Chance

Love, Haneul (사랑의, 하늘)

Jongdae, we’re classmates now… I don’t know if I could resist seeing you with another girl again. You’ve been hurt a lot of times and I just have to let you go, my feelings would eventually fade anyway.

 

“Soora, we’re classmates!” he hugged me.

We were standing near my locker when he found about our new class, I hugged him back with sincere. I didn’t know if he felt it but we parted and continued being excited. “Yeah, see you later classmate!” I cheered and walked away pretending to be busy.

 

 

I was lying down on the front yard of my house, the smell of grass made me feel a little bit relaxed and the weather was cloudy. There were no noise but birds chirping and the sound of trees shaking, it was peaceful despite what was currently happening in my life.

“Kim Haneul,”

 

I opened my eyes and Kim Jongdae was standing above me, his hands were in his pocket. I stood up and just stared at him, he only looked to the ground. “Jongdae,” I said under my breath. He then looked at me.

“Your parents home?” he asked.

“No, they’re in Busan for a week. They’ll be back in two days.” I shrugged and turned around, my mind told me to enter the house and pretend that I never talked to him.

 

A pair of hands stopped me from doing that, looking into his eyes while thinking what was he doing and then he was the one entering my house.

“Who said you can enter?!” I shouted, not so loud. He was already sitting in the kitchen eating my leftover ramen and he finished it!

He then went to the living room and sat there like nothing, it was bothering me. “Why are you here?” I asked.

 

“Nothing,” he said and focused watching TV. Hello Counselor was on and actually enjoyed it while I was standing behind him, hands folded and figuring. “Dude, if you’re going to be here all day, at least tell me what are you doing here?”

There was no reaction, instead I went to my room for a while and grab my favorite hoodie. It was almost night time and I always get colds, headed out I saw Jongdae sitting at the kitchen again. He was checking his phone, when I looked at the phone – it reminded me of that.

 

The next thing I knew, he pushed me against the wall with is hands on my shoulder. I was speechless and stunned that it happened in a blink of an eye.

“What are you doing,” I started to breathe hesitantly.

“Shut up.” I felt his breath on my neck and I didn’t like where this was going, my heart was about to stop beating and I couldn’t move or think what to do next. But the whole world seemed to stop when he put his lips on mine. My eyes were wide open, confused and diluted as it seemed but he moved, I kissed him back and this time with my eyes closed. It felt surreal we were actually kissing, seconds felt like minutes and minutes felt like hours as he continued.

 

We stopped after it felt like hours, I slowly opened my eyes and he was staring at my lips. I didn’t dare to say until I bit my lower lip unconscious, “Don’t do that, makes me want to kiss it again.”

And he did, he let go of my shoulder and we moved slowly towards what felt like the living room, he sat first and then me on his lap. His hands supported my back, my arms were wrapping around his neck and instantly making out for the first time. Believe it or not, he was my first kiss.

 

 

“Haneul, you okay?” asked Soora, she was worried of how I look. I remembered waking up, showered and had a good breakfast and here I am, at her café at the usual spot.

 

But then I remembered last night, the night that Jongdae kissed me. Still giggly, not knowing touching my lips and biting my nails – Soora was watching me and her face said it all, confusion. “Are you sick? Yeah, your exam is over but you are being creepy right now.”

“Nothing really just, I had a great night.” I ate my pastry and listened to the music that was played, it was You and Me by Kisum and Jooyoung.

 

It was then the afternoon, I decided to walk around the streets and buy some snacks at the food stall even though I wasn’t hungry. There was a cute food stall that I was intrigued on, it sales doughnut and coffee. I ordered whatever was on the menu and waited for my food. It was great, exam was over and we have to wait on the results but still have to come to school of course but today I didn’t.

Minseo was looking for me but I had to apologise and cut off contact from everyone just for today.

 

My food came and I was eagerly happy to take a bite, just then some boy sat in front of me and took a bite instead. I was about to go ballistic when I realized it was Jongdae, he was in his school uniform. “I was about to eat that,” I took my doughnut back.

“It’s amazing, why didn’t I come here before.” He smiled at me, he was supposed to be mad at me – at Minseo too. Now, he just came whenever and wherever like we’re fine. I don’t take things and pretend something never happened, “Why are you being like this? It’s confusing me.” I took a sip of my coffee and ignored his gaze. I just looked at a random object.

 

“I’m sorry okay,” he sounded really sorry.

“But I was one who was supposed to say sorry to you, I hurt you and the worst thing, I lied to you and pretend to be someone else instead. There’s an explanation and I want to tell you everything, I was…” he cut me off when he held my hand and we left the place. The doughnut on my hand together with my coffee, he seemed… mad?

I caught a glimpsed at him but his face was reactionless, but I followed my gut to trust him.

 

“Where are we going?” I asked as I finished my coffee and threw it at a bin next to me.

“Somewhere you know,” he said.

“My house?”

“No silly,” he chuckled.

 

That was the first time I heard him chuckled. 

 

To Be Continued