Day 1

Refugee diary

We’ve met each other few years ago. A bunch of people with a big dream of doing something special in life, changing something in our not so perfect country. For others.

We called ourselves “Cube”. One says it’s from that movie. Others that it’s represents perfection and harmony, just as cube does. The cube is simple and dull at first sight but it has many unique features and relations when you look at it deeply.

Anyway, at first, it was hard to get attention from public, but with time we’ve got many supporters and we’ve become more famous. And that’s when our true troubles began.

Authorities don’t like when people speak too much or think too much. It causes society to start notice their mistakes. And they blamed us for all social malaise. They started to haunt us, oppress our members, threaten people that spoke with us. And finally about two weeks ago “accidentally” our headquarter got burned. Accidently my . They set fire on it not caring if everyone inside dies or make it to escape. Fortunately we made it but we are homeless since then. No one wants to help us anymore and we have nowhere to go.

That’s why our leader decided to go abroad, to escape from that sick country that don’t understands us. The first step is going to north. There, someone will help us to cross the border. But since our country has good relations with our neighbors we can’t stay there more than one day or even few hours. Nevertheless it will be easier to go somewhere further from there. We have many supporters outside the country, they will help us. At least our leader is convinced about that. He is wise. We have no choice but to listen to him.

Although it’s me who should be the leader… I was suppose to be responsible for everyone’s safety. But no. They decided that Dujun would be the leader while I got even more greater task. Yeah, right. ‘You will be protecting HIM. HE feels the best around you and you have the best skills to do that.’

I absolutely understand that he is our greatest weapon. He is able to unite people like no one else. His voice reaches into people’s heart and everyone listens to him (of course in case they have a heart, that’s why we still have to run away). It’s obvious that he needs protection but there are others, stronger than me. ‘Believe me.’ Said once Dujun. ‘It’s right decision, it’s you who should be by his side and you must be with him the whole time. He needs someone like you. Promise me, you’ll never leave him.’ So I promised. I had no choice. And I’m protecting him, our biggest hope, Yang Yoseob. He is with me all the time. Even now, when I’m writing, he sleeps silently on my shoulder.

He seems so weak and fragile right now, unlike he really is.

There are many girls in our group that need help and protection and since there are only few of us, stronger, left I need to take care of them as well. And Yoseob always helps me. He is strong and caring. He never says ‘no’ when someone asks him for help. And he can take good care of himself. That’s why at first I didn’t know what I was supposed to do with him. Until the first night I spent by his side.

When we’ve lost our home we made a moving camp and older/the strongest guys of the group were located on the outskirts of it. The first night we were suppose to spent under the open sky was also my first night I was delegated to Yoseob.

He prepared himself a place to sleep. We didn’t know each other very well, so he quickly went to sleep without a word. And although I set myself a place too, I couldn’t sleep. I was just sitting there, thinking about many things and staring at him, from time to time. And then, at some point, I saw tears dripping from his face, for the first time. I was so startled I didn’t know what to do. I came closer to him, he was still sleeping, for sure. But then he started shaking and sobbing heavily. Now I know that sometimes he screams as well.

I took his hand. He strongly clenched his fingers on mine, still crying like a little kid. I felt strong need to hold him, embrace, to protect him from his nightmares. So I did that.

When he felt my body close to him he let go of my hand and embraced strongly my back, pulling me closer to him and hiding his wet face in my shirt. He calmed himself few minutes later but didn’t let go of me until he woke up in the morning. And I was so shocked I couldn’t sleep almost for the whole night.

When he woke up in the morning he quickly let go of me and got up without giving even tiny glance or saying any word later. I was just observing him from half-closed eyelids as he dressed up and left.

We never spoke about his attacks. Neither then, nor ever after. Even now when I can speak with him about everything. What happens at night, stays at night. That’s what I’ve been telling myself all the time.

But I’m really glad that number of those strange attacks lessened slightly. For the first week it was everyday. But it’s fifth night of second week of our exile and only two nights I spent sleepless. I secretly hope that it’s me who helped a little bit but chances for that are quite minimal. He’s just special, I’m just normal.

 

I’ll be going now. I must put us to sleep. There is another hard day waiting tomorrow and we must be strong, as always.

I’ll be back to write something more next time. So, until then. ^__^