It's On

Love, Haneul (사랑의, 하늘)

“I don’t like the look on her face,” says Jongdae. He was eating sweet potatoes in the school’s music room, Minseo and the rest of the active members that were volunteering for the summer carnival next month were there for a meeting.

 

I was staring out the window, contemplating about stuff. This was also one of the reasons why I don’t like to contemplate, getting distracted by something important. “She’s just under a lot of stress,” said Mina.

“What do you think will happen?” asked Jongdae, concerned about me. I actually can hear them talking behind me, this stinkin’ room is small. I turned around when Mr. Jang came in the room with a box full of papers.

Probably papers and flyers for the carnival, he settled down and dragged a chair and we made a circle.

 

“So, we finally came up with a name for the summer carnival,” he said excitedly. “It’s called Summer Night, since it will end at 10PM.”

“Summer Night, nice,” Minseo high fived the boy next to her, everyone nodded in agreement that the name was great and everything was organized and now they --- I mean, we just have to set up at the field in town.

 

 

“Hey Haneul,” Solji called me, she was rummaging through her locker when she saw me passed by her. I halted and leaned to a locker beside her, she told me to hang on for a sec and took a letter out.

 

It looked newly opened and someone had to tape it back, “What’s this?” I asked, intrigued. She looked behind me, then at her back and at all direction and whispered, “I saw this when Sungjoon was racing out class, probably he was late seeing his . Anyway, it was open and I had to read it and you won’t believe what was written there.”

I looked at her and thought for a moment, should I open and read it? But it would consider snooping around someone’s private – ah, who the cares. “Thanks, I’ll read it safely.”

 

When I had free period, I tried not to look suspicious and hid in the theater room. I sat down near the piano so it would make me look like I was reading piano… notes… whatever you call them.

No one was here and I can assure that, theater room was mostly used on Tuesday’s and when there’s an emergency meeting. Today, it was empty, thankfully.

 

I opened the letter and it was the handwriting of Sungjoon.

 

To Ra Minseo,

When I first saw you in Chemistry class, I really wanted to be your partner. But instead, that kid with a weird hairdo did.

I tried talking to you but… I have a crush on a particular girl in my class. I think I start to have interest in you.

You have nice long straight dark brown hair, the way you smile makes my heart melt.

Anyway, I wish you could talk to me or actually notice me. I am currently considering my feelings for this other girl, maybe she could be the one I like --- or you.

 

I hope to see and talk to you soon.

 

-- B. Sungjoon.

 

Ra Minseo? Was there another Minseo in this school?

The only Ra Minseo I know is my best friend, does he have feelings for her too? When was this written?        

 

“What are you doing here?”

I jumped and saw Minseo walking towards me, she looked eager to tell me something. Immediately, I hid the letter in my pocket. “Guess what, you would not believe what I am going to tell you.” She sat across me.

 

Uh-oh, was this about Sungjoon?

“What is it?” I stuttered.

“About the exam next week,” she sighed deeply, she rubbed her hair and looked at me with despair. She was always like that when exam is coming, she never really studies but her grades were always perfect. A part of me was glad that she wasn’t talking about that jerk, I mean, why would she? She knew that every time Sungjoon’s name pops up I would cringe and have a major headache.

 

 

“Look, you gotta stop sulking,” Jongdae lightly pushed me.

We were in my cousin’s café, in the VIP room as we’re watching TV and eating ramen at the same time. I glared at him and took a piece of dumpling from him, he pretended to be shock and took my dumplings too.

 

“That’s not fair,” I pushed him and laughed. Minseo came back with a plate of seaweed rolls, she ate one and gave us some. “So, how are you feeling?” she asked.

“To be honest, not really,” I said as I turned away from looking at them and focused on TV. I just feel like doing something, something that distracts me from everything. I may sound overdramatic but it hurts so bad, I really like him.

 

Liked

A few hours later, Jongdae left to meet a friend and Minseo and I stilled stayed and talk about stuff. “You know what, I had this crazy idea,” her eyes were wide and I know that look. She must’ve thought about it for a while, sometimes her plan can be weird.

 

“A long time ago, there was this guy, I don’t have a thing about him by the way but, Jiwon and I, remember her?” she paused, I nodded and of course I remember because Jiwon and Minseo used to be so close. “Anyway, she and I made a fake account on SNS. So, we made a fake girl to look real and coax this guy into liking us --- well, the girl. Then, they both were finally in a relationship and broke up and we stopped using it.”

 

“Wait, isn’t that mean? He has nothing to do with any of you,” I was confused but that was brave of them.

“I know, but it’s like an experiment on how some people can be dumb on the internet, we handled it well though.” She shrugged it off, it was easy for her to say that.

 

But it hit me like a bowling bowl, what if I do that to Sungjoon? Like show him how I feel, how he hurt me real bad.

“Are you crazy?” Minseo exclaimed, “But, I won’t stop you. He hurt you and I think he deserve it.”

I was glad she was okay with it, it changed me a little.

 

Bang Sungjoon, it’s on. 

 

To Be Continued