*Rain Love

Super Junior-Random Drabbles

Rating: none

Characters: Yesung centered, appearances by Siwon, Heechul and Eunhyuk

Word Count: 1125


The first time they met, it was by random. He’d just gotten back from a late night performance and the storm had been brewing for a while, choosing to start pouring right before he’d made it from the van to the safety of the awning of entry way that lead into the house he shared with his group mates. Jongwoon sighed and scraped his worn out sneakers as he waited out the storm.

She’d happened to walk by at that moment, startling them both at each other’s presence on the dark road. “Omo.” She said, raising a hand to her chest, eyes wide. “I didn’t think there would be another person out at this time of night in this neighborhood.”

Jongwoon’s training immediately flipped on. He noticed as he bowed and smiled at the woman, she was obviously older than he, that she looked like she’d been walking around in the rain for a while. “I’m sorry if I scared you.” He said politely. He’d already guessed by the way she pronounced her Korean that she wasn’t a native speaker of the language. “What brings you out in the middle of a storm at 2am?”

“Oh, just going for a walk.” She replied, smiling and glancing up into the sky as a particularly loud thunder clap hit.

Jongwoon learned that night while waiting out the storm that the woman had just recently moved to Korea from the States, and that she was there because of her job. A part of him wondered if there was something mentally off about her afterwards when the rain had stopped. He’d offered to walk her home, seeing as that she was not totally familiar with the neighborhood, but then she’d pointed to the small flat across the way that Siwon had mentioned someone was moving into about a month beforehand, and explained that was her home for now so she really wasn’t lost or anything.

Still, Jongwoon had insisted upon waiting for her to cross the road and unlock her door before waving and going inside and didn’t budge until he saw a light turn on in the house.

The second time they met, Jongwoon was standing outside his door, face puckered up in anger as he randomly kicked at a piece of garbage. “Are you ok?” She’d obviously had just come from her job, something in the medical field since she was wearing scrubs.

“Yeah, just…”He sighed. “Blowing off some anger at my management.”

It didn’t occur to him at that moment she might have not known what his job was, or that he was a part of one of the biggest Korean pop idol groups. She nodded. “Well I will leave you to it then.” She said, and as they exchanged goodbyes, Jongwoon realized he wasn’t as angry anymore after she’d left.

The third and fourth times they’d met, Jongwoon had been with Kyuhyun and then Heechul respectively and she’d waved at him from across the street.

Jongwoon waved back, a smile on his face, for which he’d gotten some flak from his group mates for it. “I think Jongwoon’s got a crush on the yeoseong across the street.” Heechul said gleefully when they’d gathered for dinner.

“Yah!” Jongwoon grabbed at Heechul, who’d moved away and behind Siwon, a smile on his face as he stuck his tongue out at his dongsaeng.

Siwon used his tall lanky form to grab Jongwoon as he tried to move around to capture Heechul and pulled him into a reverse bear hug. “ahh, our little Woonie got’s a crush!” He sang.

“Siwon hyung!” Jongwoon whined, trying and failing to get out of the bear hug.

Siwon lets him go after he begs off having a crush, but Jongwoon knows that it is only the start of his group mates teasing him endlessly.

The fifth time he’d only spotted her, it was raining yet again, but he’d spotted her standing outside of her house, looking up into the sky with a sad smile on her face. Instead of disturbing her, he’d quietly watched her from the awning, wondering what it was that made her sad.

By the 10th time he’d seen her, Jongwoon couldn’t deny that there was an attraction on his part to the woman across the street, and he still hadn’t learnt her name.

The 20th time involved Hyukjae wrestling with him in the awning of the house, which was fueled by the fact that Hyukjae had grabbed Jongwoon’s cell phone out of his hands, snapped a picture of their neighbor and was attempting to do something on Instagram with the picture.

“Hyuk!” Jongwoon tugs and tries to pull out of the headlock that Hyukjae’s got him in, cell phone tucked into the side pocket of Hyuk’s jacket. He doesn’t realize that Hyukjae’s been spotted by their neighbor, who’s trying hard not to giggle openly at the sight of two grown men wrestling in the doorway of their house.

Jongwoon learns later on, after getting his phone back (he whined finally to Jungsu about it) that Siwon and Heechul have been taking turns to check in on their cute neighbor, who’s American name is Anna, but her Korean name turns out to be a mix of Park Min Young and Park Si Yeon, though Heechul’s taunting Jongwoon with hinting at which combination it could be.

Jongwoon figures the only way he’ll figure it out is if he asks for her name the next time they talk.

It’s another rainy night, Jongwoon’s out on the step, watching the lighting and listening to the pitter patter of the rain on the pavement when he first hears her talking. Frowning, Jongwoon peeks out from the doorway to find her standing on the deserted street, face raised to the sky and that sad smile showing.

It doesn’t matter that she’s speaking in English. Everyone’s been told to start learning the language lately, and while Donghae and Hyukjae have been practicing constantly with Siwon and Henry when the latter two aren’t busy, Jongwoon’s sure that everyone else is just dragging their feet in hopes that 4 out of the 15 members of their group being fluent in English is enough for management to back off. It’s hard enough for some of the members like Kyuhyun, who’s struggled with Mandarin for the past however many years that SJ-M has been active, and still has trouble with talking fluently in the language, even though Henry and Zhou Mi keep constantly helping him.

It’s on that night, with his limited understanding of the language, that he realizes that their neighbor is nursing a broken heart. And it’s not just any old relationship has ended broken heart, but one that has his gut wrenching.

Their neighbor is a widow.


A/N: When I first started writing kpop centered stories, I focused on Yesung since he was on the top of my SUJU bias list at the time, and no the title has nothing to do with the kdrama that stars Jang Geun Suk and Yoona from SNSD. I was also trying out how honorifics worked, and experimenting with how easy Korean words like yeoseong fit into the writing process. Yeoseong means female. ^_^ Ironically it's raining right now as I'm posting this. Ultimately this ended up being a wash, as I think I ended up getting super busy with school work and when I came back to it, the plot just wasn't moving like I wanted it to, so it ultimately was left alone.