Thank You

Love, Haneul (사랑의, 하늘)

“Why are you out here all alone?”

 

I looked up and saw him standing beside me, it was raining.

“I have an umbrella, where’s your house? I’ll take you there,”

 

While walking, honestly, it was nice. I like the silence, in a good way – both of us were just walking side by side and he… wait, I forgot his name.

“Who are you?” I asked, curiously. I’ve always seen him in school, he was popular of course and has lots of friends. He looked at me, smiling and answered, “Kim Jongdae.”

 

At that moment, I have a slight crush on him.

 

 

I entered the hallway, thankfully it was quiet. In fact, too quiet and it was making me nervous. The entire student body knew who we were now, I was alone and afraid.

 

I quickly walked to my locker to get some stuff, when I opened it... it was bad news. A flood of papers and trash fell to the ground, I backed up a little and watched the whole thing fell like my life was on the line.

 

“That’s what she gets for hurting Jongdae.”

“That’s her? As expected ugly and repulsive,”

“Just like the trash that’s falling.”

“Let’s not waste any more time on her and that other girl, I’d rather do something else that’s worth it.”

 

Seeing everyone leaving with looks on their faces that was full of hatred and anger, made me feel like punching them. But fighting wasn’t the only solution, I was thought to be strong.

Instead of putting my head down, I held my head up high and walked to class. I forgot that it was exam week.

 

I walked all the way to the school’s gym and picked a seat, Minseo was sitting next to me. I sensed that every eye was staring at us, I kept reminding myself that to just focus on the exam. Then I saw Jongdae entering, he didn’t bothered looking for us and just found a seat at the back. He would usually sit with us but I knew he wasn’t this time.

 

A few hours later, I walked out the school gates alone. Some students were following me from behind and I was of course afraid, I just kept going until I reached Soora’s café.

I felt safe.

 

“How was your day? Your exam I mean,” she asked, giving me my favorite Affogato. I slightly nodded saying it was okay.

“How was Jongdae?”

I stopped the ice cream off the spoon, suddenly losing my appetite. My phone would usually be buzzing by now but I remembered that I removed the fake profile. “He was… ignoring.”

“I get it, if you explain about him what happened and why. He might give you another chance,” Soora shrugged.

“How was I supposed to explain to him?” I question in anger, “He would flip out if I explained it to him.” I pushed aside my glass and stared at the TV, Boys Over Flowers was playing. Soora kept on telling me to tell Jongdae before it was too late, I wanted to, I needed to but I was scared.

 

“I already lost a friend, Soora!”

“You don’t! You guys have been best friends ever since and he will forgive… you know what, I blame it all on that Sungjoon guy. I wanna meet him.” She folded her sleeves and stormed out of the café.

She wouldn’t… right?

 

I waited for what was like hours but frankly it was only 10 seconds and she never came back, that mother fu—

I ran all the way to her, she doesn’t know his house or location. “Soora!” I shouted on the top of my lungs. She stopped and turned around, looking pissed off. “Stop, you’ll embarrass me.”

“Embarrass you?” she scoffed, “I am doing this because he hurt you.”

 

She grab ahold of my arms and took my phone from my pocket, she glared at the screen like it was some kind of a hazardous thing. It was creeping the freak out of me.

“Great, he is somewhere near the Gangnam area, shopping I guess.” She walked first and I followed her behind, we took a bus and stood at the middle of the street eyeing every person passing by. “There he is.”

 

She walked up to him and tapped his shoulder, friendly and all smiles.

“Hey, Bang Sungjoon right?” she asked, I was hiding behind a poster next to a restaurant and I could hear them talking. “Yes,” he smiled confusingly at her.

“Is this your girlfriend?” she pointed, he nodded and put his arm around his girlfriend. “What number is she?”

I burst out of laughter, but I immediately cover my mouth and question what Soora was thinking.

 

“Excuse me?” he stepped forward, his insides were boiling. I could tell.

“Girlfriend number? I bet you have another one waiting for you right now, countless girls waiting for your answer and you waiting for them. Once rejected or not answered, you immediately zoomed to another one like a craigslist.” I peeked a little and saw each reactions, Sungjoon was surprised – figures, Soora was badass and the girl was shocked.

 

“Honey, is there another one? Who is she? Did you date her before?” she pointed, “Who are you to say all this crap, Sungjoon is loyal and I bet there is no one else but me.” She linked her arm to his and all goo-goo eyes.

“Who sent you here?” he asked. That was an odd question, but who cares as Soora scoffed and walked away letting him think or whatever.

 

 

What she said was true, after months of observing Sungjoon the jerk, he was still the same. Whoever was with him, I wish they would realize sooner or later.

 

“Did Jongdae contact you?” I asked Minseo, we were at a shopping mall near the school. Right before exam was finished we decided to eat at the food court, I was eating some spicy rice cake to let some steam off of me. “Nope, I didn’t even see him and it has been a week. What are we going to do?” she shook her head at the thought of it.

 “I’ll talk to him,” I was determined enough to talk to Jongdae this time.

 

I stood beside a tree, where I would always be when I needed time to think. I also knew that Jongdae would hang out behind the school yard.

After minutes of waiting, he finally showed up and sat on the ground. It took longer for me to finally approach him but I stopped a few feet away.

 

“Gaeun, glad you came.” He hugged her and they both sat next to each other very comfortably.

“Jongdae, thank you,” she said.

“You’re welcome,” he kissed her forehead. 

 

To Be Continued