02;

What To Do With All This Freedom

''I cannot believe this,'' you grumbled, trying to zip up an overflowing suitcase. You kicked, then you sat on it, then hopped on it a little bit until you managed to finally close it. The flight was in about an hour, and the boys were on the phone, the speakerphone on. You wanted to kick Namjoon's into next week, simply because you were hysterical whenever you were in a rush.

''I'm done!'' you finally breathed, ''I'm done packing, thank Jesus.''

''I'll come pick you up,'' it was Seokjin.

''Alright.''

''Be there in a moment. Taehyung, stop jumping around!!! Yo-'' And then the call was cut off; and with Taehyung on a caffeine high by the looks of it, you were sure this flight was not going to be peaceful.

Seokjin and Jimin were there in about 15 minutes, Jimin so insistent on carrying your stuff to the car there was no way you could have possibly dissuaded him. Then it was another 15 minutes back to their dorm so you could re-group and another 5 to wait for Hobeom oppa to come and drive you off to the airport. You were almost late because of the nasty Seoul traffic, but you managed to make it on time thanks to the boys' lovely manager. That man knew every nook and cranny, every twist and turn, every God damn shortcut in the whole of Seoul city.

''Hobeom-sshi...?'' you asked in wonder once you realized their manager won't be going with you, ''You're not coming?''

''I will trust you kids to behave this time,'' he smiled, ''Don't make me regret it!''

''Don't worry!! I will watch your babies for you,'' you grinned and bowed respectfully, to which the man chuckled and Yoongi grabbed your wrist to drag you onward. ''We're laaate,'' he whined.

The feel of his skin against yours made your heart flutter, but you had no time to ponder over that.

You all tried to go though the customs slowly one by one with intervals in between, so that it wasn't obvious it's Bangtan heading somewhere. Sure there will be pictures in the end, but by then you will already be gone and no one will have seen BTS headed somewhere alone with a girl co-worker. Plus, everyone was so masked, you weren't sure how Taehyung was seeing where he was stepping. From then it was a four hour flight to El Nido, and it absolutely flew by. You and Namjoon had gotten so into a discussion that started with something you don't even remember, then somehow extended to every single movie you'd ever seen. You were grateful you basically didn't even feel that trip. The whole time Yoongi was sitting opposite of you, Jimin dozing off on his shoulder while he seemingly wrote lyrics on his phone since the take-off. Taehyung and Jungkook made a lot of unnecessary noise whereas Hoseok just laughed the whole time and Seokjin tried to get the whole situation under control. All in all, it wasn't dull or heavy.

It was somewhere around midnight when you'd gotten to the resort, and once you saw the place, your jaw almost hit the floor. The super fancy hotel was the size of a small village, with everything you could possibly need on this good earth. There were a couple of pools too, depending on which side you're stationed. The beach itself couldn't have been over a five minute walk from the hotel, since you could smell the salt in the air. The excitement was boiling in everyone.

''Is this how Kanye West feels,'' Yoongi said, staring at the beautifully lit up building in front of him, to which everyone laughed.

You all thought you were going to be led into one of the wings of the hotel, but no. This super pretty employee girl had greeted you with the information that you would be staying in the bungalows by the beach. Reservations were made for four bungalows; and once you saw them, you wanted to die. They were literally like one of those things you saw in pictures of exotic places all your life. And they were literally almost on the beach. You wondered if some sort of storm could get those waves crashing over the little fancy huts.

A few employees had taken your things for you at the reception, so it was about 1AM when you finally had everything ready and you could crash into your beds. The whole bungalow area on this small beach held no other guests but you.

''We got a situation,'' Namjoon finally said, ''Obviously we gotta give _____ some privacy.''

''Sure, sure, of course!'' Hoseok agreed instantly, trying to get to it right away. He was placed with you in the bungalow, two people in each.

''No, no, you guys don't have to do that!'' you insisted, ''It will be fine, no need to squeeze in all uncomfortable-''

''Don't you worry about that,'' Hoseok grinned, ''Yoongi is tiny as hell.''

''Yah, what's tiny, y-''

''Guys, guys, guys,'' Seokjin interrupted, ''Shut up and get the mattress over. I'm going to sleep.''

