Bill Payment

Marriage for Money

"You're poor right?" Somebody asked abruptly.

I looked up and my eyes met Nancy's right away.

"You could say that we struggled to pay the bills," I respond, looking back at my food and continue eating.

She scoffs, "Did you sell your body to pay the bills?"

Instantly, all the blood raised to my head. She just pushed the wrong button. 

I look up and roughly throw my utensils on my plate. "Are you serious?! I'm not y--" I get cut off when Bosco slams the table and stands up.

"Enough! Just because you are my business partner does not mean you can insult my wife like that." Bosco gives her a death stare before he grabs my hand and pulls me out the door.

When we exit the restaurant Bosco turns to face me and he caresses my face with on hand while still holding my hand with his other hand.

"Are you okay? Don't be affected by what she says--"

I push his hand away from my face and pull away from his other hand. I know he couldn't control what Nancy said. But none of this would've happened at all had he minded his own business and stayed away from me and my dad. I suddenly remember the betrayal and anger I felt when I realized I was sold into marrying someone I don't love. All the anger inside me just built up. I turned and gave him a quick glare before I raised my hand for a taxi.

Finally, a taxi spots me and I get in. I tell them to take me to my home a.k.a. my old apartment because I don't want to see Bosco tonight.

I eventually arrive at my apartment after a while. I walk in and see my little baby sister, Tiffany, run up and hug me.

"I missed you, ga-je!" she said, hugging me tightly.

"Awww, I missed you too!" I gently pull away from the hug and hold her hand back to the living room couch.

"Have you been doing well in school? Listening to your older siblings?" I ask, fixing her hair.

"Yes, ga-je. Look.." she jumps off the couch and runs to her little backpack, pulling out a srunched up piece of paper that has a big bright red "A+" on it.

"Wow! Good job, Tiffany," I say as I pet her head, "continue to do your best, okay?"

"Okay, sis! Can you come over more often and play with me?" she asks as she looks up at me.

I laugh but get cut off by Kate.

"Tiffany. Ga-je is married. She can't come here often," Kate said as she sat down on the arm on the couch.

I look at Kate, "It's okay," I said.

"Aww why can't she come here often?" Tiffany asks, pouting.

"She has a husband so she's staying with him," Kate says slowly.

"Awww," she continues pouting.

I look at her and put my hands on her cheeks and pull them up into a smile, "I'll try my best to visit you as much as possible, okay?"

"Okay!" she immediately smiles with all her teeth showing.

Fala and mom came out of the kitchen, drying their hands off on their aprons.

"When did you get here, ga-je?"

"Not too long ago," I respond, smiling.

"Why aren't you staying with Bosco?" mom asks, worried.

I pause for a little. "I wanted to come visit you guys," I fake smile.

I cut mom off before she can say anything more, "The payment is tomorrow right? And it's a new boss? I'll go with Yoyo."

"I'll go too."

"No, you have to watch the shop with mom and Kate," I respond, sternly.

"We're closing the shop just for tomorrow," Kate says.

"Why?" I asked, shocked.

"It's my idea, sweetie. I want to give them a break since they've been working everyday from sunrise to sunset," mom replied in place of Kate.

"Okay, Fala. You can come with me. Meet at the bakery at 9 p.m. The payment is at 10 p.m. right?"

"Yeah."

"Where are we paying?"

"At their new office. Apparently there is a new boss of this branch that has ties with...Felix Lok."

I stay silent for a while. Sigh. "It's okay, it's probably a business partner."

The next day

I wake up to 3 messages from Bosco.

12 a.m.

Bosco: Are you mad at me?

3 a.m.

Bosco: Can you tell me why your mad at me?

4 a.m.

Bosco: Please call me to tell me you're safe.

I sigh. I contemplate whether or not to reply for a while until I got another text.

7 a.m.

Bosco: If you don't call me, I'll come looking for you at your house.

I click call.

Within two rings he picks up.

"Yi-Fei! Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I'm calling to let you know I'm safe."

"...When are you coming home?"

I pause. "I didn't forget your parents are coming over, don't worry. I'll be back by then."

"Yi-Fei..."

"What?"

"Can you tell me if you're mad because--?"

"I'm busy right now. I'll talk to you later when your parents come over."

I hang up quickly.

I get dressed:

I grab my brown over-the-shoulder bag and head to Kate & Fala's room. I slowly walk in, minding my steps since they are both still sleeping soundly. I gently tap Fala's shoulders but to no avail. I pull off her blankets and poke her continuously.

She grunts and whines until she sits up, "Morning, Ga-je."

"Good morning. Start getting ready so we can arrive on time," I respond, pulling her arm out of bed.

"Okay, okay," she signs.

She changes into:

       

We get in the family car and pick up Yoyo. Bosco wasn't anywhere to be seen when we picked her up, so I quickly drove off.

We arrived at their new office.

We take the elevator to the 7th floor. We ask the secretary if we can pay here and she said to come in the office behind her.

We knocked on the door.

"Come in," I heard someone answer.

We walk in and instantly, I recognize him.

Yoyo gasps and hides behind Fala and I.

The new boss turns out to be...

Matt Yeung.