to talk to Yi-Fei?"

"Okay. Hold on." he hands the phone over to me and I take it.

"Hello?"

"Hi, sweetie. It's Bosco's mom."

"Oh! Hi...mom. How are you?"

"Haha I get so happy when I hear that. I'm great thank you. How are you?"

"I'm good, thank you, mom."

"That's good to hear. Is he treating you well?"

"..haha yes."

"Good good. Anyway, can his dad and I come over to your house tomorrow in the evening for dinner?"

"Yes, of course."

"Thank you, darling. See you then."

I hang up and hand the phone back to him. He grabs his phone by my hand. After he sees my shocked expression he laughs and lets go by taking solely his phone.

"What'd she say?"

"She asked to come over tomorrow for dinner with dad," I replied, not looking at him.

"Ha. Dad? You sound so comfortable already." he said.

I roll my eyes.

We arrive at the destination and he holds my hand as I get out of the car. We walk together to the dinner site.

His colleagues and their partner (underlined are business coworkers):

Ron Ng and Viann Zhang

                           

Stephen Huynh and Vivian Yeo

                                              

 

Him Law and Nancy Wu

                              

Bosco rests his hand on my waist while saying hi to everybody as well as introducing me.

"Ron, Him, Stephen, this is my wife, Crystal," he says.

After they all greet me, Stephen comes up and kisses my hand. Although I was shocked, I didn't pull away because I was scared of being rude.

We all sit down and order our foods.

While waiting for our foods, we all talk and ask each other questions.

They mainly asked Bosco and I questions because I was new to their little group.

"When did you guys get married?" Him asked, taking a sip of his red wine.

"Last week," Bosco replied, he held onto my hand under the table probably because he knew I was uncomfortable in this kind of atmosphere.

I noticed throughout the entire dinner that the females would constantly stare at me but I chose to ignore it. Obviously either one or more of them like Bosco.

"Crystal, what's your job?" Nancy asked, raising her eyebrow but keeping a smile on.

I gulped. I could feel Bosco tap my hand, telling me it's okay.

"I worked at a bakery," I replied. I don't plan on hiding anything about me because I'm not ashamed of myself.

Vivian laughed a little but she made it seem like it wasn't in a condescending way.

"What's your family background?" Viann asked.

"I have 4 younger sisters, an older brother, my mom and dad are divorced. We own a family bakery," I replied, calmly.

Ron raised his eyebrows.

"So you're--" Nancy was cut off by the waiter announcing the food was here.

We all start eating and as usual, Bosco takes my plate and cuts up my food then switches plates with me.

I saw from the corner of my eye, Nancy glaring at me.

"You're poor right?" Somebody asked abruptly.

I looked up and my eyes met Nancy's right away.

"You could say that we struggled to pay the bills," I respond, looking back at my food and continue eating.

She scoffs, "Did you sell your body to pay the bills?"