A couple of minutes and it was done. Hoseok had to squeeze in with Namjoon and Yoongi, whereas you had your bungalow all to yourself. Jungkook stayed with Seokjin, whereas Taehyung stayed with Jimin, by mutual agreement that Kookie and Taehyung should at night be separated at any cost.

From the outside it didn't look as fancy as from the inside. It wasn't too big but it was so luxuriously decorated you almost felt unworthy. Fancy was the only word you could use to describe the interior design and everything was in light colors, mostly white. You felt fresh just sitting there. You threw yourself onto the bed to find it as soft as a cloud, and before you knew it you were dozing off. You shook it off, got up, got actually ready for bed in that fancy shower that poured down from the entire ceiling of the cabin like rain, then went back to bed and slept without a thought to keep you busy beforehand.

You woke up to a soft knock on the door. The sun was seeping through the windows and the smell of salt and the sound of the ocean and an occasional gull flying past made you grin like a fool. You got out of bed to open the door to whomever was knocking, not caring you were in an oversized white t-shirt only. What you found was breakfast on the table on your small wooden terrace.

''You have to be kidding me,'' you muttered to yourself, considering the fact you may have died at some point and gone to heaven and it's only now that you're piecing it all together.

You looked up to find Hoseok, Namjoon and Yoongi awake and already munching on something on the terrace next to yours.

''Is this for real?!'' you shouted over, grinning.

''Get used to it!'' Hoseok replied, trying not to grin with his mouth full.

''Be there in a second,'' you said, went back in, pulled on a pair of jean shorts and took your breakfast over to their place so you could eat together.

You could hardly sit there and eat while looking at the ocean, you wanted to just jump right in. 

''Morning,'' Jimin joined you after a while, ''What's the plan?''

''The plan is to find some shade to chill in and not move for the rest of the day,'' Yoongi said, his feet lifted and crossed on the fence railing.

''What a granny,'' you said, taking a sip of orange juice, ''I don't know about you guys but I'm gonna swim the life out of me today. Gahhh, look at that!'' you squealed.

You took two more bites and without a word went back for your swimsuit. In a moment you were getting in the water, the slightly cold temperature making your skin crawl, waves crashing against your thighs, but you couldn't have been happier. Nothing was going to take away the grin on your face now. Jimin joined you soon for the first morning swim, before you remembered to get out of the water and apply some sunscreen. You did not want sunburns to make you miserable on your dream vacation, not this time.

You'd missed swimming so much. You knew you would feel dead exhausted at the end of the day but right now you were not tiring at all. Your beach was almost like a small bay, with rocks and cliffs enclosing it from the outstretching ocean beyond. Jungkook was your partner in crime, swimming and exploring as much as you could in a day, with Seokjin's warnings not to get too far away. When the sun was lowering and the water shimmering at its prettiest, you two had found a cave, agreeing to explore it further the next day.

You all basically took turns swimming and chilling in the sun literally until it set beyond the horizon. The other guys would go for a round or a dip, but you and Jungkook had really pushed your limits. You'd never seen the maknae eat as much as he did after all that.

''You guys seriously have no limits,'' Yoongi commented as you all chilled in front of one of the bungalows, ''Look at Jungkook, look at him.''

Jungkook was lying in the sand, seemingly close to falling asleep any moment now.

You chuckled. ''We had fun, didn't we, Kookie?''

''Mhhmm,'' he nodded lazily.

''You could have had a cramp in your leg out there, then what?'' Yoongi said.

''Don't be such a buzzkill,'' you rolled your eyes.

''He's right, though,'' Taehyung backed him up, all so casually with a bite off an apple, ''Only the two of you out there and no lifeguard in sight...'' 

When one of the youngest boys was being serious and making sense, you had to see the logic in it.

Jungkook groaned in annoyance. ''We're in best shape out of all of you.''

''No one's denying that, Kookie,'' Jimin nudged his ribs playfully. Jungkook, being particularly ticklish, curled up on instinct.

''Well, I was gonna take us to a party but seeing as we have two dead people on board...,'' Namjoon started.

''Tomorrow,'' Jungkook mumbled, not opening his eyes. The moon had risen up, but it couldn't have been later than 10PM.

''Hey, he's really gonna fall asleep,'' you laughed as you nudged him.

''Alright, maknae, get up,'' Jimin pushed him up.

''Whaaaat,'' he grumbled.

''You're going to transfer to a bed. Come on,'' and being the sweet hyung that he is, he helped him get to sleep. Taehyung joined him soon, and then Seokjin after that with words ''Don't make trouble.''

You, Yoongi, Namjoon, Hoseok and Jimin remained, now sitting with your feet in the water, watching the moon shimmer against it. Half in silence, half in conversation, you enjoyed the serenity of it all - the sound of water and waves crashing against the rocks, the sound of an occasional bird and the rustle of leaves in the light summer breeze among the trees, the smell of salt and sunscreen that still lingered on human skin.

''I could get used to this,'' Yoongi said with a sigh.

''Me too,'' you smiled.

''I wouldn't be so sure,'' Namjoon said, ''You'd get bored after a while. At least I would. As for you two, I don't think you could ever be bored together,'' he added.

It was true. You may not have shown it lately with the distance you'd purposely put between the two of you, but you and Yoongi had a lot of chemistry. It started out sponatenously, and there was magnetism between the two of you so strong you figured you guys were just really really really good friends until you started pondering your feelings. Once you realized it was a crush you were quick to get the hell away. You couldn't have allowed yourself to even be in a position where you could potentially put your friendship and working relationship with any of them in harm's way. But Namjoon knew. He didn't know anything explicitly, but he noticed the chemistry between you, the lowkey flirting and teasing, and came to his own conclusions. To the ignorance of others, thankfully. If anyone else had noticed anything suspicious, they certainly were not showing it. Which was a relief. Namjoon could discreetly tease you two from time to time as much as he wanted, as long as the others had no idea.

That conversation had gone on and somewhere in the meantime Hoseok too had gone to sleep.

''Seriously, what happened?'' Jimin asked suddenly, ''You guys barely talk now.''

It took a moment for it to sink in and for everyone to realize what subject they were on.

''Who-?'' you started.

''You and Yoongi hyung. Did you guys fight or something?''

''No,'' Yoongi scoffed before you could, frowning and sounding as though he had found the very notion ludicrous.

''Really?''

''Yes, really,'' you retorted, ''We don't fight.''

''They don't fight, they bicker,'' Namjoon smirked.

You couldn't exactly see now, but you wondered if Yoongi was maybe blushing a bit. You were sure he was a bit uncomfortable though. He wasn't the most shy guy in the world, but he could be shy in certain situations. This was one of them.

''I have no idea what you're talking about, Jimin,'' you quickly settled the matter, ''Everything is the same.''

''Okaay,'' he said, making it clear with the tone of his voice that he wasn't exactly believing it but certainly wouldn't push the matter again. Namjoon had seemingly joined him in that. The conversation thankfully turned and took a completely different course, but it was mostly Namjoon and Jimin talking and laughing now, with you and Yoongi barely participating. You couldn't get the previous matter off your mind now, and with Yoongi sitting right next to you, his hand next to yours as he leaned back on the sand, you were no longer comfortable. In the middle of some mumbo-jumbo you no longer were following, you had told them good night and retreated.

You didn't fall asleep right away. In fact, you were tossing and turning and pondering and the night was warm and there seemed to be no way for you to doze off, despite how tired you were.

The boys were still out there, you had heard only one of them going to bed, and it was Namjoon. 

Now you were feeling a little angry at yourself, because no matter how much you tried to supress it, your stupid feelings stubbornly kept lingering. You weren't even sure what it was anymore. All you knew was that you missed that boy despite being with him every day. You wanted to actually talk to him. You wanted to be sitting outside with him instead of Jimin. This distance you had purposely put between you and Yoongi so the feelings could fade away was apparently doing nothing at all and it was only pissing you off.

It was 2AM when you decided to get out of bed and sit outside on the steps of your small porch to at least get some fresher air. During the entire mess in your head you paid no attention and really thought the boys had gone to bed by now. But just as you took your seat, Jimin and Yoongi were retreating. Jimin had waved his goodbye as he went to his bungalow, the furthest one in the row. You wanted to curse at yourself when you saw Yoongi walking toward you, his hands in his pockets, his eyes on the ground. His bungalow was right next to yours, so there was no avoiding him even though he hadn't seen you yet - there was no sneaking back in. He'd hear you, if nothing else.

The very next moment he lifted his head and his eyes met yours. You were now aware you were covered by nothing except that over-sized shirt you loved sleeping in, so you pulled it over your pulled-up knees.

''Can't sleep?'' he asked.

''Nope.''

''That's weird since you swam all the way to Jeju today.''

You laughed. God, you'd really missed him.

''You going to bed?''

''If I don't trip over Hoseok,'' he replied, ''You sure you're ok?''

''Yeah,'' you said, ''It's probably the heat. And the mosquitoes.''

''You... want me to sit it out with you?'' he asked. He sounded uncertain, as though stepping over boundaries.

''You don't have to,'' you said without thinking, and only a second later realized it sounded like you were politely rejecting him, and wanted to curse at yourself. ''I mean,'' you started again, the awkwardness in the tone of your voice making your own self cringe, ''No need to sacrifice your hours of sleep to keep me company, heh,'' you finished with an awkward smile.

''I don't mind,'' he said.

''Okay then,'' you said, and made room for him to sit next to you.

You enjoyed the silence and the beauty of the scenery for a while. There was no awkwardness now. It was always natural with the two of you, and you remembered all the times you listened to music or watched movies just lazing around together sometimes not sharing a word in hours. It was comfortable then. It was comfortable now too.

''We did grow apart,'' he said after a while.

''A little bit,'' there was no other way but to admit it. It was just the two of you now.

''Why?''

''You know why,'' you said. You'd never said it out loud, he'd never said it, but somehow you both just knew. You knew that he knew. You weren't sure if he liked you back the same way you liked him, but you were sure he knew there was chemistry and a little more on your part.

''Yeah, I think I do?'' he said, ''But maybe, we shouldn't have. I don't know.''

''It was for the best. It was good, for, you know-,'' you all but tripped over words.

''See, I don't easily say this, but- I've missed you,'' he said, eyebrows furrowing a bit as though he was surprised himself by what he was saying.

''I know you don't; you don't exactly say much unless it's in a song,'' you smirked.

''This is going on my mixtape. I'm gonna make a song out of this.''

You laughed. ''I always assumed your concept would be more gangsta.''

It was his turn to laugh now. ''Yeah, sure. Gangsta from Daegu.''

A chuckle and a short silence again. You wanted to tell him you'd missed him too, but that window had closed now. You were not going back there, not by your initiative.

''All I'm saying is maybe this wasn't the best way to go about it,'' he started again.

''What do you mean?''

''Are you serious? You never even said it out loud. The problem. Our problem.''

''What do you want me to say, Yoongi?''

''Whatever's on your mind, ____. Just... get it out. So we can get it out of our way.''

''Why don't you go on and say it?'' you sounded almost angry now, not on purpose, ''You obviously know what's going on, so why don't you make it easier for me and for us?''

''I'm not the one who took a step back.''

''So what are you saying?''

''I'm saying... you never even wondered about my side of the story,'' Yoongi said.

''You think I haven't?''

''No, you haven't. You assumed. And just did your thing.''

''I did the best thing possible. I did the rational thing and you know it.''

''See, you're still doing it!'' he chuckled, but it wasn't out of humor, but almost out of spite, as he threw his hands up, ''We're discussing a matter neither of us have dared to name yet!''

''Then say it, Yoongi!'' you were now positively pissed off, but you tried to be careful not to wake any of the guys, ''You name it!''

''You want me to say it? I will say it,'' he stood up, stepped down onto the sand and faced you, ''We had something. We really had something, and you know it as well as I, and you took that away from me without even considering me, my feelings, or my opinion. Whatever the hell that was, it was real, and even if nothing came out of it in the end, the fact of the matter is you never let me have a say.''

He paused then, as though to actually finally grasp the fact that he had said it, that by saying it he had made it real. This type of vocalization of his feelings was an achievement for Yoongi, and you knew it as well as he. You also knew how much he meant every single word he uttered.

''Good night,'' he finally said and walked away.

''Yoong-,'' there was no need for his name to leave your throat. The door had already closed behind him.